ADVERTISEMENT

Is it really necessary to keep playing UL?

KMKAT

All-American
Sep 17, 2003
Duluth
State forced or not, this shouldn't be a forced issue each year.

Can you tell me what benefit UK gets from this forced effort?

I'm all for kicking Ricky around each year, but this simply has no basis to the balance that should be.

What other state insists on this through forced legislation?
Because if this scandal alone, I would take a stand that since UL won't step up and force the corrupt sports program to take down Ricky and Tommy, UK shouldn't be required to accept this.

We aren't actually forced to play by legislation.

But it is one of the highest rated games every year, so I don't see it ending.

Reactions: BigBlueFanGA
To me, we keep them relevant despite stepping on them regularly. Has the forced legislation expired?
Never heard that.

I'm for not contributing one dime to that continued corrupton and letting someone else give them Yum money.

Perhaps if we didn't play there, it would help get UK get a state deal that benefits them more; oh like, if we pay there, we get 1/2 the benefits of a Yum! Game.

Punch Jurich and a Ricky in the monetary snout!

To me, we keep them relevant despite stepping on them regularly. Has the forced legislation expired?
Never heard that.

I'm for not contributing one dime to that continued corrupton and letting someone else give them Yum money.

Perhaps if we didn't play there, it would help get UK get a state deal that benefits them more; oh like, if we pay there, we get 1/2 the benefits of a Yum! Game.

Punch Jurich and a Ricky in the monetary snout!

There was never forced legislation.

Reactions: awf and ganner918
Would prefer not to play them in any sport, especially while Turtleneck, Pitino and Bobby Neckbrace are still employed by them. Playing UaVel is like diving into an open septic tank. You'll never feel clean again, no matter how many showers you take.

Yes, because it keeps us fans motivated, everyone looks forward to the game, it probably helps motivate our players in practice, and certainly is one of the top 3 sports rivalry games and would be number one if ESPN hadn't been in the ACC's hip pocket for so many years.

Reactions: TopCatCal
1r33v1.gif

I'm all for kicking Ricky around each year, but this simply has no basis to the balance that should be.

Because if this scandal alone, I would take a stand that since UL won't step up and force the corrupt sports program to take down Ricky and Tommy, UK shouldn't be required to accept this.
It is not "necessary" for UK to keep playing UL, and there are moral and practical reasons to stop doing it. But I don't believe most of our fan base wants to stop. I am in a minority here, but I feel pretty sure that Pitino will be gone in the next 1-2 years, tops. After that, there will be enormous instate political pressure on UK to continue the series.

If any UK fan doesn't look forward to this game more than any other each year they are lying. It's the one game we want to win above all others. The same goes for them. It's like Duke not playing the Cheats. The fans would hate not being able to not see it.

Yes, its true we arent forced to play louiville, but the pressure applied from the legislature was real.

Reactions: TeoJ
We have more reason to dump Cesspool U. now than we did Indiana. Let them have their almighty ACC and get run every year by Duke and UNC.

UK makes them a ton of money on these games and we shouldn't want to help them make a single dime until the entire university is fumigated, audited, and forced to honestly account for everyone and everything.

If any UK fan doesn't look forward to this game more than any other each year they are lying. It's the one game we want to win above all others. The same goes for them. It's like Duke not playing the Cheats. The fans would hate not being able to not see it.

It's never meant a damn thing to me, no more than playing EKU or WKU. It's a glorified community college that lost its soul and integrity trying to be a bigtime sports school, and unfortunately UK helped it to do that.

We have more reason to dump Cesspool U. now than we did Indiana. Let them have their almighty ACC and get run every year by Duke and UNC.

UK makes them a ton of money on these games and we shouldn't want to help them make a single dime until the entire university is fumigated, audited, and forced to honestly account for everyone and everything.

You gotta have standards and not playing a team tells them you don't like the way they don't comply by the rules. All they're doing is driving the nail in Ricky's coffin deeper and deeper to ever be accepted back here again.

Bad enough playing them because of their immoral leaders but a school that doesn't play by the rules....play someone that does play by the rules. Why keep helping a program like this!

Reactions: KMKAT

I've actually never watched the game since the Crypt keeper became coach because he disgusts me.

90% of the UK fans I know want the game dropped.

So...

Reactions: shep21754 and KMKAT
I agree with the OP. Playing UL does nothing for our athletic department. All the benefit is gained by UL. I would love to see them dropped or if that can't be worked out playing them every 5 or 6 years. Not every year. As a fan UL is not my main rival and is secondary in importance.

Don't forget that "stones and glass houses" thing.

What if teams had stopped scheduling us back in the late 80s just because we received NCAA sanctions and were placed on probation. Yes, I realize the circumstances are quite different, so no need in explaining that to me.

But ceasing to play a team because of this just seems petty, childish and a little too holier-than-thou for my taste.

Remember what Tom Hagan said: "It's business, it's NOT personal, Sonny!"

It's never meant a damn thing to me, no more than playing EKU or WKU. It's a glorified community college that lost its soul and integrity trying to be a bigtime sports school, and unfortunately UK helped it to do that.
Play them. Beat them. Stomp them until they want to play Div 2.

Don't forget that "stones and glass houses" thing.

What if teams had stopped scheduling us back in the late 80s just because we received NCAA sanctions and were placed on probation. Yes, I realize the circumstances are quite different, so no need in explaining that to me.

But ceasing to play a team because of this just seems petty, childish and a little too holier-than-thou for my taste.

Remember what Tom Hagan said: "It's business, it's NOT personal, Sonny!"

They're different in a sense that we owned up, even to things we shouldn't have, took responsibility and addressed the problems.

UNCheat and Hooker U haven't. If they get to play by different rules why would we play them?

No way! Let's play them & kick their ass every year... Trade a marquee game for SW Portland or UMKC? Pass. This is a blood feud.

Besides I damn sure don't wanna hear the UL fans and the media claim we afraid of the cheaters....

They're different in a sense that we owned up, even to things we shouldn't have, took responsibility and addressed the problems.

UNCheat and Hooker U haven't. If they get to play by different rules why would we play them?

I understand your position. I just don't agree.

Its a nice annual win over a rival. Cal's 8-0 record is a pretty sweet record against the dirty birds.

Last edited:
Its a nice annual win over a rival. Cal's 8-0 record is a pretty sweet record against the dirty birds.

If it was 8-0...if Pitino was smart, and we know he's not, he should steer away from wanting to play us. His legacy is the Titanic and every move,act or indiscretion just magnifies.
But this guy has no common sense when we thought at one time he did.

Rupp was right.

Reactions: Sawnee Cat
both schools make way to much money from the game to stop the series at this point. now when RP is gone and that story line is over, as the money from the game scandals then I would bet UofL pulls out :) of the series

both schools make way to much money from the game to stop the series at this point. now when RP is gone and that story line is over, as the money from the game scandals then I would bet UofL pulls out :) of the series

UK has max leverage over UL right now. Football and baseball are on the upswing, women's basketball is back on track. There is no reason to play UL in any of these sports anymore. UK is in a better league in baseball, football, and women's basketball. UK plays enough other bigtime nonconference games in men's basketball that it doesn't need to play UL.

Honestly their games with UK have always been better for them than us. Dropping them in all sports would be a bold move and probably won't happen, but it should.

Well, it's a long thread, but the reason we should continue playing UL is because it is the classy thing to do. I am no fan of Robert Montgomery {aka Bobby No Class} Knight, but he continued the IU series with UK during the probationary period years ago when his own fans were asking the same question. Probably the only classy thing he ever did.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT