ADVERTISEMENT

If you could ask Cal one thing...

I think it would be cool to ask questions about decisions or strategies that he’s made in games that I didn’t agree with or didn’t understand. Hearing his side of things could be a good way of learning more about the game and change someone’s perspective on something.

I think it would be cool to ask questions about decisions or strategies that he’s made in games that I didn’t agree with or didn’t understand. Hearing his side of things could be a good way of learning more about the game and change someone’s perspective on something.
You have the benefit of hindsight.

6k4113.jpg

Can I come as a volunteer and help coach ?? I would gladly do so without pay, do not care to sit on the bench or travel to road games. I would like to offer some advice, but more so, I would simply like to work with players individually. I am retired, have the time and think I can help make a difference. I can motivate.

B
What's your point?

He doesn't watch film, doesn't prepare for specific opponents, doesn't adjust on defense, doesn't run inbounds plays, doesn't call timeouts, etc.

How many games could he have won if he put some effort into it?
But somehow he won all those games.

B

But somehow he won all those games.
You can't deny that there's a lot of meaningful games that could have potentially been won with, what many here to be obvious, adjustments. Surely even you can admit that. Cal is a few good things that made him a HOFer, but being a masterful in-game Xs&0er isn't in bold print on that HOF resume.

Neither of your comments refuted anything I said.
You have no idea what he does to prepare for a game. You have no idea what he does during timeouts. Or half time. You claim he does nothing but somehow wins at a hall of fame level.

You can't deny that there's a lot of meaningful games that could have potentially been won with, what many here to be obvious, adjustments. Surely even you can admit that. Cal is a few good things that made him a HOFer, but being a masterful in-game Xs&0er isn't in bold print on that HOF resume.
In hindsight it’s easy to say what he should have done differently

I don't think ED can do that...too buried in the Calipari love.

You have no idea what he does to prepare for a game. You have no idea what he does during timeouts. Or half time. You claim he does nothing but somehow wins at a hall of fame level.
This is a thread about questions we'd like to ask. And I'd like to hear his answer.

And you still aren't refuting anything. Give it up.

I'd like to ask him why such a short leash and a quick substitution for certain players over the years who don't get quality minutes before they get into the actual flow of the game.

Doesn't seem like the best way for players to build individual confidence or overall team depth.

Sometimes seems the players are more tied up trying to not make a mistake rather than just playing the game.

That doesn't seem to be the best strategy to maximize individual growth and it also seems to stunt the potential of the team over the coarse of the season.

Reactions: jjhagan7
One more.

Can the players be taught to "GO" in practice time so you don't have to yell it so much during the actual games.

If they can be taught to screen and roll 30 feet from the basket they can be taught to push immediately at change of possession.

:)

Reactions: know1
if he actually gives a sh*t about what the cry babies of the fan base have to say on social media....

All of them are internet cowboys and would ask him for his autograph if they ran into him on the street. lol

What's your point?

He doesn't watch film, doesn't prepare for specific opponents, doesn't adjust on defense, doesn't run inbounds plays, doesn't call timeouts, etc.

How many games could he have won if he put some effort into it?

That's a hell of a lot of wins for a coach that doesn't do those above things.

Maybe he actually DOES those things lol.

Reactions: Ed323232
I'd like to just ask him about his over tenure at UK.

I'm just curious because coming into this, it was his dream job. He mentioned he was upset that UK didn't come calling when Tubby left.

I just wonder if after being here 12 years, if he still feels that way. Was it what he expected it to be.

A lot of people talk about "dream jobs" only to get that job and find out maybe it wasn't all cracked up to how they saw it in their head.

None of you recreants would have the guts to ask any of those condescending questions in person lol.
I don’t think mine was condescending at all. And I wouldn’t have a problem asking that in person.

He wouldn’t like it. But let’s be real. He has a public facing job; his job performance is measured in a public record.

If he can’t answer honest or open criticism maybe he shouldn’t be the coach anymore.

I remember that part. Always figured there was an interesting story behind the scenes.
Yep. And he thought he has a shot at going 40-0 with that team. And I think he’s been “depressed” ever since. He got it back in the Fox and Monk team. But then he got Higginsed and it’s been meh sledding since.

I'd like to just ask him about his over tenure at UK.

I'm just curious because coming into this, it was his dream job. He mentioned he was upset that UK didn't come calling when Tubby left.

I just wonder if after being here 12 years, if he still feels that way. Was it what he expected it to be.

A lot of people talk about "dream jobs" only to get that job and find out maybe it wasn't all cracked up to how they saw it in their head.
I think he’s deciding how to exit. I think if he can’t win the title or get real close this year he’s going to be heavily pressured to go. If he gets close (FF) I think the following season will be it regardless.

That's a hell of a lot of wins for a coach that doesn't do those above things.

Maybe he actually DOES those things lol.
IF he actually does those things, then he is an habitual liar. Which is worse than an incompetent coach IMO.
Fans aren't making those statements up out of thin air. They actually came out of Cal's mouth.......on multiple occasions.....usually after losing to a team we should absolutely never lose a game to.

I tend to agree with you. He actually does those things (some of the time) and we continue to lose to teams we shouldn't.

Cal's never gonna say "I coached them up and we still lost." His ego couldn't handle that kind of humble pie.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
IF he actually does those things, then he is an habitual liar. Which is worse than an incompetent coach IMO.
Fans aren't making those statements up out of thin air. They actually came out of Cal's mouth.......on multiple occasions.....usually after losing to a team we should absolutely never lose a game to.

I tend to agree with you. He actually does those things (some of the time) and we continue to lose to teams we shouldn't.

Cal's never gonna say "I coached them up and we still lost." His ego couldn't handle that kind of humble pie.

I think he just rambles from time to time.

Like the point about not watching film. He's said that. But he's also said on several occasions that he has watched film as well.

I tend not to put a whole lot of stock in what he says.

But I think common sense would suggest he's not just rolling balls out there. You don't win nearly 800 games with being able to coach. He didn't just luck into this wins.

Reactions: cathouse
I think he just rambles from time to time.

Like the point about not watching film. He's said that. But he's also said on several occasions that he has watched film as well.

I tend not to put a whole lot of stock in what he says.

But I think common sense would suggest he's not just rolling balls out there. You don't win nearly 800 games with being able to coach. He didn't just luck into this wins.
I agree with the rambling part. Cal is almost incoherent at times.

I really think Cal hates losing as bad as most fans, he just doesn't know what to say when he loses a game he knows he shouldn't have lost........so he rambles on about stuff.

I have mostly stopped listening to Cal, especially after a loss. Better for my mental health and my attitude.

Reactions: The_Answer1313
I agree with the rambling part. Cal is almost incoherent at times.

I really think Cal hates losing as bad as most fans, he just doesn't know what to say when he loses a game he knows he shouldn't have lost........so he rambles on about stuff.

I have mostly stopped listening to Cal, especially after a loss. Better for my mental health and my attitude.

Exactly. I don't put a whole lot of stock into what he says anymore.

The sad part is he wouldn't answer with a yes or no he'd go into some other spew on another subject and you'd never get your answer.

Yep. That’s why I said make him answer yes or no. So when he’s done bullshitting everyone in the room, say “ so was that a yes or a no coach, if it’s okay for shaedon to do, is it okay for Oscar and Wallace to do this season”.

People that are okay with how Sharpe was handled don’t seem to understand slippery slopes nor do they understand logic. If it’s okay for sharpe to do that, it’s okay for EVERY PLAYER to do it. This is never discussed at all and surprises me.

Yep. That’s why I said make him answer yes or no. So when he’s done bullshitting everyone in the room, say “ so was that a yes or a no coach, if it’s okay for shaedon to do, is it okay for Oscar and Wallace to do this season”.

People that are okay with how Sharpe was handled don’t seem to understand slippery slopes nor do they understand logic. If it’s okay for sharpe to do that, it’s okay for EVERY PLAYER to do it. This is never discussed at all and surprises me.
You know quite a few have seen this for a long time, some have just recently opened their eyes over the last few years, and then there will be some that will here soon. He is what he is a car salesmen honestly he needs to be forced out. It won't ever get any better with him as the head coach. Mitch don't have the courage to do it heck he just kept a baseball coach that hasn't made the playoffs but a couple of times in 6 years. That was at the beginning of his tenure when he still had the previous staff's players. Dude doesn't have what it takes to make difficult decisions but he can make the easy decisions by giving out extensions and lifetime contracts!

ADVERTISEMENT