ADVERTISEMENT

In your opinion. What one fact says UK is the greatest basketball school ever?

TopCatCal

Senior
Dec 10, 2012
Mine would be, the fact that Kentucky is the ONLY school ever. To have 5 different head coaches win national championships..... And if you want to take this a step farther. I'm sure that UK is the ONLY school ever. To have 6 different head coaches to advance to the Elite 8. And not only that, but to also win 30 or more games in a season.

The NCAA lists the nation's winningest programs for each decade by W/L percentage. UK's ranks since the 1930s:

1930-39 #2

1940-49 #1

1950-59 #1

1960-69 #5

1970-79 #5

1980-89 #9

1990-99 #2

2000-09 #18

2010-18 #3

No other school is even CLOSE to this level of greatness.

Even though UCLA has more championships, It really feels like everyone is chasing UK in every aspect of college basketball.
The University of Kentucky isn’t the gold standard of college basketball, UK is college basketball !!

Reactions: susan2361
The crazy ass fans that live and breath basketball year round. I guess you could say the fans make it a year round sport.

Reactions: michaeluk26
OP’s stat is my all time favorite UK stat. Shows we aren’t a one trick pony (cough Duke cough), or even a two, three, or four trick pony. We’re a five trick pony. I like ponies.

Reactions: TopCatCal
Kansas and UCLA the only teams with a counter argument. Neither are top 5 in alltime wins or championships. UK 1 and 2 in both. No other program with that level of winning consistently through history

Sorry UNCheat you’re not even in the arguement. I don’t care if Michael Jordan played there.

History speaks for itself.

Which is why fans whining about teams like Duke and Louisville drives me crazy.

We are fans of the greatest program in college basketball!!

Acting like jealous children does not become us.

Mine would be, the fact that Kentucky is the ONLY school ever. To have 5 different head coaches win national championships..... And if you want to take this a step farther. I'm sure that UK is the ONLY school ever. To have 6 different head coaches to advance to the Elite 8. And not only that, but to also win 30 or more games in a season.

5 coaches winning titles is the most impressive stat. Proves that the program is bigger than any 1 coach.

When K retires, Duke will fall off, ala UCLA and Indiana. Anyone remember the season he sat out for back surgery? UConn made a great little run while Calhoun was there. It's now a dumpster fire.

The only similar programs (multiple titles won by 3+ coaches) in my mind are UNC and KU.

For 60 consecutive years UK has maintained an all time winning percentage over 75%. Over the same period, no other team has accomplished this for even one year.
Hold on now. What? I'm trying to figure this one out. It's still early and have yet to have my coffee. Lol

Hold on now. What? I'm trying to figure this one out. It's still early and have yet to have my coffee. Lol
For 60 consecutive years UK has maintained an all time winning percentage over 75%. Over the same period, no other team has accomplished this for even one year.

If a team plays 40 games in a season and wins 36 (like Villanova this past year), they won 90% of their games. If a team plays 37 games and wins 29 (like Duke this past year), they won 78% of their games. There are numerous teams every year that win over 75% of their games.

Percentages - I don't think you understand them, or you meant some other time frame besides 1 year.

Duke has been good with K, IU was good with Knight, UCLA was good with Wooden, UNC was good when they cheated but UK has been good with different coaches, styles and types of players.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT