ADVERTISEMENT

Indiana fans actually believe Donovan may be their next coach.

I mean Billy is stuck in the awful NBA and I'm sure he wants out soon. IU may get him but it will be because college is better then the NBA.

I'm an IU fan and while I wouldn't say it was probable, I wouldn't call Donovan being interested in IU completely out of the realm of possibility either.

OKC will never, ever draw elite free agents and with Durant gone, their title hopes are GONE.

Coaching in OKC isn't exactly coaching in LA, NY or Chicago.

I mean, sure it's possible Donovan loves the NBA lifestyle and not having to recruit but if not and he's thinking about returning to college basketball, the IU job would definitely be a draw.

Big-time jobs like UK, KU, Duke or UNC aren't open. IU has definitely fallen well below those teams, but with the right coach....that gap could be closed.

I'm an IU fan and while I wouldn't say it was probable, I wouldn't call Donovan being interested in IU completely out of the realm of possibility either.

OKC will never, ever draw elite free agents and with Durant gone, their title hopes are GONE.

I mean, sure it's possible Donovan loves the NBA lifestyle and not having to recruit but if not and he's thinking about returning to college basketball, the IU job would definitely be a draw.

Big-time jobs like UK, KU, Duke or UNC aren't open. IU has definitely fallen well below those teams, but with the right coach....that gap could be closed.

If you'll buy that I'll throw the Golden Gate in free.

Reactions: plaxico80
Good god, can you imagine if Donavon DID take that job? He could have them back in the hunt every year withing 2 years, IMO.

Former college coach with 2 'ships, and a former NBA coach. He could recruit well IMO, and he wouldn't have to travel far, as Indiana produces very good talent year in and year out.

Hoping like hell he doesn't take it.

Reactions: Richard Cory
iu has never kept all the studs home. Teams have always came in plucked out players. Granted the state has a great recruiting base it isnt necessarily iu first on the pecking order.

Reactions: trueblue1958
iu has never kept all the studs home. Teams have always came in plucked out players. Granted the state has a great recruiting base it isnt necessarily iu first on the pecking order.
Oh, I agree, but IF a good coach, with a proven track record like BD comes in, he might be able to change that and land the instate talent.

I also think it's quite possible Alford could do the same thing, hell maybe even better since he grew up there, played there, etc.

Hoping like hell for Crean part 2......

As much as I make jokes at the expense of IU, I have to give you credit for a respectful and reasonable post. With that said, I'd be shocked if Billy D left the NBA for the Hoosiers.

Last edited:
Archie Miller if they are smart. Marshall has it pretty good where he is but that would my other call if it were me.

Reactions: csrupp
Good god, can you imagine if Donavon DID take that job? He could have them back in the hunt every year withing 2 years, IMO.

Former college coach with 2 'ships, and a former NBA coach. He could recruit well IMO, and he wouldn't have to travel far, as Indiana produces very good talent year in and year out.

Why would he?

It is inevitable as an NBA coach that you will get fired at some point, unless you are Coach Pop at San Antonio. It is not a matter of if but when. Sure, Billy could move to another NBA team,all of those pro teams recycle. Maybe he doesn't want to be a journeyman like a Dunleavy. If he does moderately well at IU he could stay there until retirement. All pro teams are just like men are to their women. At some point they will get tired of you. People like Belichick or Pop are the exception and that is only because they win championships.

It is inevitable as an NBA coach that you will get fired at some point, unless you are Coach Pop at San Antonio. It is not a matter of if but when. Sure, Billy could move to another NBA team,all of those pro teams recycle. Maybe he doesn't want to be a journeyman like a Dunleavy. If he does moderately well at IU he could stay there until retirement. All pro teams are just like men are to their women. At some point they will get tired of you. People like Belichick or Pop are the exception and that is only because they win championships.
There are some exceptions. As a Bengals fan, I don't understand how Marvin Lewis has lasted so long.

Exactly my thinking.

Exactly.

I don't know that Donovan would take the job, but if he did (with IU's resources) he would excel in a HURRY.

.....and again, right now IU is easily the best job available.

Reactions: Anthony B
OKC has at least a month of season left, then if they win a their first round series, thats another few weeks, hard to see iu waiting that long. Recruiting kicks in pretty damn quick in April

Coaching OKC isn't like coaching in LA, Chicago or NY, but coaching in Bloomington, Indiana is?

Look, Donovan JUST got to the pros, he just got there, you think he's going to throw that away to coach in Indiana? You're nuts.

Reactions: csrupp
I wouldn't call Donovan being interested in IU completely out of the realm of possibility either.

the IU job would definitely be a draw.

That's because you are delusional. No rational person would mention IUsed2B in the same sentence with UK, KU, Duke, or UNC.

Listening to mad dog spirts on sirius earlier and they thought it was possible.

Basically OKC is NBA purgatory. The team isn't good enough to win. Not bad enougj for an elite pick. And no elite player wants to play with Westbrook. So Donovan may want out.

ADVERTISEMENT