ADVERTISEMENT

Indiana fans actually believe Donovan may be their next coach.

It would cost IU 10 million just to pay Crean his 3 mil buyout plus Alfords almost 8 million buyout before a contract would even be added..
Maybe they could get slick Rick. I hear that Bloomington is the answer to the question:
"Where the white girls at?"

Reactions: Supafuzz75
Coaching OKC isn't like coaching in LA, Chicago or NY, but coaching in Bloomington, Indiana is?

Look, Donovan JUST got to the pros, he just got there, you think he's going to throw that away to coach in Indiana? You're nuts.

Coaching in OKC, he's stuck with Russell Westbrook and a few decent players.

Donovan isn't going to win in OKC. He won't draw elite free agents. You know and I know they aren't going to OKC.

In 2 years, they'll trade Westbrook and start a total rebuild. THAT is Billy D's future.

Again, while IU isn't currently a team on the level of UK, KU, UNC and Duke, the ability to get to that level is there.

You can deny that fact, but it's there. IU has the gigantic fan support, a phenomenal home court advantage, great facilities, a home state that is usually brewing with talent, the number one recruiting budget in the B1G, great history and lore, I don't really need to go on.

Clappy couldn't capitalize on these advantages because he was a shit coach. Sorry to be blunt, but you know I'm right.

Donovan? At IU?

Things would get really, really interesting if that were to happen.

That's because you are delusional. No rational person would mention IUsed2B in the same sentence with UK, KU, Duke, or UNC.

Not right now they wouldn't, being that the last 3 coaches IU hired were Mike Davis, Kelvin Sampson and Tom Crean.

The ability to get to that level exists.

With the right coach, it could happen.

...and you know it.

Reactions: gmcmino
Donovan will come back to college at some point, like Cal and Rick. He'd be my choice when Cal leaves if it's in the near future (after Brad is done).

Donovan is proving himself, he did last year and doing admirably this year. He has proven himself in the pros and has already checked the NCAA box.

If I was Donovan, taking over for Pitino would be more attractive. Better faciliities and less stress. Plus you don't have to live in Bloomington

Donovan isn't going to win in OKC. He won't draw elite free agents. You know and I know they aren't going to OKC.

In 2 years, they'll trade Westbrook and start a total rebuild. THAT is Billy D's future.

Again, while IU isn't currently a team on the level of UK, KU, UNC and Duke, the ability to get to that level is there.

You can deny that fact, but it's there. IU has the gigantic fan support, a phenomenal home court advantage, great facilities, a home state that is usually brewing with talent, the number one recruiting budget in the B1G, great history and lore, I don't really need to go on.

Clappy couldn't capitalize on these advantages because he was a shit coach. Sorry to be blunt, but you know I'm right.

Donovan? At IU?

You're dreaming. You have absolutely zero proof, zero, that Donovan is interested in IU. Uk offered Donovan twice. Both times he played with it and nearly took it once. He's got ties to UK, been offered UK, and declined. He stayed at Florida to get ready to make an NBA jump. With Durant leaving, it's given him a ton of time. He's not under pressure and by all accounts people like him in OKC. That has been a dream of his for years. And you wouldn't know it, because you've got no idea about him or his story. You're just excited about a new coach and want to pretend IU is a strong enough draw to pull guys like Donovan. You're not.

Come back and bump this thread when it's over. I'd almost guarantee you hire Alford or Marshal. Both better than what you've had, but the Donovan / Stevens talk is absurd. Enjoy playing with those ideas, but that's all it is. Ideas.

Donovan? At IU?

That doesn't mean Donovan's only option to OKC is to return to college. He could also move up the NBA ladder to better jobs, the same way mid major coaches move up to P5 programs.

Popovich is in his 70's, so the Spurs job may come open in a few years. I can even envision him replacing Spolstra in Miami or Luke Walton in LA. In fact, Boston and Golden State are the only two jobs I see that won't come open for a long time. Everyone else is on the table.

I'm an IU fan and while I wouldn't say it was probable, I wouldn't call Donovan being interested in IU completely out of the realm of possibility either.

OKC will never, ever draw elite free agents and with Durant gone, their title hopes are GONE.

Coaching in OKC isn't exactly coaching in LA, NY or Chicago.

I mean, sure it's possible Donovan loves the NBA lifestyle and not having to recruit but if not and he's thinking about returning to college basketball, the IU job would definitely be a draw.

Big-time jobs like UK, KU, Duke or UNC aren't open. IU has definitely fallen well below those teams, but with the right coach....that gap could be closed.

I think you're about half right and half wrong. I think you're wrong about Donovan cause I'd bet that's it's a damn near impossibility that he leaves OKC for Indiana. As long as Westbrook is there, they could possibly draw another elite free Agent to go there. If he goes, then you're right, it's back to drafting their team cause no free agent is going there.

But I think you're right about IU closing the gap to us with the right hire. Obviously, they're not a blue blood and haven't been in a really long time. I know that sucks to hear as an IU but it's just the truth. Crean had you guys relevant a couple different times during his tenure but that about it. I hope the fan base isn't delusional about who they can go after. (Well, yeah I do but just not you cause u seem to be one of the level heads of the fan base) I think should go after Marshall, Archie Miller, and Alford. I would say Chris Holtman but I think he's going to be a star and would like for him to keep building his coaching for a possible UK job down the road. But those are the names I think are realistic. JK about Holtman, add him to that list, they should go after him too actually.

I do think it's completely dumb and VERY unrealistic to say names like Donovan and Stevens. They ain't walking through that door. Donovan may come back to college one day but I think it would be at a Blue Blood program. He obviously won't come here because of Pitino. But I think he'd wait on the right job if he is able to and able to keep his NBA job.

I think you're about half right and half wrong. I think you're wrong about Donovan cause I'd bet that's it's a damn near impossibility that he leaves OKC for Indiana. As long as Westbrook is there, they could possibly draw another elite free Agent to go there. If he goes, then you're right, it's back to drafting their team cause no free agent is going there.

But I think you're right about IU closing the gap to us with the right hire. Obviously, they're not a blue blood and haven't been in a really long time. I know that sucks to hear as an IU but it's just the truth. Crean had you guys relevant a couple different times during his tenure but that about it. I hope the fan base isn't delusional about who they can go after. (Well, yeah I do but just not you cause u seem to be one of the level heads of the fan base) I think should go after Marshall, Archie Miller, and Alford. I would say Chris Holtman but I think he's going to be a star and would like for him to keep building his coaching for a possible UK job down the road. But those are the names I think are realistic. JK about Holtman, add him to that list, they should go after him too actually.

I do think it's completely dumb and VERY unrealistic to say names like Donovan and Stevens. They ain't walking through that door. Donovan may come back to college one day but I think it would be at a Blue Blood program. He obviously won't come here because of Pitino. But I think he'd wait on the right job if he is able to and able to keep his NBA job.

That's the reason Donovan never took the UK job. He was never going to take the UK job with Pitino at UL.

Reactions: UKCATSFREAK
That's the reason Donovan never took the UK job. He was never going to take the UK job with Pitino at UL.

Yeah, that's what I meant in my post. He didn't want to compete with Rick that way. I guess I can kinda understand that but at the time it really sucked. I would bet that Pitino didn't want him to be at UK either. I would bet anything that they talked about it. You know Donovan thought long and hard about coming and, depending on who you ask, was close to accepting the job after Tubby. If so, I'm sure he called Rick to get his thoughts and I'd bet Pitino "advised" (ask) him not to take it.

Reactions: lonnie boyd
Donovan is not leaving one of the better NBA teams for a has been program in Indiana. Brad Stevens isnt leaving the Celtics... not while they are still on the upswing ....

IU's best shot is at getting Alford period..........

I'm an IU fan and while I wouldn't say it was probable, I wouldn't call Donovan being interested in IU completely out of the realm of possibility either.

OKC will never, ever draw elite free agents and with Durant gone, their title hopes are GONE.

I mean, sure it's possible Donovan loves the NBA lifestyle and not having to recruit but if not and he's thinking about returning to college basketball, the IU job would definitely be a draw.

Big-time jobs like UK, KU, Duke or UNC aren't open. IU has definitely fallen well below those teams, but with the right coach....that gap could be closed.

I'm sorry to bust your bubble but i think Billy D. will be the next UolL Coach if they can't get recuits in OKC, i hope not but that is what i'm afraid of.

Only job Billy D comes back to college for is UK! AFTER CAL'S TIME IS DONE HERE! UK can pull it off not IU!

Have it on good authority that Billy D is very interested in IU. He called slick rick to get his permission to take the job but daddy told him not as long as little dick is in minny.

Reactions: Bluest Member
This feels like the job that pulls Archie Miller out of Dayton or Greg Marshall from Wichita state. Good coaches both.

Reactions: westerncat

Donovan? At IU?

In my opinion, the timing is not going to align, like I said, he just got there, he isn't going to want to throw in the towel so soon.

Donovan is not leaving one of the better NBA teams for a has been program in Indiana. Brad Stevens isnt leaving the Celtics... not while they are still on the upswing ....

IU's best shot is at getting Alford period..........

When people mention Alford, that's when it gets idiotic.

Now, is Fred Glass dumb enough to hire Alford? Sure he is.

Should Alford be considered? Only if Glass wants IU to remain in the abyss.

Alford has coached 22 years and has never been past the Sweet 16.

I'll just leave that there.

And as for the people who are saying I am somehow predicting that Donovan ends up in Bloomington, I'm not.

All I'm saying is that OKC's window has SLAMMED SHUT (it has) and if Donovan isn't going to be content being a perpetual NBA also-ran until Westbrook is traded and they rebuild and if he possibly wants to get back into college coaching, IU is THE best job out there right now. By a lot. It's a job where Donovan could flourish quickly and I 100% believe Donovan will be back coaching college ball in the very near future.

Likely not at IU, but he'll be back coaching college ball.

It would cost IU 10 million just to pay Crean his 3 mil buyout plus Alfords almost 8 million buyout before a contract would even be added..

No. Creans buyout is offset by his future earnings. The $4mil he is owed is paid out over the lifetime of the contract so $1.333mil a year, he'll likely find a job paying at least that. IU will likely not have to pay a single penny of the buyout.

IU goes to the Chicken Palace to play UL in December 2017 and UL goes to crumbling Assembly Barn to play IU in 2018.

Donovan isn't coming. IU fans need to lay off the meth.

IU goes to the Chicken Palace to play UL in December 2017 and UL goes to crumbling Assembly Barn to play IU in 2018.

Donovan isn't coming. IU fans need to lay off the meth.

Why, exactly, does Donovan have some weird thing about playing Pitino?

They personally aren't going to put on gloves and fight it out at center court.

Their teams would play against each other.

Explain to me exactly why Donovan won't play Pitino.

Why, exactly, does Donovan have some weird thing about playing Pitino?

They personally aren't going to put on gloves and fight it out at center court.

Their teams would play against each other.

Explain to me exactly why Donovan won't play Pitino.

He has a weird loyalty to Pitino. Donovan turned down the UK job twice because Pitino was at UL.

Reactions: lonnie boyd

As bad as coaching in OKC is, it has to be better then coaching in Bloomington, Indiana.

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!

Reactions: JoeBeeHall

Only gap they are closing is the thing in Creans panties .

ADVERTISEMENT