ADVERTISEMENT

Inexcusable play calling

going for it on 4th 1 from your on 35 in 1st quarter down 7-0 with an AA punter on the sideline?

Pathetic.

I had more of an issue with the play call than the call to go for it. The same play call on every 3rd or 4th and 1 has got to change. I mean would it kill us to either go under center and sneak it or do a play action pass to a TE?

I had more of an issue going for it that deep in our own territory when you think about how many times this staff has elected to punt when we were inside the 45 yard line of the other team. To me, we should go for those every time unless it's 4th and 15 or something. So to hardly ever go for those and then to go for this one seemed odd to me.

I had more of an issue with the play call than the call to go for it. The same play call on every 3rd or 4th and 1 has got to change. I mean would it kill us to either go under center and sneak it or do a play action pass to a TE?

That's what you would think but apparently Bowden does not go under center. He was even in the gun on the victory formation.

Reactions: STL_Cat
People have the right to post what ever is on their mind about the team or players as long as It's civil. Message boards are for opinions of the posters, but rebuttals of their post aren't always popular. To many posters really show how little they know about which ever sport they're following. Playing a sport in high school or college helps to understand the game more in most cases but I know several that never played that are extremely knowledgeable. I personally get a kick with those that wear their feelings on their sleeves, seem they just keep digging a deeper hole. Peace everyone, life is short.

QB's will transfer if the coaches won't even put them in during blowouts.
Name one team that hasn't had QBs transfer?
Most of the teams in the SEC are either playing a QB who has transferred to them or had QBs transfer away.
Fields left UGA for Ohio State, Jacob Eason left they year prior and starts this year at Washington
Hurts left Bama for Oklahoma
Bryant left Clemson for Mizzou
Burrow left Ohio State for LSU
Neal left Ball St for Vandy
Hicks left SMU for Arkansas
Stevens left Penn St for Miss St
Smith left Troy for UK... Clark and Hoak left UK...

Most of the teams in the SEC are either playing a QB who has transferred to them or had QBs transfer away.
Fields left UGA for Ohio State, Jacob Eason left they year prior and starts this year at Washington
I'm not saying transfers won't happen. I'm saying they're more likely to happen at UK because we never get snaps for the backup unless there's an injury. But we need to put these scrub teams away and quit toying with them so we can get some experience for our backups. That way they don't look so lost when they do have to come in. I know this is where people will say Lynn Bowden did fine and he did but there was no game film on him and Arkansas is terrible. If he stays the starter I have my doubts that our offense can keep us in games. We will be way too one dimensional.

Fuzz, do you realize that every single high school quarterback that has come to UK since 2011 up until 2017 has transferred, with the exceptions of Drew Barker, who appeared inclined to transfer before instead retiring from football, and Walker Wood, who may yet transfer if he ever wants to see the field as a quarterback?

Fuzz, do you realize that every single high school quarterback that has come to UK since 2011 up until 2017 has transferred, with the exceptions of Drew Barker, who appeared inclined to transfer before instead retiring from football, and Walker Wood, who may yet transfer if he ever wants to see the field as a quarterback?
They have left because they get recruited over.

Who has left that could have helped us?
Let's review...
Max Smith (2011) played 3 years as a part time starter...leaves after the 2013 season being replaced by Patrick Towles
Bookie Cobbins (2011) never played, kicked off the team for marijuana possession.

Patrick Towles(2012) played 3 years and leaves when beat out by Drew Barker who gets hurt in game 2...some think in game 1. We got Steven Johnson to fill that void. Worked out pretty well didn't it?

Reese Phillips(2013) played in 3 games as a frosh going 2 -9 doesn't play next year. Transfers to Montana...

Drew Barker(2014) plays in 5 games as a frosh, named starter for 2015 gets injured...tries to come back the next year but is obviously not the same...gives up football at the end of the year

Nobody signed in 2015

Gunnar Hoak(2016) redshirts, plays sparingly behind Steven Johnson(2017), Terry Wilson (2018) and leaves as a grad transfer to sit at Ohio State.

Danny Clark (2017) redshirts, is 3rd string behind Wilson and Hoak 2018...leaves for JC

Now tell me what player got mishandled, should have played more?
Some were starters at one time who got replaced by younger players...
Others were 3rd string except for Hoak who was 2nd string but still wasn't going to see the field much barring injury. Had he stayed he would likely be our starter but the kid had graduated and figured if he was going to sit the bench that he do it at OSU where he is a legacy.

My guess is that if you reviewed a lot of teams you would see this as the norm more than the exception.

I'm not saying transfers won't happen. I'm saying they're more likely to happen at UK because we never get snaps for the backup unless there's an injury. But we need to put these scrub teams away and quit toying with them so we can get some experience for our backups. That way they don't look so lost when they do have to come in. I know this is where people will say Lynn Bowden did fine and he did but there was no game film on him and Arkansas is terrible. If he stays the starter I have my doubts that our offense can keep us in games. We will be way too one dimensional.
How many "scrub teams" do we play?
A kid is going to stay because he gets a few mop up snaps in 1 or 2 games?

We had Smith as a backup with experience. In his first game he throws a pick and hurts his wrist making the tackle...continues to play and injures shoulder.
Our #3 gets hurt pre-season...so you want Wood to get snaps when the kid is physically shot? We can get him snaps...if we have to play him we're hosed anyway.

It will get more difficult for Lynn but he's the best option you have. Every snap he takes he is getting experience at the position...you want to give those snaps to Wood? Gilmore isn't even dressing for games.

How many "scrub teams" do we play?
A kid is going to stay because he gets a few mop up snaps in 1 or 2 games?

We had Smith as a backup with experience. In his first game he throws a pick and hurts his wrist making the tackle...continues to play and injures shoulder.
Our #3 gets hurt pre-season...so you want Wood to get snaps when the kid is physically shot? We can get him snaps...if we have to play him we're hosed anyway.

It will get more difficult for Lynn but he's the best option you have. Every snap he takes he is getting experience at the position...you want to give those snaps to Wood? Gilmore isn't even dressing for games.
As I said earlier the backup does not play unless there's an injury. Then he is forced to come in and take snaps and is not prepared because he has no experience. And if Wood literally is no option at all, then why in the world is he taking up a scholarship? As far as the scrub teams, EMU and UT-Martin this year would qualify. But even if TW had not gotten hurt late in the EMU game, if Smith got in he would only be handing the ball off. The coaches would not let him throw the ball to get some experience.

As I said earlier the backup does not play unless there's an injury. Then he is forced to come in and take snaps and is not prepared because he has no experience. And if Wood literally is no option at all, then why in the world is he taking up a scholarship? As far as the scrub teams, EMU and UT-Martin this year would qualify. But even if TW had not gotten hurt late in the EMU game, if Smith got in he would only be handing the ball off. The coaches would not let him throw the ball to get some experience.
Smith had 254 passing attempts in college before ever taking a snap at UK. In fact he had almost the same about of experience as Terry Wilson, Wilson had 268 attempts. He has since passed TW in passing attempts, completions, games played, passing yds in his career.
Smith had the final two TD passes and 9 attempts vs EMU...did you not watch the game?
We have not yet played UT-Martin.

Wood is the scout team QB. He had committed to UK and was injured in the state championship game in high school. UK honored their offer and signed him anyway. He has had two additional surgeries since arriving on campus. They would like to move him to a different position but because of other departures can't do so.

Smith had 254 passing attempts in college before ever taking a snap at UK. In fact he had almost the same about of experience as Terry Wilson, Wilson had 268 attempts. He has since passed TW in passing attempts, completions, games played, passing yds in his career.
Smith had the final two TD passes and 9 attempts vs EMU...did you not watch the game?

Wood is the scout team QB. He had committed to UK and was injured in the state championship game in high school. UK honored their offer and signed him anyway. He has had two additional surgeries since arriving on campus. They would like to move him to a different position but because of other departures can't do so.
Yes I watched the game and afterwards reporters caught Stoops apologizing to the other coach for throwing the ball that late when basically said "my guy's out for the year and I had to get him (Smith) some experience." Again, if TW had not gotten hurt then Smith probably would not have played at all and if he did then he would've only handed the ball off. We've seen that over and over with Stoops. And Smith's experience is with Troy. For whatever reason, it takes our QB's quite a while to be effective in our system.

And I know we haven't played UTM yet but we will probably toy around with them when we should stomp them and get our backups some experience. That is my biggest complaint. I'm not saying Stoops is not doing a good job with the program but there are some things, specifically on offense, that I scratch my head over. I remember it was maybe last year or the year before where Snell was running the ball at the end of the game when we were up a couple of scores. I was like are we trying to get him hurt or are our backups that bad?

I agree and you’re wasting your breath or here your fingers. These guys have dug their heels in and will not change their minds. My advice is when this type of conversation starts just speak you piece once and move on. JMHO

So who is at fault? Certainly not the dudes making millions. If Stoops ever leaves this job, he must be a moron.

Nobody?
Clark and Hoak wanted a chance to play and QB1 was (rightfully) Terry Wilson's job. They weren't happy with being backups so they sought other opportunities. I don't know what Danny Clark is doing but Hoak is like 3rd string or something at osu, so it didn't work out for him.

I don't know why there has to be fault assigned. It's just the circumstances we face now.

Last edited:
Reactions: SECCountry75
ADVERTISEMENT