ADVERTISEMENT

Insult to Injury: Why Cal is so annoying (to me)

OAD approach produces "Drive By" players. At this point I can't remember all their names. It's just tiring, and I'm beyond done with it and Cal.
Same. I easily forget players names now. I have trouble remembering who’s who on the team. Why should I remember when 90% of these players will transfer/go to the draft?

I want to articulate why Cal gets under my skin so much.

There is a good chance that after this year, it will be 4 years without a tournament win. But, for me, it’s not just the consistent losing. That’s not acceptable, but I don’t think it breeds the anger I have. The real salt in the wound is:

A) UK has made Calipari rich beyond his wildest dreams, and it seems like Calipari is not grateful at all for that and doesn’t think he owes anything to the fans or the program. He has been paid so much, continues to be paid so much, with no way to claw it back, and he still doesn’t seem to care very much. No matter what we do, it seems like Calipari will have the last laugh because he’s made so much money off us. That’s frustrating. He’s gotten so rich off us, and will continue to get richer, and there is nothing we can do about it. There is no recourse for him destroying Kentucky.

B) Despite being the program that turned him into a generationally wealthy guy, he sees Kentucky and Kentuckians as a bunch of hillbillies and charity cases. It’s obvious, from the way he spends his money to the way he talks to us “basketball bennies.” He’s already bought his house in Nashville, and I remember him saying after I think the Florida a&m game that his bags were already packed up and he couldn’t wait to get out of there. Yes, I understand he has family there, but coaches, especially with grown children, have family who live in other cities all of the time. Cal not only bought a house there, but mentally, he seems like he is living in Nashville already. He has only contempt and pity for Kentucky and Kentuckians.

These are just my own thoughts but those two things push me over the edge from being unhappy about losing to actively strongly disliking Cal.

You just perfectly described Rick Pitino when he was here.

I think you dislike him so much for not winning that anything he would say would be a major slight. I always have seen the basketball bennies stuff as just friendly banter, some y'all snowflakes!

I think you dislike him so much for not winning that anything he would say would be a major slight. I always have seen the basketball bennies stuff as just friendly banter, some y'all snowflakes!
Unsure who you are responding to. Who would like him for not winning?

There is a good chance that after this year, it will be 4 years without a tournament win. But, for me, it’s not just the consistent losing. That’s not acceptable, but I don’t think it breeds the anger I have. The real salt in the wound is:

A) UK has made Calipari rich beyond his wildest dreams, and it seems like Calipari is not grateful at all for that and doesn’t think he owes anything to the fans or the program. He has been paid so much, continues to be paid so much, with no way to claw it back, and he still doesn’t seem to care very much. No matter what we do, it seems like Calipari will have the last laugh because he’s made so much money off us. That’s frustrating. He’s gotten so rich off us, and will continue to get richer, and there is nothing we can do about it. There is no recourse for him destroying Kentucky.

B) Despite being the program that turned him into a generationally wealthy guy, he sees Kentucky and Kentuckians as a bunch of hillbillies and charity cases. It’s obvious, from the way he spends his money to the way he talks to us “basketball bennies.” He’s already bought his house in Nashville, and I remember him saying after I think the Florida a&m game that his bags were already packed up and he couldn’t wait to get out of there. Yes, I understand he has family there, but coaches, especially with grown children, have family who live in other cities all of the time. Cal not only bought a house there, but mentally, he seems like he is living in Nashville already. He has only contempt and pity for Kentucky and Kentuckians.

These are just my own thoughts but those two things push me over the edge from being unhappy about losing to actively strongly disliking Cal.

I think you just need a good cry.

ADVERTISEMENT