ADVERTISEMENT

I'll be surprised if we hold our good recruiting class

I live in Louisville and to be honest MOST African American folks in the city are Card fans. You do see some Blue here and there but they are mostly Card Fans. It will be rare if an African-American kid is from here that he will go to UK if offered by both. Especially if Louisville is having a decent program. There are certainly exceptions Keenan Burton , Corey Peters to name a couple.. I am sure there are more. I am surprised when we get any Louisville kids. Last year was an aberration and that was due to how bad UL was. The good news is it was a great year last year with Louisville HS Talent and we pulled most of them. The upside is Ky is just a mediocre High school talent pool and there are kids in Ohio, Florida, Georgia etc just as good or better. The great speed, or most of it is down south.

I live in Louisville and to be honest MOST African American folks in the city are Card fans. You do see some Blue here and there but they are mostly Card Fans. It will be rare if an African-American kid is from here that he will go to UK if offered by both. Especially if Louisville is having a decent program. There are certainly exceptions Keenan Burton , Corey Peters to name a couple.. I am sure there are more. I am surprised when we get any Louisville kids. Last year was an aberration and that was due to how bad UL was. The good news is it was a great year last year with Louisville HS Talent and we pulled most of them. The upside is Ky is just a mediocre High school talent pool and there are kids in Ohio, Florida, Georgia etc just as good or better. The great speed, or most of it is down south.
Also, UK's football brand has been stale for a while now.

Say JJ Weaver becomes another Josh Allen/Bud Dupree and we have another great season next year...it'll be easier for Marrow to get in those doors.

Before the 2018 season...we couldn't see many draft picks, seasons ranked, and had lost 6 of 7 to U6. They had just put out several draft picks and had a Heisman. Now? We can start selling our brand. We put out NFL draft picks. We are in the SEC. We play in big bowl games.

Living in Louisville, you are 100% right about it being hard to get kids in that city. But, I think it had more to do with Kentucky just being awful and having poor facilities. We weren't even a factor for kids. They would probably think "If im going to leave, I ain't going there of all places". We now can sell being close to home, but not being at home.

I get this is the case at every school. And I can only pray that recruits don't read this and other boards. Because, GAWD!!! We have some stupid fans with ZERO football IQ.

Running Bowden at QB is a signal we are committed to winning and holding this season together. At some point, Wood is going to get in. And I anticipate a Hoak-like performance. And then I suspect some of these same dolts will be complaining that Stoops gave up on the team by putting in Wood. He's in a no win situation with these idiots...

Wood will only get in if there is a blow out and that might not even happen and I hate to say that. No way stoops is going to give Walker a shot to be a hero or just look good and then have to hear about him being in the mix.

Reactions: UKWinsAgainYep
By the way, for those of you wondering, USC's THIRD string QB was a near five star, a 6.0, and his brother came out of nowhere to set records at WSU before his untimely death. We don't have anything close to him when you go through all the injuries to our QBs, all but our true freshman 5.5 PROJECT that missed spring practice have been greatly affected by them.
That's Hilinski. He started the year #2 on the depth chart. The 3rd string QB is Dak Joyner, the kid who played the second half vs. UGA and is a rsFresh. Next season SC is bringing in Luke Doty...

Wood will only get in if there is a blow out and that might not even happen and I hate to say that. No way stoops is going to give Walker a shot to be a hero or just look good and then have to hear about him being in the mix.
Once we get to the 9th game, I'd think Gilmore is more likely than Wood.

-Agreed on Watkins.....but Watkins never had a ride that would impact Drennen in any way.
-UK can't run this Bowden-QB thing the entire game...we won't win 6 games doing so and we'll be relegated to under 100 yards passing a game which plays a part why we've struck out so much on WR recruits the past 2-3 years.
-I've been prepped for a 7 win season even when Terry was healthy....but if we put up a 4 win season....I highly doubt we'll hold more of that recruiting class we've put so much into the past 3 years building to this point. If we crap the bed rest of way, Michigan St, Tenn, Michigan, Penn St, Wisconsin, South Carolina, Florida St, etc.. will be all over Justin Rogers, Rybka, Torrance Davis, Branham, Cummings, etc.. saying "You sure you want to take a chance on those kind of seasons"?

Man, are you going nuts? I told another poster the sky is falling, get off your computer and get outside to look for the pieces, they will be sky blue, not "GO BIG BLUE" but you should be able to sell them for souvenirs. Anything to get you off the computer before you lose it entirely.

A FOUR win season, I'm afraid it may be too late.

W/L is going to have little to do with holding on to this class. They all understand that this was always going to be a potentially down year and I believe they also understand we’ve played well enough to be 5-1 even without TW. We dominated Florida and MSU everywhere except the scoreboard.
We dominated MSU? Did we watch the same game?

Man, are you going nuts? I told another poster the sky is falling, get off your computer and get outside to look for the pieces, they will be sky blue, not "GO BIG BLUE" but you should be able to sell them for souvenirs. Anything to get you off the computer before you lose it entirely.

A FOUR win season, I'm afraid it may be too late.
Hopefully your right and we'll win plenty, both of us happy about it, recruits feel good and stick with UK and most importantly the players enjoy success for all the work the Sr/Jr classes have put into the UK.

But if we miss a bowl (and I hope you realize it was the narrow-est of margins to beat a bad Arkansas team) and say we lose 3-4 of our higher rated kids and the offense continues to look way below par....guys like you need to stop running your gums so much with all the "negative nancies, haters, etc.." baloney. And you're one of the ring leaders of the "kool aid club".

I, and many others, really like the staff and program...but the QB situation is ridiculous and it's not like we've got a coaching pedigree on offensive side of the ball to really feel confident this is just a blip on the radar.

Hopefully your right and we'll win plenty, both of us happy about it, recruits feel good and stick with UK and most importantly the players enjoy success for all the work the Sr/Jr classes have put into the UK.

But if we miss a bowl (and I hope you realize it was the narrow-est of margins to beat a bad Arkansas team) and say we lose 3-4 of our higher rated kids and the offense continues to look way below par....guys like you need to stop running your gums so much with all the "negative nancies, haters, etc.." baloney. And you're one of the ring leaders of the "kool aid club".

I, and many others, really like the staff and program...but the QB situation is ridiculous and it's not like we've got a coaching pedigree on offensive side of the ball to really feel confident this is just a blip on the radar.

FOUR wins?

Sorry, I don't have any more time to waste right now, but I don't have ANY doubt that the "kool aid club" has been more help to our program than the "negative nancies" in getting us to a ten win season. Just using your disrespectful terms for them, I guess you would have to put me in the "kool aid club" if those are the only choices, I like to think of us as optimists.

Oh, and right now you are acting like the prototypical "negative nancy". What happened, I don't remember you being like this before.

Last edited:

As mentioned, I agree re QB. But I've been saying the staff needs to recruit even better overall than we're seeing, to wit UK needs more 4* players on their roster, somewhere in the 12-14 range per recruiting class.. And I think they're trying. Again, I feel good about them keeping this class together...it's the previous "leans" I'm concerned about. UGA is too big of a bite for this program at this time(this game could get out of hand), Missouri on is the key.

Reactions: fabcat and jauk11
thread-delivers.jpg

Also, UK's football brand has been stale for a while now.

Say JJ Weaver becomes another Josh Allen/Bud Dupree and we have another great season next year...it'll be easier for Marrow to get in those doors.

Before the 2018 season...we couldn't see many draft picks, seasons ranked, and had lost 6 of 7 to U6. They had just put out several draft picks and had a Heisman. Now? We can start selling our brand. We put out NFL draft picks. We are in the SEC. We play in big bowl games.

Living in Louisville, you are 100% right about it being hard to get kids in that city. But, I think it had more to do with Kentucky just being awful and having poor facilities. We weren't even a factor for kids. They would probably think "If im going to leave, I ain't going there of all places". We now can sell being close to home, but not being at home.

Nice post. but what the hell is wrong with you?

We didn't have poor facilities, we had HORRIBLE facilities------with the readily available picture (all the recruiters had it) to prove it, NOTHING above the bare minimum for TEN years.

Man, it is so hard for our fans to admit the truth when the proof was everywhere. And I can't wait for all the negativity to start when Georgia beats us, tons more in state talent, highest recruiting budget in the nation the last three years (and a record EIGHT five stars in their class last year, class average a HIGH four star, a 5.95) but we should have plenty of talent to beat them------in a few years, excepting a fluke win before then, like USC got.

That is if our commits and FANS stick with us. All the negativity doesn't help any, how could it?

Last edited:
Reactions: HoptownCat93
Burton and Peters are hardly the only exceptions and you are correct that there are more. How about the four kids from Louisville in the 2019 class alone, every single of whom received an offer from Louisville? Louisville did get one player from Louisville that we offered, but it's not likely that this was a take for us at the point he accepted the U6 offer.

Reactions: jauk11
That chance happend a few weeks ago when the game was over early in the 4th quarter with Smith showing no ability to score in the first. It was the perfect time to see if Walker could do anything at but that time has passed. It was literally practice time with live game SEC reps and Stoops and Co didn't see fit to use him so I think you're right.

-Agreed on Watkins.....but Watkins never had a ride that would impact Drennen in any way.
-UK can't run this Bowden-QB thing the entire game...we won't win 6 games doing so and we'll be relegated to under 100 yards passing a game which plays a part why we've struck out so much on WR recruits the past 2-3 years.
-I've been prepped for a 7 win season even when Terry was healthy....but if we put up a 4 win season....I highly doubt we'll hold more of that recruiting class we've put so much into the past 3 years building to this point. If we crap the bed rest of way, Michigan St, Tenn, Michigan, Penn St, Wisconsin, South Carolina, Florida St, etc.. will be all over Justin Rogers, Rybka, Torrance Davis, Branham, Cummings, etc.. saying "You sure you want to take a chance on those kind of seasons"?
If all of our viable QB options are injured, what do you suggest they do? Play a LB at QB?

Honestly, if recruits don't look at the circumstances that put us in this position then they're not really college level material.

Uh...Miss St had 2 100 yards rushers in our game. There is no way the better team won that game...which was MSU.

Florida....I'll concede we continue to lose those games that we outplay them.

Quite a concession.

Kind of like a backhanded slap at the team and coaches.

Totally don't understand a 7 win season with TW. Looking who we have played I could see us being 6-0 right now. Don't see how you thought 7 wins with TW.

Reactions: fabcat and jauk11
You obviously don't know TW. Talk his history as a UK QB?
Don't know if I am reading rite but are you saying we would win more with TW. I thought he was playing lights out this year. I think with a healthy TW we win a lot more than 7. TW I think went 12-3 as a starter. Derrick Ramsey went 10-1 with a way better defense than TW had and people talk about Ramsey being great. I would put TW about the same as Ramsey but with a way better arm!!

Reactions: UKvisitor
Drew Franklin on ksr commented today on a 5 star from Michigan possibly flipping. Rogers is one we must hang onto.

Nah...people always negative, always. No need for recruits to bail. I know once you cross state lines into KY ppl always think back up QBs are awesome..but they arent.

Sure ppl may be playing a first yr qb...but is their first year qb a 3rd or 4th string guy?

(1) Few posters here, not the OP or me, knows what running Bowden at QB under the current circumstances means to recruiting. It could be very good to be reminded how creative this staff can be (see Barker, SJ, TW and now Bowden). Predictive threads like this are junk, given the OP has no real idea.

(2) If the OP thinks he is smart enough to realize that this is just situational, perhaps our recruits are too.

Totally don't understand a 7 win season with TW. Looking who we have played I could see us being 6-0 right now. Don't see how you thought 7 wins with TW.

I totally agree with you, Terry was that important to this team.

Reactions: Catluv
If we are going to run Bowden at QB, this is going to be a nightmare season. The likelihood of us holding this recruiting class goes to very unlikely....especially the WR watching a re-run of Stoops first disaster season with Jalen Whitlow at QB.

I'll concede some tough lucky with Wilson and all the transfers at QB....but why Walker Wood can't go or even a package for GIlmore off a bye week is 100% nonsense by Gran/Stoops and company. THere are all kinds of teams playing first year QBs....this is nonsense.

You was probably suprised we got this recruiting class so two suprises same season on recruiting is a good thing??

ADVERTISEMENT