ADVERTISEMENT

Is it really the players

Yea they got destroyed by Duke. That mattered absolutely none. In fact it helped them if anything. At seasons end that team was really good. Pj got hurt and it's hard to beat a team 3/4 times in a season.
2017 didn't get to a final 4 either
It doesn't matter losing to Duke? Then why do we watch the games??

I don't think you wil ever understand, so no need explaining to you. If you think the last 6 years are great, then you and I differ. Number ONE recruiting class, the last 6 years, no Final Fours, Losing season for the first time in my lifetime, only coach to ever fail to go to the NCAA Tournament twice, since it went to 64 teams, only coach to lose in the First Round of the NIT in the last 12 years. So tell all of us how great you are in knowing basketball. I WILL NOT be responding, since you don't know $hit about basketball. Most fans on here have forgot more basketball then you will ever know. Your just a Cal lover.

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!
Dude we haven't had the top recruiting class. Duke has consistently gotten the better players . Everyone knows that much

Of course, insults and name calling don't count unless it's me doing it I guess.
Because I refuse to be an annoying whiny crybaby a** I know less than you. Got it
If the game was played on paper you would have a point. It's not and you sure as he** don't

Wow, where do I start? There have been several guys mentioning thinking about coming back for another year and Cal said no.

The problem with taking kids like Diallo is he was a raw athlete that was not a good basketball player. But he had the measurables the NBA loves so Cal took him anyway so he could pad his NBA draft picks status and UK got very little out of him and sucked that year. No surprise. Those kinda guys are not good players until they are in the NBA for 2-3 years so that doesn't help us much.

Rankings are never looked at? What are you talking about? Murray was ranked #9 in his class. SGA was top 35. WCS was top 45 but a raw athlete.
Murray was unranked actually
He was a junior playing in canada
When he committed to uk he was moved up when he reclassified

The reason I mentioned Diallo was how he used the program. He wanted to go pro before ever coming here. Man no player has wanted to come back and cal wouldn't let them. That's completely wrong. He may have told them they needed to go and get their money but that is the only reason he would insinuate anything close

Losses in Nov. Dec. Jan and Feb. Don't matter. Only March matters. Also losing home games and total wins don't matter anymore. Losses to rivals don't matter either and the losing record to the top 25 since 2015 is meaningless. Get with the program.
It matters about as much as any other game. Def not a big deal. Teaching point . It helped that team I know

Have always held that coaching is 70% recruiting and 30% Xs and Os

Cal is certainly a top recruiter. He’s an average bench coach maybe top 50 if that. He goes as the players go. He will never have a team greater than the sum of its parts.

Wow I just googled it. I'm surprised . He was a 4 star ranked 30th
That's nuts
Title jamal murray uk lands 4 star shooting guard prospect

An uncanny inability to make in game adjustments is just simply off the chart laughable.

A team goes zone and all Cal does is make erratic substitutions and scream.

Unprepared and always deflecting blame...this shit show needs to be flushed.
The players have to be able to make shots especially against a zone.

We shot 4 of 20 from 3 and lost by 4 points and thats just because we kept fouling late on purpose or we would have lost by a single bucket.

Mintz, who has been UKs best shooter all season, went 2 of 9 from 3.

You cant win when you cant shoot.

An uncanny inability to make in game adjustments is just simply off the chart laughable.

A team goes zone and all Cal does is make erratic substitutions and scream.

Unprepared and always deflecting blame...this shit show needs to be flushed.
I certainly agree with what you wrote. But ... we could accurately say -- in about any situation, and with respect to any play or any player -- all Cal does is scream !
Your last sentence says it all.

The players have to be able to make shots especially against a zone.

We shot 4 of 20 from 3 and lost by 4 points and thats just because we kept fouling late on purpose or we would have lost by a single bucket.

Mintz, who has been UKs best shooter all season, went 2 of 9 from 3.

You cant win when you cant shoot.

You also can't win when you're not properly prepared.

Never been prepared to attack any type of zone defense in any way, shape or form...whose fault would that be?

Poor development and poor planning = poor results. He can't win without overwhelmingly superior talent
to counteract his lousy coaching ability and no longer has Payne to nurse him thru his glaring deficiencies.

Who ? Who at the 3 are u calling a big?
I know you really want Allen there but he isn't good enough yet. If Clarke weren't hurt it would be more simple

Why not try dif lineups when your team is struggling?

Basically any lineup with three of Sarr/Jackson/Brooks/Toppin

Trying lineups that are inefficient only compound the struggles.

A lot of the post on here blame the players, and some posters NEVER blame the coach. I agree that Cal needs to recruit some players that are not interested in going to the NBA after one year. Well, let's take a look at this year. We have two 5th year players, a second year player and two Freshmen starting. That's not a bad starting lineup. Sarr and Mintz, have played quite a bit of college ball. Maybe Mintz should have been the leader. At this time, I don't see a leader on this team. Is that the players fault, or the coach's fault. Jackson and Boston are good players, when they play within themselves, and don't try and do to much. Toppin and Ware could play for a lot of teams. Overall, we have better talent then any team in the SEC. We will have more players go to the NBA, then any other team in the SEC. What's wrong then? It's the coaching! If a players messes up, and Cal thinks he can go to the NBA after this year, he refuses to bench him. He needs to set him down, explain to him, what he did wrong, instead of screaming at him while he is on the floor. Cal only teaches one thing, the "Dribble Drive." I understand, that allows a player to show the NBA what he can do, speed, first step, and leaping ability. That doesn't always work in college. Most of these players never had to depend on basics before, because they were more athletic then the players they were playing against. That is no longer true. I am NOT a Cal hater, even though some on here think I am. With his recruiting, if he would just make some subtle changes, he could go from being an average coach to a good coach. The Dribble Drive works for a lot of teams, but that is not the only thing they do. You must make the defensive man guard you, and your team mates know how to set a screen, the correct way, to run the Dribble Drive. If everyone can stay back, it's hard to Drive. We saw that when Auburn's guard tried to drive against us.

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!
4 out of 5 are new to the system cal needs a boot in the ass.

Cal doesn’t adjust to his roster. A lot of coaches could have gotten more out of this roster.

Reactions: crestcat
I didn't say cal found him
As a matter of fact I'm pretty sure he was ranked around 20 something in his jr class when they finally ranked him. It was very low for how good he was I know
he was horrible offensive and set out most of to keep from being exposed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT