ADVERTISEMENT

I'm not one to whine about officiating, but......

Mar 23, 2021
29 free throws for Auburn to 10 for UK with the way Auburn plays defense, get freakin real.
And there were two pivotal calls- 1) the foul on Toppin when Smith flopped on the three-point shot, and 2) the first Kessler pick on Wheeler which was definitely a moving screen.

Outscored by 16 from the line while shooting 80% from the line. OUCH!!

Multiple shot clock violations should be unacceptable. Guards must be more aware.

29 free throws for Auburn to 10 for UK with the way Auburn plays defense, get freakin real.
And there were two pivotal calls- 1) the foul on Toppin when Smith flopped on the three-point shot, and 2) the first Kessler pick on Wheeler which was definitely a moving screen.

Multiple shot clock violations should be unacceptable. Guards must be more aware.
I really didn't have too much of an issue with officiating. The refs allowed UK to get away with some pretty physical play for about 3/4 of the first half.

Last edited:
I really didn't have too much of an issue with officiating. The refs allowed UK to get away with some pretty physical play fort about 3/4 of the first half.

It wasn't the the calls were bad... it was the lack of any of them on the other end.

Wheeler is leaned on and they put 2 hands on him all game long. No calls. Wheeler does it and it's a foul. They're both fouls. That's fine, but as the saying goes, 'call it both ways.'

It wasn't the the calls were bad... it was the lack of any of them on the other end.

Wheeler is leaned on and they put 2 hands on him all game long. No calls. Wheeler does it and it's a foul. They're both fouls. That's fine, but as the saying goes, 'call it both ways.'
Again, I thought Wheeler was allowed to use his hands a lot especially during the first 3/4 of the first half.

Again, I thought Wheeler was allowed to use his hands a lot especially during the first 3/4 of the first half.
I love physical basketball. I loved Hall's teams. I fondly remember beating Al McGuire's Marquett team in the tourney, and the '75 game against undefeated Bob Knight coached Indiana team. There was no place for the faint of heart on that floor. Pitino's teams play a physical brand of defense. But the officiating must be consistent and equal on both ends.

and again... it's not the calls on us, but the lack of calls on them. They had 3 fouls for a huge portion of that game. Then the refs began to even it up, largely on fouls that were non-shooting fouls for UK.

and again... it's not the calls on us, but the lack of calls on them. They had 3 fouls for a huge portion of that game. Then the refs began to even it up, largely on fouls that were non-shooting fouls for UK.
For the last time, I know that you don't want to talk about the fouls we committed but weren't called. I am saying that we committed fouls that weren't called and so did they. We didn't lose this game because of officiating. We lost for the following reasons: 1. Washington went down. 2. Wheeler went down multiple times. 3. There were no attempts to run the offense from the post to take pressure off the guards. 4. Too much standing around on offense.

If you are not feeding the post, you are not likely to get very many trips to the free-throw line.

Last edited:
Reactions: Calsmyguy
I'm not going to say this game or any specific game for that matter but I never understood bringing up the difference in foul shots and completely attributing that to the refs 100%

Again I'm not saying there wasn't questionable calls in this one or pretty much every SEC game we play in. However the ability to get to the line on offense is a real skill. The ability to not foul on defense is also a skill.

This year is an outlier. But it's a weird argument to make when under Cal in most seasons we normally make more free throws than our opponents attempt. It's always been a huge part of our offense. We can't act like it's not a skill.

For the last time, I know that you don't want to talk about the fouls we committed but weren't called. I am saying that we committed fouls that were called and so did they. We didn't lose this game because of officiating. We lost for the following reasons: 1. Washington went down. 2. Wheeler went down multiple times. 3. There were no attempts to run the offense from the post to take pressure off the guards. 4. Too much standing around on offense.

If both teams committed say 50 fouls and team A is called for 25 and team B for 5 then the focus shouldn't be on the 25 the refs missed for team A, but the fact that they missed 45 for team B and that they called 20 more on team A than team B despite them both committing about the same amount. That's what happened today. Both teams played physical and yet one team got to shoot 29 free throws while the other shot 10. One of them only committed 3 fouls for over half the game.

Sure, the other factors were bigger than refs, but the refs sure as shit didn't help.

If both teams committed say 50 fouls and team A is called for 25 and team B for 5 then the focus shouldn't be on the 25 the refs missed for team A, but the fact that they missed 45 for team B and that they called 20 more on team A than team B despite them both committing about the same amount. That's what happened today. Both teams played physical and yet one team got to shoot 29 free throws while the other shot 10. One of them only committed 3 fouls for over half the game.

Sure, the other factors were bigger than refs, but the refs sure as shit didn't help.
I am sure Tennessee felt the same way after they lost.

In AUs loss to UK last year UK shot 25 FTs to AUs 10. Did you do this same breakdown for that game?

Neat. We beat them by 28. We shot 4 in the first half. They shot 2. We dominated well before the FT disparity occurred.
You go ahead and repair the crack in the front of the boat while doing about the bowling ball size hole in the rear and see what good it does. Half time is for countering what the opposing team was doing in the first half that was causing trouble. It isn't for making no changes and then wondering why things didn't get any better during the second half.

In AUs loss to UK last year UK shot 25 FTs to AUs 10. Did you do this same breakdown for that game?

SEC refs are trash. That's the point. Even in this game... UK goes on a run and suddenly UK is committing fouls that weren't being called before that help curb the UK run. In the second half Auburn goes up 5 and looks like they're going to run away with it. Then suddenly Auburn starts getting random fouls called on them that weren't previously called that helped curb the Auburn run. It's trash.

SEC refs are trash. That's the point. Even in this game... UK goes on a run and suddenly UK is committing fouls that weren't being called before that help curb the UK run. In the second half Auburn goes up 5 and looks like they're going to run away with it. Then suddenly Auburn starts getting random fouls called on them that weren't previously called that helped curb the Auburn run. It's trash.
Well we can find common ground on that. Basketball and football.

Reactions: StevieJFTW07
Cal mentioned in the post game it was about trying to run their 3 point shooters off the line and some guys got a bit too aggressive.

Don't know about kessler, but Toppin didn't freaking touch him

Guys I apologize if I riled anybody. I rarely post here, my home base is the paddock. I venture out at times and todays game just irked me. We all have our views and options. This game IMO was our turning point to prove to the critics we are a true contender. I still believe that, but everybody says the players need to step up more, I think Calipari needs to prove his cost. Easy to blame these kids, but to me its the coach. To me, calipari cost us this game because he sit silent with the bullshit calls. Just my thoughts
It all balances out, earlier in the year he was yelling too much!!!

Reactions: Greatestalltime
It's not worth arguing but almost all the Pearl games are garbage refs..

1. I'm still pissed at the elite 8 game in PJ's last year. No FT in OT and last 13 mintues of 2nd half.
2. Today...Auburn had 2 fouls at halftime and outshot UK by that much at the FT line....when we shot less 3's.
3. The way Auburn plays is hand checking the ball all day long, push your guards but force you to call fouls all day or just let it go.

It's fine but SEC refs blow. The two white ref were shit all day. Rinse and repeat in this conference.

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
Don't know about kessler, but Toppin didn't freaking touch him
I believe what they called on Toppin was his foot went under Smiths foot when he came down- I may be wrong but it did look like his foot was under his when he landed- only saw 1 replay on the play so not 100% sure it did- I know that is a big point of emphasis in the NBA when players do that, trying to prevent injuries to the shooters

Reactions: JC CATS and LmdCat
No! It is UK!
There are plenty of fans who find it tough accepting Cal. So, I am sure the refs have grown tired of his nonstop screaming and yelling at them. We are very fortunate that he hasn't received any out of the box fouls because he is seldom within the coach's box.

The number of fouls were even with 2:10 left in the game. 9 free throws came off of fouling on 3’s of which none of the calls were in doubt on those. 10 free throws came in the final 2:10 of the game when UK was forced to foul. The discrepancy in the amount of free throws comes down to fouling on the 3’s and fouling to extend the game. Other than that, it was even.

To the OP -- I think we got there typical poor road whistle , but the 2 calls you are mentioning , I disagree with your assessment on both .. The foul of Toppin Wass questionable , it was a 50/50 call where the all America playing on his home court gets the call. Toppin def got under him enough to where when Smith landed Jacob was in his space .. Did Smith do everything he could to draw that call ? Yep .
The second one I entirely disagree , the guy set a legal screen , Oscar once again either didnt call it or was too quiet in calling and SW runs right into the center of the guy . You cant split hairs on this -- like " he leaned 2 inches to his right " or he wasnt set .. he was . It was lack of awareness on SW and Oscar for not communicating .
Those 9 FT's we gave them made a big difference , and none of them were total screw job calls . We fell apart for too long a stretch in the 2nd half .. and once again Grady goes what seems like forever not getting a look . Kessler negated Oscar , and we just cant overcome that .

If a team sits back in a passive 2-3 zone it's easy to understand a significant free throw disparity. However, Auburn played an aggressive 3/4 court reaching, hacking, hand checking, double teaming defense. There are reasons for free throw disparities, such as style of play and intentionally fouling at the end of the game in an attempt to make a comeback. That IMHO was not the case here.

Reactions: Christnole30
Not a response too the OP, but more of a response to the people who think the "refs hate cal" or we have always gotten a bad whistle in every year. Going back to 2016 here are where we ranked in FTA in the SEC. 6, 5, 1 (#5 in the country), 1 (#6 in the country), 2 (#5 in the country).

ADVERTISEMENT