ADVERTISEMENT

I'm seeing some positive signs

IL Wildcat

Feb 20, 2003
Southern IL
This team still has a long way to go and I still see huge untapped potential in this group, but what we've seen in spurts, and what we saw for most of the game last night, is very encouraging.

#1 I thought without Jemarl Baker we'd struggle 3pt shooting.

However, we have shot 37.6% from 3pt range as a team. Quade Green has shot 50% from 3 on the season and is probably the biggest surprise. SGA, Gabriel, Knox, and Diallo have all shown they can make a 3.

#2 After early games, I was worried about guys not being as good as I thought they would be. Namely, Diallo, Knox, Washington, and Richards.

I've been seeing improvement and growing confidence from all 4 of these players. Knox is scoring 16.1 ppg and is grabbing 5.7 rpg. I don't think I realized just how good a rebounder Knox would be. I've noticed his excellent rebounding ability multiple times in these early games. Early on, Knox was too unselfish and not assertive, but that is changing before our eyes.

Richards' improvement over the last 3 games is very significant. That 25 and 15 game was amazing, but the good news is that he surrounded that game with 2 others that show some consistency. In the last 3 games, he's averaged 14.6pts and 8.6reb.

Washington has been having ups and downs. In the Vermont game, he finished with 17pts and 10reb, but he followed that with only 2pts and 2reb against Kansas. Last night's game was encouraging, against a team that really played hard nosed defense, PJ thrived, finishing with 17pts, 5reb, 4ast, and shot 5-7 from the FT line. Did you know Washinton is 3rd on the team in assists with 19? Problem is, he has 21 turnovers. Good news is, these last 2 games he's only had 1 turnover.

Diallo is a guy whose expectations were through the roof coming into this season. Based on those expectations, I think some fans have been disappointed in him. Honestly, I was disappointed with him to some degree, but I'm liking what I'm seeing more and more. Teams are definitely honing in on him, not letting him get comfortable. Last night's 19pts and 4ast were good to see. Those 2 monster dunks were part of what I was expecting this year, and I'm glad to see them, but I thought Diallo's overall play last night was excellent. He was doing what he needs to do to be successful. I loved those dunks, but the short runners inside 10 feet will be his bread and butter. Despite fan disappointment,
he's still our second leading scorer

#3 Point guard was my biggest concern to begin the season.

Through 7 games, I still have some concerns with the PG position, but I'm not nearly as worried as I was in September. I've already mentioned how Green has been shooting the ball and scoring, but how about Shai Gilgeous-Alexander? I can't get over how much better he has been than I thought he'd be! If you had told me a month ago he'd be scoring 9pts and leading the team in assists with 4apg, I might have laughed at you, but that's what he's doing. His "old school game" may become the most common catch-phrase of the season because you can't "hurry him up" with his "unorthodox" and "awkward" style. But all we can say is that he's efficient, shooting 55.3% from the field, including 50% from 3. I'd like to see fewer turnovers from both these guys. As Cal has pointed out, they're trying to make the highlight play instead of the easy play. I think this will improve as the season goes along. Until then, I think our 2-headed point guard will get us through.

#4 I worried we didn't have enough scoring. I thought the same couple guys would have to carry us every night.

Scoring is down a bit from previous seasons, though the team is still averaging 78 points per game. The most encouraging thing I've seen in regard to scoring is our balance. We've been led in scoring by 5 different players in these 7 games. Diallo, Washington, Knox, Green, and Richards have all led the team in scoring, and our scoring has been very balanced in all our games, which is a great thing. Knox has led the team in scoring 3 times, so it's looking like he's gonna be the go-to guy for this team.

All in all, we're moving in the right direction. There is still huge upside to this team, but it's beginning to take shape. The defense is improving game by game. We're still giving up too many straight line drives, but the man to man is getting better. I like the zone, still. The team is more active in that zone and the turnovers leading to easy transition points are more frequent in that zone. I liked the 3/4 court press last night too. Put Vanderbilt on the front of that and it will be a nightmare for opposing teams.

This team still has a long way to go and I still see huge untapped potential in this group, but what we've seen in spurts, and what we saw for most of the game last night, is very encouraging.

However, we have shot 37.6% from 3pt range as a team. Quade Green has shot 50% from 3 on the season and is probably the biggest surprise. SGA, Gabriel, Knox, and Diallo have all shown they can make a 3.

#2 After early games, I was worried about guys not being as good as I thought they would be. Namely, Diallo, Knox, Washington, and Richards.

I've been seeing improvement and growing confidence from all 4 of these players. Knox is scoring 16.1 ppg and is grabbing 5.7 rpg. I don't think I realized just how good a rebounder Knox would be. I've noticed his excellent rebounding ability multiple times in these early games. Early on, Knox was too unselfish and not assertive, but that is changing before our eyes.

Richards' improvement over the last 3 games is very significant. That 25 and 15 game was amazing, but the good news is that he surrounded that game with 2 others that show some consistency. In the last 3 games, he's averaged 14.6pts and 8.6reb.

Washington has been having ups and downs. In the Vermont game, he finished with 17pts and 10reb, but he followed that with only 2pts and 2reb against Kansas. Last night's game was encouraging, against a team that really played hard nosed defense, PJ thrived, finishing with 17pts, 5reb, 4ast, and shot 5-7 from the FT line. Did you know Washinton is 3rd on the team in assists with 19? Problem is, he has 21 turnovers. Good news is, these last 2 games he's only had 1 turnover.

Diallo is a guy whose expectations were through the roof coming into this season. Based on those expectations, I think some fans have been disappointed in him. Honestly, I was disappointed with him to some degree, but I'm liking what I'm seeing more and more. Teams are definitely honing in on him, not letting him get comfortable. Last night's 19pts and 4ast were good to see. Those 2 monster dunks were part of what I was expecting this year, and I'm glad to see them, but I thought Diallo's overall play last night was excellent. He was doing what he needs to do to be successful. I loved those dunks, but the short runners inside 10 feet will be his bread and butter. Despite fan disappointment,

Through 7 games, I still have some concerns with the PG position, but I'm not nearly as worried as I was in September. I've already mentioned how Green has been shooting the ball and scoring, but how about Shai Gilgeous-Alexander? I can't get over how much better he has been than I thought he'd be! If you had told me a month ago he'd be scoring 9pts and leading the team in assists with 4apg, I might have laughed at you, but that's what he's doing. His "old school game" may become the most common catch-phrase of the season because you can't "hurry him up" with his "unorthodox" and "awkward" style. But all we can say is that he's efficient, shooting 55.3% from the field, including 50% from 3. I'd like to see fewer turnovers from both these guys. As Cal has pointed out, they're trying to make the highlight play instead of the easy play. I think this will improve as the season goes along. Until then, I think our 2-headed point guard will get us through.

#4 I worried we didn't have enough scoring. I thought the same couple guys would have to carry us every night.

Scoring is down a bit from previous seasons, though the team is still averaging 78 points per game. The most encouraging thing I've seen in regard to scoring is our balance. We've been led in scoring by 5 different players in these 7 games. Diallo, Washington, Knox, Green, and Richards have all led the team in scoring, and our scoring has been very balanced in all our games, which is a great thing. Knox has led the team in scoring 3 times, so it's looking like he's gonna be the go-to guy for this team.

All in all, we're moving in the right direction. There is still huge upside to this team, but it's beginning to take shape. The defense is improving game by game. We're still giving up too many straight line drives, but the man to man is getting better. I like the zone, still. The team is more active in that zone and the turnovers leading to easy transition points are more frequent in that zone. I liked the 3/4 court press last night too. Put Vanderbilt on the front of that and it will be a nightmare for opposing teams.

I agree 100% with everything you said here. Great post!

Reactions: IL Wildcat
5330284-3d-positive-sign-Stock-Photo.jpg

Good post. The fact that we are not out of November and I am already seeing flashes of solid basketball is very encouraging. We are on the right trajectory for sure. Just like watching the roles being defined and seeing guys buy into how they should play. I think Cal is coaching his #$$ off this season.

Great post IL Wildcat the only thing I would like to see is Diallo & Washington improve on their outside shooting. I think Cal will work on the turnovers during this week. By Jan. I think this team will be very good.

Nice post. My schedule has kept me from watching a game since KU. We have improved a great deal since then. I'm starting to see real team play. I do think we'll be fine by March.

Well put IL. Wildcat. The team played hard the whole game. They played well together and unselfishly. When we get Vanderbilt back lookout. I thought SKJ looked good again and Wynyard did a good job while in the game. Most on here thought Baker wouldn't see the floor but if he get's the ok this season he could be very helpful. I also like the 2-3 zone.

Love seeing Green play off the ball at the 2. Allows him to shot the three more often.

Last edited:
Love seeing Green play off the ball at the 2. Allows him to shut the three more often.
Good point. What I like about this team is there really aren't too many guys you don't have to guard (compared to previous seasons). Green and Shai are both shooting 55% from the field. I know we need to see that against the big boys, but that's pretty impressive. Knox and Diallo are very capable scorers...Nick and Sacha as well. Even Gabriel, if he can get his confidence headed the right way is an offensive threat. PJ is better than what he's shown. If we can take better care of the ball, and rebound with the bigger teams, the sky is the limit.

Good assessment. I like that we are passing more effectively. I think this is getting us a better percentage jump shot and stopping some convergence. Man defense is getting better and I’m hoping this aspect of the game improves dramatically over break. Our zone is extremely weak, not surprisingly since our man to man skills are still not up to snuff. We will live and die with the quality of our man to man.

I like that our nose for the ball is improving with regard to 50/50 balls. I think that often goes hand in hand with rebounding.

Gabriel gets so lost while defending the perimeter at times. If I had to point at one thing that we haven’t made progress, it would be our perimeter defense. I wonder if that is a casualty of our conditioning program. Perimeter man to man D is HARD work and burns a bunch of energy. As the staff can back off conditioning a bit, we may see this perk up.

I like the zone, still. The team is more active in that zone and the turnovers leading to easy transition points are more frequent in that zone. I liked the 3/4 court press last night too. Put Vanderbilt on the front of that and it will be a nightmare for opposing teams.
Enjoyed your observations and opinions. Please keep posting your synopsis periodically.

Great post. I agree with most of everything. However I think our scoring is still an issue. Once we start conference play we will face much tougher competition. The SEC always plays us tough and we get into some backyard brawls, especially on the road. Our 3-5 minute scoring droughts have me concerned. If we do that on the road, this team doesn't have the experienced leadership to calm the troops down.

I remember this time in 2015 everyone freaking out that Jamal Murray's shot was broke and we could not win with a 5'8" point guard. Last year Malik Monk got off to a slow start before he exploded against UNC.

Washington seems to be the guy everyone is worrying about now. I think he will be fine, but may end up coming off the bench once Vanderbilt returns.

Reactions: ganner918
This is a solid analysis. Thanks. Still, that little voice in my head says, 'Will it all translate against Top 25 caliber teams?' I just don't think we'll know until that happens. Take PJ Washington for example. He made some strong moves last night that he finished. But he's playing below the rim, and he's not overly quick when he drives. Will he even get those shots off against elite competition?

All that said, I see promising signs as well. And I absolutely agree with Cal not throwing these guys into the deep end until mid-December. It would have been a pointless blow to their collective confidence. I'm really relieved the team performed as well as it did against a veteran Kansas team.
I guess the answer to your question about the team's play translating against top 25 teams depends on what you think of Kansas. Our Cats played them pretty well in their 3rd game together and the Jayhawks are a veteran team. We didn't win that game, but we fought and scrapped to within 4 of them and gave them fits at times. And we weren't even close to ready for that game.

Bottom line, the signs we're seeing now tell me this team is gonna be ok. I'm not making any ridiculous predictions but some of the fears I had earlier are put to rest. If these guys keep improving, this could be a really good team. I still don't think we deserve a top 10 ranking yet, but we may by the end of December.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT