ADVERTISEMENT

I'm Still with Stoops - Beat UL

Nov 11, 2014
Obviously outmatched today by one of the best teams in the country.

I still like what Stoops is building.

Bottom line, we beat UL and we end up 8-4 and I'll take that as another step in the building process.

See UF's coach.....see Arkansas' coach....see UT's coach.....

Mark Stoops has made some bad in-game calls, but he is still taking us in the right direction.

A win over UL puts a stamp on a successful season and we continue to recruit better and build.

Obviously outmatched today by one of the best teams in the country.

I still like what Stoops is building.

Bottom line, we beat UL and we end up 8-4 and I'll take that as another step in the building process.

See UF's coach.....see Arkansas' coach....see UT's coach.....

Mark Stoops has made some bad in-game calls, but he is still taking us in the right direction.

A win over UL puts a stamp on a successful season and we continue to recruit better and build.
What is he building? Def not a defense worthy of a power 5 team. It's been five years of good recruiting we should competitive. Joker had better defenses than this.

What is he building? Def not a defense worthy of a power 5 team. It's been five years of good recruiting we should competitive. Joker had better defenses than this.
My god, 5 years ago we were getting killed to Vandy in a empty stadium. We already have back to back 7 win seasons and have a chance for 8 against a bad Uofl team. Yes we aren’t perfect, yes we don’t have the talent that Bama has, yes our coaches make mistakes. But your ignorant and delusional if you still don’t think he is building something.

My god, 5 years ago we were getting killed to Vandy in a empty stadium. We already have back to back 7 win seasons and have a chance for 8 against a bad Uofl team. Yes we aren’t perfect, yes we don’t have the talent that Bama has, yes our coaches make mistakes. But your ignorant and delusional if you still don’t think he is building something.
Great post, be ready to hear ignorant remarks though

Not being by far the worst team in the conference is an absurdly low bar. Of course we're better than we were under Joker. Being better than we were under Joker doesn't mean we're a good program or moving in the right direction.

Reactions: bigblue_07
Not being by far the worst team in the conference is an absurdly low bar. Of course we're better than we were under Joker. Being better than we were under Joker doesn't mean we're a good program or moving in the right direction.

Yes it does.....We are better.

Being 8-4 after UL says you're wrong too.

I’m sorry if you can’t realize we are going in the right direction. I’m pretty sure we were winning 2 games 5 years ago and 4 years later we are going to 2 strait bowl games, if that isn’t improvment idk what is.

Reactions: UKWinsAgainYep
Not just Joker, how many seasons have UK in their history won back to back 7 win seasons. I am too lazy to look it up, but I bet it isn't going to be many. Sometimes our fans act like we are Alabama

Reactions: UKWinsAgainYep
We stuck with him so I got to stay with him. If UL puts a beating on us which is highly likely it really going to be hard though.

Reactions: sluggercatfan
I don't understand how any fan on here doesn't think Coach Stoops isn't building a better team then what we had when Joker was the HC. I have been one of the fans who has criticized him a lot. I criticized him, not for his recruits, but for micro managing, instead of letting his OC call the plays. He has made more mistakes in his game calling then any coach I have ever seen. With that being said, I still want him here for at least two more years, or longer if he can improve on his being a HC. He just needs to realize the game has changed from when he played. He still has the Woody Hayes attitude, that three things can happen with a pass, and two of them are bad.
Today, when we were down 42-13, he was still running the ball, instead of passing it. I thought it would have been good to give Barker some time, and not take a chance on getting SJ hurt. I think next year will be a breakout year for Coach Stoops. I know about a Freshman QB, but I believe Georgia had one today.

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!

I’m sorry if you can’t realize we are going in the right direction. I’m pretty sure we were winning 2 games 5 years ago and 4 years later we are going to 2 strait bowl games, if that isn’t improvment idk what is.

This team doesn't have a direction. They've been the same for four years. Good enough to beat FCS teams and mid majors like WKU or Southern Miss (usually). Good enough that they aren't clearly the worst team in the conference. Not good enough to win against P5 teams with a winning record (like 3-20 in that time frame). Bad enough to cough up double digit second half home leads against a Florida team that fired their coach and an Ole Miss team without their coach, quarterback, or anything to play for.

This team isn't moving in a direction for the last four years. The only improvement is because the rest of the SEC East has become a tire fire. If Florida or Tennessee wake back up we'll be lucky to win seven games again without serious improvement.

Not just Joker, how many seasons have UK in their history won back to back 7 win seasons. I am too lazy to look it up, but I bet it isn't going to be many. Sometimes our fans act like we are Alabama
Agree, I don't know why our fan base doesn't enjoy the ride.

Since Bear Bryant left (1953, 64 seasons) ...
UK has won 7 or more games 12 times. 12 out of 64. 52 seasons with less than 7 wins.

Back-to-back, consecutive 7-win seasons has happened THREE times in 64 seasons:
1976-77 (Curci)
2006-09 (Brooks)
2016-17 (Stoops)

Im not with. After 60 years as a die hard fan, not with this guy. $150,000,000.00 in facility improvements and this is what we get???? Geez can still see those restrooms at Stoll Field and we had better football then

Agree, I don't know why our fan base doesn't enjoy the ride.

Since Bear Bryant left (1953, 64 seasons) ...
UK has won 7 or more games 12 times. 12 out of 64. 52 seasons with less than 7 wins.

Back-to-back, consecutive 7-win seasons has happened THREE times in 64 seasons:
1976-77 (Curci)
2006-09 (Brooks)
2016-17 (Stoops)
76-77 team cheated so put an asterisk by that 1. So legitimately it has been done 1 time other than Stoops wow!

Reactions: Lost In FL
76-77 team cheated so put an asterisk by that 1. So legitimately it has been done 1 time other than Stoops wow!
good point. didn't think about it like that.

only twice we've had consecutive (non-asterisked) 7-win seasons since Bear left. This season is one of those.

We must contain Lamar Jackson. I doubt he fumbles or has miscues this time around. He will be focused. We can win the game, though. No question.

Reactions: StevieJFTW07
I don't understand how any fan on here doesn't think Coach Stoops isn't building a better team then what we had when Joker was the HC. I have been one of the fans who has criticized him a lot. I criticized him, not for his recruits, but for micro managing, instead of letting his OC call the plays. He has made more mistakes in his game calling then any coach I have ever seen. With that being said, I still want him here for at least two more years, or longer if he can improve on his being a HC. He just needs to realize the game has changed from when he played. He still has the Woody Hayes attitude, that three things can happen with a pass, and two of them are bad.
Today, when we were down 42-13, he was still running the ball, instead of passing it. I thought it would have been good to give Barker some time, and not take a chance on getting SJ hurt. I think next year will be a breakout year for Coach Stoops. I know about a Freshman QB, but I believe Georgia had one today.

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!
To me it isn't that he is doing a better job, but the fact that as long as he is here with his offensive mindset we won't do any better.

Reactions: R.O.T.Muckinfush
The Florida loss is inexcusable. If Auburn lost to 'Bama because of 2 uncovered receivers the coach would be canned the next day. It was especially egregious because we lost to Vandy the exact same way. But because Barney hired him, he has a job for life. Or until the fans actually stage another revolt. Maybe we'll be lucky and the NFL will hire Barney away. After all, they have some major player conduct issues that need to be cleaned up. Bobby Knight said it best, "If you're gonna be raped, might as well lay back and enjoy it."

The Florida loss is inexcusable. If Auburn lost to 'Bama because of 2 uncovered receivers the coach would be canned the next day. It was especially egregious because we lost to Vandy the exact same way. But because Barney hired him, he has a job for life. Or until the fans actually stage another revolt. Maybe we'll be lucky and the NFL will hire Barney away. After all, they have some major player conduct issues that need to be cleaned up. Bobby Knight said it best, "If you're gonna be raped, might as well lay back and enjoy it."
Bobby Knight made a fool out of himself with that ridiculous quote. I detest SJW/PC as much as anyone, but please. Knight is an idiot and I can't believe that you would favorably quote that nonsense.

Reactions: screwduke1
I'm content, for now, with a potential 8-win or even 9-win season. And yep, it's nice to make consecutive bowl games - that is extremely rare. BUT:

1) We folded in the second half against the only two power teams we faced (UGA and MSU).

2) Blew games against UF and Ole Miss. Made silly mistakes along the way in those.

3) Also let cupcake teams hang around and almost beat us.

The fact that we have been so bad for so many decades, and aren't that bad anymore, doesn't automatically mean we're amazing now. It just means we are a little above average (and precisely average in the SEC in 4-4). Which is a good first step. Those of us who are critical don't think we suck...we're just frustrated with the things we see that really need to be fixed. We want to get to a freaking 5-3 SEC record once in a lifetime. Or be ranked once or twice a decade, instead of choking whenever we're close.

As others have said, though, the discussion is largely irrelevant. If Stoops literally goes 6-6 or better every regular season I think he could spend his entire head coaching career here if he wants. Our standards are really low. So, whether he impresses/surprises us all and continues to improve the team to the point that we actually contend for the division title, or completely stagnates and never does that, it doesn't really matter what we say - he'll be here.

All we can do is keep cheering and hoping the upward trajectory continues. That's all any fan (other than multi-millionaire boosters) can ever do anyway.

Yeah game against UL big. I don’t dislike stoops, hell I got banned for comments after msu game. I was more frustrated then they couldn’t hang, this game just kinda felt that was going to happen

The UL game is huge for Stoops , he loses that one people are going to have to face it , he's not growing in his position as head coach, and after we go back to 5-6 wins next year people will realize we are not making significant strides towards respectability . If he beats UL and we are more competitive than last year in the bowl game I'll be more content . But he's got to be the slowest learner in the history of football , year 5 and he still looks lost most of the time

I actually was proud of the fact that the team came out and tried to win yesterday. We stuck with it and were still competing right up until that Bowden INT. My fear is that we got so beat up, we may suffer for it next week.

We have to execute. We had chances against UGA, but regularly fell short in big opportunities.

Lousiville isn’t as good as Georgia and the game is at home.

Get a couple of turnovers, protect the ball, reduce stupid mistakes and execute big plays and we’ll be right there - just like last year.

I'm back and forth but overall I think you can't ignore the fact that things have improved each season. One thing that concerns me this year is the defense seems to have regressed as the season goes on. Is that because of our second half schedule, is it injuries, is it judt my imagination? Anyone else agree with that? And that isnt a reactionary thought to yesterday....defense was going to get torched and they did OK the first half.

ADVERTISEMENT