ADVERTISEMENT

Is Herro Positioning Himself To Be OAD?

Chuckinden

All-American
Jun 12, 2006
Allegedly the NBA drafts on potential, he seems to have a great future ahead of him.

Don’t follow the draft boards, only what I hear mainly on this board. But my understanding is he is just now starting to be projected and even still as a second rounder.

So, just not sure he is gonna be one of the sure fire OAD bc he didn’t come in with the hype that almost always those type of guys do. He is athletic and has the height and ability, but he strikes me as a two year guy.

But what the hell do I know. These guys need to do what is best for them. He like all our guys will test the draft and if he gets a first round assurance, he gone. As he should be.

Anybody but KJ and PJ not coming back will be same old shit, different year, and actually everybody needs to come back.

Reactions: Sawnee Cat
Sick of this “nba drafts on potential” garbage. No offense op. There’s value in returning, proving your potential and raising your draft stock. The value is millions and millions
I agree. That's why I said is he positioning himself to be OAD.

Reactions: Sawnee Cat
I expect him back for a second year. Has a negative wingspan and his shooting percentage is just good but not eye opening.

Reactions: westerncat
We really don't have anyone that should leave early.

Yeah we said that last year about Knox. Still a lot of the season left for somebody to explode like Alexander did last year. If we win the NC, I won't be upset if they leave.

His defense has gotten a lot better, and I don't feel he's a defensive liability at this point.

But I don't think he's at the point where he can guard in the NBA. I think he's back at least for a 2nd year.

Herro is a very good player. His problem is consistency, and creating his own shot. It would be in his best interest to return next yr. He’s no where near being ready to go yet. Next game he could go out and score 3 points on 1-10 shooting. That’s doesn’t translate to a long nba career. Why take the quick money and likely be out of the league in 3 years? His best option would be to return for another 3 years. He was going to go to Wisconsin where we all know he would of been atleast a 3 year player. The Kentucky effect can be a blessing and a curse

Why would he want to leave? Let me guess. Money is everything.

Been saying it for a few weeks. At some point this year he will go on a tear. And he will end up in the draft. Bittersweet when UK players start playing really well. You know they won’t be around next year.

Any player with a first round guarantee would have to be a dumb ass to stay in college.

Lies this is the garbage ruining college basketball. If you’re a freshman and you’re projected say number 25 you’d be a big time idiot to leave and not prove you’re value as a top ten pick the following year. This first rd guarantee talk is zombie kool aid drinkin lame ass ruin of college basketball.

Lies this is the garbage ruining college basketball. If you’re a freshman and you’re projected say number 25 you’d be a big time idiot to leave and not prove you’re value as a top ten pick the following year. This first rd guarantee talk is zombie kool aid drinkin lame ass ruin of college basketball.
Unfortunately, all you have to do is wave a million dollars at a 19 year old kid and that's all it takes to sway him away.

Anybody but KJ and PJ not coming back will be same old shit, different year, and actually everybody needs to come back.
Wrong . No way anyone can say that at this point . To do so would be silly. If the season ended today herro would be drafted between 25-40 . SO IMO he would be back but if he continues to improve he could work his way into a top 20 pick which then he should and would leave. Right now the 3 guys who would leave are Hagans ( and he has said he came to Uk as it was the one school he knew could get him to the NBA in 1 year ) , PJ ( top 25 pick ) and KJ ( top 10 pick ) . Travis as well would be drafted.

Year in and year out people pay way too much attention to what the kid does on the floor instead of what the kid shows he COULD do eventually in the NBA. The NBA drafts on potential . That is why Booker was a lotto pick when he wasn't even a top 75 player his 1 year in college.

Wrong . No way anyone can say that at this point . To do so would be silly. If the season ended today herro would be drafted between 25-40 . SO IMO he would be back but if he continues to improve he could work his way into a top 20 pick which then he should and would leave. Right now the 3 guys who would leave are Hagans ( and he has said he came to Uk as it was the one school he knew could get him to the NBA in 1 year ) , PJ ( top 25 pick ) and KJ ( top 10 pick ) . Travis as well would be drafted.
I think a lot of this will be influenced by what happened at the end of the season. If we do make the FF obviously a lot of players' stock will rise. We'll just have to wait and see how this plays out.

Any player with a first round guarantee would have to be a dumb ass to stay in college.

That is such a good point. It's like if a regular student was writing for the Ky Kernel on campus and ESPN called and offered a 6 figure salary to them because they were such a talented writer- pretty sure we'd all leave school before graduation in that scenario.

That said, I never blame someone for leaving early but there is a difference between getting drafted and being ready.

I love Herro's game, nothing I can really pick apart. But...first round pick or not he will get toasted in the league unless he gets significantly stronger and puts on some lbs. Hangans similarly needs to be able to shoot the ball, if not he will spend his career overseas or in d-league.

Well fortunately.. He's not our usual nba-potential type player. He's a guy who really needs to prove himself to the scouts. I don't think he planned to be 1AD and still think he needs some bigger games to be anywhere in the 1st round range.

That is such a good point. It's like if a regular student was writing for the Ky Kernel on campus and ESPN called and offered a 6 figure salary to them because they were such a talented writer- pretty sure we'd all leave school before graduation in that scenario.

That said, I never blame someone for leaving early but there is a difference between getting drafted and being ready.

I love Herro's game, nothing I can really pick apart. But...first round pick or not he will get toasted in the league unless he gets significantly stronger and puts on some lbs.
Like Al McGuire advised his players; "take the money and run".

Please no! Was really hoping to see him grow into our leader as an upperclassman. Saw this tweet though, scary good.

Tyler Herro over his last 6 games:

50% FG

41.4% 3pt FG

100% FT

I think someone said consistency was his problem and when you take each game of the six it does show that. 3 pt shooting:

AU 3-6
GA 0-2
VANDY 0-2
A&M 3-7
BAMA 2-6
UL 4-6

Herro is a great college player, a future nba player. He doesn't have out of this world speed, measurables, or athleticsm, his ceiling maybe limited. His drive and determination is nba all world...that said, if Herro would to stay another year he could conceivably play his way into lottery also making us favor its to repeat.
After his playing years could see a future in coaching for him

LOL @ the idea that a million dollars is nothing. We'd all take the million dollars.
I would but a million is not what it used to be, especially in the NBA. Stay another year in college, improve your draft stock and end up signing for about 4-5 times that amount.

Reactions: PowerofPelphrey
Yep, I think I read where he is on the trade block with some team, still has ok stats for a kid that I didn't think had a chance.
I saw something about him last week trying to make some team's roster but wasn't sure.

ADVERTISEMENT