ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting stat on 3 pt shot

With our length, we have to defend the 3 pt. line better!!

Why we give so much help off of the dribble and leave shooters WIDE OPEN(Wenyan is the WORST at this) is beyond my comprehension. With the Bigs we have, why not allow them to drive into our shot blockers?

Our LONG players have got to learn how to defend using that length to hedge AND close out on shooters. I realize we're young, but SKJ and Gabriel STILL haven't figured out how to do this.

Thankfully, we are 3 months away from when it actually matters.

Reactions: BlueRunner11
Harvard isn't a bad team. They have most of there starters back from last year and 60 points out of there 74 points is back this year. Another thing yesterday is we take a 74-54 a 20 point lead with 7 minutes to go in the game. Then we only score 1 basket from Gabriel and 3 FT's for 5 points in last 7 minutes of the game. If we don't take the foot off the gas again we win this game by 25-30 points.

We do have to remember tho its two fold.

Yeah part of it has been we've given up plenty of threes.

But some of that is offense as well by the other teams.
Outside of Utah Valley, we've played teams that like shooting threes.

However, the next 8 games (before we hit Vanderbilt), are teams that don't like to shoot threes.

Here's the ranks of 3 pt Fg attempt % of our next 8
Monmouth 225th
VT 149th
UCLA 310th
UL 241st
UGA 256th
LSU 123rd
UT 231st
Texas AM 251st

Compare that with teams like Troy 35th and FT Wayne 18th

So it'll be interesting.

Reactions: kylv
Our field goal % is a result of competition. When we get into a stronger ooc schedule and conference play I expect percentages to level off. On the flip side, I also expect turnovers to decrease as we become more familiar playing together.
The important thing is for half court defense to progress and guys to adjust to their roles. Gaining game experience along with player development will go a long way with this bunch.

You'd actually be surprised. Some years our effective FG% against actually goes DOWN when we get into conference play.

I guess despite the increase in strength of schedule, our defense gets better faster.

I don't have the stats to back me up, but frankly, I don't believe that even good 3-point shooting teams shoot 3's as well in the NCAAT as they do in the regular season. I could be wrong. If so, please show me.

BUT, I think pressure comes into play, as well as the experience of playing in a huge venue which many teams are not used to; and which may affect depth perception. I also am certain that the 2nd game of every weekend is harder on shooters because the legs go earlier in the game.

I don't have the stats to back me up, but frankly, I don't believe that even good 3-point shooting teams shoot 3's as well in the NCAAT as they do in the regular season. I could be wrong. If so, please show me.

BUT, I think pressure comes into play, as well as the experience of playing in a huge venue which many teams are not used to; and which may affect depth perception. I also am certain that the 2nd game of every weekend is harder on shooters because the legs go earlier in the game.

Yep. Not so much the opening rounds but when it goes to the regionals and they are being played in huge venues, definitely affects things.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT