ADVERTISEMENT

Is Allsports in Fayette Mall going out of business?

Robcatt24

♩♪♫♬♭♮♯°ø؂≠≭
Gold Member
Sep 17, 2005
Was in there last week and they're looking pretty thin.

Hate to see them go out.

Always seemed to have a lot of UK gear.

Not sure about them but I've heard whispers that a lot of merchants are behind on their rent in the mall due to the effects of COVID-19.

Hate to see them go out.

It's no secret that the mall's been struggling for quite a while. :/

July: https://www.kentucky.com/news/coronavirus/article244296307.html

CBL Properties has cited COVID-19 as a reason for its financial struggles in recent months. The company owns more than 60 properties nationwide, and is largely dependent on rent from tenants in its malls and shopping centers, including Fayette Mall. Some tenants who have been closed or suffering their own financial problems from the coronavirus haven’t been able to come up with the money the company is owed.

November: https://www.kentucky.com/news/state/kentucky/article246912452.html

The owner of Fayette Mall in Lexington was one of two operators to file for bankruptcy protection Monday, hurt by the coronavirus pandemic that has forced their tenants to permanently close stores or not pay rent.

Both companies, CBL and Pennsylvania Real Estate Investment Trust, said their malls will remain open as they go through the bankruptcy process.

Even before the virus, malls have struggled to attract shoppers who are increasingly shopping online or elsewhere. But the pandemic forced many of them to temporarily close for months. Mall tenants, which operators rely on for rent payments, are also stressed. Some are going bankrupt and closing stores, such as department store chain J.C. Penney.

Last edited:
Reactions: BlueRaider22

Hate to see them go out.

It is sad but UK gear is not selling like it once did.

Malls will soon be a thing of the past as most people move to online shopping through Amazon. Amazon will get richer and small business will fade away. This is happening all over, not just Lexington.

When governors lock down their states the small businesses suffer which speeds up the process.

Malls will soon be a thing of the past as most people move to online shopping through Amazon. Amazon will get richer and small business will fade away. This is happening all over, not just Lexington.

When governors lock down their states the small businesses suffer which speeds up the process.

Agree. Market forces already had malls on the ropes. Lockdowns will be the knockout blow

Reactions: Sawnee Cat
🎵See it on the field, see it on the court, pick it up at Allsports, pick it up at Allsports.🎵

Wildcat Wearhouse for cheap stuff and Alumni Hall for higher end stuff killed All Sports just as much as anything. Their UK stuff was/is overpriced and not too many folks in Lex are really all that invested in pro sports things for their prices. WhoTF needs a $25 Carolina Panthers tshirt in Central Kentucky? Surprisingly, the shoes were affordable.

Reactions: UK4number9
Wildcat Wearhouse for cheap stuff and Alumni Hall for higher end stuff killed All Sports just as much as anything. Their UK stuff was/is overpriced and not too many folks in Lex are really all that invested in pro sports things for their prices. WhoTF needs a $25 Carolina Panthers tshirt in Central Kentucky? Surprisingly, the shoes were affordable.

Yup I think this is it - prices were too high and you can get better prices elsewhere.

Understandably it’s higher b/c of mall rent but it’s not price competitive.

Reactions: funKYcat75

False on the UK gear

Reactions: J_Dee
Yeah, and their mall location now likely costs them an assload. Used to be hidden in a dark hallway. Only time I visit is when I need to visit the Apple Store. Look for them to take that prime location once AS goes out of business.

Malls have been dying for awhile now. We are back in TN for the holidays, and I went to the optometrist this morning for my yearly eye exam at the mall in Kingsport. I'd guess that it's maybe 25% full now. Belk and Dunham Sports are the only major retailers left. Sears and JC Penny folded, and most of the other shops went into other shopping complexes in the area. Sky high rent and online shopping have pretty much put them out to pasture.

Not to mention two shooting in Fayette Mall this year. Not a great family place with unsupervised hooligans running amuck.

• Wow
Reactions: Sawnee Cat
Yeah, and their mall location now likely costs them an assload. Used to be hidden in a dark hallway. Only time I visit is when I need to visit the Apple Store. Look for them to take that prime location once AS goes out of business.

I think I've heard the Apple Store is moving to The Summit.

Saw on the news in store Black Friday sales were down 50% from last year - so these brick and mortar retailers struggling just are getting worse news.

*get it at All Sports.
That’s wrong too. It’s supposed to be...

8DCcyx8.gif

Reactions: JDHoss
Worked at McAlpin's there for about 6 months.

Boss was asshoe, but the perks were nice.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT