ADVERTISEMENT

is ej price still with the team?

he's more talented than young. hopefully the coaches can keep him happy/dedicated over the summer. watkins was kind of brutal at right tackle, so we really need to keep ej on the team.

he's more talented than young. hopefully the coaches can keep him happy/dedicated over the summer. watkins was kind of brutal at right tackle, so we really need to keep ej on the team.
more talented than young? Eh considering Young is possibly most talented tackle we've had in years I'm going to have to disagree with that. BUT he is more talented than GAA and has all the tools to become a star. He won't start ahead of GAA and Young this season but he'll be a very key cog in the rotation and will probably play more than any other OL off the bench.

He'll definitely spell Young and GAA in stints when they need breathers and play damn good while doing so. He'll def see starter-esque snaps even though he won't start per se. And if an injury happens to one of the tackles we couldn't have a more viable replacement. Really happy to have this young man as he has star written all over him. Our future with Young and Price at the tackle spots is as bright as a UK fan can possibly dream of. Both young men look to be future NFLers and starters at that.

Also moving GAA back to guard and placing Price at RT has the potential to be a very lethal combination as well and is likely to happen if injury occurs to stenberg or stallings. Needless to say we have star power and Versatility like we've maybe never seen before on the OL and it's beautiful.

more talented than young? Eh considering Young is possibly most talented tackle we've had in years I'm going to have to disagree with that. BUT he is more talented than GAA and has all the tools to become a star. He won't start ahead of GAA and Young this season but he'll be a very key cog in the rotation and will probably play more than any other OL off the bench.

I don't think he will start over Young's experience, but if the SG was any indication of his talent level, then yes, I think he has a higher ceiling than Young. If you get a chance, catch a replay of the SG and watch #72. He was a force to be reckoned with.

Played and played great. Also tweeted after that he played with a torn pectoral. Not sure if he did or not, but that's what he said.

The biggest issue is the kids emotional health. He's totally detached from everyone else at the game. His tweets can be very emotionally charged. And we know he impulsively quit the team.

IF this staff can reign in his emotional issues/emotional health, the kid will be a star. He's that gifted physically

Played and played great. Also tweeted after that he played with a torn pectoral. Not sure if he did or not, but that's what he said.

The biggest issue is the kids emotional health. He's totally detached from everyone else at the game. His tweets can be very emotionally charged. And we know he impulsively quit the team.

IF this staff can reign in his emotional issues/emotional health, the kid will be a star. He's that gifted physically

^^^Good post, I agree.^^^
With regards to other bloggers. More talent than Landon Young, I don't think so. If Landon stays healthy IMO he will be all SEC his senior year and be a high draft choice!

Young reportedly had a great spring, as did Big George. If Schlarman has 3 guys who can hold down the OT positions, he will give all three playing time. Hopefully, Watkins, who is still very young, will continue to improve and be an option, if needed.

Young reportedly had a great spring, as did Big George. If Schlarman has 3 guys who can hold down the OT positions, he will give all three playing time. Hopefully, Watkins, who is still very young, will continue to improve and be an option, if needed.

Sounds like another "weak" spot is being shored up, and yet some still don't like this staff. Be careful what you wish for, starting over IS a setback, and I think most of the staff is gone with Stoops, Marrow for sure.

Sounds like another "weak" spot is being shored up, and yet some still don't like this staff. Be careful what you wish for, starting over IS a setback, and I think most of the staff is gone with Stoops, Marrow for sure.
The coaches are good/borderline really good recruiters but I haven't seen much on field coaching that would lead me to believe we are well coached.

And I know every program has transfers but our attrition rate seems to be much higher than most P5 programs. I don't have the numbers in front of me but it seems like we lose about 10 guys every off season.

Last edited:
Reactions: R.O.T.Muckinfush
The coaches are good/borderline really good recruiters but I haven't seen much on field coaching that would lead me to believe we are well coached.

And I know every program has transfers but our attrition rate seems to be much higher than most P5 programs. I don't have the numbers in front of me but it seems like we lose about 10 guys every off season.
We lose 3rd and 4th stringers like every other school. Attrition is a healthy part of building a program.

it seems like we lose about 10 guys every off season.

This worried me in years when we ended up with only 65 scholly players by kickoff . . . . in the worst of the Curry/Joker years.

But the attrition rate here is actually pretty normal. Twenty or so years ago, someone published a multi-year study of Penn State [pre-Sandusky revelations], when Joe Pa could do no wrong. They had an attrition rate as high as Curry did, here, and Curry's was worse than ours is now.

The difference, today, is that we can recruit/obtain transfers to fill the gaps, like the "better" programs, and have many PWO type folks ready, and willing to take the occasional scholly, when they open up.

Reactions: RV2
We lose 3rd and 4th stringers like every other school. Attrition is a healthy part of building a program.

Exactly. A good many high school players do not adjust and develop into the college game and that can be for a variety of reasons. Even the highly ranked, highly recruited types are not exempt. That's why every program has it's fair share of guys that rotate out.

We pay more attention to our transfers. Every team in the country seems to have a kid or two that played somewhere else.
All these guys want to play. They want to see the field, but they have to be ready and they have to earn it. If they think it's a battle in college, wait until they play pro. There are guys in the Sunday league that qualified for pension that seldom if ever started a game.

Our starting punter last year was a transfer. Our starting MLB last year was a transfer. We have a 'transfer' competing for the starting QB job. We have a transfer competing for the starting LT job. Our starting punter is likely to be a transfer. We are attempting to add one or two transfers for our upcoming squad.

Seems we are 'getting' better than we are 'giving'.

This worried me in years when we ended up with only 65 scholly players by kickoff . . . . in the worst of the Curry/Joker years.

But the attrition rate here is actually pretty normal. Twenty or so years ago, someone published a multi-year study of Penn State [pre-Sandusky revelations], when Joe Pa could do no wrong. They had an attrition rate as high as Curry did, here, and Curry's was worse than ours is now.

The difference, today, is that we can recruit/obtain transfers to fill the gaps, like the "better" programs, and have many PWO type folks ready, and willing to take the occasional scholly, when they open up.

Seems like it was a HUGE problem when we had the "Thin Thirty". We have a LONG way to go to reach that point.

I do but Young and GAA had a good spring(he can play either OT spot). Still, he'll play a lot and push the others to get better.
Young and GAA are our starting tackles. The question is going to be whether Coach Schlarman sticks with his past preference for a fluid 8-9 man rotation or moves toward a more solid 5 man unit this year. The advantage of a solid 5 man unit is chemistry and sharpness. The advantage of the larger rotation is that younger linemen are more ready to play when starters graduate or get hurt. My interpretation of Coach Schlarman's spring remarks was that 5 guys were seperating themselves from the others. That may have reflected Price's behavior issue and the inexperience of Fortner, Wolfe, Dolcine, Watkins, Dotson. But there is a lot of young talent on our offensive line. And Kinnard will be a great player in time.

Young and GAA are our starting tackles. The question is going to be whether Coach Schlarman sticks with his past preference for a fluid 8-9 man rotation or moves toward a more solid 5 man unit this year. The advantage of a solid 5 man unit is chemistry and sharpness. The advantage of the larger rotation is that younger linemen are more ready to play when starters graduate or get hurt. My interpretation of Coach Schlarman's spring remarks was that 5 guys were seperating themselves from the others. That may have reflected Price's behavior issue and the inexperience of Fortner, Wolfe, Dolcine, Watkins, Dotson. But there is a lot of young talent on our offensive line. And Kinnard will be a great player in time.
I'd say having a fresh guy out there helps, especially one that has been dying to get on the field.

Reactions: Caveman Catfan
I'd say having a fresh guy out there helps, especially one that has been dying to get on the field.
Sometimes it does. But it all boils down to getting the job done. Enthusiasm by itself isn't necessarily the answer. Chemistry and assignment soundness are highly important on the offensive line.

Reactions: matt_man
So was Warren Bryant. How does this help us now that they are gone? Young must live with the 5 star label. But I think Young can still become a very good player. He has the frame, size, intelligence, and work ethic.

My remark was to the poster who claimed Young was the best. Not sure what your post has to do with that.

So was Warren Bryant. How does this help us now that they are gone? Young must live with the 5 star label. But I think Young can still become a very good player. He has the frame, size, intelligence, and work ethic.
Can BECOME a very good player? Dude has been a freaking monster since his first snap as a freshman (not literally the first snap but he's been great since he got here). Idk what y'all are seeing but Young IMO can very easily go down as one of the best OL to play for UK. He had a stellar freshman and sophomore season. Now I expect nothing but elite AA-esque play from him as a junior and senior. He's lived up to the hype as a 5 star recruit. That's forsure.

Last edited:
EJ made some of the most impressive blocks in the spring game. Stood out among a lot of talent on the line. SEC talent.

The advantage of a solid 5 man unit is chemistry and sharpness.

So says the ancient mantra of O-line cohesion.

But if you can platoon with guards and tackles simultaneously, while keeping the same center, cohesion can come X 2. We did this in 2016, and it worked pretty darn well. I hope we can, again.

And I think that greater team cohesion can be achieved by having more bodies get sweaty and bloodied on game day . . . . with more players feeling truly vested in the program.

He had a stellar freshman and sophomore season. Now I expect nothing but elite AA-esque player from him as a junior and senior. He's lived up to the hype as a 5 star recruit. That's forsure.

Yeah, he's done well, with a huge ceiling. Yes, Warren Bryant's complete body of work was greater than is Young's to date, but I wonder if Blue Decade [or anyone] can do a true comparison of Bryant's work only through his true Sophomore season.

Reactions: Caveman Catfan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT