ADVERTISEMENT

If we offered Reed Sheppard...

Uncle Adolph

Junior
Aug 9, 2019
Would he go ahead and accept ?
I know much of our fan base wants him
His Mom and Dad played here
But does he really want to come here or is he wide open ?

Would he go ahead and accept ?
I know much of our fan base wants him
His Mom and Dad played here
But does he really want to come here or is he wide open ?
He’s going to consider whether the play style here offers him the same opportunity to show his ability verses somewhere else.

The only person who knows that is Reed himself, and he’s still a teenager so quite capable of changing his mind.

But Cal will not offer him this early unless Reed becomes #1 in the country, so the point is moot.

All I know is this fan base will be unbearable when he comes here. Shoukd just get it out of the way now- "he just needs more time"

Reactions: Cal-4-Three
I'm guessing depends on how likely he thinks it is he will play. If he thinks it is a token offer, and thus won't play much, then probably no. If he thinks they "want him", that he will play, even if not as a FR, then I think there is a good chance he would. So he may be a year away from knowing/deciding. So I don't think we (UK) should offer now, but I do think we should be actively recruiting him just like anyone else we like.

I just want to see him get an offer and then it’s his choice.

If Cal passes on him and he turns out to be a great player, it will look really bad for Cal.

We are not talking about a 3-star or D-II level player. This is a high major D-1 recruit who is not only from Kentucky, but is a double legacy.

The flack Tubby caught for not signing Lofton will pale in comparison to what Cal will face if he doesn’t offer Shep 2.0 (and he succeeds at another school).

I don't know the answer to this so I'll pose it here. How many non five star players has Cal's staff actively recruited while they were a sophomore?

Reactions: Atrain7732
I just want to see him get an offer and then it’s his choice.

If Cal passes on him and he turns out to be a great player, it will look really bad for Cal.

We are not talking about a 3-star or D-II level player. This is a high major D-1 recruit who is not only from Kentucky, but is a double legacy.

The flack Tubby caught for not signing Lofton will pale in comparison to what Cal will face if he doesn’t offer Shep 2.0 (and he succeeds at another school).
Exactly. Should be a no brainer for Cal and staff. If UK offers and he passes, nothing you can do, but if you don't offer, then it's on UK.

I think he would be smart to weigh all options. That said would like to see him come to Uk and stay a couple of years and see a couple of deep tourney runs.

Reactions: Zissou87
Cal is in a no win situation here unless the kid commits here and is like John Wall. Otherwise the fans will be unbearable with the "He needs more playing time" crap.
Disagree.

Getting him on campus and at least giving him a shot is a much better option than him going elsewhere and being good.

He doesn’t have to be John Wall. I would be happy if he is Dom Hawkins and plays sparingly. I just want to see him in blue.

Apparently Matt Jones made some on-air comments about a portion of the UK fanbase only wanting Reed because he is white. There was a thread posted to this board which included a link to the KSR podcast where you could hear his actual comments. That thread was taken down. Don't know if the subject is taboo or links to KSR-related stuff is no longer allowed.
At any rate, here was my comment that I typed out and tried to load, only to find the thread had been deleted...

MJ has become a complete douchebag. Hell, maybe he's always been one. But, his success, coupled with his far-left political leanings have given him access to certain places in society that may have caused him to overvalue his importance.
I have no doubt that he regards a good portion of the Kentucky fan base as a bunch of hillbilly, redneck racists. There are several who post here (and no doubt will in this thread) who think along the same lines. People like that (including MJ apparently) have a built-in mental defect that causes them to carry a air of elitist condescending snobbery toward those they see as 'beneath them' culturally and intellectually.
The very first reasons that come to mind as why I would want RS at UK is because of his parents and the fact that he's a in-state kid with more than a little talent. If he were black, I'd still feel the same way. I like to think it means more to KY kids and then adding the fact that he is a legacy recruit makes him even more popular.
I stopped listening to MJ and KSR because of stuff like this early last year. I certainly have no regrets.

Apparently Matt Jones made some on-air comments about a portion of the UK fanbase only wanting Reed because he is white. There was a thread posted to this board which included a link to the KSR podcast where you could hear his actual comments. That thread was taken down. Don't know if the subject is taboo or links to KSR-related stuff is no longer allowed.
At any rate, here was my comment that I typed out and tried to load, only to find the thread had been deleted...

MJ has become a complete douchebag. Hell, maybe he's always been one. But, his success, coupled with his far-left political leanings have given him access to certain places in society that may have caused him to overvalue his importance.
I have no doubt that he regards a good portion of the Kentucky fan base as a bunch of hillbilly, redneck racists. There are several who post here (and no doubt will in this thread) who think along the same lines. People like that (including MJ apparently) have a built-in mental defect that causes them to carry a air of elitist condescending snobbery toward those they see as 'beneath them' culturally and intellectually.
The very first reasons that come to mind as why I would want RS at UK is because of his parents and the fact that he's a in-state kid with more than a little talent. If he were black, I'd still feel the same way. I like to think it means more to KY kids and then adding the fact that he is a legacy recruit makes him even more popular.
I stopped listening to MJ and KSR because of stuff like this early last year. I certainly have no regrets.
He definitely comes across as a complete snob. In no fashion was that necessary to bring up on any radio show. Plain stupid.

Jones is a joke and thinks everything relates to race just like all libs do. If you like or don't like someone it's because of race. If you agree or disargee with someone it's because of race. Folks like that are a plague on this country and it's why I don't like Jones or his danglers.
They push stuff like that to gin up folks and because they have nothing else to offer. Pathetic.

Jones is a joke and thinks everything relates to race just like all libs do. If you like or don't like someone it's because of race. If you agree or disargee with someone it's because of race. Folks like that are a plague on this country and it's why I don't like Jones or his danglers.
They push stuff like that to gin up folks and because they have nothing else to offer. Pathetic.
I've rarely heard Jones talk about race

What he said isn't false though
Are you telling me that you don't know any uk fans that talk about wanting white boys? Cause if ya say no you are a liar. They're on here.

Now that isn't limiting Reed to only race driven, the kid can play. But don't act like he was terribly wrong when he was in fact ,spot on

Reactions: 420grover
I've rarely heard Jones talk about race

What he said isn't false though
Are you telling me that you don't know any uk fans that talk about wanting white boys? Cause if ya say no you are a liar. They're on here.

Now that isn't limiting Reed to only race driven, the kid can play. But don't act like he was terribly wrong when he was in fact ,spot on
He's wrong and you're wrong. But then again, you're wrong on here all the time so nothng new about that.

Dontaie Allen is as beloved as any other UK kid. So was Darius Miller. Dominique Hawkins. The only one who cares about race is hucksters like you. Just another mouth with nothing to say.

Disagree.

Getting him on campus and at least giving him a shot is a much better option than him going elsewhere and being good.

He doesn’t have to be John Wall. I would be happy if he is Dom Hawkins and plays sparingly. I just want to see him in blue.
People here already actually like Allen is a John wall caliber player. He is in a no win situation. I do hope Reed ends up in a UK uniform alongside some ELITE 5 stars, not average ones

And if you deny that a significant portion of this fan base is racist then you're being just as dishonest as those who see race in everything. Case in point, this state voted for Trump who routinely trashed are military, even former POW McCain (sp) and yet they went bat sh1t crazy over a peaceful protest of kneeling during a song claiming that they were disrespecting our veterans. One, who happens to be white, actively trashed our military, the players, who are mostly black, didn't say anything disparaging about the military but they did protest during the anthem. You've got to do some mental gymnastics to say that difference is caused by anything but color of skin.

I dont waste my time on people like you.
Dont care if you label whatever you like.
No point in trying to engage someone with your mentality.
I dont care if you believe me or not.
Just wave at folks like you and keep on walking. Nothing to be gained by trying to talk with you. Have a nice day.

Highly hypothetical but I know for sure Sheppard would say yes to a UK offer. No way in the world now would Cal offer without knowing in advance the answer was yes, lol

Disagree.

If he's not better than Dom ill be shocked...Can he be as good as dad was

If he's not better than Dom ill be shocked...Can he be as good as dad was
He’s a 4-star compared to Dom being a 3-star, so I think he could at least equal Dom if he plays 4 years like Dom.

I would be fine with that. Or maybe a Willis type career where he is a part time starter by his Senior year.

Or he could have a Darius Miller type career. I would be ecstatic.

No one should expect him to be John Wall good. That’s unrealistic for 99% of our players.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
He's wrong and you're wrong. But then again, you're wrong on here all the time so nothng new about that.

Dontaie Allen is as beloved as any other UK kid. So was Darius Miller. Dominique Hawkins. The only one who cares about race is hucksters like you. Just another mouth with nothing to say.
I’m in southeastern Kentucky, lived here my whole life. I can tell you this with 110% certainly. Kentucky fans covet 2 types of players over all others:

1. In-state kids
2. White kids

Reed shepherd is both. On top of that, his daddy is a legend here. So he’s basically a Kentucky fan’s wet dream. What I just said is indisputable. If anyone tries to dispute it then I’ll just assume you haven’t spent any time in our great state.

Reactions: Chuckinden
I’m in southeastern Kentucky, lived here my whole life. I can tell you this with 110% certainly. Kentucky fans covet 2 types of players over all others:

1. In-state kids
2. White kids

Reed shepherd is both. On top of that, his daddy is a legend here. So he’s basically a Kentucky fan’s wet dream. What I just said is indisputable. If anyone tries to dispute it then I’ll just assume you haven’t spent any time in our great state.
Grew up in SE Ky. Hate to tell you, but not everyone shares your gross view. You may not be aware they there are black folk in SE Ky too.
You can sound all authoritive if you want. Doesn't make you right, but it does make you a bigot and judgemental.
There is not a more popular and beloved player in UK history and Jack Givens.
Sounds like you are the one with the problem, but are trying to blame others for your awful views on people.

Grew up in SE Ky. Hate to tell you, but not everyone shares your gross view. You may not be aware they there are black folk in SE Ky too.
You can sound all authoritive if you want. Doesn't make you right, but it does make you a bigot and judgemental.
There is not a more popular and beloved player in UK history and Jack Givens.
Sounds like you are the one with the problem, but are trying to blame others for your awful views on people.
Alright buddy. Make sure you pull your head out of the sand long enough to breath. Lol.

it’s not my opinion ding dong. I never gave you my opinion on anything. It’s not my “gross view” either. I never told you my views on anything. I just told you a FACT.

nothing you said made any sense, but you came off as super naive or super defensive. It’s hard to tell. Why did you tell me there are black folks in SE ky and then bring up Jack givens? What does that have to do with anything? That was weird.

Growing up in Western Kentucky, I don’t think it is a race thing it’s a Kentucky thing. I wanted Dom Hawkins and Derek Willis equally as much. Race wasn’t an issue.

I like Kentucky boys on the squad, regardless of the color of their skin.

Now I have no idea about the eastern part of the state. It’s like a whole other world in many ways over there.

Growing up in Western Kentucky, I don’t think it is a race thing it’s a Kentucky thing. I wanted Dom Hawkins and Derek Willis equally as much. Race wasn’t an issue.

I like Kentucky boys on the squad, regardless of the color of their skin.

Now I have no idea about the eastern part of the state. It’s like a whole other world in many ways over there.
It’s kind of like the ugly elephant in the room. We’d all love to deny it
but we’d all be whistling past the graveyard. But I think the crux of the coveted white kid issue is shooting. Like it or not, the assumption is and has always been that white players are better shooters. Now, there’s no doubt that there’s a portion of our fan base that skews towards racism. But a lot of folks expect the white dude on the bench to be the best shooter.

it reminds me of that Chris Rock stand up routine where he says the most dangerous play in basketball is the “wide open white guy”. Lol.

as far as in-state kids are concerned I’d like to see each and every one of our walk ins be in-state kids. I don’t know why they haven’t implemented this already. Those spots should always go to local kids. I mean, why not ?

ADVERTISEMENT