ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa Offense Update

rucker4

Freshman
Dec 8, 2021
Report from Iowa City.

Been getting reports the Iowa offense has really had struggles again on offense in bowl game prep. Zero surprise.

This was America's #130 rated total offense in 2022 of 131 teams. At one point earlier in the year we had punted the ball more times than we had scored points.

We will be starting a second year QB in Joe Labas who has NEVER taken a snap in his college career yet.

An offensive line that was the worst I have ever witnessed in watching Iowa since I began in the 1970s.

WR corps depleted-- was thin all year and even more so now when slot receiver Arland Bruce hit the portal. Names to most watch for here will be Ragaini and Vines and Brecht. After those three, really nothing else. Ragaini missed half the season with injury while Vines and Brecht combined to maybe catch 10 passes all year.

TE best news for Iowa as stud TE Sam LaPorta will be playing....missed the regular season finale due to injury and was going to be touch and go for him this game but he's planning on playing. He had a big bowl game against UK last year. Will be playing on Sundays next year as he continues the great tradition of TEs at Iowa in the NFL.

Iowa is double headed at TE with Luke Lachey -- son of former Ohio State and NFL great Jim Lachey. He's also a star--future NFL TE also.

RB Iowa solid with true freshman Kaleb Johnson as the home run threat starter and LeShaun Williams is very fast and quick as the backup. Iowa's #3 RB (Gavin WIlliams) has already hit the transfer portal and won't be playing.

I see the team practiced in Nashville today for the first time in snow on the field.

Hell, it's supposed to be 48 degrees by Thursday in Iowa City.

Last edited:
Report from Iowa City.

Been getting reports the Iowa offense has really had struggles again on offense in bowl game prep. Zero surprise.

This was America's #130 rated total offense in 2022 of 131 teams. At one point earlier in the year we had punted the ball more times than we had scored points.

We will be starting a second year QB in Joe Labas who has NEVER taken a snap in his college career yet.

An offensive line that was the worst I have ever witnessed in watching Iowa since I began in the 1970s.

WR corps depleted-- was thin all year and even more so now when slot receiver Arland Bruce hit the portal. Names to most watch for here will be Ragaini and Vines and Brecht. After those three, really nothing else. Ragaini missed half the season with injury while Vines and Brecht combined to maybe catch 10 passes all year.

TE best news for Iowa as stud TE Sam LaPorta will be playing....missed the regular season finale due to injury and was going to be touch and go for him this game but he's planning on playing. He had a big bowl game against UK last year. Will be playing on Sundays next year as he continues the great tradition of TEs at Iowa in the NFL.

Iowa is double headed at TE with Luke Lachey -- son of former Ohio State and NFL great Jim Lachey. He's also a star--future NFL TE also.

RB Iowa solid with true freshman Kaleb Johnson as the home run threat starter and LeShaun Williams is very fast and quick as the backup. Iowa's #3 RB (Gavin WIlliams) has already hit the transfer portal and won't be playing.

I see the team practiced in Nashville today for the first time in snow on the field.

Enough of our good defense is intact for the game so I'm not really concerned about that side. I'm just not sure how either of us score. It will be interesting to see if Wade can move the ball.

Reactions: JasonRDunn
Report from Iowa City.

You wouldn't try and sandbag us just a little would you🥴

Report from Iowa City.

Have you seen our 2 deep on the offensive side of the ball?
Trust me you have nothing to complain about

Have you seen our 2 deep on the offensive side of the ball?
Trust me you have nothing to complain about
Oh believe me, we have a lot to complain about here at Iowa. You didn't have the second to worst offense in America this past season-- even though yours might have been bad too. Now it could potentially be worse than that for the bowl game.

You wouldn't try and sandbag us just a little would you🥴
If anything, message boards for 99% of people is to tout over the top their team-- talking about how their team is so much better than they are in reality. I wish I could be that way and wish I didn't have to be so downtrodden on this Iowa offense. But proof is in the pudding here.

I think I have a track record on this board for being honest and realistic in my assessments of Iowa- as I was last year before the bowl game.

Enough of our good defense is intact for the game so I'm not really concerned about that side. I'm just not sure how either of us score. It will be interesting to see if Wade can move the ball.
Of course Iowa's defense is their strong suit too-- without the Iowa defense I truly have no idea how many less games we would have won these past two years.

This could easily be a 6-3 or 9-6 type game....much better odds of that than the two combining for even 20 points or more. How pathetic is that?

As always, will be a game of who doesn't make a big turnover, who has the better FG kicker, and who has the better punting game. Field position game will be the name of the game.

LaPorta is a monster, can't believe that dude is still there. That's where I would go.

Meanwhile, our offense is looking sketch without Levis or CRod. To make matters worse, our 2 good blocking TEs are both out. We will be lucky to cross over Iowa's side of the field against that Defense and I expect Iowa to at least equal last year's sack tally.

Hopefully Wade shows something running the ball and can actually get it to our stud WRs/Dingle. Our D will have to play lights out for us to get this one. Will be a baseball score.

Respect to the Iowa fans, knowledgeable and enjoyable to be around for tailgating/pre-post game.

If anything, message boards for 99% of people is to tout over the top their team-- talking about how their team is so much better than they are in reality. I wish I could be that way and wish I didn't have to be so downtrodden on this Iowa offense. But proof is in the pudding here.

I think I have a track record on this board for being honest and realistic in my assessments of Iowa- as I was last year before the bowl game.
Just messing with you , nice to have you guys here. I honestly think there will be a few more points put up in this one than most believe(not saying how those points will get there tho)

Reactions: rucker4
LaPorta is a monster, can't believe that dude is still there. That's where I would go.

Meanwhile, our offense is looking sketch without Levis or CRod. To make matters worse, our 2 good blocking TEs are both out. We will be lucky to cross over Iowa's side of the field against that Defense and I expect Iowa to at least equal last year's sack tally.

Hopefully Wade shows something running the ball and can actually get it to our stud WRs/Dingle. Our D will have to play lights out for us to get this one. Will be a baseball score.

Respect to the Iowa fans, knowledgeable and enjoyable to be around for tailgating/pre-post game.
Both teams clearly will be relying heavily on their defenses as they have all year. Maybe more so this game.

Again, this will come down to who makes the least critical turnovers. I also think the FG kicking and punting will weigh heavily too.

Fansided article picked Iowa because they are ranked fourth in havoc defense and UK is 76th I think it said. They said with that and Iowa having the better special teams, especially the FG kicker, they think Iowa wins.

Fansided article picked Iowa because they are ranked fourth in havoc defense and UK is 76th I think it said. They said with that and Iowa having the better special teams, especially the FG kicker, they think Iowa wins.
Every phase of the Iowa special teams is solid at least. Cause that’s iowa being iowa. Could you guys expand on your special teams?

Every phase of the Iowa special teams is solid at least. Cause that’s iowa being iowa. Could you guys expand on your special teams?
Iowa has the top freshman FG kicker in AMerica. Our punter is the second best in school history . Iowa has a specific Special Teams Team coach. This makes them outstanding in this area.

FG kicker could make five or miss five. Seems to have gotten it back last couple games. Snapper has been shaky all year. Kickoff guy good, usually in the end zone. New punter has done OK since starter went out. Punt returners are reliable with speed. Kickoff returners rarely get to run anything back. Brown very dangerous if he does. Extra points see FG's and snapper. Overall, could have a perfect day or could have a disastrous day. Think Boulware will get fixed or a lot better next season.

Reactions: JasonRDunn
Do you know that Montana State earlier this season recorded 4 safeties in a game against their opponent in this very fashion?
Sheesh! Didn't know that but our percentage of bad snaps on special teams might lead the nation. A bunch of 3 and outs lead to too many opportunities for a bad snap when you have a fairly high percentage of them.

Could you guys expand on your special teams?
Yes.

You know how you guys are really good at special teams? We're the opposite.

We can't seem to figure out long snapping and our previously solid kicker got the yips or something. Our kick return game can be dangerous.

Overall, you've got a very definite advantage there.

This years Iowa offense is the absolute WORST offense I have EVER seen since watching beginning in 1981. The absolute WORST.

Reactions: rucker4
Oh believe me, we have a lot to complain about here at Iowa. You didn't have the second to worst offense in America this past season-- even though yours might have been bad too. Now it could potentially be worse than that for the bowl game.

It's a lot worse. Our only bright spots this past season are not playing. 4th string back because of injuries, transfers and NFL. TEs not playing because of same reason and QB. Our WR depth is atrocious because of transfers, will be playing mostly true freshman. But who is gonna give em the ball? Our OL is horrific, long snapper is horrid.

Your offense could be much better than ours

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT