ADVERTISEMENT

In-state guard Dekeyvan "Kyky" Tandy offered by Tennessee

Geez I wonder about the iq of people on this board at times. I love Dom Hawkins and he certainly contributed an important role when he played. But who did he deserve more playing time over? The Harrison twins? Ulis or Booker? Murray, Fox or Monk? Having a player like Dom coming off the bench is certainly beneficial. Every team could use a guy like that. But to argue he deserved to be playing over the guys I listed is ridiculous.

have you checked his stats....

47% from 3 62% from the field and 78% from the line.

all those numbers looks nice.

His shot looks a little funny but if it goes in at that rate then [thumb2].

Shawn Marion had the ugliest jump shot in NBA history and by the end of his career finished as a 33% 3 point shooter, respectable.

If if goes in, it goes in.

Lonzo Ball has a broke ass busted slap your whore of a mother jumper... shot 41% from 3 last year at UCLA.

Reactions: KINGBEAST and gojvc
Geez I wonder about the iq of people on this board at times. I love Dom Hawkins and he certainly contributed an important role when he played. But who did he deserve more playing time over? The Harrison twins? Ulis or Booker? Murray, Fox or Monk? Having a player like Dom coming off the bench is certainly beneficial. Every team could use a guy like that. But to argue he deserved to be playing over the guys I listed is ridiculous.

Their was many games all those guys stunk up the floor and deserved to be on the bench. Hawkins was a very good player for us.

Funny how you think he sucks when he was on the sec all tourney team

You're wasting your time.

This is a mock Cal thread because we're not a contender this season with 5 star freshmen.

They think 3 star freshmen would be better. Because they'd try hard and improve and play with heart like Derek Willis who was lazy and unfocused for 80% of his time here.

They think Cal won't take a 4 star guard because he only takes 5 stars who jump high even though there are two freshmen on the current roster who disprove that and one committed for next season.

Basically, they're stupid and angry and you can't do much reasoning with that combination.

Basically, they're stupid and angry and you can't do much reasoning with that combination.

Could you possibly be more condescending??? I'm not going to defend arguing Hawkins should have gotten more playing time over the guards we had during his tenure here. But Kentuckians hoping that a couple of local kids can be on the team especially when we are not using our full scholarship allotment is not "stupid and an angry." The University of Kentucky's mission is to provide educational opportunities to residents of Kentucky.

This is a mock Cal thread because we're not a contender this season with 5 star freshmen.

They think 3 star freshmen would be better. Because they'd try hard and improve and play with heart like Derek Willis who was lazy and unfocused for 80% of his time here.

This is flawed and dishonest reasoning, as it falsely presumes this discussion is about a choice between 3 stars and 5 stars. That's not what it's about, instead we could've had BOTH, since we have two extra scholarships that Cal chose not to use this year. A couple kids like Hollingsworth could be on this team without losing anyone else. They would be in ADDITION to the five star players on our roster, NOT instead of.

Again, I have no problem whatsoever with Cal choosing to offer a scholarship to a 5 star instead of a 3 star. That makes perfect sense. But it makes far less sense to offer two spots to NOBODY and just leave extra scholarships unused (one of which you then give to your no talent son).

Last edited:
Reactions: UK till Death
Dom was good but come one man he was very limited too. He did the best he could do and was still at best an average role player.

Another thing too...imagine Dom or Willis were from say Virginia or Minnesota or something..think they would have gotten one sniff from anyone on this staff? And if they would have folks here would have lost their shiiit, once again....

Let Cal know that we don't need another Chris Lofton or Scotty Hopson situation.... theres another one as well can't think of his name

Allan Houston

Lot of instate pressure was made about those 2 guys. Luckily both come here.
You may be right, but I don'tr recall that. Seems to me Cal isn't the kind to succumb o pressure. I believe he has refereed to it as noise. Regardless, I think in the next couple of years there will be a guy or 2 that can play for UK from the state

We could have used 6 10 Ray Spalding now a starter and very good jr at UL from Lou Trinity. They have a jr David Johnson and sr Jay Scruggs who would be additions for quality depth. Ray would be a starter at UK.

yeah we coiud use Spalding NOW, great observation. Im sure you were totally all over him when he was in high school telling everyone here we should get him right?

The 2019 class is probably gonna need to have 5-7 guys. There should be no issue in taking a player like this in a huge class. In a 3 man or 4 man class, eh I get it.

He doesn't have the length Cal wants I would imagine. Plus he has to be able to play multiple positions. We aren't worried about things like shooting and defending your own position as much.
We also don’t have the number of final fours as UT, Bama and OU have either during Cal’s time here. Oh wait, Cal has twice as many as all of those teams combined. How did that happen?

I don't know if that's true or not. But I do know Hollingsworth never got a UK offer. And I know Cal then ended up leaving two extra scholarships unused.

That suggests it would NOT have been "very irresponsible" to offer sooner. It's not like Cal had to search for a way to squeeze him in. Instead, we ended up with more schollies available than Cal could find players to take. So why a need to "wait"?
He needed to make sure he had an open scholarship for his son, Earned Not Given.

8 million a year just doesn't go as far as it used to.

Calling people trolls who think it’s in our best interest to ofer this kid is the ultimate in Cal jock swinging . His nuts must be blocking their vision . If you are good enough to get the offers he has received and he’s a Ky kid willing to come here - offer the kid , if he turns it down so be it .. we are talking the same team that saw Brad Calipari play a few meaningful minutes this year ?

Their was many games all those guys stunk up the floor and deserved to be on the bench. Hawkins was a very good player for us.

Funny how you think he sucks when he was on the sec all tourney team
I didn’t say Hawkins sucks. But he obviously didn’t deserve to play over the other guys or he would be drawing a check in the NBA right now if he was as good as some on here think.

Calling people trolls who think it’s in our best interest to ofer this kid is the ultimate in Cal jock swinging . His nuts must be blocking their vision . If you are good enough to get the offers he has received and he’s a Ky kid willing to come here - offer the kid , if he turns it down so be it .. we are talking the same team that saw Brad Calipari play a few meaningful minutes this year ?
The only reason Brad has played any meaningful minutes this year is solely because of injuries. If Baker was healthy he would be getting plenty of pt most likely since he was supposed to be the best shooter on the team. To suggest the reason Cal doesn’t recruit players from Kentucky is so he can give minutes to Brad is asinine.

I can totally understand Cal not offering kids like this if he's instead offering higher rated prospects.

But I do NOT understand it when he's just leaving two extra scholarships unused (one of which he then gives to his son), as he did this year. That makes no sense to me at all.
Because if you do that , in 3 years we will have a roster full of 4 year guys we recruited to “fill” those empty spots and zero or limited available scholarships for new recruits. It’s not rocket science it’s common sense. Seems to be lacking on this board.

The only reason Brad has played any meaningful minutes this year is solely because of injuries. If Baker was healthy he would be getting plenty of pt most likely since he was supposed to be the best shooter on the team. To suggest the reason Cal doesn’t recruit players from Kentucky is so he can give minutes to Brad is asinine.

no what’s asinine is having a team where 1 injury allows Brad to play meaningful minutes . We have schollies we didn’t use — I’d like to be deep enough where 1 injury to a G or F doesn’t make us play a NAIA player .. agreed or not ?

Cal jock swinging . His nuts must be blocking their vision
They are CND-Cal Nut Danglers. They are blinded by their undying love for the coach, they don't give a damn about the school or the team, defend Cal at all costs, they were the same with TLT-Ten Loss Tubby

Because if you do that , in 3 years we will have a roster full of 4 year guys we recruited to “fill” those empty spots and zero or limited available scholarships for new recruits. It’s not rocket science it’s common sense. Seems to be lacking on this board.
Heaven forbid we have a team full of 4 stars that stayed 4 years and play team basketball, hit free throws, can make shots, play defense, listen to the coach,win games, over a new crop every year that looks like this bunch, can't dribble,dunk,shoot,pass,or listen to coach. Yea, give me option one,please.

Forget useless terms like long, fast, athletic, vertical jump. This is not track. Can he play basketball? Looks like can. If Tennessee, Oklahoma, and Florida have offered, then why not UK?
Bc those teams haven't been recruiting on UK lvl the last 8 years.

no what’s asinine is having a team where 1 injury allows Brad to play meaningful minutes . We have schollies we didn’t use — I’d like to be deep enough where 1 injury to a G or F doesn’t make us play a NAIA player .. agreed or not ?
We’ve had multiple injuries with this team not just one. At one time we were down to 7 scholarship players. There’s no way to plan out a roster to account for that.

Like Briscoe is drawing a check?
He is playing overseas and getting a check. He’s just not good enough to play in the NBA. And he essentially played small forward for us. Hawkins is 6 ft so he wasn’t playing anywhere but the backcourt.

We’ve had multiple injuries with this team not just one. At one time we were down to 7 scholarship players. There’s no way to plan out a roster to account for that.

Yes, there is. Use your available scholarship allotment so your roster has depth to deal with those injury situations. That simple.

You say "at one time we were down to 7 scholarship players"? Well, do you understand the reason for that is because Cal CHOSE not to recruit as many scholarship players as he could've? We could have two more scholarship players, but Cal decided not to use a couple schollies this year.

A coach has nobody to blame for lack of depth but himself in that situation, as he essentially chose not have a deep roster.

Last edited:
Reactions: *Bleedingblue*
I didn’t say Hawkins sucks. But he obviously didn’t deserve to play over the other guys or he would be drawing a check in the NBA right now if he was as good as some on here think.

Teague isn't drawing a check along with many others that have come through here.

I really could care less about the NBA I am more interested in what Kentucky does.

Reactions: KyFaninNC
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT