ADVERTISEMENT

I'm a little concerned with the FT shooting..........

It's a minor concern right now but nonetheless it must improve.......GO CATS!
Careful, you might be bombarded with stinging replies. Apparently some people think that leaving free points at the line means nothing. Ask our 1997 and 2011 teams whether those points don't matter that much. Ask the 2008 Memphis State team too.

Reactions: Boneheadblue
So would you rather put in another player who is better at FT shooting like Mulder? Or would you rather have Briscoe's 12.5 ppg and 6 rpg as a shooting guard? Would you give up those 2-3 pts in missed FT's to get an extra 4 rebounds per game ?

Right now, UK will need to pay close attention in which players close out a tight game. In my opinion, Alex needs to be in the game over Lee. Outside of that, I think we'll do better.

I've said before that free throw concerns need to be a sticky thread , it's a concern every year .

I was too lazy to look it up, but was wondering if Uk was the worst free throw shooting team in the country...

If your worried about ft shooting in Nov then your too close back off a little and just enjoy the ride BBN.
We are 5-0 Ranked # 1 in CBB again. Life is good.

Just tells me Ulis and Murray need the ball and shoot more to get to the line...they dont miss

I was too lazy to look it up, but was wondering if Uk was the worst free throw shooting team in the country...
This is a perfect example of how PROFOUNDLY uninformed people are about FT shooting.

Overall D1 free throw shooting has, since 1975 varied between 67.1% and 69.8%. It's NEVER been outside that range, unless you want to go back to 1955 and earlier (when it was lower). There has NEVER been a season when the average D1 team hit 70% of their FT's, and the all-time single season record occurred 2 years ago.

Given those historical realities, asking if a team that's hitting 65% is the worst in the nation is completely absurd. 65% is not good, but it's literally 1 more made per game from being average.

This is a perfect example of how PROFOUNDLY uninformed people are about FT shooting.

Overall D1 free throw shooting has, since 1975 varied between 67.1% and 69.8%. It's NEVER been outside that range, unless you want to go back to 1955 and earlier (when it was lower). There has NEVER been a season when the average D1 team hit 70% of their FT's, and the all-time single season record occurred 2 years ago.

Given those historical realities, asking if a team that's hitting 65% is the worst in the nation is completely absurd. 65% is not good, but it's literally 1 more made per game from being average.
Great post . We have 2 guys who should be a concern - Lee and Matthews as both are bad at the line . Briscoe is in a slump but he shoots around 70-75% for his career and I have seen him make 22 in a row in a game . Ulis , Willis , Poy , Murray , Humphries , Mulder all shoot really well at the line . Every team has a few guys who can't make them but this board loves to harp on those few .

Here's the chart if anyone is interested.

freethrowpercent.gif

This shows UK's cumulative FT% (in blue), UK's opponent's cumulative FT% (yellow) and the NCAA average (red).

Careful, you might be bombarded with stinging replies. Apparently some people think that leaving free points at the line means nothing. Ask our 1997 and 2011 teams whether those points don't matter that much. Ask the 2008 Memphis State team too.

Arenk,
I never see you post except during and after games. I looked back at your posts and you sure seem angry all the time about what the Cats and their coach doesn't do. As a UK fan has there been a time or situation you were happy or satisfied with UK? There probably has been a time you were happy but I didn't see it. Just for equal times sake tell me when you were a happy UK fan. Not judging you but geez I like to find the good things people post too. Thanks

Lee and Briscoe are completely awful free throw shooters. Ulis and Murray are elite. Everyone else is average. When Lee and Briscoe get to the line a lot in a game, it is going to drag down our percentage. Not sure how or if that will improve by the end of the year. Briscoe is very good at getting to the rim and with the amended rules, that is going to lead to lots of free throws.

Reactions: RonEJones
So would you rather put in another player who is better at FT shooting like Mulder? Or would you rather have Briscoe's 12.5 ppg and 6 rpg as a shooting guard? Would you give up those 2-3 pts in missed FT's to get an extra 4 rebounds per game ?

No. I would rather have Briscoe make his free throws.

I think it will improve throughout the season. Ulis and Murray are good at the line and I think Poythress and Briscoe will get there sooner than later.

Lee and Briscoe are completely awful free throw shooters. Ulis and Murray are elite. Everyone else is average. When Lee and Briscoe get to the line a lot in a game, it is going to drag down our percentage. Not sure how or if that will improve by the end of the year. Briscoe is very good at getting to the rim and with the amended rules, that is going to lead to lots of free throws.

Agreed. Lee is what he is. If it's a close game, it will be a gamble to keep him in. Briscoe was pretty good FT shooter in HS. So hopefully it will even out and he'll get it going as he brings too much toughness and skill to sit at crutch time.

With that said, I expect the rest of the team be a solid FT shooting team. As some has already said, Ulis and Murray are money and the rest of the team will be pretty good to good (save for Matthews who may not get a ton of clock once the meat of the season hits).

I agree with poster in other thread...Briscoe is playing D really hard for the first time in his life. He's not used to shooting ft with tired legs. Wait til after January and see if his ft% doesn't magically improve.

Lee's just not a good shooter. Lol

True. It also cost Duke in 1998 and Stanford in 1998...also Minny in 1997, appears that it cost ND in 2015, Wisconsin in 2014, Michigan in 2014, UL in 2014, WST in 2014, etc. SO UK lucked into a lot of its final fours and a national title...and that is just the beginning of my research. These things work both ways, and I am sure there was more to all these losses to FTs (as intelligent people know) but just trying to fit the above guy's agenda.

And the guys that missed for Memphis were their best FT shooters...not sure what you do there. People choke at the line, these are college kids.

Great post . We have 2 guys who should be a concern - Lee and Matthews as both are bad at the line . Briscoe is in a slump but he shoots around 70-75% for his career and I have seen him make 22 in a row in a game . Ulis , Willis , Poy , Murray , Humphries , Mulder all shoot really well at the line . Every team has a few guys who can't make them but this board loves to harp on those few .
Ok, you guys made me look it up and I stand corrected. Uk ranks 254th in the country and 11th in the SEC in FT shooting. not bad at all. Lee, Matthews, Briscoe, and Alex aren't very good at the line opponents will have trouble finding one of them on the floor. No worries, carry on...

dumb

1. No one is saying leaving free points means nothing. Way to twist other people's comment. (way to be stupid)

2. There's nothing more lacking in basketball knowledge than saying a team lost because they missed free throw. There's more to basketball than free throws.

3. What is there to talk about in regards to free throw. it's not like Coach Cal says Don't shoot free throws!!! He holds players accountable, and challenge each player to work on their skill outside of team practice.

4. You should also ask other aspect of basketball, it's the same damn thing as missing free throw...in fact it's worse. Even if we were shooting best FT% in NCAA men's basketball at 85%...it's only 5 more points per game. Just in rebound we can talk about 10+ more points per game differential. Hell, 3 point defense, we can talk about 10+ more points per game differential. Basic Defense...or running offense, etc.

there's no doubt that they need to make more free throw. However, let's not over exaggerate free throws as if it's all there is to winning and losing. Most of the game you mentioned, free throw isn't the only problem.

This team has a lot of things they need to work on, while free throw is one of them, let's not single it out as if that's the big one. It just means you guys don't see the insane defensive breakdowns that's happening still.

ADVERTISEMENT