ADVERTISEMENT

I'm not one to whine about officiating, but......

Joe Lindsey is given Higgins a run for his money
Absolutely garbage from the refs, there were times Kessler was just hugging Oscar in the post. The offensive foul on wheeler in the first half, so many garbage calls. It's typical sec road officiating.

Again, I thought Wheeler was allowed to use his hands a lot especially during the first 3/4 of the first half.
Assuming you are correct in your observation, it makes the officiating worse. What is a foul in the first 20 minutes should be a foul in the 2nd 20. The only exception to that, IMO, is when the refs are letting them play and it starts getting chippy. Then, they do have to pulls the reins.

I believe what they called on Toppin was his foot went under Smiths foot when he came down- I may be wrong but it did look like his foot was under his when he landed- only saw 1 replay on the play so not 100% sure it did- I know that is a big point of emphasis in the NBA when players do that, trying to prevent injuries to the shooters

Agreed. It was inadvertent but will be called and probably should be called. Just a bad break for us.

I believe what they called on Toppin was his foot went under Smiths foot when he came down- I may be wrong but it did look like his foot was under his when he landed- only saw 1 replay on the play so not 100% sure it did- I know that is a big point of emphasis in the NBA when players do that, trying to prevent injuries to the shooters

That's true, but Smith kicked his leg out and that is supposed to be a foul on him or no call at worst. just more Peral taught flopping.

Can't respect any coach, team, or player who continually flops and throws there heads back the whole game. I get gamesmanship and trying to get a call, but Auburn's defenders hand check then throw their heads back like they got hit all game.

Reactions: KFuqua
Life on the road in the SEC … it’s why I don’t get tore up about road losses. That’s why Cal likes neutral games. ThecNCAA tourney games are neutral… no road games. Just play your best and move on

Reactions: AGEE11
To the OP -- I think we got there typical poor road whistle , but the 2 calls you are mentioning , I disagree with your assessment on both .. The foul of Toppin Wass questionable , it was a 50/50 call where the all America playing on his home court gets the call. Toppin def got under him enough to where when Smith landed Jacob was in his space .. Did Smith do everything he could to draw that call ? Yep .
The second one I entirely disagree , the guy set a legal screen , Oscar once again either didnt call it or was too quiet in calling and SW runs right into the center of the guy . You cant split hairs on this -- like " he leaned 2 inches to his right " or he wasnt set .. he was . It was lack of awareness on SW and Oscar for not communicating .
Those 9 FT's we gave them made a big difference , and none of them were total screw job calls . We fell apart for too long a stretch in the 2nd half .. and once again Grady goes what seems like forever not getting a look . Kessler negated Oscar , and we just cant overcome that .
I agreed with OP on both. Smith kicked his leg out on the shot to sell the foul which is illegal. That is also why Jacob was under him.

On the first Kessler screen you can see him lift his right leg up to shift weight before impact.

I'm not going to say this game or any specific game for that matter but I never understood bringing up the difference in foul shots and completely attributing that to the refs 100%

Again I'm not saying there wasn't questionable calls in this one or pretty much every SEC game we play in. However the ability to get to the line on offense is a real skill. The ability to not foul on defense is also a skill.

This year is an outlier. But it's a weird argument to make when under Cal in most seasons we normally make more free throws than our opponents attempt. It's always been a huge part of our offense. We can't act like it's not a skill.

It’s always common for the home team to get a small edge with officiating, but 19 is too big of a difference to just be a little home cooking.

For the last time, I know that you don't want to talk about the fouls we committed but weren't called. I am saying that we committed fouls that weren't called and so did they. We didn't lose this game because of officiating. We lost for the following reasons: 1. Washington went down. 2. Wheeler went down multiple times. 3. There were no attempts to run the offense from the post to take pressure off the guards. 4. Too much standing around on offense.

If you are not feeding the post, you are not likely to get very many trips to the free-throw line.

Since the free throw discrepancy isn’t that big of a deal to you, I challenge you to a free throw contest for $1000. I shoot 29 and you shoot 10, the person with the most points wins and gets the money. You down?

If I had a zillion dollars, I would bet if Calipari has the top ranked recruiting class ten years in a row, he would win no more than one championship and not make final four in 50% of them. JMO
Actually, please just say less.

You're comical attempt at trying to blame Calipari for bad referring is, well, comical. The more you say on your push to blame him, the sillier you look.

So all a skilled player has to do is make sure they stick out their foot and try to make contact with the defensive player's leg, foot or ankle, add a little dramatic flailing flop action, and voila - foul on defender.

I think this type of foul is horse crap. TyTy came down on someone - why can't that also be a foul? Because it would be silly to expect a defender to somehow evade space to let the offensive player land "safely".

A foul on the three point shooter should be obvious, not some mostly unavoidable contact that the offensive player can create and put on an acting show to get the foul.

If I had a zillion dollars, I would bet if Calipari has the top ranked recruiting class ten years in a row, he would win no more than one championship and not make final four in 50% of them. JMO
Well, duh. They’d always be young and wouldn’t yet know how to RUN!

It’s always common for the home team to get a small edge with officiating, but 19 is too big of a difference to just be a little home cooking.

It's really not tho. We have those type of games all the time.

9 of those free throws was us fouling the 3 point shot 3 times.

and again... it's not the calls on us, but the lack of calls on them. They had 3 fouls for a huge portion of that game. Then the refs began to even it up, largely on fouls that were non-shooting fouls for UK.

Yep. One possession fairly late they called about 4 touch fouls on them to even it up, then it was back to no holds barred for the stretch.

They weren't even going to the rim. The points they had in the paint was wide open dunks off pick and roll.

Reactions: Comebakatz3
So all a skilled player has to do is make sure they stick out their foot and try to make contact with the defensive player's leg, foot or ankle, add a little dramatic flailing flop action, and voila - foul on defender.

I think this type of foul is horse crap. TyTy came down on someone - why can't that also be a foul? Because it would be silly to expect a defender to somehow evade space to let the offensive player land "safely".

A foul on the three point shooter should be obvious, not some mostly unavoidable contact that the offensive player can create and put on an acting show to get the foul.
You're right about TY TY, he did come down on someone's foot. Problem was, it was Oscar's.

I wholeheartedly agree about the flops by AU's players to draw fouls. Glad Cal doesn't coach his players to play dirty like that.

Reactions: KFuqua
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT