ADVERTISEMENT

In Summary, How Is Kentucky's Transfer Portal Attempts Going?

rucker4

Freshman
Dec 8, 2021
So many varied threads always tough keeping up. How's UK doing with commitments besides Mertz in the transfer portal or guys that they feel good about landing? How many do you see coming from the portal?

At Iowa, we just nabbed our second portal pick up yesterday in TE Erick All from Michigan-- joining QB Cade McNamara from Michigan to Iowa. Significant pick ups in both cases. Biggest thing to me is both guys were captains on this year's Michigan team so we're adding big-time leadership.

Iowa has been ultra conservative previously in the portal but this year I bet we could easily see at least 6 coming via the portal. Ferentz is adapting to the times though I think probably with trepidation.

We so far have had one significant loss to the portal in LB Jestin Jacobs to Oregon. Hed scratcher move. Big NIL $$$$$ reported though for him in that move. He'll be a top 2 or 3 round pick in the draft in a year if he can stay healthy (been an issue with him).

Mertz is not officially committed yet. Leary visited this week and there’s some chatter that he may be the one we get/take. We’ve had several WR’s enter.

Oh and the forecast for the Bowl Game High of 15 ouch!!

So many varied threads always tough keeping up. How's UK doing with commitments besides Mertz in the transfer portal or guys that they feel good about landing? How many do you see coming from the portal?

At Iowa, we just nabbed our second portal pick up yesterday in TE Erick All from Michigan-- joining QB Cade McNamara from Michigan to Iowa. Significant pick ups in both cases. Biggest thing to me is both guys were captains on this year's Michigan team so we're adding big-time leadership.

Iowa has been ultra conservative previously in the portal but this year I bet we could easily see at least 6 coming via the portal. Ferentz is adapting to the times though I think probably with trepidation.

We so far have had one significant loss to the portal in LB Jestin Jacobs to Oregon. Hed scratcher move. Big NIL $$$$$ reported though for him in that move. He'll be a top 2 or 3 round pick in the draft in a year if he can stay healthy (been an issue with him).

I read that Jacobs wanted to be more of a edge LB and rush the QB. Which seems like something Iowa doesn’t really use it’s LBs for. Also probably NIL too

Mertz is not officially committed yet. Leary visited this week and there’s some chatter that he may be the one we get/take. We’ve had several WR’s enter.

The bowl game high of 15??? Not following.

As for Mertz, appreciate the clarity-- I pretty much thought that was a done deal. I've done enough voicing of my thoughts in threads here on Mertz :) I do think there are better options for you guys out there now and maybe even more entering.

Do you know, is Duece Hogan (former Hawkeye) in the portal or is he planning to be back at UK?

We need a QB, RB (most likely Davis from Vandy), WR, and at least 1 more OL (we took Bowles from Bama already). Then on D it depends on draft decisions but at least a LB and CB. More if some guys go pro or transfer out.

I read that Jacobs wanted to be more of a edge LB and rush the QB. Which seems like something Iowa doesn’t really use it’s LBs for. Also probably NIL too
You're right on Jacobs. He was being counted on big-time next year at Iowa especially considering our LB losses in graduation, but he left for what he thought was a better opportunity at Oregon and a reported $100,000 NIL deal. The irony was most felt we'd lose him after last year to Ohio State (he almost went there out of high school) but he ended up staying.

The thing on Jacobs is in 4 years at Iowa he played in a total of 19 games. He was hurt in the opening game this year and missed the remainder of the season. He was our football version of Ryan Hogan in basketball-- just struggled staying healthy during his career here. If he can stay healthy he can do some big things.

The bowl game high of 15??? Not following.

As for Mertz, appreciate the clarity-- I pretty much thought that was a done deal. I've done enough voicing of my thoughts in threads here on Mertz :) I do think there are better options for you guys out there now and maybe even more entering.

Do you know, is Duece Hogan (former Hawkeye) in the portal or is he planning to be back at UK?
The forecast for Kentucky vs Iowa in the Music City bowl is a high temp of 15 degrees.

Believe Hogan will be back. There is some noise that we may take 2 QB’s in the portal with Leary and Mertz at the top of the list. Believe Leary is the one they want.

The forecast for Kentucky vs Iowa in the Music City bowl is a high temp of 15 degrees.

Believe Hogan will be back. There is some noise that we may take 2 QB’s in the portal with Leary and Mertz at the top of the list. Believe Leary is the one they want.
My only thing on the weather is December 31 is still just over two weeks out so hard to get too worked up about that now as the forecast could change a lot between now and then. If it is a very cold weather day obviously Iowa will take that because we are used to that environment.

On top of that, I expect Iowa to go pretty heavy with the run in the game. Will have a QB whose not played a down in college yet, have a very depleted WR corps, top TE LaPorta might not even play because of injury. Then throw in a potential for cold weather-- heavy run game for Iowa.

As for your QB, thanks for the update on Duece. Not sure why the dude hangs around if he's not really factoring into their plans and is still non-scholarship. You'd think he could potentially nab a schollie at low DI or even DII but he seems to want to be a member of a Power 5 program.

Nebraska brought in two QBs from the portal a year ago. Both played this past year. Will see if that's the approach UK uses.

My daughter and son-in- law took me to the Tennessee game to break my spirit. Now they are taking me to the bowl game to freeze me to death. I don't have the heart to tell them their inheritance has been eaten up by inflation and a bad stock market.

My daughter and son-in- law took me to the Tennessee game to break my spirit. Now they are taking me to the bowl game to freeze me to death. I don't have the heart to tell them their inheritance has been eaten up by inflation and a bad stock market.
Hopefully the weather will be like normal around here changing every other day lol.

Will be a balmy 69 in my living room. I usually try to go to most bowls and even though this ones close to home, I'm gonna stay put this year.

My only thing on the weather is December 31 is still just over two weeks out so hard to get too worked up about that now as the forecast could change a lot between now and then. If it is a very cold weather day obviously Iowa will take that because we are used to that environment.

On top of that, I expect Iowa to go pretty heavy with the run in the game. Will have a QB whose not played a down in college yet, have a very depleted WR corps, top TE LaPorta might not even play because of injury. Then throw in a potential for cold weather-- heavy run game for Iowa.

As for your QB, thanks for the update on Duece. Not sure why the dude hangs around if he's not really factoring into their plans and is still non-scholarship. You'd think he could potentially nab a schollie at low DI or even DII but he seems to want to be a member of a Power 5 program.

Nebraska brought in two QBs from the portal a year ago. Both played this past year. Will see if that's the approach UK uses.

Thought Deuce transferred to UK as a walk-on?

Reactions: vikingfer
In my experience, a weather prediction 16 days ahead-of-time is about as worthless as a weather forecast 60 days ahead-of-time.
Have a family friend who is a long time meteorologist who has always told me anything beyond 72-hours is nothing more than a complete crapshoot 90+% of the time.

Tell them at Christmas.
That way you can watch the Bowl Game from the comfort of your couch in your nice warm new rest home room they will put you in for losing all their money.

Sounds to me they are trying to get you to die earlier for whatever inheritance exists by taking you to a game you may freeze your ass off and having taken you to one to break your spirit. :)

Reactions: Johnfarrel
I live about 40 minutes from Nissan Stadium. I promise you my weather forecast is accurate. It will either be 15° with a 25 mph breeze out of the North or 55° with a 6 mile an hour breeze out of the South. It could be as warm as 70 or as cold as 0. If it's 32° or below it will not snow there will be ice. If it's 60° or above it will rain. My honest prediction at this point is 45° partly cloudy with a 10 mile an hour wind out of some direction with a chance of snow, rain, ice, hail, or a random tornado. I can almost guarantee you there will not be a hurricane that day but my forecasts have been wrong before. 🙃

If I were to rate our off-season so far, I would rate it a C.......with potential.

OC - Nailed the choice
RB coach - Good choice
OL - Just picked up a very good, experienced position of need
RB - have some good prospects, but still waiting
QB - We are in on one of the best QB's in the portal.....and are in on some fair prospects if Leary doesn't work out. But, once again, we're waiting.

"IF" we land Leary and Davis while also avoiding any more significant losses, I think it'd be an A+.

If I were to rate our off-season so far, I would rate it a C.......with potential.

OC - Nailed the choice
RB coach - Good choice
QB - We are in on one of the best QB's in the portal.....and are in on some fair prospects if Leary doesn't work out. But, once again, we're waiting.

"IF" we land Leary and Davis while also avoiding any more significant losses, I think it'd be an A+.
Hoping for Davis. Guy was a 1000+ yard rusher this year in the SEC, those types don't just fall off trees. Add Wilcox/Cornist and hope Jefferson can return and RB room will be solid.

He did. I said he was still non-scholarship.

My bad. I mis-read your post and missed the "non" in there.

On another note, maybe he thought he had a shot that isn't there, but he also wants to get into coaching and figured UK was a better place to do that than Iowa? IDK

Reactions: rucker4
Jokes aside I hope you and your kids have a good time. I took my dad to the '07 bowl down there and it was pretty cold too...but not 15 degrees cold!

Jokes aside I hope you and your kids have a good time. I took my dad to the '07 bowl down there and it was pretty cold too...but not 15 degrees cold!
We had a good time in Knoxville this year. Tailgated in their Airstream. They're good to me. We went to the 06 and 09 games against Clemson. Won O7, lost 09.

OC - Nailed the choice
RB coach - Good choice

Even though our recruiting class is kind of disappointing (so far) it will matter less if we own the portal. If we get Leary and Davis this weekend I can't imagine many teams would outrank our portal class.

Reactions: BlueRaider22
Getting 3-4 starters out of the portal may not be reflected in recruiting rankings, but imagine an incoming freshman class with 3-4 starters on day 1 and one of them being a QB.

The other side of the coin is I’m guessing most SEC teams are doing the same thing. I don’t know if portal is break even since most schools fill a few needs with starters from the portal.

I do think Stoops and Marrow are going to pull some recruiting surprises before/on signing day.

Getting Hardaway immediately after CV announced his leaving for NFL was no coincidence in my opinion.

We got one potential starter on defense BECAUSE we lost the other starter on defense.
I think Hardaway was headed to Lexington regardless. He is Smith's replacement. AFAIK, Kentucky was the only school Hardaway visited. It does not matter now, except that Stoops could still use another corner because CV is gone.

Reactions: cathouse

Just read that the temperature at Noon on gameday should be 35 degrees and 32 degrees at 4:00 P.M.

No rain

Getting 3-4 starters out of the portal may not be reflected in recruiting rankings, but imagine an incoming freshman class with 3-4 starters on day 1 and one of them being a QB.

The other side of the coin is I’m guessing most SEC teams are doing the same thing. I don’t know if portal is break even since most schools fill a few needs with starters from the portal.

I do think Stoops and Marrow are going to pull some recruiting surprises before/on signing day.

AU will have quite a few starters from the portal znd QB is likely a position, if the pull any of the 3-4 WR they are after, MSST, MISSOURI, KENT State. They are also deep into the group leaving ATM. If the can get some OL to come they are likely starter.

Awesome!!! We addressed two major needs RB and CB with the #3 ranked players at each position. Don’t know about Cox as far as rankings but I assume he’s a solid starter. Still need a QB but we are sitting good. Need another CB and otherwise just best player available if you get a shot at an impact player. Main goal is fill holes and we doing that.

ADVERTISEMENT