ADVERTISEMENT

I'll be surprised if we hold our good recruiting class

K_TIME

All-American
Jan 2, 2003
If we are going to run Bowden at QB, this is going to be a nightmare season. The likelihood of us holding this recruiting class goes to very unlikely....especially the WR watching a re-run of Stoops first disaster season with Jalen Whitlow at QB.

I'll concede some tough lucky with Wilson and all the transfers at QB....but why Walker Wood can't go or even a package for GIlmore off a bye week is 100% nonsense by Gran/Stoops and company. THere are all kinds of teams playing first year QBs....this is nonsense.

It makes little sense for the recruits to flip. They know the position we're in. If we had a mature defense and our full compliment on offense and still had a horrible season, we would expect to lose recruits. They see what Stoops has done and how bare our cupboard is at this point.

I think recruits realize the situation and the constraints of this team personnel wise.

Not sure if we’ll ever get another good pass-catching tight-end to come in, or a big time receiver given the reluctance in the passing game, even before Wilson went down.

I think Gran is streaky as a play-caller, at best. We need a QB.

I can understand the OP's frustration as of 8:10 pm last night...I thought we were going to set an NCAA record for a team never completing a forward pass beyond the LOS. Fortunately, Gran opened things up a little and Bowden did the rest. I think this was a huge win for the team's confidence and should set the stage for some more wins and a bowl down the stretch. All is certainly not lost on the recruiting front.

The staff feels like this is our best chance to win now and they know we need a QB. It's a no win situation for them if Gilmore or Woods come in and and don't do as good as Smith has, there is pressure to win now. I would rather take my chances with Bowden for as long as the staff thinks is necessary. We have a better chance of keeping the recruits on board while being competitive and winning some games as opposed to starting QB's that are not ready to go.

Everyone talks about this bad season. Let’s remember that most of those who left after last season committed to a new staff and back to back two win seasons. If you can get that talent to commit. This year shouldn’t be an issue

We have lost 1 recruit 3 star Jordan Watkins, may replace him with 4 star Drennen. I will take that. The Arkansas game was important. Need to go bowling so they don't go bailing
-Agreed on Watkins.....but Watkins never had a ride that would impact Drennen in any way.
-UK can't run this Bowden-QB thing the entire game...we won't win 6 games doing so and we'll be relegated to under 100 yards passing a game which plays a part why we've struck out so much on WR recruits the past 2-3 years.
-I've been prepped for a 7 win season even when Terry was healthy....but if we put up a 4 win season....I highly doubt we'll hold more of that recruiting class we've put so much into the past 3 years building to this point. If we crap the bed rest of way, Michigan St, Tenn, Michigan, Penn St, Wisconsin, South Carolina, Florida St, etc.. will be all over Justin Rogers, Rybka, Torrance Davis, Branham, Cummings, etc.. saying "You sure you want to take a chance on those kind of seasons"?

I agree. Now that teams have film on Bowden moving the football will be tougher. My hope is we get Sawyer back healthy and then we can put a few series with Lyn in to give the opponents something else to worry about. Sawyer can play he just has to get healthy. Between the two we could really give opponents fits if Gran can mix it up.

We have to know by now, Wood, is not playing, unless the worst happens. Not a knock on Wood, he is a real trooper with all his surgries. When Smith gets healthy, he is the QB. Bowden had a great game for sure. He will still play some QB when Smith is ready. We can't afford the luxery of Lynn running 20 plus times a game.we have had 2 QB'S go down. Nothing new from me in this post, but we will keep most of our comitts.

If we are going to run Bowden at QB, this is going to be a nightmare season. The likelihood of us holding this recruiting class goes to very unlikely....especially the WR watching a re-run of Stoops first disaster season with Jalen Whitlow at QB.

I'll concede some tough lucky with Wilson and all the transfers at QB....but why Walker Wood can't go or even a package for GIlmore off a bye week is 100% nonsense by Gran/Stoops and company. THere are all kinds of teams playing first year QBs....this is nonsense.

You seem like an intelligent person. However, did you even read what you wrote? How much sense does it make to put a raw true freshman who hasn't played one snap into an SEC game for one series and probably doesn't even know the playbook well compared to Bowden.

Then to suggest Walker Woods play. I love Walker Woods!! However, he is not the same player he was at Lafayette. His two surgeries took a lot out of him physically. Where he is very valuable is sending in the plays on the sideline and helping our young guys process the plays. It was helpful having him there doing the same thing this game to try and keep some normalcy. I don't really see Walker Woods ever playing again but getting lots of valuable experience to coaching one day.

I hate to pile on Walker Wood, but it’s painfully obvious he’s at best a 4th string option even under the current roster situation. Maybe he should consider taking a medical scholarship and becoming a grad assistant or something.

As to the OP, I would prefer to have a healthy Sawyer Smith taking the snaps. Perhaps let LB play a series or two as QB to mix things up.

Reactions: TJ4BigBlue
What commits are still being recruited/taking visits? Most of the recruits I'm aware of shut down their recruiting long ago. My concern aren't with the commits, and granted anything can happen, it's with guys long rumored to be leans but still taking visits. That's the area that requires extra work.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
Yes, the recruits have already started to bail.

Re: qb - I mean, holy shit South freaking Carolina was down to their 3rd string qb today and still managed to win at UGa

Geez.

The recruits (plural) have started to bail, BS ONE has bailed that didn't want to be here to start with, a Transfer U native that is impressed by their surprising start, one that is pretty shaky if you look at it. Of course our season has been disappointing, but with good reason, our third string QB should have been Scalzo but injuries has taken our first three best options at QB, and the fourth has been held back by a series of injuries also. They knew the FIFTH option was a project, and he didn't get here for spring practice, AND has been dividing his attention between football and baseball where his EXCELLENT arlm makes him a big prospect also. Getting hilm as a commit means we probably got a great pitching prospect IF he doesn't pan out as a QB, and with all the HEALED prospects we will have next year that is what might happen, but they haven't given up on him, they raved about his POTENTIAL.

Recruits should be very impressed with our last game, fantastic job to have our WR fill in so well at QB.

Last edited:
Geez.

The recruits (plural) have started to bail, BS ONE has bailed that didn't want to be here to start with, a Thug U native that is impressed by their surprising start, one that is pretty shaky if you look at it. Of course our season has been disappointing, but with good reason, our third string QB should have been Scalzo but injuries has taken our first three best options at QB, an the fourth has been held back by a series of injuries also. They knew the FIFTH option was a project, and he didn't get here for spring practice, AND has been dividing he attention between football and baseball where his EXCELLENT arlm makes him a big prospect also. Getting hilm as a commit means we probably got a great pitching prospect IF he doesn't pan out as a QB, and with all the HEALED prospects we will have next year that is what might happen, but they haven't given up on him, they raved about his POTENTIAL.

Recruits should be very impressed with our last game, fantastic job to have our WR fill in so well at QB.
Re Gilmore/baseball. He's not rated a top baseball prospect anywhere but this message board. Talk is he throws in the 90s but he went undrafted in last year's MLB draft, a sure sign that's not true. You can bet any MLB team would have taken an 18y/o lefty throwing in the 90s SOMEWHERE in their 50 Round draft. I hope he is good because it'd make UK baseball good too but I imagine he's as much of a baseball project as he is football. This top baseball prospect stuff needs to stop.

Reactions: EKCAT4YRS
You seem like an intelligent person. However, did you even read what you wrote? How much sense does it make to put a raw true freshman who hasn't played one snap into an SEC game for one series and probably doesn't even know the playbook well compared to Bowden.

Then to suggest Walker Woods play. I love Walker Woods!! However, he is not the same player he was at Lafayette. His two surgeries took a lot out of him physically. Where he is very valuable is sending in the plays on the sideline and helping our young guys process the plays. It was helpful having him there doing the same thing this game to try and keep some normalcy. I don't really see Walker Woods ever playing again but getting lots of valuable experience to coaching one day.
The problem is there are quite a few teams (not all at elite level) that do indeed play true Fr QBs with some success. It isn't so far fetched any more. Maybe Gilmore isn't one of those QBs.....but to be this early in a season and to be this desperate isn't a good thing and to be honest...we've been doing QBs by the skin of our chin for a while now. (get JUCO Wilson, lightly regarded JUCO Stephen Johnson forced into early action 3 years ago in 3rd game of year, etc..).

We need to recruit a develop some QBs and not be in this position so much. We have to be a bottom 3 QB play in SEC the past 7 years do we not?

W/L is going to have little to do with holding on to this class. They all understand that this was always going to be a potentially down year and I believe they also understand we’ve played well enough to be 5-1 even without TW. We dominated Florida and MSU everywhere except the scoreboard.

Reactions: jauk11
Re: qb - I mean, holy shit South freaking Carolina was down to their 3rd string qb today and still managed to win at UGa
Sorry, but this strikes me as lazy thinking. First, the situations aren't exactly comparable. USC is on QB3. I don't know their history/depth chart. But we're on at least #4. Clark transfers. Hoak transfers. Wilson hurt. Smith hurt. Scalzo hurt. Wood is next man up, but he's had 3 major surgeries, including 2 evidently on his throwing arm. Hence, we're using a wide receiver at QB. He was awesome, but I'm with those who think that now that there's film, he'll be easier to plan for (not to mention tougher opponents coming up).

I'll agree with you that it's Stoops' job to manage the roster. But he can't be reasonably held accountable for literally anything that might happen. If a meteor strikes the football dorm, you can say he should have had a contingency plan, but......

W/L is going to have little to do with holding on to this class. They all understand that this was always going to be a potentially down year and I believe they also understand we’ve played well enough to be 5-1 even without TW. We dominated Florida and MSU everywhere except the scoreboard.
Uh...Miss St had 2 100 yards rushers in our game. There is no way the better team won that game...which was MSU.

Florida....I'll concede we continue to lose those games that we outplay them.

Re Gilmore/baseball. He's not rated a top baseball prospect anywhere but this message board. Talk is he throws in the 90s but he went undrafted in last year's MLB draft, a sure sign that's not true. You can bet any MLB team would have taken an 18y/o lefty throwing in the 90s SOMEWHERE in their 50 Round draft. I hope he is good because it'd make UK baseball good too but I imagine he's as much of a baseball project as he is football. This top baseball prospect stuff needs to stop.

You could be right, just going by what I have read, but a high school kid that throws in the 90s sounds like a prospect to me. Regardless, it sounds like his attention has been divided and wanting to play baseball might have been the reason he missed spring practice, no info from me there. In any case he accepted the FOOTBALL scholarship AND UK gave him a scholarship there so they must have liked his potential, which they raved about. And if he does play both he will still count on our football roster thanks to the Bear Bryant rule.

Congratulations, surprised at you. you win my award for the worst post you have ever made.

Uh...Miss St had 2 100 yards rushers in our game. There is no way the better team won that game...which was MSU.

400 yds of offense yielded 13 points. It should have yielded about 44. We outplayed them. Three drops and a missed chippy FG from a blowout.

Sorry, but this strikes me as lazy thinking. First, the situations aren't exactly comparable. USC is on QB3. I don't know their history/depth chart. But we're on at least #4. Clark transfers. Hoak transfers. Wilson hurt. Smith hurt. Scalzo hurt. Wood is next man up, but he's had 3 major surgeries, including 2 evidently on his throwing arm. Hence, we're using a wide receiver at QB. He was awesome, but I'm with those who think that now that there's film, he'll be easier to plan for (not to mention tougher opponents coming up).

I'll agree with you that it's Stoops' job to manage the roster. But he can't be reasonably held accountable for literally anything that might happen. If a meteor strikes the football dorm, you can say he should have had a contingency plan, but......
Not saying we’ll come close to beating GA but a guy as mobile and slippery as LB is awfully hard to scheme for, especially if he can hit on a couple throws early.

You could be right, just going by what I have read, but a high school kid that throws in the 90s sounds like a prospect to me. Regardless, it sounds like his attention has been divided and wanting to play baseball might have been the reason he missed spring practice, no info from me there. In any case he accepted the FOOTBALL scholarship AND UK gave him a scholarship there so they must have liked his potential, which they raved about. And if he does play both he will still count on our football roster thanks to the Bear Bryant rule.
A HS kid who throws in the 90s is definitely a prospect, all the more reason a MLB team takes a chance on him but no MLB team did in the June 2018 draft.

By the way, for those of you wondering, USC's THIRD string QB was a near five star, a 6.0, and his brother came out of nowhere to set records at WSU before his untimely death. We don't have anything close to him when you go through all the injuries to our QBs, all but our true freshman 5.5 PROJECT that missed spring practice have been greatly affected by them.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
-Agreed on Watkins.....but Watkins never had a ride that would impact Drennen in any way.
-UK can't run this Bowden-QB thing the entire game...we won't win 6 games doing so and we'll be relegated to under 100 yards passing a game which plays a part why we've struck out so much on WR recruits the past 2-3 years.
-I've been prepped for a 7 win season even when Terry was healthy....but if we put up a 4 win season....I highly doubt we'll hold more of that recruiting class we've put so much into the past 3 years building to this point. If we crap the bed rest of way, Michigan St, Tenn, Michigan, Penn St, Wisconsin, South Carolina, Florida St, etc.. will be all over Justin Rogers, Rybka, Torrance Davis, Branham, Cummings, etc.. saying "You sure you want to take a chance on those kind of seasons"?
Agreed on Watkins/Drennen just saying that Watkins wasn't going to make or break this class. 100% agree on Bowden, we need Smith back yesterday. The rest of the schedule isn't Arkansas and now teams know better how to prepare for Bowden. We need 6 minimum hopefully 7-8 don't want to lose Rogers etc

Reactions: jauk11

Still no QB at MSU, a pretty desperate situation, and they went with our injured one way too long, not enough time to prep Bowden. Like most recruits acknowledged, the better team did NOT win the Florida game, and look where they are now.

We lost when our true freshman kicker under great pressure missed what should have been an easy field goal, our backup kicked a 50 yarder to help us beat Arky. It happens, Georgia's kicker missed TWO easy attempts to lose their game, and he had been perfect on the year with several very long attempts that were successful, I thought he was an amazing kicker-------before that..

The problem is there are quite a few teams (not all at elite level) that do indeed play true Fr QBs with some success. It isn't so far fetched any more. Maybe Gilmore isn't one of those QBs.....but to be this early in a season and to be this desperate isn't a good thing and to be honest...we've been doing QBs by the skin of our chin for a while now. (get JUCO Wilson, lightly regarded JUCO Stephen Johnson forced into early action 3 years ago in 3rd game of year, etc..).

We need to recruit a develop some QBs and not be in this position so much. We have to be a bottom 3 QB play in SEC the past 7 years do we not?
I've mentioned this before, it really is amazing...since Woodson EVERY UK QB has had injuries that cost them either significant lost PT or their careers except SJ's first year and TW's first year and even then they played hurt. From Fidler to Hartline to Newton to Mossakowski to M Smith to Whitow to Towles to Barker to Scalzo now TW and S Smith. Compare that to U6 and Bridgewater/Jackson who both played 3 years and never busted a pimple.

So why all the injuries? Definitely part of all that can be poor OL play. But some of it too is plain old dumb blind luck. I agree UK needs to pick it up in QB recruiting/development but SJ and TW were more than capable performers. Let's hope all this turns around soon.

Reactions: Mojocat and jauk11

Terrible luck with QBs so far (mostly due to injuries) but didn't we just get a commit from our top target, a four star? And isn't USC's third string true freshman a 6.0, while our freshman that missed spring practice is a 5.5 that the coaches are in love with his POTENTIAL.

Damned if I see what kind of super season Mich St, TN, FSU are having to threaten UK's class.

Terrible luck with QBs so far (mostly due to injuries) but didn't we just get a commit from our top target, a four star? And isn't USC's third string true freshman a 6.0, while our freshman that missed spring practice is a 5.5 that the coaches are in love with his POTENTIAL.

It does sound like Smith will be ready in another week, nice break for him, and we have found another weapon in Bowden, just don't want him there full time.

Geez.

The recruits (plural) have started to bail, BS ONE has bailed that didn't want to be here to start with, a Thug U native that is impressed by their surprising start, one that is pretty shaky if you look at it. Of course our season has been disappointing, but with good reason, our third string QB should have been Scalzo but injuries has taken our first three best options at QB, an the fourth has been held back by a series of injuries also. They knew the FIFTH option was a project, and he didn't get here for spring practice, AND has been dividing he attention between football and baseball where his EXCELLENT arlm makes him a big prospect also. Getting hilm as a commit means we probably got a great pitching prospect IF he doesn't pan out as a QB, and with all the HEALED prospects we will have next year that is what might happen, but they haven't given up on him, they raved about his POTENTIAL.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT