ADVERTISEMENT

Is Herro Positioning Himself To Be OAD?

Just a stupid post.

55.7% from 2

89.5% from the free-throw line

33.3% from 3

His overall stats. The full sample size. He struggled from 3 early. He’s actually been shooting the 3 a lot better recently. But that doesn’t matter. You all wanna bitch about something. Go for it.
Trying to convince themselves he’s coming back.

Reactions: CatfanMike47
Tell Auburn that Herro’s weakest attributes is 3 point shooting. Hell, tell UL and UNC too. Vandy didn’t think he could hit threes so they literally did a box-and-chase.

If you were a coach, would your scouting report say “Herro - below average three, give space, dare to shoot.”

Because it's his weakest doesn't mean he's awful. He's just way better at mid range and finishing at the rim. The percentages speak for themselves

Because it's his weakest doesn't mean he's awful. He's just way better at mid range and finishing at the rim. The percentages speak for themselves
His strong suit is still 3 point shooting. Players are just now figuring out their roles. Point guards, wings, and posts are learning the offense and running much better sets. More open looks are happening and thus Herro is picking up the pace on his threes. Herro is the perimeter dagger we needed last year. KJ is our dagger in the lanes. I’m truly more confident about winning games against top teams cause it raises our level and f play and forces our team to do their ROLES.

Tell Auburn that Herro’s weakest attributes is 3 point shooting. Hell, tell UL and UNC too. Vandy didn’t think he could hit threes so they literally did a box-and-chase.

If you were a coach, would your scouting report say “Herro - below average three, give space, dare to shoot.”

But, is he doing it enough to warrant taking him in the first 45 picks (don't think he would go if he wasnt a 1st rounder or early 2nd at the worst) ?

Not a lot of GMs will be clamoring for a 6'4 SG. He's not a guy with that "yeah but think about what he can develop into" type of potential. You sort of know what you have with Herro and Tyler isn't exactly built for the NBA.

I think he really needs to show out the last few months to be 1AD. And even then, not sure he's the type of guy to bolt just to be the 47th pick.

Reactions: KeepingItReal74
Whatever, dude. btw, Azibuike at Kansas fits your model. He was projected late first round last year, went back to Kansas. Where do you think he's gonna end up?

Good thing he passed up that guaranteed contract, money, NBA roster spot. Because coming back and getting drafted in the mid 2nd round is gonna work out great. Just great. He should be thanking you for the validation.

He will have a senior year to get back on track plus he wasn’t OAD so that doesn’t fit any model. There’s a difference between a sophomore who edges into the first rd and a freshman whose body has yet to develop. Guys like herro and hagans can only benefit by a sophomore year. They will be far from demonstrating what they can do.

Just not true. He shoots 33%. He's exceptional scoring mid-range and at the rim. Only mediocre shooting the three.
I understand where you are coming from and respect your use of statistics. Herro will be the guy we want shooting the last second three to tie and win. He’s setting it off in every major game we play. Without his clutch threes against Auburn we don’t win. Auburn is our biggest win to date. Bet Auburn wishes those stats meant something.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
Just a stupid post.

55.7% from 2

89.5% from the free-throw line

33.3% from 3

His overall stats. The full sample size. He struggled from 3 early. He’s actually been shooting the 3 a lot better recently. But that doesn’t matter. You all wanna bitch about something. Go for it.

We were clearly talking about his 3-point shooting. Try to keep up. 33% from the college line is not good. This isn’t arguable.

It will far more times than not. And it’s not”staying in school” it’s increasing your stock by proving more. These guys have 10 million dollar insurance policies to hedge against injury. And to the bird in hand garbage, that’s not how people become wealthy. Hagans for instance if he goes and is a late first rounder that would be an awful decision bc he has lottery potential as a sophomore. Potential cuts many different ways.

Which guys, specifically, have “$10 million dollar insurance policies?”

I personally trust Herro to make a three more than anyone else on the team. His percentage is not great because he struggled badly the ten or so games of the year. He is a pure shooter though, make no mistake about it.

Reactions: CatfanMike47
Yep, I think I read where he is on the trade block with some team, still has ok stats for a kid that I didn't think had a chance.

And has already made more in his time in the NBA that most on this board will ever make in their life times. So I'd say he made a pretty good decision lol

Reactions: Poetax
I understand where you are coming from and respect your use of statistics. Herro will be the guy we want shooting the last second three to tie and win. He’s setting it off in every major game we play. Without his clutch threes against Auburn we don’t win. Auburn is our biggest win to date. Bet Auburn wishes those stats meant something.

Depends on the game. Keldon was Mr clutch so far although Tyler definitely filled that role last game

Reactions: JC43
Keldon hit a half court shot, that doesnt make him clutch. More like lucky lol But I digress.

He hit at least one other clutch three that game. I'm almost certain he hit two - one to keep us alive in regulation (before the half court shot) then another in OT.

Incredible clutch performance.

I love herro too folks. But cmon

Reactions: JC43
Bottom line. Herro is the best pure shooter on the team. He’s our most rounded basketball player too. I did not think Booker was ready nor would he blow up the way he did once in the league. My opinion is that Herro is further along than Booker was at the same time. Do I hope he stays one more year, yes. Do I think he will? I’m 50/50 right now.

According to a mock draft, Herro will be the third chosen player off this UK team.

Bottom line. Herro is the best pure shooter on the team. He’s our most rounded basketball player too. I did not think Booker was ready nor would he blow up the way he did once in the league. My opinion is that Herro is further along than Booker was at the same time. Do I hope he stays one more year, yes. Do I think he will? I’m 50/50 right now.

According to a mock draft, Herro will be the third chosen player off this UK team.
Booker was a better athlete and bigger. He also has an ideal release point (high) on his jumper which is huge in the NBA.

He’s very skilled. Can score on all levels. Plays better in hostile environments. Just like his HS films show.
I really didn't hear much about him until he signed with UK. Was he heavily recruited??

Booker was a better athlete and bigger. He also has an ideal release point (high) on his jumper which is huge in the NBA.
Very good point on the release point. Not so certain on athletics side. In college, my opinion is Booker was less mobile, and Herro seems more agile and quicker.

I really didn't hear much about him until he signed with UK. Was he heavily recruited??

He was committed to Wisconsin, so I don’t think he was heavily recruited. Pretty sure he sent feelers to UK, saw mutual interest, decommitted, and it was pretty much a 1 horse race from there. I remember hearing/reading that he wanted a blue blood. Specifically UK/Duke.

He was committed to Wisconsin, so I don’t think he was heavily recruited. Pretty sure he sent feelers to UK, saw mutual interest, decommitted, and it was pretty much a 1 horse race from there. I remember hearing/reading that he wanted a blue blood. Specifically UK/Duke.
Just glad he's here with us.

Very good point on the release point. Not so certain on athletics side. In college, my opinion is Booker was less mobile, and Herro seems more agile and quicker.
Yeah, Booker did not show much on his first step in his year here. He was all catch and shoot. Having Ulis helped.

Yeah, Booker did not show much on his first step in his year here. He was all catch and shoot. Having Ulis helped.
Best answer!!!!!!! Ulis was able to spot up shooters. How many times has Herro been spotted up in comparison? Yet some say Herro can’t create for himself.

This team has much more talent than some give credit for. Hagans, Keldon, Quickly, and Herro are just getting acclimated to their respective positions. That’s why I’m pretty excited about the rest of the season. More impressive improvements going in to February and we are set for an exciting tournament season in March.

Reactions: qwesley
I think Tyler has a chance to be OAD. If he is NOT lottery, he NEEDS to come back. Tyler could be top 10 next year as a sophmore.

Right now the only ones who will probably leave = Hagans, Washington, Johnson and for obvious reasons, Travis.

Herro is a very good player. His problem is consistency, and creating his own shot. It would be in his best interest to return next yr. He’s no where near being ready to go yet. Next game he could go out and score 3 points on 1-10 shooting. That’s doesn’t translate to a long nba career. Why take the quick money and likely be out of the league in 3 years? His best option would be to return for another 3 years. He was going to go to Wisconsin where we all know he would of been atleast a 3 year player. The Kentucky effect can be a blessing and a curse
Agree with a lot but

He can create his own shot he does every game

I think Tyler has a chance to be OAD. If he is NOT lottery, he NEEDS to come back. Tyler could be top 10 next year as a sophmore.

Right now the only ones who will probably leave = Hagans, Washington, Johnson and for obvious reasons, Travis.
I agree. For now, draft board has Herro going before Hagans.

Reactions: Farsight
Really I wish the one and done would be done away with. You are only young once and the money will always be there. Enjoy you youth while you can. I know I did mine.

I don't think he is ready for the NBA just yet. There are a lot of good shooters in the NBA. It would benefit him a lot to come back and grow as a player.

Reactions: KeepingItReal74
Really I wish the one and done would be done away with. You are only young once and the money will always be there. Enjoy you youth while you can. I know I did mine.

I don't think he is ready for the NBA just yet. There are a lot of good shooters in the NBA. It would benefit him a lot to come back and grow as a player.

Money won't always be there. I don't understand those of you that are so ok with blowing off a couple million dollars.

You get injured--boom career gone.

When you say you enjoyed your youth--did you go on to make millions?

I agree. For now, draft board has Herro going before Hagans.

Hagans is on a 1st round and maybe a lottery trajectory wherever he is currently slotted.

No sense worrying much about any of this because it is all very fluid but I'm penciling in PJ, Keldon, and Ashton as early entrants with Tyler at about 60% but falling by the week odds of returning.

If his arms were a couple inches longer then he'd probably be near 50/50 already

Reactions: Joerupp
Money won't always be there. I don't understand those of you that are so ok with blowing off a couple million dollars.

You get injured--boom career gone.

When you say you enjoyed your youth--did you go on to make millions?

I doubt many of went on to make millions. As the old saying goes money is not everything. I know a lot of people who have a lot of money and it does not bring happiness.

I doubt many of went on to make millions. As the old saying goes money is not everything. I know a lot of people who have a lot of money and it does not bring happiness.

You're trying to make this some grand life philosophical message.

An NBA career is very short lived. You've got to get paid while you can. Taking 2 million dollars to play pro ball isn't saying money is everything. It's being smart about your financial future.

He will go pro and so will EJ and Hagans and KJ and PJ and possibly Richards. Fans will be amazed at how this team sent 5-6 guys packing.

Richards is a perfect example of why go pro as early as possible. The NBA is raking in the dough (see my other thread about ratings), and, as many have mentioned, drafting on potential. Take a look at how pro soccer teams do it overseas. They go after grade schoolers if the potential is there.

Get paid asap...the truth is for a lot of these kids they won't develop into a star...that's not new though. Anybody remember Felipe Lopez or countless other names that were supposed to blow up in college and didn't? Why give NBA scouts more time to see your weaknesses. In college, the better you are the more other teams scout you and shut you down. This increases the chance of injury, and revealing weaknesses in any element of your game, poise, durability, media interaction...

And what are kids getting in exchange? Seriously, if any of you have insight on the AAU circuit, you realize that these kids have been working towards the pros for nearly a decade by the time they get to college. Working on their game is the only thing that matters to them. The ONLY reason they come to UK is for exposure to help them get there. You think Cal doesn't use SGA as the perfect pitch..."Hey even 4 star players get enough exposure to go lottery at UK". You think SGA would have gone pro after the same year at any second or third tier college? Nope. You think college coaches wouldn't have been more prepared to shut him down this season thereby diminishing his value?

Reactions: Ky_Bred_Cat
At 50,000 a year it takes 20 years to make a million and taxes are paid on that too.

A million or two is a far better foundation for a lifetime than another year or three of college even if you get the average undergrad degree no matter how you slice it.

People need to also accept that staying is no longer a golden ticket to improved draft status especially after a sophomore season. The NBA just selects very few upperclassmen and these guys are outliers of outliers especially seniors.

Give me an example and I'll give you like 15 Freshman and Sophomores to counter the anecdotal "evidence".

ADVERTISEMENT