ADVERTISEMENT

In-state guard Dekeyvan "Kyky" Tandy offered by Tennessee

HoptownCat93

All-American
Gold Member
Dec 7, 2015
https://t.co/HduE4fcuty">pic.twitter.com/HduE4fcuty</a></p>&mdash; Dekeyvan Tandy (@TandyDekeyvan) <a href="

He now has offers from Tennessee, Oklahoma, and Florida.

He's in our backyard, won't say we NEED him, but man I'd love to have him.

Reactions: Dirt Court King
That school has produced a lot of D1 talent but strangely the only graduate who wound up here was walk on, Ravi.

Reactions: MbergCat
I would love to have Tandy. Good 4 year player who could be a big help over the next few years. Best player in Kentucky, imo.

Reactions: DeerTurkHunter1
Scottie Hopson played at Heights, as did Greg Buckner several years ago. I still wish we could have brought Hopson in.

Harold Swanigan at Notre Dame, Isiah Victor at tennessee, Lamont Barnes at Temple, Marty Kline at Morehead State, Tyshawn Edmonson at St. Johns and then Austin Peay (OVC Player of the Year), Darren Alloway at STanford and two foreign exchange students, Sergio Luyk at St. Johns and a guy who went to LSU who's name escapes me...

Cal probably thinks he can't shoot good enough to play here.

He doesn't have the length Cal wants I would imagine. Plus he has to be able to play multiple positions. We aren't worried about things like shooting and defending your own position as much.

Tandy is a pure combo guard.. He can play point or the 2.

KYKY has some great offers, just don't see Cal offering him until his high school season next year if at all. KYKY may pull the trigger and I can't really blame him.

Please don't turn this into some silly "cal hating" thread. I'd love for Kyky to end up at UK. he's certainly good enough. But there is no gain in just throwing hate at our staff.

I can totally understand Cal not offering kids like this if he's instead offering higher rated prospects.

But I do NOT understand it when he's just leaving two extra scholarships unused (one of which he then gives to his son), as he did this year. That makes no sense to me at all.

I can totally understand Cal not offering kids like this if he's instead offering higher rated prospects.

But I do NOT understand it when he's just leaving two extra scholarships unused (one of which he then gives to his son), as he did this year. That makes no sense to me at all.
Especially when we could have used guard help when Green and Baker got hurt. Why not use all the scholarships.

Especially when we could have used guard help when Green and Baker got hurt. Why not use all the scholarships.

No doubt. That Hollingsworth kid from Lexington, now doing so well at WKU, absolutely would've helped us. Why Cal didn't recruit him, and instead chose just to leave two scholarships empty and unused, is baffling to me.

Last edited:
Reactions: chevyman 50
Tandy is a pure combo guard.. He can play point or the 2.

Then Briscoe must have been a power forward because he is a couple inches bigger than Tandy according to this.

SHOOTING GUARD
6'1'' | 180 LBS
CLASS OF 2019

HOPKINSVILLE, KY
UNIVERSITY HEIGHTS

No way Cal signs a 6'1 combo guard unless he is a very good point guard first and foremost.

No doubt. That Hollingsworth kid from Lexington, now doing so well at WKU, absolutely would've helped us. Why Cal didn't recruit him, and instead chose just to leave two scholarships empty and unused, makes no sense to me.
Hollingsworth scored 30 last night!

Reactions: chevyman 50
No doubt. That Hollingsworth kid from Lexington, now doing so well at WKU, absolutely would've helped us. Why Cal didn't recruit him, and instead chose just to leave two scholarships empty and unused, is baffling to me.

Cal Recruited him. Cal asked him to wait. he wasn't willing to wait... He committed in the fall of 16. Not much cal could do about that. To have taken a commitment from him at that point would have been very irresponsible.

Reactions: GonzoCat90
Forget useless terms like long, fast, athletic, vertical jump. This is not track. Can he play basketball? Looks like can. If Tennessee, Oklahoma, and Florida have offered, then why not UK?
Positionless basketball, switching 1-5 on defense. Cal has always seemed to value size over basketball skill. We have a team full of size this year but very little fundamentals or skill.

Last edited:
Cal Recruited him. Cal asked him to wait. he wasn't willing to wait... He committed in the fall of 16. Not much cal could do about that. To have taken a commitment from him at that point would have been very irresponsible.

I don't know if that's true or not. But I do know Hollingsworth never got a UK offer. And I know Cal then ended up leaving two extra scholarships unused.

That suggests it would NOT have been "very irresponsible" to offer sooner. It's not like Cal had to search for a way to squeeze him in. Instead, we ended up with more schollies available than Cal could find players to take. So why a need to "wait"?

Last edited:
Hollingsworth would have been a good player for the cats he can shoot 3 s and hit FT s and can handle the ball, I can remember alot of Ky kids that did play at Ky did good just going back to last yr with Hawk and Willis..

I don't know if that's true or not. But I do know Hollingsworth never got a UK offer. And I know Cal then ended up leaving two extra scholarships unused.

That suggests it would NOT have been "very irresponsible" to offer sooner. It's not like Cal had to search for a way to squeeze him in. Instead, we ended up with more schollies available than Cal could find players to take. So why a need to "wait"?

You have the luxury of hindsight. But at the time we were in on even better prospects. In hindsight, if Hollingsworth had waited he would have made it to uk. Who made the mistake?

Reactions: brianpoe
Hollingsworth would have been a good player for the cats he can shoot 3 s and hit FT s and can handle the ball, I can remember alot of Ky kids that did play at Ky did good just going back to last yr with Hawk and Willis..

Hollingsworth's also the guy that led Ky to that first win over the Indiana boys in what seemed like forever in the Ky/In All Star series ...finally ending that embarrassing losing streak. The kid totally balled out in that game.

Hollingsworth is a player. He'll have a fantastic career at WKU. And may be destined to become one of those Lofton/Mack type situations where for years UK fans are asking "Why the hell didn't UK offer that stud sitting right there in Lexington" ...especially since we ended up with two extra scholarships we didn't even use that year.

Last edited:
Then he's too darned good a scorer for us to offer.

I would love to have him but he might not love to sit on the bench for four years behind some five star brick layer.

That is troubling knowing if a 5 star is here and you are better than him as a 3 star you sit.

I am not sure Cal will ever get another Kentucky player. There are a lot of people in the state who feel that Hawkins and Wills were treated very poorly. In fact, one recruit said that he wouldn't go to UK to be another Dom. It is a players first program but not all players get that treatment. If you are not expected to go early in the first round in a year you are behind the 8 ball.

I am not sure Cal will ever get another Kentucky player. There are a lot of people in the state who feel that Hawkins and Wills were treated very poorly. In fact, one recruit said that he wouldn't go to UK to be another Dom. It is a players first program but not all players get that treatment. If you are not expected to go early in the first round in a year you are behind the 8 ball.
I believed they deserved more playing time than they got.

ADVERTISEMENT