ADVERTISEMENT

Is it OK to expect UK to crack the Top 25 in Stoops' 6th season?

Robcatt24

♩♪♫♬♭♮♯°ø؂≠≭
Gold Member
Sep 17, 2005
Kentucky has more experience, depth, and talent than they've had in forever.

Several teams on UK's schedule are breaking in new coaches. In the case of Mississippi State and Tennessee, first time head coaches.

Louisville has lost their Heisman QB.

We have proven SEC level veterans. Conrad, Snell, Edwards, Baity, Allen.

Some big time young talent who got some experience last season and hopefully become even better with the typical freshman to sophomore jump. Guys like Paschal, Bowden, Bohanna, Watson, Jackson.

The return of Dorian Baker at WR. The addition of former 5 star OL E.J. Price.

We have continuity on the coaching staff, especially on offense, with Gran, Hinshaw, Schlarman, and Marrow being here multiple seasons.

Stoops is now one of the longest tenured head coaches in the SEC.

UK is coming off back to back bowl seasons. Has winning streaks against peer SEC East programs South Carolina, Missouri, and Vanderbilt. A rare win against Tennessee.

The program has some positive momentum going.

So is it reasonable to expect, and actually demand, that this program finally achieves a Top 25 ranking in Mark Stoops' 6th season in Lexington?

If not, then when? Because UK looks to lose a lot of talent after 2018.

Several teams on UK's schedule are breaking in new coaches. In the case of Mississippi State and Tennessee, first time head coaches.

Some big time young talent who got some experience last season and hopefully become even better with the typical freshman to sophomore jump. Guys like Paschal, Bowden, Bohanna, Watson, Jackson.

We have continuity on the coaching staff, especially on offense, with Gran, Hinshaw, Schlarman, and Marrow being here multiple seasons.

UK is coming off back to back bowl seasons. Has winning streaks against peer SEC East programs South Carolina, Missouri, and Vanderbilt. A rare win against Tennessee.

So is it reasonable to expect, and actually demand, that this program finally achieves a Top 25 ranking in Mark Stoops' 6th season in Lexington?

If it doesn't happen this year then it may be a while because like you said we lose a ton after this year. Next year could be rough.

Reactions: mattrudd

Demand maybe, worried about expectations.

Reactions: sluggercatfan
More important what you have next year than what you lose. All good programs lose a lot every year. Georgia lost a lot from last year and most experts (so called) predicted they will run away with East.

Reactions: UKUGA

Need at least 6-10 more years...

I think it is posible that we make the top 25 at some point in the season if:
1.We get positive play from the QB position
2.The D line is better than last year and we get off the field on 3rd down at a better rate than last year
3.We are on the + side of the turnover number
4.The coaching manages game situations and the clock better(especially the last 2 minutes before the half and the first 7 minutes of the second half

Our best chance to be ranked is if we can open up at least 4-1,it won't be easy but it is doable unless we beat ourselves in a game we are in a position to win.

I think we get ranked if we beat Florida. Since we won't.... It's not that i don't think we can, but after last year, who can reasonably expect us to do it with a new QB? And a team and coach who have brain farts, not in every game, but every quarter! If we only have 1 per half against Fl, we have a good chance of winning.

Ps. the officials will not be our friends if we are leading with 4 minutes left in the game.

Yes, it is a more than reasonable expectation that after 6 years we as fans can expect that. The excuse of Joker and his lack of recruiting is officially done. The defensive line still scares me. There is nothing more demoralizing than watching a team rush for 300 yards against you.

I am a little worried after this year as we lose a TON of talent.

I say yes. I understand the concept of roster changes for us and our opponents and adjusting your expectations accordingly...but that simply doesn't matter.

Go ask Arkansas, South Carolina, Missouri etc if they think their coach should have them ranked in year 6. Our expectations should absolutely be that. What happened in the past doesn't matter. Isn't that what coaches say before we play Florida? That works both ways.

No it is unacceptable to expect us to make top 25. UK sucks Stoops sucks 4 wins tops. Farrrrr Stoops hire Leach now

Reactions: BlueTick2
If they do, I may start believing he is actually more just a really good recruiter, mediocre HC and worse developer of talent. But it will take him actually taking chances, being aggressive on both sides of the ball and abandoning the old school Big 10, ball control, 3 yards and a cloud of dust, mentality.

We should. However, we have been let down so often with our program, it seems to always be just out of reach.

UK football fans are like a whipped dog, we expect the worst, because of our history of abuse.

Reactions: Ky grandpa

People say pre season rankings don't matter but they do. This makes a long hill for UK to climb, beating a direction school in the opener won't move you up many spots, then the UF game has really hurt for a long time because it drops you back down, maybe lower than preseason. Then the long climb back starts, all those group of 5 teams with 0 losses the first 3-4 weeks are tough to pass. Teams that start near the top, lose a game and don't drop much, tOSU didn't drop out of top 10 early after OU beat them for example. Preseason rankings do matter. But I think UK should make it this year.

People say pre season rankings don't matter but they do. This makes a long hill for UK to climb, beating a direction school in the opener won't move you up many spots, then the UF game has really hurt for a long time because it drops you back down, maybe lower than preseason. Then the long climb back starts, all those group of 5 teams with 0 losses the first 3-4 weeks are tough to pass. Teams that start near the top, lose a game and don't drop much, tOSU didn't drop out of top 10 early after OU beat them for example. Preseason rankings do matter. But I think UK should make it this year.
If thing work out there is the chance we will move down from 73rd.

I think we should expect it. Defense is definitely experienced. No changes in coordinators. O line deeper. All SEC running back. True wide receivers coach.
At least three OOC games for the quarterback to find his footing.

If Kentucky IS gonna make that jump, last year and this year is the time.

The Cats played poorly against Georgia tech in a bowl and it carried over.
The Cats played gut check football while outmanned against a top 20 Northwestern team and almost pulled it out. If that momentum holds, the Kentucky kids should come into their own.

It is certainly OK to expect it. The bigger question is how you react if it does not happen. [winking]

Peace
good question,, it will depend on many things besides top 25! Depends on more than Ws and Ls,, how do the W's and L's come about? How do our players conduct themselves on and off the field? In the classroom? Are their efforts consistently good even though the results might not be what we want? Are the coaching staffs decisions those which put the players in position(s) to be successful? Does our staff conduct themselves with consistently good conduct? So many things to be considered before I will say it's an excellent season or a poor season! Top 25 would be great,, 8 or 9 wins would be great but even at that there would be other issues to consider!
Of course no team or staff will get everything perfect but there are standards that will determine whether a team/staff can really say this was what we were/are striving for. I think our program last year accomplished some things that we can be proud of, fell short in others. We failed miserably in the UL game in many areas,, we accomplished much in the MCB game even though we lost!
So just saying, it's just not simplistic as to what we do if we don't hit the top 25 goal this year.

good question,, it will depend on many things besides top 25! Depends on more than Ws and Ls,, how do the W's and L's come about? How do our players conduct themselves on and off the field? In the classroom? Are their efforts consistently good even though the results might not be what we want? Are the coaching staffs decisions those which put the players in position(s) to be successful? Does our staff conduct themselves with consistently good conduct? So many things to be considered before I will say it's an excellent season or a poor season! Top 25 would be great,, 8 or 9 wins would be great but even at that there would be other issues to consider!
Of course no team or staff will get everything perfect but there are standards that will determine whether a team/staff can really say this was what we were/are striving for. I think our program last year accomplished some things that we can be proud of, fell short in others. We failed miserably in the UL game in many areas,, we accomplished much in the MCB game even though we lost!
So just saying, it's just not simplistic as to what we do if we don't hit the top 25 goal this year.
Truth is if the coaching staff is out of control on the sidelines and the players are on the field, we will be looking at a losing season.
In year six, I expect the grownups to run the show and take the field.
If not, then agreed....there's a lot of explaining to do.

Recruiting Ranking for UK
2014 9th
2015 13th
2016 10th
2017 10th
2018 11th

# of SEC teams in the Final Top 25 AP Ranking
2014 6
2015 5
2016 5
2017 5

To say that UK is somehow going to break into the top 25 means that you expect us to play well over our recruiting. So the coaches are doing a fantastic job.

I'll update this post with the 25 recruiting rankings for those same years and you'll see that many SEC teams recruited what should have been top 25 but didn't make it.

Year SEC teams in top 25 - UK
2014 - 9 - 17th
2015 - 11 - 35th
2016 - 8 - 28th
2017 - 9 - 26th
2018 - 9 - 30th

Last edited:
I say we look for a new head coach if we don't get in the top 25 this year.
Can't jump on that wagon right now. I really like the way things are pointing, but that's today. Injuries, bad luck, all kinda things figure in. We could have a crew with a winning record, go and win a bowl and not hit that top 25.
Lol.....I will give it till mid season before I start looking at other coaching possibilities.

Reactions: EKCAT4YRS
Can't jump on that wagon right now. I really like the way things are pointing, but that's today. Injuries, bad luck, all kinda things figure in. We could have a crew with a winning record, go and win a bowl and not hit that top 25.
Lol.....I will give it till mid season before I start looking at other coaching possibilities.

I don't have an opinion on UK retaining Stoops as coach or not. I,don't think Antony can deny he has been good for the program. It's in a much better place than when he arrived. But the flip side of that is has he taken it as far as he can take it. I don't know the answer to that, if I could forecast the future you would see me with some big lottery checks. Its a risk to make a change, would the next hire be able to build on what he has done, maintain or take a step back. It's a risk, UGA caught a lot of grief for letting Right go. It was a risky move, but it seems like a good move foe all involved. Sometimes it's just time for a change.

Experienced - overall, yeah
Deep - not particularly
Talented - as compared to the rest of the conference, no

Experienced - overall, yeah
Deep - not particularly
Talented - as compared to the rest of the conference, no
Disagree with all accept experienced. We will have numerous draft picks after this year. We are definitely on par talent wise with most the sec. Not all but most. We will never catch the top 5 are so.

I say we look for a new head coach if we don't get in the top 25 this year.
Who is this “we” you speak of? Doncha know Stoops got an extension in the offseason just for winning 7 games??!!?!? Yippee!!! Short of a 2-10 dumpster fire or major scandal Stoops is probably safe til at least 2020.

My sarcasm aside, I really hope the Cats break through for an 8+ win season but I’ll believe it when I see it.

Reactions: sluggercatfan
I'm with Grumpy. Remember who decides the teams that land in the top 25. We have rarely if ever been the media darlings. Even with a running back leading the SEC in yardage we can't get any love. It matters where the media ranks you preseason. We were within a whisker of beating a 10-win team, in our bowl game, who beat Michigan State during the season.

Welcome to the Rodney Dangerfield of college football. Not only do we have to win the games, but we also have to overcome a lazy and biased media to a large extent. The media is in their comfort zone putting us near the end of their preseason rankings because that is where we have historically ended our seasons.

If our running back, who has accomplished in two seasons what only two goats of the SEC have done throughout history, cannot get well deserved recognition how does the team achieve it?

Disagree with all accept experienced. We will have numerous draft picks after this year. We are definitely on par talent wise with most the sec. Not all but most. We will never catch the top 5 are so.
Explain how we are on par with the other teams in talent. We may be on par with 3 or 4 teams. All the rest have superior talent.

ADVERTISEMENT