ADVERTISEMENT

Is apathy soon to be setting in?

Oct 31, 2016
I think resignation to the fact that 2017-18 is just not a good team is absolutely setting in, but program apathy could apply if this type season repeats itself next year, I expect 3 or 4 of the current roster to leave for NBA, and right now the 3 recruited guards coming on board I hope are team first kind of players, but I don't know for certain.

I know Cal likes an 8 or 9 man team (for playing time purposes for his 5 stars), but I think a 10 or 11 man team, would allow him, to not be "held hostage" again like 2013 when he was forced to play a certain group. The similarities are there to 2013 team, especially the one after Nerlens went down, the talent and alpha dog mentality just does not exist, there is a definite onset of discouragement among the players and coaches.

Cal has had only had 2 seasons out of 9 where the team has performed like this, so odds are pretty good, he can turn this around, but I wonder how much energy he has left to do it.....

Reactions: Lost In FL
Overall a fair assessment but I don’t think apathy will ever truly set in for UK basketball, I also wonder how much Cal has left in the tank

Reactions: DanHalen88
I think resignation to the fact that 2017-18 is just not a good team is absolutely setting in, but program apathy could apply if this type season repeats itself next year, I expect 3 or 4 of the current roster to leave for NBA, and right now the 3 recruited guards coming on board I hope are team first kind of players, but I don't know for certain.

I know Cal likes an 8 or 9 man team (for playing time purposes for his 5 stars), but I think a 10 or 11 man team, would allow him, to not be "held hostage" again like 2013 when he was forced to play a certain group. The similarities are there to 2013 team, especially the one after Nerlens went down, the talent and alpha dog mentality just does not exist, there is a definite onset of discouragement among the players and coaches.

Cal has had only had 2 seasons out of 9 where the team has performed like this, so odds are pretty good, he can turn this around, but I wonder how much energy he has left to do it.....
Me thinks we're over thinking the whole thing. JMO

Attendance to the SEC Tournament will tell a lot about our fans "apathy" toward this team. It's in St Louis, so it will be a little farther than Nashville.

We need a big UK following because winning these games could be the difference in our seeding.

One of those years his best player number 1 recruit was hurt. Were ranked up until he was injured. Not fair to say it was a horrible year and TBH if we had DUke across our chest we would probably make the tournament regardless.
This season is not over.

I watched a few minutes of the game last night then just turned it off. I'll be busy Wednesday night and will miss at least the first half, but I have no intention of turning the game on when I do get the chance.

I think most fans are giving up on this season...still watch and follow but I don't think St Louis will draw nothing substantial from UK fans as well as NCAA.

But the tipping point of the program with Cal is we have another offseason of 3-4 guys going pro when literally none are truly ready and only Knox can argue there is legit "potential" right now in their game....the fans will continue to lose interest in the current program as Cal is setting it up.

Reactions: KyFaninNC
Apathy was 2006 when we were awful and there really wasn't much hope or good recruits coming in. I think we'll be very solid next year.

I have high hopes for next year if only 2 or 3 leave. I am assuming the two are Knox and Diallo and the 3rd SGA. Only reason I think Diallo is gone is that he seems like the type that just wants to be gone ASAP. He might barely get drafted first round.

I have high hopes for next year if only 2 or 3 leave. I am assuming the two are Knox and Diallo and the 3rd SGA. Only reason I think Diallo is gone is that he seems like the type that just wants to be gone ASAP. He might barely get drafted first round.

Diallo is the only one I don't want back. I think we're better off without him, once we have enough guards that Brad isn't the other option for the 3rd guy.

Reactions: wildcatwelder
I know Cal likes an 8 or 9 man team (for playing time purposes for his 5 stars), but I think a 10 or 11 man team, would allow him, to not be "held hostage" again like 2013 when he was forced to play a certain group.

We have 11 scholarship players so I'm not sure what you're talking about. We've had at least 2 guys injured or otherwise unavailable through the entire year.

Reactions: MegaBlue05
I know and work with a lot of people who have tuned out over the last 2-3 years for the most part. Several of them were die hard fans who use to never miss a game but in the last few years either quit watching or just casually watch, also not much BBall conversation after a game the next day anymore. Most pay more attention at tournament time but I have noticed a definite shift in people following the Cats lately. Maybe it’s the general decline in Sports, too busy with life and kids, OAD, work etc etc. I’ve had more tix offered for sale from season ticket holders this year than ever before too.

Reactions: PowerofPelphrey
I'll be honest, apathy set in for me after we lost to UNC. I knew it would be a tough year with team we had coming in. I will say however, ever since the Wisconsin loss I swore to never take a game so seriously again but I was 100% confident we were winning the title last year and dove right back in hardcore.

Reactions: CatColumbia
Became apathetic after the Wisconsin loss watching Cal leave his best guard on the bench as we turned it over in straight possessions in the final minutes.

Then really tuned out after Higgins blatantly cheated to end our season last year.

I've missed more games this year than I have missed total in probably 20 years. I just have better things to do with my time than watch poor SEC officiating and guys that refuse to accept coaching.

I think there is a general malaise and fatigue in following the UK program this year. Its human nature for the fan base, just a down year, maybe it changes next year, but the fans know the train is off the tracks this year, it happens.

Count me in. I've watched the games the last couple of years, but don't seem to care as much for whatever reason. I think it's primarily due to the turnover and also that our teams don't really execute as a team, but rather just rely on being better athletes. It sometimes produces some great highlights, but it isn't often very good basketball.

I have zero expectations for this post-season. It won't surprise me if we don't make the tournament at this point. A few more losses and a fairly early exit in the SEC tourney aren't going to help us much. I won't lose much sleep over it.

I think most fans are giving up on this season...still watch and follow but I don't think St Louis will draw nothing substantial from UK fans as well as NCAA.

But the tipping point of the program with Cal is we have another offseason of 3-4 guys going pro when literally none are truly ready and only Knox can argue there is legit "potential" right now in their game....the fans will continue to lose interest in the current program as Cal is setting it up.

I pretty much agree with this entire post.

Reactions: FusterCluck
The off-season will be very interesting to say the least, be it NBA departures, coaching staff changes, etc

Apathy is for fair-weather fans who can only support their team during times of great success.

If I wasn't apathetic when Tubby was hauling in 3-stars or Clyde was piss drunk on the sidelines, I damn sure won't do it now. Not wired that way. I'm not a quitter.

I know and work with a lot of people who have tuned out over the last 2-3 years for the most part. Several of them were die hard fans who use to never miss a game but in the last few years either quit watching or just casually watch, also not much BBall conversation after a game the next day anymore. Most pay more attention at tournament time but I have noticed a definite shift in people following the Cats lately. Maybe it’s the general decline in Sports, too busy with life and kids, OAD, work etc etc. I’ve had more tix offered for sale from season ticket holders this year than ever before too.

Honestly ? They were never true fans to begin with then.

Reactions: JC CATS
I still love Kentucky basketball, but far too often this year the games have just been terribly unentertaining even when they are winning. With all of the other things that exist in this world that can entertain me, why should I watch this team when I can do something else I know will deliver?

UK is not the flavor of the month now but I have seen these times before. This too shall pass and we will be back on top. With or without Cal. We will rise to the top again and soon

I think this is spot on.

Cannot speak for others. I will watch as long as they are giving it 100%. I can watch an untalented team or a confused team. I cannot watch guys going through the motions. That is why it was a struggle watching the ATM game. They just had zero fight in them. It is at once infuriating and saddening to witness. I think/hope that is behind us and they come out to do their best from here on out. If so i will ride with them to the end.

I’ve already reached that point. I really haven’t even cared to watch the last few games although I have for the most part. Last game normally I would have been irate but I never really even got mad. Honestly I just want the season to be over but the bad part is I’m not sure next year will be much different.

You reach a certain point where you almost have to make yourself not care anymore to keep yourself from going crazy.

Apathy has already set in. I believe so with the team as well. The team really had no fight in them at all on Saturday. This is far more frustrating than the 2013 team. The 2013 team was clearly worse than this one but it was easier to give them some slack. Losing your best player to injury just destroyed that season. This team doesn't have the same excuses built in. This team is losing because there just isn't any real desire to win. They play the game like it's a pickup game. I'm used to UK teams that acted like they were offended at the thought of losing to a top 10 team. This team is comfortable with losing at home to an team with only 8 wins.

Apathy?

Hell no. I love basketball season. It isn't over yet.

Honestly ? They were never true fans to begin with then.
That’s a load of shit. I know many true fans that just haven’t had the same passion for UK basketball that they had their entire lives since the Wisconsin loss. I feel like that loss is probably why I haven’t been 100% invested like I was pre2015 as well. I don’t know what else it could be other than the constant roster turnover.

ADVERTISEMENT