ADVERTISEMENT

Impact of Satterfield on UK Football:

Oct 14, 2012
Watched and read about him recently, and he is impressive. Good guy on top of that. Players coach, unlike the recent sociopath they had at the helm. They've cleaned house there pretty well at this point.

In my opinion Coach Stoops work most likely just got harder. Satterfield is smart and personable. He's already invited the local high school football coaches to practices - opening things up. That will develop goodwill in the community. It is my guess that recruiting in Louisville just got a whole lot tougher, as well as in the state. He also mentioned Ohio, so I'm sure Stoops will be seeing much more of them on the recruiting trail. I also can see him focusing on the Carolinas a bunch, whereas we don't even look at North Carolina....but maybe we should?

As a coach, he's proven himself he has an excellent grasp on both sides of the ball. He's an O guy, but his App State defenses have been impressive and put them in position to win games against power 5 schools, even though he did not have power 5 talent. That is the sign of a solid coach.

My guess is they will grow into a formidable foe in the near future. With a few classes under his belt, I think he'll make some noise, if not earlier. Kats won't have that cupcake for much longer, maybe one more dominant game....maybe not?

Not a UL fan, but glad to see them get a good person as their coach. It's been such a cess pool over there, it is better for everyone involved, including UK, if they have a good reputation. They are an urban school, so UK's appeal is different, and our SEC affiliation is dominant to the ACC in football, so we should continue to progress forward, but it's my guess recruiting in the Commonwealth just got a tad tougher.

While I agree with your assessment on Satterfield, I am not happy at all that they have him. I want U6 down, and I want UK to kick them when they are down, as hard and as often as possible. Having a good coach will make it much more difficult to do so.
I agree with you. We are just going to have to step up on our end with our coaching, scheme, clock/game management, etc. A great QB will cure many of these ills.

It's gonna take a while for him to get things turned around, this years recruiting class is going to be rough. Won't really see what he can do recruiting wise till next year. I think they'll have another 2-10 season next year before seeing improvement in year 2.

He's being given too much credit. U6's program is a complete dumpster fire right now. It will take him 3-4 years minimum to get it turned around, maybe longer. He's new to the scene in KY, Stoops and Marrow already have a leg up on him here. He's not doing shit in Ohio, that's Stoops and Marrow's stomping grounds.

It's gonna take a while for him to get things turned around, this years recruiting class is going to be rough. Won't really see what he can do recruiting wise till next year. I think they'll have another 2-10 season next year before seeing improvement in year 2.

Agreed.

They were really bad this yr......and will likely be almost as bad next yr. The recruiting will take a sizeable hit this class. So, although I think Satterfield is a good coach, it's gonna take some time to get things up and running. It is possible that he could be fired before he even gets things going......and that's not indicative of his coaching prowess.

Agreed.

They were really bad this yr......and will likely be almost as bad next yr. The recruiting will take a sizeable hit this class. So, although I think Satterfield is a good coach, it's gonna take some time to get things up and running. It is possible that he could be fired before he even gets things going......and that's not indicative of his coaching prowess.
I actually need to revise my post because I said you'll see improvement in year 2, but I think you won't see much of anything until year 3. All he'll do for this signing class is add a bunch of low 3 stars and 2 stars to fill out the class, which won't do anything to add to that team within a year given the current roster.

Reactions: BlueRaider22
Watched and read about him recently, and he is impressive. Good guy on top of that. Players coach, unlike the recent sociopath they had at the helm. They've cleaned house there pretty well at this point.

In my opinion Coach Stoops work most likely just got harder. Satterfield is smart and personable. He's already invited the local high school football coaches to practices - opening things up. That will develop goodwill in the community. It is my guess that recruiting in Louisville just got a whole lot tougher, as well as in the state. He also mentioned Ohio, so I'm sure Stoops will be seeing much more of them on the recruiting trail. I also can see him focusing on the Carolinas a bunch, whereas we don't even look at North Carolina....but maybe we should?

As a coach, he's proven himself he has an excellent grasp on both sides of the ball. He's an O guy, but his App State defenses have been impressive and put them in position to win games against power 5 schools, even though he did not have power 5 talent. That is the sign of a solid coach.

My guess is they will grow into a formidable foe in the near future. With a few classes under his belt, I think he'll make some noise, if not earlier. Kats won't have that cupcake for much longer, maybe one more dominant game....maybe not?

Not a UL fan, but glad to see them get a good person as their coach. It's been such a cess pool over there, it is better for everyone involved, including UK, if they have a good reputation. They are an urban school, so UK's appeal is different, and our SEC affiliation is dominant to the ACC in football, so we should continue to progress forward, but it's my guess recruiting in the Commonwealth just got a tad tougher.

We’re doomed. :)

I actually need to revise my post because I said you'll see improvement in year 2, but I think you won't see much of anything until year 3. All he'll do for this signing class is add a bunch of low 3 stars and 2 stars to fill out the class, which won't do anything to add to that team within a year given the current roster.
I'm not crazy about Louisville 'healing'....but let's take a hard look....
They gave up. This coach won't tolerate that.
I agree he will get low three stars and two stars....exactly what he used at Appy State to make a hard nosed football program that backed down from nobody. Get past Clemson and he ain't facing a murderers row in the ACC.
IMPROVED next year. Winning season year two. Then I'm afraid the pep in the UofL step will be bad as ever.

“Thanks mom!” - Scott Satterfield

It will be questionable if he is there long enough to turn it around. The natives will get restless if he takes too long to get back on the collision course with a national championship. Especially if he loses a few in a row to UK.

It will be easier to succeed there because their schedule is so much easier. Won’t take as long.

It will be questionable if he is there long enough to turn it around. The natives will get restless if he takes too long to get back on the collision course with a national championship. Especially if he loses a few in a row to UK.

Or when he recruits head to head with Purdue. :flushed:

They will be better than 2-10 next year.

Reactions: homeytheclown
I disagree with this I think Louisville will win 7games Petrino had totally mailed everything in so even a mildly competent coach will at least win 4 or 5

I disagree with this I think Louisville will win 7games Petrino had totally mailed everything in so even a mildly competent coach will at least win 4 or 5
Agree to disagree, they made a good hire but it's going to take a while to show. I could see 7 wins by maybe year 3, but not year 1. I have them at 2-10.

Reactions: homeytheclown
Some people are really overvaluing this guy. Sure he has done some good things, but App State wasn't chopped liver before his arrival. He inherited a pretty good foundation, taking over for a coach that took an FCS team into Ann Arbor and winning in the big house. I continue to think, if he was as good as U6 fan's are saying, why didn't one of the Carolina schools hire him? NC State, Wake Forest, UNC, etc have all had openings recently and have looked over him. Acting like he's the second coming of Urban Meyer is silly, when he could more realistically be a second coming of Kragthorpe or John L. Look at the shambles Arkansas is still trying to dig themselves out of, and that's after a guy who won the Big Ten and Rose Bowl took over from Bobby.

There is way more talent there then we give them credit for. Whatever happened with Petrino only God knows, but he certainly lost that team very early. They need a solid QB and it looks like they may get the top JUCO QB. If so, i can certainly see 7 wins.

Got harder? Stoops coaches in the SEC, U6's guy isn't making that harder. If anything that makes your coach's job harder. He's never coached or recruited in P5 and UNC/Ga Tech passed on him for a reason.

As for U6, it'll take them 3 years to be ordinary.

Reactions: Samurai Cat
I think we are fine in the city of Louisville. They may be heading for another 2 win season...and it may be 2021 before they even are able to field a competitive team.

On the other hand...the talent we have is setup to win games the next 3-4 years and make bowl games. We also have guys winning awards and getting drafted.

Satterfield is not from this area...he had recruiting classes ranked #9 or so in the CUSA. I'll take Marrow any day. We've also built a strong roster without "owning" the city of Louisville...but if we start winning and they take time to rebuild...our brand in that city will be better.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
I don't know that they will be 2-10 again next year, but I don't see them bowling for a couple of years. If they do it will be because they snuck out six wins. I think the new coach will have the team playing better, not the flat out quit they showed this year, so I think they will win a couple more than they did this year. but we are still going to curb stomp them at Kroger Field to close out another successful season on our part.

Reactions: BlueRupp
Said it from the beginning - he was a better hire than Brohm.

Don't think he will impact recruiting much for the next year or so. But his concerted effort locally will make Louisville talent much harder for UK.

Also he will probably have them competitive faster than Brohm.

Best thing we can do is completely dominate them next two seasons, which we should do. That will really damage his progress enough where it never really gains traction

Interesting 6th post since 2012 tard fan.

SS was a good solid hire.

If UL gives him time I think he can get them to and keep them in 8 win neighborhood.

Agreed.

Write this down: They will be better THIS coming season. They were in total turmoil this season. His approach and past performance indicates he'll get them playing for each other = major improvement in effort = improved play.

Interesting 6th post since 2012 tard fan.
Newsflash: Number of posts has ZERO correlation to football knowledge. Hell, you don't even get coupons for posting numbers, so do you have a point....and by the way, 84Alumni is for UK alumni. One that lives in reality, not the land of Blue Koolaid.

Reactions: MountainParkway
There is way more talent there then we give them credit for. Whatever happened with Petrino only God knows, but he certainly lost that team very early. They need a solid QB and it looks like they may get the top JUCO QB. If so, i can certainly see 7 wins.

[roll]

Some people are really overvaluing this guy. Sure he has done some good things, but App State wasn't chopped liver before his arrival. He inherited a pretty good foundation, taking over for a coach that took an FCS team into Ann Arbor and winning in the big house. I continue to think, if he was as good as U6 fan's are saying, why didn't one of the Carolina schools hire him? NC State, Wake Forest, UNC, etc have all had openings recently and have looked over him. Acting like he's the second coming of Urban Meyer is silly, when he could more realistically be a second coming of Kragthorpe or John L. Look at the shambles Arkansas is still trying to dig themselves out of, and that's after a guy who won the Big Ten and Rose Bowl took over from Bobby.

??? I think you missed that 3 BY A MILE, lol. MILLS FOR THREE..... CLANG!

He didn't contact an agent to put his name out until recently, lol.
NC State hasn't been looking for a coach since when, lol.
Wake Forest since when, lol.
UNC, since a month ago, lol.
Your swiss cheese of an argument is duly noted, and discarded.
Welcome to the IGNORE list.

Last edited:
Said it from the beginning - he was a better hire than Brohm.

Don't think he will impact recruiting much for the next year or so. But his concerted effort locally will make Louisville talent much harder for UK.

Also he will probably have them competitive faster than Brohm.

Best thing we can do is completely dominate them next two seasons, which we should do. That will really damage his progress enough where it never really gains traction

You could be correct. Will be interesting to see how it plays out this upcoming season. He'll be short-handed, so coaching ability is really going to show.

I don't see us dominating them next year like we did this season. They really were quitting on the scum bag at the end. My guess is they won't be quitting in 2019, based on what he achieved at App State. They have some talent here and there. Just a matter how the new recruits come in and play, filling in the holes. They'll make plenty of mistakes, but then again, by game 12, they won't be frosh anymore.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity

UL has one thing going for them, the ACC sucks. They improve at all and they will be competitive immediately with Wake, Syracuse, BC, NC st, Virginia etc.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
Newsflash: Number of posts has ZERO correlation to football knowledge. Hell, you don't even get coupons for posting numbers, so do you have a point....and by the way, 84Alumni is for UK alumni. One that lives in reality, not the land of Blue Koolaid.

No way in hell a UK grad or fan would get this upset defending ul..... .sorry but I don't care what you say, you are obviously a ul fan and lying to us.

No way someone who sincerely likes UK gets bent defending ul. Just not reality dude.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT