ADVERTISEMENT

If you could pick UK's 2 new assistant coaches. Who would you choose?

TopCatCal

Senior
Dec 10, 2012
My 2 would be. Chuck Hays & John Beilein.
Chuck Hays, played center in the NBA at only 6'6"he did it with a very high basketball IQ. He did it positioning. Hays was as fundamentally sound a player as anyone that ever played the game. He would work wonders with our low post players.
John Beilein, We struggle so much with our half court offense. Beilein would solve that problem.

People seems to think that Orlando Antigua is the answer to any recruiting problems we might have. Recruits don't choose a college to play for an assistant coach. They choose a school because of the head coach. Our problem with recruiting over the last few years is the fact that there are schools like Arizona, Kansas, Oregon, Duke, Memphis, LSU, ect.... that's blatantly cheating & buying players. No assistant coach, Orlando Antigua or anyone can fix that.

Reactions: deep3
Chuck Hays, played center in the NBA at only 6'6"he did it with a very high basketball IQ. He did it positioning. Hays was as fundamentally sound a player as anyone that ever played the game. He would work wonders with our low post players.
John Beilein, We struggle so much with our half court offense. Beilein would solve that problem.

People seems to think that Orlando Antigua is the answer to any recruiting problems we might have. Recruits don't choose a college to play for an assistant coach. They choose a school because of the head coach. Our problem with recruiting over the last few years is the fact that there are schools like Arizona, Kansas, Oregon, Duke, Memphis, LSU, ect.... that's blatantly cheating & buying players. No assistant coach, Orlando Antigua or anyone can fix that.
Chuck has never coached may not have the desire to coach and has never recruited.
Beilein is not an assistant coach, he's a head coach.
Did you factor in reality when making those two choices.

With all due respect, imma go with Cal on this one. We don’t need a slug like Beilein in here.

Didn’t we just recently hear that Skyy Clark might head elsewhere because assistant coach Justus is gone?

Reactions: SosaUK87
O and someone similar to Rod Strickland or Strickland himself. Personally, I know of Strick's demons but he knows the game and really helps develop Pg's.
On second thought just go ahead and hire Dejuan Wagner and Jeff Sheppard.

Reactions: EliteBlue
O and someone similar to Rod Strickland or Strickland himself. Personally, I know of Strick's demons but he knows the game and really helps develop Pg's.
On second thought just go ahead and hire Dejuan Wagner and Jeff Sheppard.
Wagner would be someone I could see Cal considering since he loves hiring people he has ties to.

Tons of kids pick colleges to play for the assistant coaches that recruited them. You see it all of the time.

Reactions: Kubballfan
O and a young guy who was successful in the NBA and isn't too far removed from his playing days. Ideally a past UK player, but that isn't a must. I think losing Strickland hurt more than people imagine.

I would say Kenny first, but he deserves to move on. He put his time in here and should probably be an HC somewhere, but it seems like he is doing well at NY.

Chuck has never coached may not have the desire to coach and has never recruited.
Beilein is not an assistant coach, he's a head coach.
Did you factor in reality when making those two choices.
You say that Chuck Hays has never been a coach. Well neither was Billy Donovan when Rick Pitino hired him as an assistant here. I believe Donovan turned out to be a pretty good coach. If Hays would want to get into coaching. You would think that his alma mater would be where he would want to do it at.

And you say that John Beilein is a head coach, not an assistant. My question is. Where is he a head coach at? There’s been ex head coaches for ever that later in their coaching career became assistant coaches. Phil Martelli at Michigan is an example. Some coaches as they get older like Beilein may not like the pressure that goes with being a head coach, and would rather be an assistant.

And as far as reality goes. If I wasn’t being realistic. I would say hire Mark Few & Jay Wright. I believe Chuck Hays & John Beilein might be a realistic possibility.

You say that Chuck Hays has never been a coach. Well neither was Billy Donovan when Rick Pitino hired him as an assistant here. I believe Donovan turned out to be a pretty good coach. If Hays would want to get into coaching. You would think that his alma mater would be where he would want to do it at.

And you say that John Beilein is a head coach, not an assistant. My question is. Where is he a head coach at? There’s been ex head coaches for ever that later in their coaching career became assistant coaches. Phil Martelli at Michigan is an example. Some coaches as they get older like Beilein may not like the pressure that goes with being a head coach, and would rather be an assistant.

And as far as reality goes. If I wasn’t being realistic. I would say hire Mark Few & Jay Wright. I believe Chuck Hays & John Beilein might be a realistic possibility.

Beilein has never been an assistant coach at any point in his life and he's a control freak--that wouldn't mesh well with a guy like Cal. I'm not criticizing Beilein because he was a successful HC, just saying he did everything at practices and assistants didn't do much. It's why his hire at the NBA level was a disaster--he was freaking out and trying to control Summer League games and Cavs Management realized then it was never going to work but figured if they pulled him from that duty and let him watch/talked with him, maybe it'd change. But it was worse when regular season started.

Key components for an assistant coach is the ability to recruit, player development, and player relations. Not always in that order either. In fact many Assistants are just good with recruiting/player relations but Antigua/Coleman are strong with player development as well.

If we miss out on 1 of Orlando Antigua, or Chin Coleman, I would go after Keith Bogans. He has been an assistant coach for the knicks since 2019

Last edited:
Reactions: c1doc

John and Brad Calipari. One earned and one given. Cal would be a great assistant / head recruiter to a good game coach.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT