ADVERTISEMENT

iPhone or Android?

backbeatcat

Sophomore
May 7, 2002
I would like to purchase a smart phone. Should I get the new iPhone or an Android phone? Or just shoot myself for asking? Not sure why, but I am sure that people here will have opinions...

iPhone if you have other Apple products or prefer simplicity and ease of use with a larger collection of apps.

Android if you want more capability and control of your device and more features.

But really, the differences get smaller and smaller with every iterations of hardware and software

Jitterbugs are pretty smart, amirite fellas?

jitterbug_senior_citizen_cell_phone.jpg

I would suggest getting the Atari 5200 gaming system to get a feel of new age advances, then and only then will you realize technology and be able to make a informed decision.

Last edited:
New iPhone being announced tomorrow. Will bring the cost down of the 7 unless you want the newest version. JMO, Apple products and software is much more stable and higher quality. However, they have lost their way when it comes to be out in front of everyone when it comes to innovation.

Reactions: morgousky
Steven Jobs = world's greatest salesman. Have used PCs and Androids forever, and have largely managed to listen to music, keep financial records, and practice a profession with next to no problems. Apple very highly overrated and over priced IMO.

FWIW, I just bought the Samsung 6 Edge on Ebay for $260, it is a hell of a phone, can read newspapers on it, watch TV, do research. For about 30% of what the new Apple phones cost, and in reality, about 30% of the Samsung 8. How can the new phones really be worth the money?

Reactions: NewEraCATS
They're all fine. Just know what's you're getting into. Personally, I shame all of the android users I know, but that's just me. I enjoy being a jackass about to and they give me shit about how much mine costs. If I get a green message from you I probably won't respond.

Had the Galaxy S2 that was damn near falling apart by the time I was able to get it off the plan. Have had the same iPhone 5S ever since. Gonna see what the new SE looks like and probably make the switch.

We've had this conversation before on the board, but you don't need to be on the bleeding edge of every phone. Get something cheap enough and sturdy enough, make sure your eyes can see it, and get a way to protect it.

It really doesn't matter at this point. If you get Android you need to research the different phones because they all have different strengths and weaknesses. Generally the Samsung, LG, and Pixel will offer well rounded experiences while there are some other more niche experiences with Androids out there too.

I have both. The iPhone is my work phone. You can do more things with an android...depending on what you want to do. Apple works more smoothly tho, except there's no "back button". Also android sucks sharing video in text.

Biggest difference..iphone ppl become cultish...everytime a new iPhone comes out they will pay 700 dollars and wait hours to get a new phone that's the exact same as the one they have.

Don't feel too bad, you're not the only one still back in the 20th century.
I'm still using an old flip phone.

And yes my kids and grandkids make fun of it

I have both. The iPhone is my work phone. You can do more things with an android...depending on what you want to do. Apple works more smoothly tho, except there's no "back button". Also android sucks sharing video in text.

Biggest difference..iphone ppl become cultish...everytime a new iPhone comes out they will pay 700 dollars and wait hours to get a new phone that's the exact same as the one they have.

Apple people are cultish, but android people are self conscious, and it reeks.

I'm apple because the platform is just so much better imo. I've got apple desktop, iPad, phone, etc. so it makes sense for me. Plus the Androids are impossible for me now, been apple since the Motorola 1, which I loved.

But I have not made the jump to Apple TV over the Roku because I've been told it sucks. Wish they'd fix it. An actual apple "TV" would be great too.

The reality is if you have to ask it doesn't matter.
If you have a IPad or anything else Apple you would probably already know to get an iPhone.
Samsung's camera is significantly better if you want to take pictures with your phone.

My first smartphone was an IPhone 3GS. Loved it. The only problem I had with it was having to go through ITunes to install music on it.

Moved on to a Samsung something and it was immediately obvious that it wasn't as smooth as the Apple. There weren't nearly as many apps available and the ones they had weren't as refined.

I've had a Samsung S6 Active for a couple of years now and I hope it lasts for several more. The apps are now comparable to the original Apple, I can install music easily but can't remember the last time I added any. It's waterproof to a certain extent, but I've never had it wet

If all you're going to do is make and receive phone calls, get the cheapest phone you can and don't look back.

Thinking about upgrading to the newest iPhone. Wife is definitely upgrading. When we got our iPhone 6's we got the smallest hard drives (16 GB) and that's just not nearly enough.

iPhone if you have other Apple products or prefer simplicity and ease of use with a larger collection of apps.

Android if you want more capability and control of your device and more features.

But really, the differences get smaller and smaller with every iterations of hardware and software

This is pretty much the correct answer. Use what you've been using the last few years. When I tried to move to the iPhone a few years back, where I was missing dedicated "back" and "menu" buttons, I just couldn't navigate it well.

Thanks for the info y'all. Smart phones seem to be very confusing, so I'm going to stick with my Nokia flip phone and just continue using my Palm V to manage my calendar and contacts. Appreciate the insight though.

BTW, my favorite comment was this one because it is just utterly true: "-i phones are for women, teenagers and dudes who buy yeti coolers."

I am a computer nerd so I like Android plus I hate having being stuck using iTunes to do things.

Reactions: ymmot31
I will never own an Apple product. My wife had a Galaxy S7, but she just had to be like all the other Lemmings out there and wanted to switch to an iPhone (7+). Of course she now is constantly trying to ask me how to do things on it after spending like 10+ years on Android phones.

I keep telling her I can't stand the way you navigate on the iPhone (only having a stupid home button) so don't ask me. It is lame that you have to reach all the way up to the top left of the screen just to go back to the previous screen. She also has had issues recently with her GPS and internet acting up.

I told her she shouldn't have switched, but she just had to have what her friends and their daughters had and got one for her and my daughter. While my son and I refuse to ever go to anything but Android. We both have Galaxy S7's with Mobi battery cases and are extremely happy. Having the equivalent of 160% battery capacity to go with a 256GB memory card makes this thing a beast.

IMO, use what you like the most. If you love Android and PC/MS products have a blast. I use Apple because my iMac is by far the best PC I have ever used with minimal issues while I have had nothing but issues with Windows. I have tried both Android and iPhone and the iPhone is just a better product. I am willing to pay more because I have more confidence in it. Apple is not as innovative as they were during Jobs time, but is still built better and has more stable software.

Never understand why people get into big arguments over it. I think its great we have tremendous competition out there that brings us great technology. Heck, not long ago us older folks were answering phone calls with a land line rotary phone. Needless to say, anything out there now is an improvement over that.

Have used Android as my personal phones. Had iPhones as work phones. Now that I am retired, I have no plans to ever own an iPhone. I use a phone to make and receive calls, get voicemail, text, look up stuff on the internet when I'm out, take a few pictures, and occasionally use the GPS. The Android does that at a much better price.

People talking about the $1,000 price. But Apples current most expensive phone (7 plus with 256GB hard drive) already costs $970.

People talking about the $1,000 price. But Apples current most expensive phone (7 plus with 256GB hard drive) already costs $970.

My old Samsung 3 was about ready to expire, which is why I bought a newer phone, but the Samsung 8 was around $900 IIRC at the time. I use cell phone for everything, email, text, music, business calendar, personal task bar, etc., but there is no F'ing way I am paying nearly $1000 for any phone. Ridiculous!!

My old Samsung 3 was about ready to expire, which is why I bought a newer phone, but the Samsung 8 was around $900 IIRC at the time. I use cell phone for everything, email, text, music, business calendar, personal task bar, etc., but there is no F'ing way I am paying nearly $1000 for any phone. Ridiculous!!
Lets say most users have their phone for 2.5 years. That's about $1.09 a day for the top-of-the-line of something that you admittedly use all the time. I guess I don't see the issue. Keep in mind also, you don't need the top-of-the-line for a phone, so the price per day is very minimal. Seems like a decent use of money, to me.

Reactions: Mossip
Iphone 3g or whatever is really not that different at all from whatever gimmicky thing Apple will trot out today. It takes pictures, internets, etc. Unreal how people react to this stuff.

Lets say most users have their phone for 2.5 years. That's about $1.09 a day for the top-of-the-line of something that you admittedly use all the time. I guess I don't see the issue. Keep in mind also, you don't need the top-of-the-line for a phone, so the price per day is very minimal. Seems like a decent use of money, to me.

Well, obviously a hell of a lot of people agree with you because they sell them like hotcakes.

There's also the small penis factor, those afflicted like to compensate by spending money.

"Keeping up with the Joneses" is really just some touched up game of competitive money wasting. There's an opportunity cost associated with that.... Wtf whatever shocking statistic came out a couple of weeks ago that 60% or whatever of Americans live paycheck to paycheck or have no savings.

Reactions: AustinTXCat
79% of smartphone users do not use 85% of their phone's capabilities - Forbes.

Don't feel too bad, you're not the only one still back in the 20th century.
I'm still using an old flip phone.

And yes my kids and grandkids make fun of it

Flip phone guy here. I had a smartphone for a while but gave it to one of my grandkids. Found myself butt-dialing too often. The only time I use a phone is to locate my wife when getting ready to leave Walmart. It is not even turned on the rest of the time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT