ADVERTISEMENT

In-state guard Dekeyvan "Kyky" Tandy offered by Tennessee

Yeah, there is. Use you available scholarship allotment so your roster has depth to deal those injury situations. That simple.

You say "at one time we were down to 7 scholarship players"? Well, do you understand the reason for that is because Cal CHOSE not to recruit as many scholarship players as he could've? We could have two more scholarship players on this roster, but Cal decided not to use two spots this year.

A coach has nobody to blame for lack of depth but himself in that situation, as he essentially chose not to be deep.
If you count Diallo he brought in an 8 man recruiting class already. People keep bringing up Hollingsworth but he didn’t wait for an offer. He chose to go to WKU because I assume he wanted guaranteed pt which he would’ve never got at UK. Nobody would’ve taken him over the players we already had coming in.

We also don’t have the number of final fours as UT, Bama and OU have either during Cal’s time here. Oh wait, Cal has twice as many as all of those teams combined. How did that happen?
Those FF's all had Ky kids playing in them good point sir

They are CND-Cal Nut Danglers. They are blinded by their undying love for the coach, they don't give a damn about the school or the team, defend Cal at all costs, they were the same with TLT-Ten Loss Tubby
Your the type of fan as with lots on here that deserve to have to suffer through a "bad" season. I hope its really pissing you off. Me im ok with it beause its the law of averages, you go up you come down. You and others are so spoiled and entitled thinking its all about what you want and need.

Reactions: skcatfan
Heaven forbid we have a team full of 4 stars that stayed 4 years and play team basketball, hit free throws, can make shots, play defense, listen to the coach,win games, over a new crop every year that looks like this bunch, can't dribble,dunk,shoot,pass,or listen to coach. Yea, give me option one,please.
Tubby Smith called, he said if that’s what you want he is your man for the job.....

Houston doesn't fit. Only reason he was in-state is because his dad was hired as a UL assistant coach. That was not a miss, as there was never any chance that kid was going anywhere except for UL.

And even the Lofton miss was understandable. That was a situation where we had one scholly left, Tubby had to choose between offering it to Lofton or Ramel Bradley. Bradley was clearly the higher rated prospect at that time, so that's who he chose. His decision made sense, even if the result backfired.

But not offering Hollingsworth makes far less sense, since we had plenty of extra scholarships, and ended up not even using two spots. Essentially Cal elected to take NOBODY over Hollingsworth.

So now we're in a situation where we're DESPERATE for better guard play, have only two legit guards on roster (I don't count Diallo, since he doesn't really have guard skills), and are forced into situations where we have to use friggin Brad Calipari in competitive situations. Makes no sense.
Maybe I'm missing something implied in your post bc I was a young'n in the A.Houston days. But you state, "That was not a miss, as there was never any chance that kid was going anywhere except for UL" yet Houston went to Tennessee.

Reactions: CatColumbia
Maybe I'm missing something implied in your post bc I was a young'n in the A.Houston days. But you state, "That was not a miss, as there was never any chance that kid was going anywhere except for UL" yet Houston went to Tennessee.
Because his dad left a UL assistant job for the UT head coach gig.

Reactions: EliteBlue
Tennessee hired Wade Houston so that’s the only reason Allan Houston went there. If Wade Houston would’ve stayed at UofL as an assistant that’s where Allan Houston would’ve no doubt played.

You are correct. But that's only because his dad was offered the UT job after his HS senior year. During his high school career, it was known by all that he was going to UL. He switched only because his dad changed jobs.

Bottom line: Houston was going wherever his dad was coaching. He was never a possibility for us.

But, you're right, I worded that sentence badly. My fault.

Last edited:
You are correct. But that's only because his dad was offered the UT job after his HS senior year. During his high school career, it known by all that he was going to UL. He switched only because his dad changed jobs.

Bottom line: Houston was going wherever his dad was coaching. He was never a possibility for us.

But, you're right, I worded that sentence badly. My fault.
Wasn't trying to call you out, just looking for clarification. I'm guilty at times of feeling like I made a clear point and then realizing I left out a critical detail bc in my mind it was implied so I figured something like that was the case.

I appreciate you and the other posters above you for filling in the gaps. I was born his freshman year of college so it was a little before I was dialed in to the intrinsics of recruiting lol

Reactions: UK90
ADVERTISEMENT