ADVERTISEMENT

If we are say just back in the elite 8 next season

Are some of the people who are bashing Cal like mad gonna feel silly, or does it not matter?
The goal is never the E8. Having said that, you have to take into account a few things imo when considering how successful a season UK had.
The E8 in '15 would have been a huge disappoinment, so for that season, that's a yes. Way too much talent and expectations for that team.
The E8 in the '11 season would probably have been viewed as a good year considering the struggles the team had that year. The FF was not expected for that team, so an E8 that year would likely been viewed as a good year. Still think that's Cal's best coaching job at UK.
The '18 year was considered a down year imo because UK had their bracket open up like never before in the NCAA tourney and UK lost a so-so K state team in the S16.
No question this year is a trainwreck, but if there is a tourney, and if UK makes it in and gets to an E8 this year. That would be a good topic for debate.

Reactions: *CatinIL*
So sad but so true! I hate having to sit around and hope next year will be better but who the hell knows. Could have 5 leave off this current team.
I think 4 are gone regardless. Mintz and Sarr obviously. Boston and Clarke, why I don't know. Maybe a transfer or two. Who knows?

Reactions: KyFaninNC
Cal will have more NIT appearances than titles after this season. The last few years have not been up to standard. If he wants to win the fanbase back he needs to start making FFs and titles... but given the trend, I don't see that as very likely.

In what way have "the last few years" not been up to standard? The past 2 saw us win an SEC title one year (finish 2nd the other), finish in the top 10 both years, get to OT in a regional final so clearly a contender, and not have tournament to compete in last year.

The chances are much better that we miss the tournament altogether than we make the Elite Eight

I may be completely wrong. But I think people just want good basketball throughout the entire season. No not win every game or win every game by 20. As Cal likes to say. But to watch poor quality basketball for 2.5 months to hope we make a deep run in the tourney is what is turning fans off. Lately we have seen crappy basketball until late January or February. The season is more than just 3-4 weeks of the end of the season and 3-4 games in the tournament. Even with crappy basketball for 3/4’s of the season if you’re making final 4’s or winning championships fans would be okay with that. But to have both, well, it’s not going to sit well with the fans.

Reactions: gwjenning
Things a loser might (or would) say. 😂😂😂

Youre the 2nd poster on my ignore list. That’s a tough one to crack, congrats!
He must have zero life off this board. You couldn't and spend the massive amount of time he spends on all of these accounts. I don't understand why anyone would have the inclination to dedicate themselves to something like that. It's not like he's really getting anything out of it. Some private chuckles? Doesn't balance out to me. But, it's a semi-free country.

“And if you ask me, our record 38 Elite Eights is a far more impressive accomplishment than our 17 Final Fours. I don't figure that's gonna be a particularly popular viewpoint around here though...”

What sticks out about those stats is the fact that UK is less than 50% in the Elite 8

Elite 8 should be the minimum expectation every year, even tho it won’t always be realized

Last edited by a moderator:
I may be completely wrong. But I think people just want good basketball throughout the entire season. No not win every game or win every game by 20. As Cal likes to say. But to watch poor quality basketball for 2.5 months to hope we make a deep run in the tourney is what is turning fans off. Lately we have seen crappy basketball until late January or February. The season is more than just 3-4 weeks of the end of the season and 3-4 games in the tournament. Even with crappy basketball for 3/4’s of the season if you’re making final 4’s or winning championships fans would be okay with that. But to have both, well, it’s not going to sit well with the fans.
What I actually want to see is a college basketball program whose primary goal and focus is winning the college basketball championship. And its second goal is so far below that, nobody knows what it is.

It's mostly not about our wins and losses.

If Cal makes it all about championships, I'd be fine with him staying. But he really can't pivot like that at this point.

Cal is untouchable. So it doesn’t matter what the fans think. Barnhardt should be fired over that contract however.

Nope! Nor should he. Much of UK's "fanbase" are inbred trailer trash who matter to no one but themselves. The University, athletics department, coaches and players should distance themselves as much as possible. Let them know how little they matter. Most of these so-called fans don't have 2 pennies to rub together and can't count past 20. And they can only get to 20 if they still have all their fingers and toes. It's not like those are the people financially supporting UK, particularly not when most of them rely on the "gubment" to support them.
You are a disgusting human being. I really try to not call people names, but in this case, you deserve it. I guess you think you're special and your opinion matters...WRONG!!!

Cal will have more NIT appearances than titles after this season. The last few years have not been up to standard. If he wants to win the fanbase back he needs to start making FFs and titles... but given the trend, I don't see that as very likely.
I keep seeing everyone on here saying UK will be in the Nit. Last time I checked you had to be a .500 team or better to play in the Nit.

Yeah that would get awfully crowded wouldn't it? We would need an extra 21 banners...maybe they'd go on the other side of Rupp Arena and be like the Final Four banners but in opposite colors (white banner with blue letters/numbers)? As silly as that might sound keep in mind that one of the most beloved teams in our history, the 1992 Unforgettables "only" made the Elite Eight. I find it an absolute travesty that ESPN didn't make any sort of special for them.

And if you ask me, our record 38 Elite Eights is a far more impressive accomplishment than our 17 Final Fours. I don't figure that's gonna be a particularly popular viewpoint around here though...
It shows consistency which is phenomenal and what has lead to us being the winnings at program. E8s are great as the average here. But should never be the ceiling over a decade. If that becomes accepted then we’ve become just another good program, not the top program.

E8s are great when you’re getting to the F4 or beyond at minimum once every 5 years. Yeah

It shows consistency which is phenomenal and what has lead to us being the winnings at program. E8s are great as the average here. But should never be the ceiling over a decade. If that becomes accepted then we’ve become just another good program, not the top program.

E8s are great when you’re getting to the F4 or beyond at minimum once every 5 years. Yeah

Well of course it shouldn't be "the ceiling", I doubt anyone in this history of sports has ever said with a straight face we're just glad to be in the showcase event and we couldn't care less if we go further or not. If anything the fact you got that far means you gotta strike while the iron is hot because you don't know when you'll ever get another chance! That's probably all the more reason big upsets happen in the NCAA's the way they do because the big underdog figures they better put it all on the line now (and thus are much hungrier and can catch a "too comfortable" higher seeded favorite) because it may be several years before they ever get another chance at the NCAAs.

As one of the complainers, I want to be clear, my expectation is to win the SEC every year and make the Sweet 16. Mathematically we make the Sweet 16 every other year over the course of NCAAT history. So its a reasonable floor for expectations to me. I understand that will not happen every year. But a coach at Kentucky should do that most years. And Calipari has.

It's the accumulation of all these other issues, that have been listed ad nauseum so I'm not going to repeat it here, that has me saying to hell with it. Each tournament finish is its own thing. Sure, we take an aggregate to judge success. But for example, 2010 loss to WVU was a complete failure. As was Auburn 2 yrs ago. 2011...that was a success. 2014..success. 2015...I don't want to talk about it. KStateloss was a total failure. Not only were they mediocre but we had a cakewalk after that.

So no, it's not championship or bust for some of us complainers, or even Final Four. The Luke Maye game is what it is...Elite 8 sure but that season on the whole was a success.

I hope all the folks who are wanting to rub it in my face get to. You think I want to be right? Hell no! Please, get back to the Final Four. Hang another banner! Oh poor me. I was wrong on the internet. Hell yes make that happen.

Meh. We all know FF’s don’t grow on trees, but Elite Eights are in the same class as SECT titles.

Very few people care. If a real UK fan, you’d never brag about Elite Eights.

Queue Cletus...

uts.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT