ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting comment on the KSR show today

SilentsAreGolden

All-American
Dec 12, 2007
They were talking about the team "bitching" at each other all the time. Drew Franklin said he was at the last game and PJ was letting Knox have it about getting beat all the time. In some situations that could be good, if you have an established team leader setting guys straight, but I think it's more like team turmoil. I've never gotten the impression that these guys like each other all that much. I could be wrong, but that's just my hunch.

They were talking about the team "bitching" at each other all the time. Drew Franklin said he was at the last game and PJ was letting Knox have it about getting beat all the time. In some situations that could be good, if you have an established team leader setting guys straight, but I think it's more like team turmoil. I've never gotten the impression that these guys like each other all that much. I could be wrong, but that's just my hunch.
I think your are right. And why would anyone on the team pay attention to PJ? Until he shows he can play basketball he needs to keep his mouth shut. I am looking for a player that can be a leader on this team but so far I have found NONE.

I've been thinking the same thing. That this team just isn't cohesive, has too many immature players still trying to distance themselves from childhood, and lacks leadership specifically from it's best player. Knox has terrific skills but seems more and more to me to be too independent, too soft and a bit of a prima-donna.

Last edited:
I’d be more worried if they was not bitching and holding one another accountable.

I don't think they particularly like each other,if they were a bit more mature or more skilled players it wouldn't matter as much but it has probably cost us 2 or 3 wins this year.

Auburn is a good example of the reverse situation,they shouldn't be as good as they are but they play together and believe they can win.No reason for them to beat us or any team with size but they play as a team and think they can win.

There is an enormous amount of pressure on these kids, yes kids. There is not one man among them. AAU doesn't prepare them for college basketball and especially Kentucky basketball. You need more than verticals jumps and wingspan to succeed at this level when you are a green frosh. You need a soul that can deal with conflict and a heart full of desire to learn and adapt quickly.

When things go well locker rooms run fairly smoothly. When things begin to go south so do relationships. Even the pros experience this. See the Cleveland Cavs this season as a prime example. Players challenging other players and even doing so publicly. At least our guys are keeping it internal which is a lot more professional and mature than the NBA generally does.

I don't think they particularly like each other,if they were a bit more mature or more skilled players it wouldn't matter as much but it has probably cost us 2 or 3 wins this year.

Auburn is a good example of the reverse situation,they shouldn't be as good as they are but they play together and believe they can win.No reason for them to beat us or any team with size but they play as a team and think they can win.

They all may be music lovers BUT, they seem to all love different music.

Oh they def don't have good chemistry. Haven't all year. Pretty easy to tell.

Maybe you can have K Rat stop by for a pep talk...

dook_troll.jpg

Not meeting expectations can bring out the bad or good depending on the people involved. Would like to see the team pull together. Cal has said they don't play for each other, and this statement is supported in this thread.

PJ jumping anyone's ass is comical.

This team needs an entire reset and I think that will be the offseason.

Our best player is also the most fragile who cannot play defense.

Our lowest IQ player is a coach's son.

Our worst player was our highest rated recruit with a half year of experience.

Our PG has been moved to the 2.

Our most dynamic player cannot shoot or defend switches.

Our best player doesn't really have a position.

Our offense is stagnant.

We have zero reliable shooters.

Zero low post options.

We cant defend the rim.

We are mentally weak.

After an off season this can happen:

KP can get PJ corrected.
We have a PG coming.
We have shooters coming and I believe that Wenyen and Green can find their stroke.
Our offense can improve.

The paint will still be a question but hell Auburn is Top 10 with a 6'7 centr and 6'3 PF so......?

And i believe we will see at least one of Shai, Diallo, or Jared return.

Last edited:
The problem isn't the bitching and trying to hold other guys accountable, it's that they all see the flaws the others have so if you want to hold someone accountable, even if you are 100% right, they brush it off because their immediate reaction is to point out your shortcomings....ie...."yeah....well what about x.y.z. that you do? Who the hell are you to tell me?" So it turns into finger pointing behind the scenes and unspoken resentment. We've all had bosses or co-workers that are less than stellar at their jobs and if/when they try to tell you to do something they think you need to work on, do you automatically embrace their criticism or immediately think about how terrible a worker they are and not take them seriously? Same principle here.

Shai is about the only guy on the team right now who could get the most out of this technique but he won't do it and he needs to. Quade is supposed to be that guy but he just hasn't been, yet. I bet he will be next year.

PJ jumping anyone's ass is comical.

This team needs an entire reset and I think that will be the offseason.

Our best player is also the most fragile who cannot play defense.

Our lowest IQ player is a coach's son.

Our worst player was our highest rated recruit with a half year of experience.

Our PG has been moved to the 2.

Our most dynamic player cannot shoot or defend switches.

Our best player doesn't really have a position.

Our offense is stagnant.

We have zero reliable shooters.

Zero low post options.

We cant defend the rim.

We are mentally weak.

After an off season this can happen:

KP can get PJ corrected.
We have a PG coming.
We have shooters coming and I believe that Wenyen and Green can find their stroke.
Our offense can improve.

The paint will still be a question but hell Auburn is Top 10 with a 6'7 centr and 6'3 PF so......?

And i believe we will see at least one of Shai, Diallo, or SGA return.

When did you go out of the sunshine pumping business?[cheers]

Yeah looks like they don’t like each other. Stop reaching. I fought with my brother all the time, doesn’t mean I didn’t love him.

Reactions: mattrudd

Doc, Coach Pearl is a good coach, probably the best in the SEC. He has taken a team with no superstars, and convinced them they can win. Believing in your self, and your team mates is so important in college basketball. If you looked at Auburn and UK players, just on paper, you wouldn't think they even belong on the floor with us.

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!

Reactions: Dirt Court King
I think the best way to fix this is for them to all go to that bad ass practice facility as a team and talk about their differences WHILE they each shoot 500 jumpers.
Seriously, our supposed good shooters are hitting the side of the backboard too many times while shooting corner threes. How does that happen? Oh I know, they aren't getting in the gym to get shots up.
If you want to play this game for a living, you need to put the time in. Our guys are clearly not putting in the extra work.
But if there is a riff, the kids have to fix it, Calipari can only do so much. They have to want to fix it.

Maybe the whole problem is each player needs to hold HIMSELF accountable to his team mates.

Stop pointing the finger and complaining about what others are or aren't doing and pick up the slack YOURSELF!!

After hearing this from several people, I see why Cal has called them out about ALWAYS having an excuse for their mistakes.

Once these youngsters start taking responsibility for their own short comings, only then will we see vast improvements.

ADVERTISEMENT