ADVERTISEMENT

IMO all 3 return

Wildcats1st

All-American
Sep 16, 2017
im not going to do some stupid play on Vanderbilt’s name to get people to open and like. I’m just going to simply state after reading the article on espn about the combine process my gut says all 3 return. I don’t think an nba team takes Vanderbilt without a thourough physical and by skipping the combine he’s skipping out on this process. At the same time though I’m not sold that he will play next year. He may take a year to heal fully then play the following year in college. It’s just hard to say bc foot and ankle injuries with surgery can take sometimes a year or more to fully recover.

Washington, well he isn’t going anywhere. Since the top 40 participate in 5v5 games I think Washington will be left out and will end up doing shooting drills instead through out the combine. If no one is projecting him now, this week isn’t going to change things.

Gabriel, people say all three can’t come back. At least most people. The problem for all of them is where will they go?? Gabriel has very little options and with Vanderbilt in limbo about surgery, recovery time and all that I see Gabriel coming back. Even if Vanderbilt became healthy prior to the season wenyen will get lots of minutes no matter what. He would play a Darius miller type role and would be a 6th man to infuse energy where needed as well as be the leader of the team.

If any of these guy decide not to comeback they will seriously put their potential nba careers in jeopardy because none of them are getting guarantees. A few days ago to believed Vanderbilt might get a guarantee but now by skipping the combine and physicals I think it’s off the table. I guess though a team could bring him in to their dr and have him evaluated but he window is closing fast. My guy says they all announce together that they will be back and college basketball will hate it.

Article I mentioned
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23515689/2018-nba-draft-combine-help-hurt-their-stock-most

Good solid reasoning, OP, but will they all follow it? Gabriel could head overseas and/or all 3 could decide playing in G League for decent cash might improve their long term chances better than college. We just don't know what they or their families are thinking and whether they will make what we feel is the most rational decision. Time will tell very soon. I sure hope you're right right, both for the kids and UK.

IMO 2 of three stay with JV definetly staying . If PJ stays WG leaves , if PJ leaves WG stays. It doesn't make much sense for WG to come back when he will be the 5th best big on the team if you include KJ in the bigs which I do since he will play PF alot due to the 3 guard line up we will run . So regardless we are set and loaded. With PJ instead WG we are better but I am good with either as EJ , KJ and JV ( if he is healthy ) are all top 20 picks in the 19 draft .

Reactions: MbergCat
im not going to do some stupid play on Vanderbilt’s name to get people to open and like. I’m just going to simply state after reading the article on espn about the combine process my gut says all 3 return. I don’t think an nba team takes Vanderbilt without a thourough physical and by skipping the combine he’s skipping out on this process. At the same time though I’m not sold that he will play next year. He may take a year to heal fully then play the following year in college. It’s just hard to say bc foot and ankle injuries with surgery can take sometimes a year or more to fully recover.

Washington, well he isn’t going anywhere. Since the top 40 participate in 5v5 games I think Washington will be left out and will end up doing shooting drills instead through out the combine. If no one is projecting him now, this week isn’t going to change things.

Gabriel, people say all three can’t come back. At least most people. The problem for all of them is where will they go?? Gabriel has very little options and with Vanderbilt in limbo about surgery, recovery time and all that I see Gabriel coming back. Even if Vanderbilt became healthy prior to the season wenyen will get lots of minutes no matter what. He would play a Darius miller type role and would be a 6th man to infuse energy where needed as well as be the leader of the team.

If any of these guy decide not to comeback they will seriously put their potential nba careers in jeopardy because none of them are getting guarantees. A few days ago to believed Vanderbilt might get a guarantee but now by skipping the combine and physicals I think it’s off the table. I guess though a team could bring him in to their dr and have him evaluated but he window is closing fast. My guy says they all announce together that they will be back and college basketball will hate it.

Article I mentioned
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23515689/2018-nba-draft-combine-help-hurt-their-stock-most
I hope you are right brother.

Crazy thing is at the beginning I thought PJ would come back and was unsure about JV. Seems to be the other way around now

Just a wild guess obviously, but I do not think Vanderbilt returns. My reasoning is this; if he was going to return, why not announce that instead of just announcing that he is not going to the combine this close to the decision date? I feel that omission means he is looking for somewhere else to go. I hope I am wrong though.

doesnt make much sense for all 3 to return. cant see someone coming back knowing they are going to be the odd man out with getting minutes. its going to come down to who blinks first.

Gabriel will give us a reliable 3 pt threat for out bigs. We saw after the SEC Tournament that they started calling plays for him. He increases his lateral speed, cuts down on TO, plays more positional D and quits biting on the shot fakes...he can play into lower second round. He needs to bring it of the time..pull down boards and hit 3's

Reactions: BassProCat
doesnt make much sense for all 3 to return. cant see someone coming back knowing they are going to be the odd man out with getting minutes. its going to come down to who blinks first.

If Washington and Vanderbilt come back, Gabriel is out 100% of the time imo (as long as Can is healthy). I can't see Washington or Vanderbilt being scared to retuen because of Gabriel.

Good solid reasoning, OP, but will they all follow it? Gabriel could head overseas and/or all 3 could decide playing in G League for decent cash might improve their long term chances better than college. We just don't know what they or their families are thinking and whether they will make what we feel is the most rational decision. Time will tell very soon. I sure hope you're right right, both for the kids and UK.

I don’t think the gleague “is decent” cash without some sort of promise or guarantee of big money. Also it makes no sense that one decision relies on another. They will all log big minutes next year regardless so I think that line of thought is flawed. We have an idea of what the families are thinking bc all have basically said leaving without a guarantee is not likely to happen. This narrative of “2 of 3 return” really isn’t based on anything. If PJ is the only combine participant the other two will be making decisions quick. I have no idea where wenyen would go and make good money. Vanderbilt maybe with a team rolling the dice but PJ?? I just don’t see it I think they all come back. Each play a different game and like I said Vanderbilt’s recovery time from surgery could be quite long.

Vando will be healthy before the season and have some preseason under his belt. He will be a superstar on our team and a candidate for NPOY IMO, No way is he going to prolong this process for so long that he won't be ready for the season to work his way up the draft boards. Which can only happen by playing a full healthy season. Washington? Well, as much as he SHOULD return, I feel like even though it may make him guaranteed millions as apposed to looking at 35k a year, i get this feeling that guaranteed millions isn't worth another year in college for him.

It appears another year at UK is an agonizing thought for PJ, as his dad has come off as very irrational when speaking for his son on the draft process. He backed off the first round statement he made because he knows that's a pipe dream, and IMO if a team tells them that they might be willing to pick him 60th depending on what's available, then that's enough for him pass up on the millions he's looking at next season. Gabriel I think is gone just because he wants to move on to the next chapter IMO. Vando stays and we get Reid is the scenario that plays out IMO.

IMO 2 of three stay with JV definetly staying . If PJ stays WG leaves , if PJ leaves WG stays. It doesn't make much sense for WG to come back when he will be the 5th best big on the team if you include KJ in the bigs which I do since he will play PF alot due to the 3 guard line up we will run . So regardless we are set and loaded. With PJ instead WG we are better but I am good with either as EJ , KJ and JV ( if he is healthy ) are all top 20 picks in the 19 draft .
I'm not understanding why he can't stay and graduate. That's still a thing right?
Also he will get plenty PT

Reactions: STL_Cat
I think PJ is gone, Im sure he can get a late 2nd pick. JV not sure and same for Gabriel. For Gabriel, we need some alumni to get someone in family a good paying job so he stays. We know this happens everywhere else.

So we're back to thinking you need tons of minutes to go pro? How about returning and working on your game while being excited that the team is so stacked you need to pass the ball and win a ship? Then going the same spot in the draft you would have while playing 40 minutes. Wow, you would be a winner too!

Oh I know, blow your career for quick cash and buy Uncle T a new Porche. Figure the rest out later. How silly of me to forget 2018.

Last edited:
So we're back to thinking you need tons of minutes to go pro? How about returning and working on your game while being excited that the team is so stacked you need to pass the ball and win a ship? Then going the same spot in the draft you would have while playing 40 minutes. Wow, you would be a winner too!

Oh I know, blow your career for quick cash and buy Uncle T a new Porshe. Figure the rest out later. How silly of me to forget 2018.

Morbluntsky...np...

I have felt for a while that we will get all 3 back but if we lose one it will be Washington. I hope we get all 3 back and make a run for a title.

Reactions: FrankUnderwood

Article I mentioned
If they all come back, and not saying they will, but there will be plenty of meaningful minutes for everybody . . . GBB

Honestly you have never been right,on any of your predictions, friendly advice son you are making yourself look foolish

Reactions: morgousky
I’m totally with you.

BTW, I think you’re one of the better, most logical posters on here. One of the few true UK fans that still post on here.

I like the fact that you don’t ever apologize for rooting for the program and not for the NBA.
I am what I am. I am a UK first and foremost. I like Cal, but I am never a coach fan, they come and go, UK is the constant in my life.

I really like most things about Cal, but the one big negative is his not convincing these guys they need more time. I honestly don’t think he wants them here more than one year. It interferes with the way he wants to recruit, if guys come back.

Let the bashing begin, I am ready.

I am what I am. I am a UK first and foremost. I like Cal, but I am never a coach fan, they come and go, UK is the constant in my life.

I really like most things about Cal, but the one big negative is his not convincing these guys they need more time. I honestly don’t think he wants them here more than one year. It interferes with the way he wants to recruit, if guys come back.

Let the bashing begin, I am ready.
I’m totally with you Sir.

Reactions: crpoore and KFuqua
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT