ADVERTISEMENT

I'm Still with Stoops - Beat UL

Obviously outmatched today by one of the best teams in the country.

I still like what Stoops is building.

Bottom line, we beat UL and we end up 8-4 and I'll take that as another step in the building process.

See UF's coach.....see Arkansas' coach....see UT's coach.....

Mark Stoops has made some bad in-game calls, but he is still taking us in the right direction.

A win over UL puts a stamp on a successful season and we continue to recruit better and build.
Not bad. Agreed.

I'm with Stoops because he has brought a level of stability to the program, and with his contract, there's really no practical alternative. The SEC is historically bad due to poor coaching hires elsewhere. I am concerned that the program has plateaued, but next year with a more difficult schedule should provide better perspective. On another note, 7 wins shouldn't be used as a measuring stick. It should be 6 wins since there has been a 12 game schedule only since 2006.

I'm with Stoops because he has brought a level of stability to the program, and with his contract, there's really no practical alternative. The SEC is historically bad due to poor coaching hires elsewhere. I am concerned that the program has plateaued, but next year with a more difficult schedule should provide better perspective. On another note, 7 wins shouldn't be used as a measuring stick. It should be 6 wins since there has been a 12 game schedule only since 2006.

:flushed: ?

Reactions: sluggercatfan
Agree, I don't know why our fan base doesn't enjoy the ride.

Since Bear Bryant left (1953, 64 seasons) ...
UK has won 7 or more games 12 times. 12 out of 64. 52 seasons with less than 7 wins.

Back-to-back, consecutive 7-win seasons has happened THREE times in 64 seasons:
1976-77 (Curci)
2006-09 (Brooks)
2016-17 (Stoops)

A 12th game was added to the schedule just a little over a decade ago. You would have to go back to how many times we have won 6 games in consecutive seasons to really compare it. We also dropped P-5 Indiana (.500 against them) from the schedule and added another EKU type team which adds another automatic win.

Claiborne and Mumme both would of had consecutive 7+ win seasons with today's schedules and the added cupcake game.

We are the only team in the conference without a 9 win season or winning league record since the 12th game was added. We have witnessed some bad football over the years.

Good post No Def .. This years " improvement " is mainly scheduling . Nothing more , Nothing Less . And I hadn't considered adding that extra game ( cupcake). is a gift to people who schedule down for an extra win. Guess the pumpers dont like hearing that angle.

UK’s defense has 4 Seniors in the 2 deep and 6 total in the 2 deep on offense. Over the next couple of years we should see significant improvement and depth.

Reactions: UKWinsAgainYep
Start chewing. We beat a better team in South Carolina at their joint.
yes we did and it looks as if they may get our Outback Bowl bid. If Clemson beats them bad and we beat UL I wonder if we can knock them out of it. Probably not since they are 5-3 in the SEC.

Another thing about South Carolina. Look at their schedule. It is no better than ours in the SEC. They played Texas A&M and Arkansas in the West. I would rather have that than our Mississippi schools this year. The difference is they beat Florida. Had we beaten Florida we may be Outback Bound.

The difference is they beat Florida.

Well, take away their pounding of Arky at home, and I think we'd be tied, with a head-to-head win. Or give us Arky at home, instead of Ole Miss, etc.

Had we had UF at home, late, we would have pounded them.

Reactions: Sawnee Cat
Well, take away their pounding of Arky at home, and I think we'd be tied, with a head-to-head win. Or give us Arky at home, instead of Ole Miss, etc.

Had we had UF at home, late, we would have pounded them.
Oh what I would give for a November Florida game this year. Dang what bad luck we have

Start chewing. We beat a better team in South Carolina at their joint.

That was the one time this year I was seriously impressed with our team. We haven't looked like that since then. I don't know where that went.

I have the oven prepped as always. Luckily I also have enough bourbon if the game doesn't go our way.

I'm back and forth but overall I think you can't ignore the fact that things have improved each season. One thing that concerns me this year is the defense seems to have regressed as the season goes on. Is that because of our second half schedule, is it injuries, is it judt my imagination? Anyone else agree with that? And that isnt a reactionary thought to yesterday....defense was going to get torched and they did OK the first half.

It seems like a pattern under Stoops every year that our Defense is seriously beat up and fatigued the last half of the season. I guess we still don't have the depth needed to play with the big boys. Last season, near the end, I remember our Defense looking exactly like this season: beat up, tired, missing tackles, etc.

They looked way better to me during the first half of the season. I really believe our Defense has more talent than I've seen the past 20 years, but we have to build more depth.

Reactions: CB3UK
Obviously outmatched today by one of the best teams in the country.

I still like what Stoops is building.

Bottom line, we beat UL and we end up 8-4 and I'll take that as another step in the building process.

See UF's coach.....see Arkansas' coach....see UT's coach.....

Mark Stoops has made some bad in-game calls, but he is still taking us in the right direction.

A win over UL puts a stamp on a successful season and we continue to recruit better and build.
Both Fla and UT coach had combined 1 loss against MS..whoopee

A 12th game was added to the schedule just a little over a decade ago. You would have to go back to how many times we have won 6 games in consecutive seasons to really compare it. We also dropped P-5 Indiana (.500 against them) from the schedule and added another EKU type team which adds another automatic win.

Claiborne and Mumme both would of had consecutive 7+ win seasons with today's schedules and the added cupcake game.

We are the only team in the conference without a 9 win season or winning league record since the 12th game was added. We have witnessed some bad football over the years.
Ok ... since 1953, UK has 6 or more games in a season 21 times. 21 out of 64. 43 times we've won less than 6 games.

Consecutive 6+ win seasons ....
3 - 1954-56 (Collier)
2 - 1976-77 (Curci)
2 - 1983-84 (Claiborne)
2 - 1998-99 (Mumme)
5 - 2006-09 (Brooks) and 2010 (Phillips)
2 - 2016-17 (Stoops)

Even with lowering the bar, we're at a point of doing something we do once a decade. My point is still, enjoy the ride. There's plenty to argue about, plenty to second guess, plenty to disagree with, but the fact is this only happens to us once/decade.
Crawl, walk, run ... IMO we're walking. Over the next 2-3 years, I hope we start running!

ADVERTISEMENT