ADVERTISEMENT

If we were to get all three back...

Maybe you are what you say,I'll take it at face value because
it doesn't change the issue at hand:

Everyone mostly agrees that last years's team had low basketball IQ.Will they magically be that much smarter by day one of next year?

The team last season was young but so has every team Cal has had here,looking at their total body of work they weren't very successful by Cal/UK standards.We caught a good draw in the SECT and benefited from upsets in the NCAAT,when it came time to take advantage of a gift wrapped trip to the Final Four we came up short because the team wasn't very good

If next years team is going to be improved as much as you imply it wil be because the incoming players fill the many holes that last year's team had.If it happens Vanderbilt will have to stay healthy,Gabriel will give us about what he did last year(maybe a little better) Clearly Washington's priority is to find a way out just as was Diallo's last season.

Hopefully the team is better next year but that hope rests on the backs of players we haven't seen play as of yet more than the 3 yet to make up their minds about returning.Yes we need at least 2 back in order to have enough warm bodies and a better balance of front and back court players.Saying we will be all world or best ever if all 3 return is just wrong even if you are Coach Rupp reincarnated
Thanks for the reply without being rude, that is hard to get on this forum. All I am saying is if all the stars were to fall in to place, as in Hagans reclassifies; all 3 of our guys come back, or 2 come back and we get reid travis; if Vanderbilt stays healthy; If all those things shake into place, we will have a loaded roster.

Think back to how bad we were in 2014, yes we went on a magical tourney run,but that season itself was a lot like the one we just experienced. The next year however we got a lot of those guys back and those bad players from the previous year, nearly led us to an undefeated season. So,my point is, even though we were not great by any means last year, the returning guys will be much better this time around. Also, why are yo just assuming that Wenyen will not improve at all or not very much? He is a 6"10 silky three point shooter who gives max effort all the time. If Vanerbilt stays healthy all year the guy will be a beast.

So bottom line for me is this, if you are wanting to discount next years team because of what happened last year, then visit our history under Cal. Look at the seasons that have been struggles and when most of that team comes back the following year, check the results. The point is, next year will be just like those other years if all come back that should and we stay injury free.

Some real thick blue lenses you have on. Again, I hope you are right
Ahhh, I am usually the guy who is very critical of Cal. I feel that he has greatly underachieved here. I just think next year has the chance to be really good. Mostly though I view through a voluntary pessimistic lens.

Reactions: mrbud
Ahhh, I am usually the guy who is very critical of Cal. I feel that he has greatly underachieved here. I just think next year has the chance to be really good. Mostly though I view through a voluntary pessimistic lens.

Underachieved???? Based on?

lmao...the 4th best team cal has had if we get everyone back?! That is a ludicrous take; and my god can some of you people knock this troll crap off? Gee whiz its old already.

They are 4th. I'm pumped about this team too but they are 4th. It's pretty simple. You starting this thread implying they are tops among Cal's teams here is ludicrous. But yea I'm excited about the team too

Reactions: Aike and brianpoe
Underachieved???? Based on?
Just based on the overwhelming talent we have had. I like Cal a lot, but I am a Kentucky Wildcat fan first, unlike others on here. Bottom line is this, Cal has blown many opportunities for more rings. We had the nations best roster his 1st year with Wall and Cousins, no championship, we had the best roster in 2015, no championship, we struggled in 2014 and Arron Harrison went superman in the tourney and got us to the title game, but we get beat by the worst championship team of all time somehow, point being, no championship that year either.
I feel we also had the best roster in 2017, but I won't include that one because UNC's roster was just as good and we would have beaten them if not for that disgraceful referee in my opinion. The point here, if you do not think Cal has underachieved in comparison to the talent he has had, then you have an agenda or you are wearing Cal tinted glasses.
Please guys don't come at me with all the final fours we have been to, I want titles instead. Cal started all of this by implying we were gonna catch UCLA, so don't tell me my standards are too high either.

2015 BP (before poy injury) had the potential to be a devastating team, maybe one of the best in history. 2012 was a fabulous ball club. Cal’s first year was also a very good team.

With those three returning, we’ll be good. Maybe even good enough to contend for a shot at all the marbles? Cal’s best tesm? Without bashing a team that has not and may never take the floor, there is a massive amount of work to be done.

Reactions: KyFaninNC
That team was great, but this team would be way deeper than that team. It would be loaded at every position essentially. Like I said,it may not be loaded with nba players, but it would make a great college roster in my opinion.
Idgaf about loaded I care about championships.

Reactions: KyFaninNC
Just based on the overwhelming talent we have had. I like Cal a lot, but I am a Kentucky Wildcat fan first, unlike others on here. Bottom line is this, Cal has blown many opportunities for more rings. We had the nations best roster his 1st year with Wall and Cousins, no championship, we had the best roster in 2015, no championship, we struggled in 2014 and Arron Harrison went superman in the tourney and got us to the title game, but we get beat by the worst championship team of all time somehow, point being, no championship that year either.
I feel we also had the best roster in 2017, but I won't include that one because UNC's roster was just as good and we would have beaten them if not for that disgraceful referee in my opinion. The point here, if you do not think Cal has underachieved in comparison to the talent he has had, then you have an agenda or you are wearing Cal tinted glasses.
Please guys don't come at me with all the final fours we have been to, I want titles instead. Cal started all of this by implying we were gonna catch UCLA, so don't tell me my standards are too high either.

Complete BS. Total! First, the age considerations are huge. Second the post screams of ignorance regarding the mechanics of the tourney. It completely ignores injuries. There are many other considerations which the poster conveniently ignores.

I’m left to conclude we either have another Cal hater in our midst or simply a reincarnation of a past troll.

Complete BS. Total! First, the age considerations are huge. Second the post screams of ignorance regarding the mechanics of the tourney. It completely ignores injuries. There are many other considerations which the poster conveniently ignores.

I’m left to conclude we either have another Cal hater in our midst or simply a reincarnation of a past troll.
Most think he’s UMM which he would be having a conversation with himself in this thread alone lmao

Reactions: kybassfan
Haven't read teh entire thread...not sure if it's been mentioned, but if all 3 return, we will have to platoon next year...no way around it. I'm good with that.
Didn’t Cal say he would never platoon again? Yes, he did. Any questions now why these guys are leaving when they are not nearly ready?

Is there a place in your wrapped mind that has room for the notion that not everyone that has criticisms of Cal, hates him? Maybe, just maybe we like Cal and want him as our coach, but we would like to see him put more emphasis on winning titles for UK and less on draft picks for the pros?

Just because we don’t slurp on his gonads don’t mean we hate him.

So his last thread we roast the OP for posting so many passive aggressive negative threads......... and now he overcorrects and thinks pulling a caneintally like thread will get us off his trail of pathetic posting.

If these returning players were all world enough to come close to a davis, wall, cousins or towns...etc.... maybe they would of beaten K State and not had 10+ losses on the season......

If Vanderbilt, Washington, and Gabriel return then I could accept the struggles from last year. The biggest improvement for players is, anecdotally, between freshmen and sophomore years. Having the experience of Green, Vanderbilt, Washington, and Gabriel to add to the (assumed) shooting of Herro and Baker as well as whatever attributes makes Hagans the best point guard of his class (I admittedly know little about him), as well as the assumed inside presence of Montgomery should be a pretty good combination.

If we end up having the struggles we did last year and still lose everyone to the draft, then last season was a complete, near unwatchable disaster.

I'll be very quick to refer back to this absolutely ridiculously moronic post. Yes Vando is a monster, been following his game a long time, I understand why some people doubt him, but he never had time to get adjusted and comfortable. When he does, he will without a doubt be a force in offense, defense he's already a force. Him alongside Reid and EJ will make up the best frontcourt in country. Vando if healthy will be an All American. Yes Reid played on an 18-15 team that had a dreadful start to the season due to injuries and finished well. Care to talk about the individual and his stats? Tons of shooters? Without a doubt.

Idc if they haven't played a college game or not it doesn't take a freaking rocket scientist to see that Herro and JB are absolutely dead eye shooters. Quade is a damn good shooter, Quickly is a real good shooter. KJ is an underrated shooter. Yea I definitely expect great shooting next season. Couldn't beat a bad KSU team? So next years team apparently can be judged in any way shape or form on this years team's loss to KSU? That seems to be an absolutely ridiculously outlandish way to judge a cal team.

Poor defenders? We were best 3 point defensive team in the country for most of last season, we were one of the best FG percentage teams in the country as well. Most of our issues came from the offensive end. It is also well documented that KJ and Hagans will come in and be some of the best defenders in the game from day one. Vando has already proven to be an elite defensive player, when he was on the floor, he showed he was the best defensive player we've had since Noel/AD. So that's 3 top notch elite defenders right there.

Best passing team? Absolutely! Hagans is an amazing passer, Vando is an amazing passer. Oh and there's 2 more point guards on the roster who aren't too shabby at passing themselves in QG and IQ. JB played a lot of point and is a good passer as well. So yea, I see this easily being our best passing team as we have great passers at every position. KJ and Herro are real good passers in each's own right as well. EJ is also a real good passer.

Yes, I'll take a frontcourt consisting of Reid, Vando, and EJ over any other frontcourt in CBB next season without a doubt. I say this because I know if healthy for a full season, vando will be an All American. We won't be the best shotnlocking team, but I expect Richards to do a solid job at protecting the rim, Vando showed he was real good at defending the paint and perimeter himself, and EJ could be better than expected at shot blocking. As always we'll definitely be one of the better shot blocking teams in the country.

Best backcourt? Yea. I'll definitely take QG, AH, TH, JB, IQ, and KJ over anyone else. You're talking about next years team as if they're a fringe top 25 team at best. Laughable. I'm joking? We'll see what the joke is by midseason, I'll be sure to bookmark this for future reference for the giggles I'll get. I told everyone last season that Vando would be best rebounder in CBB the second he steps on the floor, people called me stupid for saying that about a player who hasn't played. I know a lot about all of these players, and on paper with these players in next years down season in CBB.

I'll definitely take our team over anyone else and not even close. Yea you can pretend we are full of bad passers, terrible shooters, terrible BBall IQ all you want. You couldn't be more wrong, have your fun now, you think being absolutely ridiculously negative by putting a worst case spin on everything that I promise you is an absolute impossibility of happening in regards to what you're saying about next years team and what to expect.

I'll keep my realistic spin on things myself tht are very likely to happen considering I know these players games and know what to expect. And it's lockdown defense, raining 3's, and terrific passing to go with top notch bball IQ and rebounding, basically the exact opposite of what you said to expect. Have your fun being negative now. But it will come off as pure stupidity come December and I promise you that.
Dre just because you have been studying the guys and think you know what to expect isn't a guarantee that it will happen that way. You have seen these guys playing high school ball where they may play against 5 or 6 guys that have the talent to play power 5 Division 1 a year, now they will be playing whole teams of that caliber of talent with experience most games. Chances are that maybe things they did in HS will be taken away or at least contested consistently which will alter results until they get comfy like most freshmen.
You say it is well documented that Hagans and Johnson will come in and be some of the best defenders in CBB, but in truth it is stated they are some of the best HS defenders, big time diffe rence. And IMO Vanderbilt is just a okay defender that fouls to much and takes chances that lead to to many easy buckets by the player he was defending, saw it happen every game he played last year, go back and rewatch it and you will see what I'm talking about. He is definitely elite rebounder and passer tho. Plus Reid has not even said anything about transferring, some media guys have, much less coming here.
So starting a thread with these kinds of absolutes that aren't really that, is where the ridicule comes from. Really hope you are right and can have your giggles, but with all your stated absolutes, that are really opinions, that have to happen I just think chances are slim. Good luck dude.

So his last thread we roast the OP for posting so many passive aggressive negative threads......... and now he overcorrects and thinks pulling a caneintally like thread will get us off his trail of pathetic posting.

If these returning players were all world enough to come close to a davis, wall, cousins or towns...etc.... maybe they would of beaten K State and not had 10+ losses on the season......
This is the point,these players aren't all world enough to cause such prolonged drama.What(or who) the OP is or is not doesn't matter. The three in question are less talented than Wall,Cousins,Towns etc,etc.They also seem to be less invested in taking care of the business at hand or being here for that matter. Do we expect that to change if any of them return?

Maybe I just don't get the whole troll thing,I post here because I am a life long UK fan and enjoy conversation,information and contact with other UK fans. I like a little humor along the way but I post what I think without agenda or false pretenses

They(players) will either stay or go and we will have some type of team next year.We will have a deep roster or we will be thin in spots that is about all we know right now.

I'll be very quick to refer back to this absolutely ridiculously moronic post. Yes Vando is a monster, been following his game a long time, I understand why some people doubt him, but he never had time to get adjusted and comfortable. When he does, he will without a doubt be a force in offense, defense he's already a force. Him alongside Reid and EJ will make up the best frontcourt in country. Vando if healthy will be an All American. Yes Reid played on an 18-15 team that had a dreadful start to the season due to injuries and finished well. Care to talk about the individual and his stats? Tons of shooters? Without a doubt.

Idc if they haven't played a college game or not it doesn't take a freaking rocket scientist to see that Herro and JB are absolutely dead eye shooters. Quade is a damn good shooter, Quickly is a real good shooter. KJ is an underrated shooter. Yea I definitely expect great shooting next season. Couldn't beat a bad KSU team? So next years team apparently can be judged in any way shape or form on this years team's loss to KSU? That seems to be an absolutely ridiculously outlandish way to judge a cal team.

Poor defenders? We were best 3 point defensive team in the country for most of last season, we were one of the best FG percentage teams in the country as well. Most of our issues came from the offensive end. It is also well documented that KJ and Hagans will come in and be some of the best defenders in the game from day one. Vando has already proven to be an elite defensive player, when he was on the floor, he showed he was the best defensive player we've had since Noel/AD. So that's 3 top notch elite defenders right there.

Best passing team? Absolutely! Hagans is an amazing passer, Vando is an amazing passer. Oh and there's 2 more point guards on the roster who aren't too shabby at passing themselves in QG and IQ. JB played a lot of point and is a good passer as well. So yea, I see this easily being our best passing team as we have great passers at every position. KJ and Herro are real good passers in each's own right as well. EJ is also a real good passer.

Yes, I'll take a frontcourt consisting of Reid, Vando, and EJ over any other frontcourt in CBB next season without a doubt. I say this because I know if healthy for a full season, vando will be an All American. We won't be the best shotnlocking team, but I expect Richards to do a solid job at protecting the rim, Vando showed he was real good at defending the paint and perimeter himself, and EJ could be better than expected at shot blocking. As always we'll definitely be one of the better shot blocking teams in the country.

Best backcourt? Yea. I'll definitely take QG, AH, TH, JB, IQ, and KJ over anyone else. You're talking about next years team as if they're a fringe top 25 team at best. Laughable. I'm joking? We'll see what the joke is by midseason, I'll be sure to bookmark this for future reference for the giggles I'll get. I told everyone last season that Vando would be best rebounder in CBB the second he steps on the floor, people called me stupid for saying that about a player who hasn't played. I know a lot about all of these players, and on paper with these players in next years down season in CBB.

I'll definitely take our team over anyone else and not even close. Yea you can pretend we are full of bad passers, terrible shooters, terrible BBall IQ all you want. You couldn't be more wrong, have your fun now, you think being absolutely ridiculously negative by putting a worst case spin on everything that I promise you is an absolute impossibility of happening in regards to what you're saying about next years team and what to expect.

I'll keep my realistic spin on things myself tht are very likely to happen considering I know these players games and know what to expect. And it's lockdown defense, raining 3's, and terrific passing to go with top notch bball IQ and rebounding, basically the exact opposite of what you said to expect. Have your fun being negative now. But it will come off as pure stupidity come December and I promise you that.

I hope we have a very solid team next season.

And we may do very well, college basketball has sucked pretty bad and isn't getting much better thus we definitley have a great shot if all 3 do return.

You have only been here one month and have zero idea who you are talking to, yet you toss around moronic and stupidity like you actually know something.

You make yourself look petty with this on top of the hype you typed like a teenager.

The truth is, we were not very good last season.

Vanderbilt has loads of talent and his rebounding alone could get him AA status. His offense is absolutely horrible. You may think he will improve drastically becoming a terrific scorer and he might. But to state he definitley will and shit on others who disagree is childish.

The team IQ this past season was the worst ever for Cal, that is not the easiest thing to improve. I wholeheartedly agree that our kids will be better simply with a year of experience.

You cannot demand that everyone believes we will have the best backcourt and frontcourt in CBB or best of all time just because you do.

The only way to judge a Cal team is at the end of the season if you have actually ever watched UK basketball.

Our defense was not great in many aspects, opponents missing 3's is great, how about keeping offensive players in front of us? How about a rim protector... oh thats right according to you Richards will be come Nerlens over the summer.

You demanding that we all believe that a bunch of freshmen, none of which is considered elite, will be the greatest shooters, passers and defenders ever is what is moronic.

Your over hyping is simply juvenile and the fact you have to respond like a whiny ass because your post was called out speaks even more to your child-like fandom.

The fact is, we dont need every single player to be better than Jordan and Kobe to be really good.

You make some good points but expectations from you are beyond reasonable and simply not necessary. Try to learn to express your opinion as an opinion and be willing to debate those who may not totally agree without acting like a 12 year old and this could be an interesting thread.

Last edited:

Come on Mods, obvious troll. No one could be this dumb

Reactions: Aike
Really. I would bet I have much more education than you.
Just the fact that you said that guarantees me you don't...lol...people with a lot of education never tell others that they have more education than them..Thanks for the chuckle though pal.

Just the fact that you said that guarantees me you don't...lol...people with a lot of education never tell others that they have more education than them..Thanks for the chuckle though pal.
Really. I did not say I have a lot of education. I just bet I have more than you. Want to take that bet?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT