ADVERTISEMENT

Is Herro Positioning Himself To Be OAD?

Please no! Was really hoping to see him grow into our leader as an upperclassman. Saw this tweet though, scary good.

Tyler Herro over his last 6 games:

50% FG

41.4% 3pt FG

100% FT
He’s much further I had now them SGA was at the same time last year. He’s also a better athlete than SGA.

Can't imagine he gets anywhere near the first round. He's got a nice feel for the game but his lack of athleticism (for NBA standards) and poor outside shooting will scare teams away.

That is such a good point. It's like if a regular student was writing for the Ky Kernel on campus and ESPN called and offered a 6 figure salary to them because they were such a talented writer- pretty sure we'd all leave school before graduation in that scenario.

That said, I never blame someone for leaving early but there is a difference between getting drafted and being ready.

I love Herro's game, nothing I can really pick apart. But...first round pick or not he will get toasted in the league unless he gets significantly stronger and puts on some lbs. Hangans similarly needs to be able to shoot the ball, if not he will spend his career overseas or in d-league.

There is no reason Hereo can’t succeed. JJ Reddick could shoot way better but was no better in all other areas. He worked hard and became a decent defender and has stayed around for a decade plus.

Reactions: dakid_0812
Herro is a perfect guy to go to the predraft combines and get feedback. Can’t blame a kid for leaving if he gets a first round guarantee.

Now, I don’t see that PJ’s stock is any higher this year than last year. Any chance he comes back?

Reactions: HagginHall1999
There is no reason Hereo can’t succeed. JJ Reddick could shoot way better but was no better in all other areas. He worked hard and became a decent defender and has stayed around for a decade plus.

You may be right but I think Tyler needs 2-3 years of college to develop into the best version of himself. Maybe he goes and is Top 20 and plays 12-15 years. Like I said, I like the guy...jmho of his build now. He isn't amazing at anything but is good at a lot. I guess what I am saying is if he stays 2-3 years he could be lottery pick and get stronger/bigger.

Reddick is not a great comp. He was a 4 year player (I believe) and has to be up there in all time great cbball shooters. Point being, Reddick is a dead eye shooter, that will keep you in league forever.

Reactions: ABlockalypseBrow
That is such a good point. It's like if a regular student was writing for the Ky Kernel on campus and ESPN called and offered a 6 figure salary to them because they were such a talented writer- pretty sure we'd all leave school before graduation in that scenario.

That said, I never blame someone for leaving early but there is a difference between getting drafted and being ready.

I love Herro's game, nothing I can really pick apart. But...first round pick or not he will get toasted in the league unless he gets significantly stronger and puts on some lbs. Hangans similarly needs to be able to shoot the ball, if not he will spend his career overseas or in d-league.

If you have a talent for writing in college and ESPN offers you a job to write, the pen, pad, chair you sit in, style, talent, ability, all stays the same. There’s no risk really. There’s also not a HOF that’s known to billions of people, and achievements that competitors live for and some gain immortality.

Leaving too early for the NBA has cost players billions (we just don’t discuss it and it’s tough to measure) but we know it’s happening. It’s also cost players legacies, careers, and more.

People today are so greedy and consumed by the dollar that they think so short sighted.

Michael Jordan may have never became Michael Jordan had he been a OAD. Maybe K Brown would have been a stud for years and years had he played a few years in college. Confidence is a real thing that effects many players. And it’s easy to lose it.

Every player is different. Just because money is there doesn’t mean, at all, that every or lost or even half should jump immediately.

Injuries can happen, you can lose draft spots, but even then, there are many players who feel confidence from making that decision and they stick in the NBA for years and years. If you become so injured or so garbage because of an extra year or two of college ball, then I’d submit you weren’t meant to be an NBA player in the first place. Something else meant for you.

He isn't a poor shooter. They're tinkering with his shot and that has him missing, for now. When he stops thinking, he is deadly.

But if he comes back and shows that deadly shooting ability, along with muscling up some and improving his other skills - could he not turn himself into a lottery pick, even a high one? And I’m pretty sure that, in addition to the better contract, a lot more opportunities in the league are given to a lottery pick than a borderline 1st/2nd round pick.

But if he comes back and shows that deadly shooting ability, along with muscling up some and improving his other skills - could he not turn himself into a lottery pick, even a high one? And I’m pretty sure that, in addition to the better contract, a lot more opportunities in the league are given to a lottery pick than a borderline 1st/2nd round pick.
I never disagreed with that position.

Reactions: ABlockalypseBrow
Herro is a perfect guy to go to the predraft combines and get feedback. Can’t blame a kid for leaving if he gets a first round guarantee.

Now, I don’t see that PJ’s stock is any higher this year than last year. Any chance he comes back?

I hope PJ can go 1st round, because I believe that the addition of Whitney and Allen will be more than enough to make up for his loss.

Reactions: CatfanMike47
If you are expecting him back you aren’t paying attention. He will be gone at the end of the year, that’s why they come here. Play in the spotlight and go to the league. He has all the potential in the world.

Assume they are leaving when the season is over until proven otherwise.

That lesson ought to have been ingrained in every UK fan by now.

Reactions: Jmeeks54thebest
Herro is a very good player. His problem is consistency, and creating his own shot. It would be in his best interest to return next yr. He’s no where near being ready to go yet. Next game he could go out and score 3 points on 1-10 shooting. That’s doesn’t translate to a long nba career. Why take the quick money and likely be out of the league in 3 years? His best option would be to return for another 3 years. He was going to go to Wisconsin where we all know he would of been atleast a 3 year player. The Kentucky effect can be a blessing and a curse
I’m not trying to disrespect. But no one is setting him up for shots unless he’s coming hard off a screen. Go watch the Auburn game. Nearly every point he got was self created. And damn, those finishes at the rim against defenders.

Don’t follow the draft boards, only what I hear mainly on this board. But my understanding is he is just now starting to be projected and even still as a second rounder.

So, just not sure he is gonna be one of the sure fire OAD bc he didn’t come in with the hype that almost always those type of guys do. He is athletic and has the height and ability, but he strikes me as a two year guy.

But what the hell do I know. These guys need to do what is best for them. He like all our guys will test the draft and if he gets a first round assurance, he gone. As he should be.

All he needs is a good NCAA tournament to sky rocket himself. Is it selfish that I want him to be the best he can be but JUST not good enough to be wanted in the first round?

You think if knox had only a first rd guarantee last year he woulda gone?

Uh, yeah. He would have.

What rock you smoking? Are you telling me, that if you are a basketball player, a great one, a college freshman; You finish the season, an NBA team gives you the guarantee that you will be their first round pick. You pass that up because you feel you can improve your stock? That’s what you would do?

I’m not talking about Kentucky players, any specific players. I’m talking basketball player. If you are the player, and you turn down a first round guarantee, you are not bright. This is my opinion. I would take that guarantee to become a millionaire. Too many things can happen. This is just my opinion.

Yeah, and if that's crazy, just think of all the people who opt away from grad school because of random, above-poverty level salary opportunities.
Sure, why don't you name a few?

Yea we do. His name is Keldon Johnson, and he will be a lottery pick.
True. And if Herro keeps setting it off, then he very well could be too. NBA teams are following the Warriors recipe for building a team. Teams are looking for the next Klay Thompson ala Booker.

I want Herro back, yes. But he’s developing rapidly and tough opponents will see him and others thriving too.

Reactions: Chuckinden
True. And if Herro keeps setting it off, then he very well could be too. NBA teams are following the Warriors recipe for building a team. Teams are looking for the next Klay Thompson ala Booker.

I want Herro back, yes. But he’s developing rapidly and tough opponents will see him and others thriving too.

If Herro was a top 10 5 star recruit, it would be no question. I’m so glad he was undervalued. A dude like him coming back is tremendous for the program. He’s a pure basketball player. You always see that dude on national title teams. Glue and then some. Nothing flashy, but the box score shows 18-20 points. Just efficient as hell.

grayson allen stayed 4 yrs, best comparison i can think of for herro. hell be back for at least next year

If Herro was a top 10 5 star recruit, it would be no question. I’m so glad he was undervalued. A dude like him coming back is tremendous for the program. He’s a pure basketball player. You always see that dude on national title teams. Glue and then some. Nothing flashy, but the box score shows 18-20 points. Just efficient as hell.
Perfect points. Although that scoop with and 1 during the Auburn game was a tad flashy.

Reactions: Mike-D
He shouldn't be going anywhere unless he just goes absolutely crazy the rest of the year. I say that but every year lately we have somebody who leaves early who has no business leaving early.

Lamb, Ulis, Johnson, Briscoe, Gabriel, the Harrisons, Vanderbilt, Diallo. And that's just the guys who didn't get a first round pick. Orton, Teague, Young and Goodwin probably wish they didn't jump ship so quickly these days even with that first round money. Another year and those guys are getting a ton more just based on draft position, even if they aren't able to cut it in pros.

Not just a shooter either. He can drive to the basket and use either hand. That's something that a lot of players just don't do in today's game.

His percentages over a large sample size say otherwise.

Just a stupid post.

55.7% from 2

89.5% from the free-throw line

33.3% from 3

His overall stats. The full sample size. He struggled from 3 early. He’s actually been shooting the 3 a lot better recently. But that doesn’t matter. You all wanna bitch about something. Go for it.

I don't think he will be oad. First it's a deep class on the wing. He doesn't have great measuables. And three point shooting (his perceived strength) is actually his weakest attribute.
Tell Auburn that Herro’s weakest attributes is 3 point shooting. Hell, tell UL and UNC too. Vandy didn’t think he could hit threes so they literally did a box-and-chase.

If you were a coach, would your scouting report say “Herro - below average three, give space, dare to shoot.”

ADVERTISEMENT