ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting comment on the KSR show today

IMO , getting on someone about effort or defense is fine . Bitching at a teammate for " not gitting me the ball " is a different story.

Reactions: SemperFiCat
I don't think they particularly like each other,if they were a bit more mature or more skilled players it wouldn't matter as much but it has probably cost us 2 or 3 wins this year.

Auburn is a good example of the reverse situation,they shouldn't be as good as they are but they play together and believe they can win.No reason for them to beat us or any team with size but they play as a team and think they can win.

They are not friends anymore?

IMO , getting on someone about effort or defense is fine . Bitching at a teammate for " not gitting me the ball " is a different story.
I mean, maybe if you're Kobe, LeBron etc. But yeah, we don't have one of those. I don't mind someone calling someone else out for lack of defensive effort.

Is this a denial or admission?

It's me rolling my eyes that anyone thinks they know the personal relationships between these kids based on them losing basketball games.

When you win, it's called leadership and ownership and taking charge. When you lose, it's turmoil and drama and fingerpointing.

Fans see a team that isn't very good and say "oh they hate each other and that's why they don't rebound" or whatever. We have like two guys with the ability to pass. We have like three guys who can consistently defend. We have three who consistently box out.

So attributing someone not doing one of those things that isn't even in his skillset to chemistry or whatever is just fans wanting to feel more connected to the team and program than they are.

We can't come to conclusions about chemistry based on losing when the team isn't very good to begin with. I said we'd lose 8-12 games before the season started. Did I know these guys hated each other already or could I just see we weren't very talented or experienced?

Reactions: Chase4UK
This team needs an entire reset and I think that will be the offseason.
This. The issues with this team will not be solved during the 2017-18 basketball season. Anyone thinking that they will be is unnecessarily setting themselves up for a major disappointment. We should keep watching them and hope for the best of course. But I’m mostly looking to the future now.

Reactions: brianpoe
It's me rolling my eyes that anyone thinks they know the personal relationships between these kids based on them losing basketball games.

When you win, it's called leadership and ownership and taking charge. When you lose, it's turmoil and drama and fingerpointing.

Fans see a team that isn't very good and say "oh they hate each other and that's why they don't rebound" or whatever. We have like two guys with the ability to pass. We have like three guys who can consistently defend. We have three who consistently box out.

So attributing someone not doing one of those things that isn't even in his skillset to chemistry or whatever is just fans wanting to feel more connected to the team and program than they are.

We can't come to conclusions about chemistry based on losing when the team isn't very good to begin with. I said we'd lose 8-12 games before the season started. Did I know these guys hated each other already or could I just see we weren't very talented or experienced?

I think it's just the nature of it. When you see a lot go guys frustrated, arguing, losing, etc it's pretty easy to call it. It would be very hard to imagine this team having good chemistry.

Reactions: gojvc
One anecdotal comment on a talk show and we have fans which are certain they fully understand all the interpersonal relationships between players, coaches, parents and passers by on the street.

This is the epitome self serving stupidity.

Reactions: GonzoCat90
One anecdotal comment on a talk show and we have fans which are certain they fully understand all the interpersonal relationships between players, coaches, parents and passers by on the street.

...says the guy that was screaming here for months that we needed to keep Tubby.

Reactions: Cindog28 and catben
They were talking about the team "bitching" at each other all the time. Drew Franklin said he was at the last game and PJ was letting Knox have it about getting beat all the time. In some situations that could be good, if you have an established team leader setting guys straight, but I think it's more like team turmoil. I've never gotten the impression that these guys like each other all that much. I could be wrong, but that's just my hunch.
They are not having fun, so it's likely we'll see lots of bitching amongst themselves. Also, the "pretending" that goes on with this team is at the highest level of any team I can remember. Some of them are true pretenders and need a good dose of humility. The posturing and the gesturing (especially PJ and Diallo), if ever done at all, should only be reserved for those teams who are elite teams and more than capable of winning every time out. You know, the ones who are mean and want to crush their opponent, and who work hard for 40 minutes a game. If you're not good, I don't like it--it's a bush-league thing to do to show up your opponent, and at 6-7 in the SEC, should not happen nor should it be allowed to happen. Every one of our guys has some major issues, should forgo the gesturing, and should keep their mouths shut and just play. It's embarrassing to see that ridiculous posturing...Diallo scored on the lay up, did that arms up deal, then proceeded to do exactly what I knew he would do--miss the damn free throw. That's not a guy who should boldly look into the hostile crowd with his arms raised like he did something great. Goodness knows we need to immediately think about playing defense and not be worried about posturing for fans. He among others have gotten far less out of their God-Given athletic ability than any player ever. Time for some humility. Time to "put up or shut up." Time to grow up.

Reactions: aikenite4uk
Wouldn't be surprised. We could list 5 things every player needs to work on with this team. Knox shoots the ball a lot, what else does he contribute? Washington plays hard when he feels like it. Diallo tries to show the pros he can shoot the three. How do you change attitudes for the betterment of the team? These guys are who they are on the inside and Cal isn't going to change that part.

Last edited:
Reactions: BlueDevilWildcat
...says the guy that was screaming here for months that we needed to keep Tubby.

Case in point. I advocated that the University manage their own business and Tubby was the coach. So we have another poster pulling crap and slinging it on the wall.

Then interpreting the results.

PJ jumping anyone's ass is comical.

Our best player is also the most fragile who cannot play defense.

Our lowest IQ player is a coach's son.

Our worst player was our highest rated recruit with a half year of experience.

Our PG has been moved to the 2.

Our most dynamic player cannot shoot or defend switches.

Our best player doesn't really have a position.

Our offense is stagnant.

We have zero reliable shooters.

Zero low post options.

We cant defend the rim.

We are mentally weak.

After an off season this can happen:

KP can get PJ corrected.
We have a PG coming.
We have shooters coming and I believe that Wenyen and Green can find their stroke.
Our offense can improve.

The paint will still be a question but hell Auburn is Top 10 with a 6'7 centr and 6'3 PF so......?

And i believe we will see at least one of Shai, Diallo, or Jared return.
Agreed except the part of Brad having the lowest IQ. That goes to Diallo without a doubt. Really hope he leaves.

Green needs to be our PG period. I feel Cal is only playing Shai there to better his draft stock. The offense is so stagnant with Shai at pg. it’s the same thing everytime. He dribbles the air out of the ball, calls for a screen and then drives for a layup/gets caught up in the air with nobody to pass to and is a turnover/is able to pass it out. That’s a middle school offense. Atleast with Quade it’s something different everytime and people actually move without the ball because they know there’s a good chance Quade will find them. With Shai everyone just stands around because they know he’s going to drive.

Lastly I almost wonder if we are too big for our own good. Seeing us in person last week, when on offense there was almost no room to move around. Spacing wasn’t great but even if it was, pretty much anything inside the three point line and especially the point is just clogged up. That’s fine when the players are skilled like in 2015 but when they aren’t it just takes away the driving lanes which is one of the only things we do halfway decent.

Agreed except the part of Brad having the lowest IQ. That goes to Diallo without a doubt. Really hope he leaves.

Green needs to be our PG period. I feel Cal is only playing Shai there to better his draft stock. The offense is so stagnant with Shai at pg. it’s the same thing everytime. He dribbles the air out of the ball, calls for a screen and then drives for a layup/gets caught up in the air with nobody to pass to and is a turnover/is able to pass it out. That’s a middle school offense. Atleast with Quade it’s something different everytime and people actually move without the ball because they know there’s a good chance Quade will find them. With Shai everyone just stands around because they know he’s going to drive.

Lastly I almost wonder if we are too big for our own good. Seeing us in person last week, when on offense there was almost no room to move around. Spacing wasn’t great but even if it was, pretty much anything inside the three point line and especially the point is just clogged up. That’s fine when the players are skilled like in 2015 but when they aren’t it just takes away the driving lanes which is one of the only things we do halfway decent.

Wasn’t referring to Brad....

A coach’s son, not the coach’s son...

confused-jaguars-fan.gif

It has been more than just "one anecdotal comment". There have been several fans that have been up close at games saying the same thing as Drew Franklin.

The only "stupidity" is denying that this team's performance could be tied to the players' attitude toward each other.

I think it's just the nature of it. When you see a lot go guys frustrated, arguing, losing, etc it's pretty easy to call it. It would be very hard to imagine this team having good chemistry.

What's interesting is that we have a large section of fans who will say it's obvious we have bad chemistry and also a large section who will say these guys don't care and are just looking to get to the NBA or that Cal doesn't teach them to focus on the team, which would directly contradict each other.

Ban, naw. The mods said I was hurting your feelings and felt you needed coddling, so they gave me a temporary timeout. Lmao.

So new username and you refuse to comply with the timeout....

I’m sure @jedwar and @JasonS. will be thrilled you have refused to honor the TO...

That’s what IP bans are for...

Don't now about any of this but during the Auburn game I remember at least twice that Shai had to almost strong-arm his teammates to huddle up on court after foul calls.

It was obvious they didn't want to. Why would have to be conjecture.

I'm sure you all must have noticed that.

Reactions: catben
There are so many issues with this team I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they all needed contacts, a la the Harrison's.

Lol, I've been insinuating they should do that for a while now if they really want to get rid of me. I'm not sure they know how to block out a VPN though. LMAO. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Here is a portion of the Terms of Agreement that everyone agreed to when they became a member here.

By signing up to post on Rivals' message boards, you agree that if Rivals blacklists you, you will cease and desist from posting on the message boards. If you are blacklisted, and subsequently sign up under new account(s) for the sole purpose of disrupting the message boards in any manner, you will be liable for damages to Rivals in the amount of fair compensation for time spent by Rivals staff and/or publishers in addition to any lost profits or revenues caused by your disruption and costs of collection of these damages, including attorneys fees. Due to difficulty in Rivals assessing these damages and costs, you agree that the minimum damage from violation of this provision will be $10,000 (without limitation on Rivals' ability to prove actual damages in excess of this amount).

Try to game the system at your own risk.

Here is a portion of the Terms of Agreement that everyone agreed to when they became a member here.

By signing up to post on Rivals' message boards, you agree that if Rivals blacklists you, you will cease and desist from posting on the message boards. If you are blacklisted, and subsequently sign up under new account(s) for the sole purpose of disrupting the message boards in any manner, you will be liable for damages to Rivals in the amount of fair compensation for time spent by Rivals staff and/or publishers in addition to any lost profits or revenues caused by your disruption and costs of collection of these damages, including attorneys fees. Due to difficulty in Rivals assessing these damages and costs, you agree that the minimum damage from violation of this provision will be $10,000 (without limitation on Rivals' ability to prove actual damages in excess of this amount).

Rotflcgu [roll][roll][roll]. I love those "smart ones."[roll][roll][roll]

PJ jumping anyone's ass is comical.

Our best player is also the most fragile who cannot play defense.

Our lowest IQ player is a coach's son.

Our worst player was our highest rated recruit with a half year of experience.

Our PG has been moved to the 2.

Our most dynamic player cannot shoot or defend switches.

Our best player doesn't really have a position.

Our offense is stagnant.

We have zero reliable shooters.

Zero low post options.

We cant defend the rim.

We are mentally weak.

Ok, but other than that, we good?

Reactions: brianpoe

No, it's going off of little things people notice at games, whether they hang out together during their down time, are seen actively supporting and promoting each other, etc.

[pfftt]

Amen about shai

I've been thinking the same thing. That this team just isn't cohesive, has too many immature players still trying to distance themselves from childhood, and lacks leadership specifically from it's best player. Knox has terrific skills but seems more and more to me to be too independent, too soft and a bit of a prima-donna.

I think he had NC on his list for a reason, as he plays like their freshman. This can be amazing in two years if we get him to stay.

It has been more than just "one anecdotal comment". There have been several fans that have been up close at games saying the same thing as Drew Franklin.

The only "stupidity" is denying that this team's performance could be tied to the players' attitude toward each other.

I could never read minds. I can think of dozens of explanations for this anecdotal hearsay. I am unable to read minds, so I don’t know which is the correct explanation. If you can read minds and and you know for certain enough to shoot your mouth off in public, more power to you.

If you can’t read minds, well. . .

LOL!

Yeah, I have to say I was wondering the same thing. BP has definitely toned down this SP thing.

I always appreciated his posts, but he’s even better now.

You are guys are primarily negative, thus Kev’s list of most liked.

I’m only negative when I feel it was warranted.

Also, I have always slammed the extremes on both sides.

ADVERTISEMENT