ADVERTISEMENT

If you earn it you get it… unless you’re Antonio Reeves.

Most coaches want to play their best unit, together, every possible second of every game. And, the “Benny” group is not only our best 5, by FAR. But, it was the most efficient lineup, in the country, on both ends of the floor. It was the most efficient lineup that ANY team has put on the floor in the last 3 years. It might not matter in the end, tonight. But, I’ll never understand why our coach seems to go out of his way to not employ this strategy, groundbreaking as it is. Other than just to be a stubborn, petty jerk.

Cal doesn't play Reeves? I have more issue with Wheeler getting ninutes
He doesn’t start Reeves. He doesn’t start our best lineup. It’s just dumb and something a clown like Billy Gillispie would do. It’s like when he started Kahlil Whitney over Immanuel Quickley, it’s just dumb and pointless. Setting the tone and getting off to a good start is important.

He doesn’t start Reeves. He doesn’t start our best lineup. It’s just dumb and something a clown like Billy Gillispie would do. It’s like when he started Kahlil Whitney over Immanuel Quickley, it’s just dumb and pointless. Setting the tone and getting off to a good start is important.
OK, this lineup not working last 3 games

They got off to a nice start on the offensive end. Why are you still bitching?

Most coaches want to play their best unit, together, every possible second of every game. And, the “Benny” group is not only our best 5, by FAR. But, it was the most efficient lineup, in the country, on both ends of the floor. It was the most efficient lineup that ANY team has put on the floor in the last 3 years. It might not matter in the end, tonight. But, I’ll never understand why our coach seems to go out of his way to not employ this strategy, groundbreaking as it is. Other than just to be a stubborn, petty jerk.
My thoughts are, you’re playing a undermanned Vandy team you should beat no problem. You have your main group set and now you need to find that most effective second group and you’ve gotta figure out how to use Wheeler in that second group. This game seems like one of the few we have left where you’ve got such an advantage you can afford to experiment.

No idea if that’s what Cal is doing but I’d be doing something similar. Seemed like he gave the experiments til about the 5 min mark where we started to pull away again.

My thoughts are, you’re playing a undermanned Vandy team you should beat no problem. You have your main group set and now you need to find that most effective second group and you’ve gotta figure out how to use Wheeler in that second group. This game seems like one of the few we have left where you’ve got such an advantage you can afford to experiment.

No idea if that’s what Cal is doing but I’d be doing something similar. Seemed like he gave the experiments til about the 5 min mark where we started to pull away again.
Bravo. Someone bringing some common sense into this thread

Reactions: Graham51

We should have beat South Carolina no problem too. In what world does not playing your best lineup as much as possible make sense? No matter the nonsense, we have fans who will defend it. Y’all prolly defended Mark Coury and Khalil Whitney starting over much better players too.

Reactions: Fox2monk
Bout to win 4 in a row, gotta find something to whine about I guess.
Gotta find something to whine about? No, it’s a legit concern when your coach does something as goofy as not playing your best lineup. Gotta continuously make excuses for the indefensible.

We should have beat South Carolina no problem too. In what world does not playing your best lineup as much as possible make sense? No matter the nonsense, we have fans who will defend it. Y’all prolly defended Mark Coury and Khalil Whitney starting over much better players too.
Who’s defending anything? I just gave my perspective.

The world where it doesn’t make sense to play your best players together the most you possibly can is simply because they can’t play all game. If you never had to sub sure but that’s not basketball. Since we have to sub we would prefer the sub units to be productive, so it’s not unreasonable to try and find that group. Adjusting the starting line up changes the length specific groups will play together and now you may have groups that haven’t played much together.

There's a lot to fault Cal for, but playing freshman players with superior talent and physical skills over other guys early in the season is not one of them IMO. If the Frosh ever hit their stride, our chances to go far in the NCAA tourney rise dramatically.

As we get closer to March, that is when you start sitting the your young players who haven't realized their potential over the course of the season and making sure your best lineup is on the court as much as you possibly can.

JMHO of course.

The last 4 games with Livingston starting
Tennessee UK had 0 points at the 1st TV timeout
Georgia UK had 2 points at the 1st TV timeout
Texas A&M UK had 3 points at the first TV TO
Vanderbilt UK had 4 points at the first tv timeout

Apparently it’s unreasonable to be concerned with slow starts due to starting a bad lineup. My apologies to fans whose feeling get hurt over legitimate criticisms.

Who’s defending anything? I just gave my perspective.

The world where it doesn’t make sense to play your best players together the most you possibly can is simply because they can’t play all game. If you never had to sub sure but that’s not basketball. Since we have to sub we would prefer the sub units to be productive, so it’s not unreasonable to try and find that group. Adjusting the starting line up changes the length specific groups will play together and now you may have groups that haven’t played much together.
Where did I say anything about not substituting? I said you play your best lineup as much as possible, that’s why you start them. Also getting off to the best start possible is important too and a time setter. We’ve gotten off to slow starts every game he’s started during this streak

He’s effective off the bench and plays over 25 minute so who cares?
Do you remember the Kansas state sweet 16 game?

All season nick richards would start, we would get down, then win the rest of the game enough to win a lot of the time.

That game got down like 11-1 then won the rest of the way by 7 when richards played sparingly. But you lose by 2 that way

In the tournament if you start slow you may not win. Don’t get Vandy every night.

Why choose to start in a hole every game?

Where did I say anything about not substituting? I said you play your best lineup as much as possible, that’s why you start them. Also getting off to the best start possible is important too and a time setter. We’ve gotten off to slow starts every game he’s started during this streak
And sadly they aren't working out. We have to change this. Double digits wins aren't enough

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT