ADVERTISEMENT

If the SEC thought giving us Alabama was fair

gamalielkid

Senior
Gold Member
Mar 21, 2002
They should have at least made it a home game for UK. Here are obvious facts - we played Alabama 3 years ago - at Alabama. We played Ole Miss the last time here. It's the same weekend and the same travel distance for all schools - so why did they reverse the obvious? Simple - they don't want UK to beat Alabama this year!

Mac Jones playing Kentucky in Lexington - how do you think he would have done here versus how he will do at Bryant Denny in Alabama?

It really tells me that the SEC football power brokers know how dangerous this team can be. The last three years of UK games have not been flukes. We had some breaks - but in reality more bad than good - and yet we still have won 8 games or more 3 times. The program is now solid.

Go Big Blue!

They should have at least made it a home game for UK. Here are obvious facts - we played Alabama 3 years ago - at Alabama. We played Ole Miss the last time here. It's the same weekend and the same travel distance for all schools - so why did they reverse the obvious? Simple - they don't want UK to beat Alabama this year!

Mac Jones playing Kentucky in Lexington - how do you think he would have done here versus how he will do at Bryant Denny in Alabama?

It really tells me that the SEC football power brokers know how dangerous this team can be. The last three years of UK games have not been flukes. We had some breaks - but in reality more bad than good - and yet we still have won 8 games or more 3 times. The program is now solid.

Go Big Blue!

yes! I heard somebody also say that the original plan was to go with the 21-22 rotation so we would have played Ole Miss and LSU. BUT that would have caused Bama and Florida to play and they didn’t want to play so they had to tweak.

It is really too bad there are not the same operating procedures for basketball considerations in the SEC. it’s 180 degrees. “What is the toughest path we can give Kentucky?”

I would rather play them down there when their really isn't much of a home field advantage.
Gianni I hear people say that. I was at the last game in Alabama. The home field wasn't a big factor in that game. In fact most people forgot Kentucky led for quite a while and the game was tied at the end of the first quarter and only a late touchdown by Bama had them ahead at the half. The bigger advantage is TRAVELING versus staying at home. Check out most teams records- you will find that staying home is much better for most teams. It is not homefield advantage in the way that many people think. It is the known versus the unknown. Plus a 50% stadium at Alabama is as raucious as a 100% stadium at Kentucky. Football is BIG time in Alabama - and if a game gets close that crowd will be a factor.

However, saying that, I will say this. I been to the Florida game every year Stoops has been Coach. Florida is a very loud place and a very demanding crowd of its team. Kentucky has played Florida really well in Gainesville since Coach Stoops took over. Alabama in the past has so much superiority in players - and they still do as to ratings - but our Kentucky team is also pretty competent now. But for the fun of it - do you know how many times Alabama has lost at home over the last 5 years? Their record is 34-1. They lost to Mississippi by 43-37, when Ole Miss and Hugh Freeze had that loaded illegaly recruited top 5 team. Kentucky's record over the last 6 years at home is 31-14. So, playing in Lexington is an advantage. Here is another interesting thing to consider. EVERY team in the SEC has a home winning record over the last 6 years. Home is a very good place to be!

Go Big Blue!

Reactions: UKat1 and jauk11

Go Big Blue!

Doubt we would beat alabama if the game was played on the moon

Playing the next 2 teams on the rotation was first mentioned as a possibility by a sports writer. The thought took off from there.

I like keeping the schedules as balanced as possible instead of just pulling in future rotations. This creates the best balance to see where we (and other programs) stand in the conference.

For Ala, I much prefer playing them on the road when few fans will be in the stands. Plus, I'd much rather play Ole Miss in Lex instead of Oxford.

There's no perfect way to do the schedule, but I think SEC did as good of job as possible. This will be an outlier year. (Let's hope they can play all 10 games!) It will be a good measuring stick for the program.

yes! I heard somebody also say that the original plan was to go with the 21-22 rotation so we would have played Ole Miss and LSU. BUT that would have caused Bama and Florida to play and they didn’t want to play so they had to tweak.

It is really too bad there are not the same operating procedures for basketball considerations in the SEC. it’s 180 degrees. “What is the toughest path we can give Kentucky?”
This bias against Kentucky has been evident since the very beginning of the league. 1930's. Kentucky was not considered a Southern state by a lot of the teams and they did not want to admit UK in the first place. We have been the whipping boy since the beginning.

Wouldn't it be nice if we could tell the SEC we did not want to play a certain team in the SEC. Like Bama and the Gators can. They would tell us to stick it.

This bias against Kentucky has been evident since the very beginning of the league. 1930's. Kentucky was not considered a Southern state by a lot of the teams and they did not want to admit UK in the first place. We have been the whipping boy since the beginning.

Wouldn't it be nice if we could tell the SEC we did not want to play a certain team in the SEC. Like Bama and the Gators can. They would tell us to stick it.

Serious question, how is this biased against UK? If UK had drawn Bama and LSU like Missour did, you would have a legit complaint. But you ended up with 2 good teams and 2 teams with new staffs, just like UGA and UF did. SEC showed they feel UK is in the top 3 teams in the East because it got one of the 3 easiest schedules in the East. Of course drawing State, OM, Arky and AU would have made it easier, but you wanting to win the East or the MAC?

Serious question, how is this biased against UK? If UK had drawn Bama and LSU like Missour did, you would have a legit complaint. But you ended up with 2 good teams and 2 teams with new staffs, just like UGA and UF did. SEC showed they feel UK is in the top 3 teams in the East because it got one of the 3 easiest schedules in the East. Of course drawing State, OM, Arky and AU would have made it easier, but you wanting to win the East or the MAC?
The SEC voted to expel Kentucky from the SEC in the early 1950's and the team that saved us from expulsion was Tennessee. Their vote decided we would stay. Like I said several schools did not want us for whatever reason. I have my opinion as to why.

On second thought, I am not complaining about our draw. It is what it is, Until we can beat Tennessee on a regular basis there is nothing for a UK fan to talk about. We are in the SEC so no path is easy. For us. Maybe UGA but not us. My complaint was Bama and Florida can tell the SEC they do not want to play each other. Who else can do that?

That's true. Neither is MO.
Missouri is a Johnny Come Lately. They were not a charter member and UK was. This is not 1930 and regional differences do not matter anymore.

Doubt we would beat alabama if the game was played on the moon
I bet the team and coaches don't feel that way- lols! Unfortunately, with all the politics going on - I'm beginning to feel this season is not going to happen - so this is all just something for us to talk about until this mess is behind us - whenever that is!

Go Big Blue!

Reactions: EKCAT4YRS
The SEC voted to expel Kentucky from the SEC in the early 1950's and the team that saved us from expulsion was Tennessee. Their vote decided we would stay. Like I said several schools did not want us for whatever reason. I have my opinion as to why.

On second thought, I am not complaining about our draw. It is what it is, Until we can beat Tennessee on a regular basis there is nothing for a UK fan to talk about. We are in the SEC so no path is easy. For us. Maybe UGA but not us. My complaint was Bama and Florida can tell the SEC they do not want to play each other. Who else can do that?

Missouri is a Johnny Come Lately. They were not a charter member and UK was. This is not 1930 and regional differences do not matter anymore.

That was 70 years ago, no one with the power to do that is in power today or probably even alive. What path is easy for UGA, we play the same schedule UK does this year except we swap OM for ARKY. Yes is disappointing that Bama and UF blocked the 21 and 22 option, but with the SEC office in Birmingham would you expect anything different? I think the office sho uh ld be moved to Charlotte and anyone with a degree from as n SEC school not be employed by the conference. Having the head of of FCC officials being a Bama alumni just isnt correct, and the way Bama gets protected makes it more worrisome.

I personally think aTm may be the best team in the West this year and Bama may actually be 3rd under LSU.

I think the pairings were as fair as they can make them, if any team has a complaint coming it's probably UT

Reactions: 1977 Cat and jauk11
I personally think aTm may be the best team in the West this year and Bama may actually be 3rd under LSU.

I think the pairings were as fair as they can make them, if any team has a complaint coming it's probably UT

I can't say for A&M, we played yh ed m last year and I just dont them improving. LSU had th he majority of their draft eligible players leave early while Bama had the majority of theirs stay. 2 of their starting 19 LB missed the entire year are both back, their RB returned, 2 of their WR returned, their best OL returned. I think they are the best over there. Last year, LSU was damn good, but without Tua's fumble going into the endzone on the first drive they may have missed the playoffs.

Reactions: UKat1
Damn guys. We used to get beat by 50-60 points playing Florida, and now we are disappointed when we lose to them. But we are afraid to play Bama? They gonna do to us anything that hasn't already been done? There are only 2 directions you can go. Up, or down. Bama has been up for a long time. We have been down, for a long time. But we are going up now. Bama will come down. And maybe, it will come down against us. If our goal is Atlanta (which is harder than getting into the playoff games) we are going to have to beat the best teams in the country. If our goal is to go to a good bowl every 10 years or so... I guess we are there.

Like I used to tell my daughter's boyfriends, anything above I-40 is the North. :D
(We live in NC).

When you think of Bama you think of a shut down defense not so much offense but did you know that the Tide was #2 in the country last year on scoring offense at 47 points per game?

Not sure what Bama will look like this year but if they are similar to last year I think we will need to score into the low to mid 30s to have a chance. That will obviously be no easy task.

That was 70 years ago, no one with the power to do that is in power today or probably even alive. What path is easy for UGA, we play the same schedule UK does this year except we swap OM for ARKY. Yes is disappointing that Bama and UF blocked the 21 and 22 option, but with the SEC office in Birmingham would you expect anything different? I think the office sho uh ld be moved to Charlotte and anyone with a degree from as n SEC school not be employed by the conference. Having the head of of FCC officials being a Bama alumni just isnt correct, and the way Bama gets protected makes it more worrisome.

This and Swanee Cats comments about the league and wanting to vote us out in 1950 and Tennessee stepping in to support us so that that would not happened, reminded me of the recent documentary about integrating the SEC and Page, Northington, Hackett and Hogg.

It came out in the documentary that Tennessee, Vanderbilt, Georgia, Florida, Georgia Tech, and Tulane voted in support of integration. I might add as a side note, I wish Georgia Tech and Tulane were still in our league. With them if we had to expand, South Carolina and Texas A&M would have made a much better 14.

I threw a few oranges in my day at Memorial Coliseum and I relish beating the Big Orange as much as anyone. It hurts more when we lose to them. And as much as I hate to admit, it, I appreciate that they have stood with us through the years. I would like to think that we have with them as well. I also give the thank you and benefit to Vandy, UGA, and the Gators. Sure we are rivals in sports, but they have been there for us and again, I hope we have been there for them. I don't know if we have had the opportunities to support the Jackets and Green Wave over time but I hope we have.

When you think of Bama you think of a shut down defense not so much offense but did you know that the Tide was #2 in the country last year on scoring offense at 47 points per game?

Not sure what Bama will look like this year but if they are similar to last year I think we will need to score into the low to mid 30s to have a chance. That will obviously be no easy task.

They had 2 WR and a QB drafted in the first round. Not sure where or if Jones will go, but he will have 2 top flight WR to throw to, one likely a first rounder and the other was/is their return guy. The numbwe 1 RB in their class, arguably the top OT in the conference.
This and Swanee Cats comments about the league and wanting to vote us out in 1950 and Tennessee stepping in to support us so that that would not happened, reminded me of the recent documentary about integrating the SEC and Page, Northington, Hackett and Hogg.

It came out in the documentary that Tennessee, Vanderbilt, Georgia, Florida, Georgia Tech, and Tulane voted in support of integration. I might add as a side note, I wish Georgia Tech and Tulane were still in our league. With them if we had to expand, South Carolina and Texas A&M would have made a much better 14.

I threw a few oranges in my day at Memorial Coliseum and I relish beating the Big Orange as much as anyone. It hurts more when we lose to them. And as much as I hate to admit, it, I appreciate that they have stood with us through the years. I would like to think that we have with them as well. I also give the thank you and benefit to Vandy, UGA, and the Gators. Sure we are rivals in sports, but they have been there for us and again, I hope we have been their for them. I don't know if we have had to opportunities to support the Jackets and Green Wave over time but I hope we have.

I have no idea why Tulane left, but according to some older than me Tech fans Tech left because Bobby Dodd wasn't happy with Bama and what Bear was doing to get an advantage over the rest of the conference. It was basically Bama creating teams, providing scholarships for said team, but using those to sign extra football players. It's why today any 2 sport athlete counts against football. True or not that is what I have always heard, but Bama has always been king of finding and using loopholes.

They had 2 WR and a QB drafted in the first round. Not sure where or if Jones will go, but he will have 2 top flight WR to throw to, one likely a first rounder and the other was/is their return guy. The numbwe 1 RB in their class, arguably the top OT in the conference.

I have no idea why Tulane left, but according to some older than me Tech fans Tech left because Bobby Dodd wasn't happy with Bama and what Bear was doing to get an advantage over the rest of the conference. It was basically Bama creating teams, providing scholarships for said team, but using those to sign extra football players. It's why today any 2 sport athlete counts against football. True or not that is what I have always heard, but Bama has always been king of finding and using loopholes.

I think Tulane was having a difficult time competing on the field/court and financial resources wise. They have had a few positives athletically since they dropped out, it remains a great school academically. If they had seen the $$$$ they had in the future and how they’d bounce around from independent to mid-major, I wonder if maybe they’d hung in there. Only their baseball facility is SEC caliber. Their new football stadium is nice but small. While updated, their basketball arena is the same one they played in when they dropped out.

I think Tulane was having a difficult time competing on the field/court and financial resources wise. They have had a few positives athletically since they dropped out, it remains a great school academically. If they had seen the $$$$ they had in the future and how they’d bounce around from independent to mid-major, I wonder if maybe they’d hung in there. Only their baseball facility is SEC caliber. Their new football stadium is nice but small. While updated, their basketball arena is the same one they played in when they dropped out.

I can see how that was an issue for them. Small school, in a city that has other things to do would make it tough financially before TV and even radio money. Tech faced those issues too,small school, a high percentage of foreign students who dont care for football. Paul Johnson really hurt them with local kids, but Bama, Clemson, LSU and all the other schools that circled Atlanta as a hotbed for recruiting sure loved him. No one wanted to play fr Tech. He left the next coach a pretty steep hill to climb. Of course Tech requiring calculus by every student doesnt help them.

Yeah, I think I would be thrilled if we scored 30 points against them. Not so much if we still lost though.

most people forgot Kentucky led for quite a while and the game was tied at the end of the first quarter

Yep. We actually should've won that game imo. Stephen Johnson (as much as I loved him) overthrew Conrad on at least two wide open rpos that would've been tds. Maybe three. Later that season it raised eyebrows when bama said UK was the most physical team they played.

Imo I don't think drawing them was unfair. But the game should've been in lex. That's the part where we got screwed

Reactions: Girthang

Go Big Blue!
Considering few or no fans will be in the stands, how much of the home field advantage is negated?

Reactions: GADAWGinIraq
Fk scheduling "fairness." The only thing I want is the refs not to play favorites. That's the fairness I want in every SEC game.

This is AWESOME! Playing the best of the best on their home field! If you're not stoked, you don't love football enough!

Let's fkn GO CATS!

Fk scheduling "fairness." The only thing I want is the refs not to play favorites. That's the fairness I want in every SEC game.

This is AWESOME! Playing the best of the best on their home field! If you're not stoked, you don't love football enough!

Let's fkn GO CATS!

The Refs (officials) have way too much to lose to play favorites.

Do you have any idea of what you are talking about, do you know what kind of money P5 officials make, and how hard it is to get there AND to stay there?

I know Penn Wagers hated us after the mass celebration at UF and allowed Aaron Murry to take late hit after late hit every game of ours he called. In our NC game Bama was in motion on a punt we blocked and we were called off sides. We win in regulation without the blown call, how do you blow an offsides? Well we win if we kick the FG from inside the 20.

I know Penn Wagers hated us after the mass celebration at UF and allowed Aaron Murry to take late hit after late hit every game of ours he called. In our NC game Bama was in motion on a punt we blocked and we were called off sides. We win in regulation without the blown call, how do you blow an offsides? Well we win if we kick the FG from inside the 20.

He's a fkn loon. No point in listening to him about it. I've seen footballs bounce a foot off the ground and called interceptions, phantom holding calls for which a ref got fired by the SEC, watched a play clock expire without a call, and a player get thrown out for not letting an official help them up.

If they're saying refs aren't biased, they're either stoned or they're blind. A penalty is the same if UT or UK commits it (on paper), but during the game it's clearly not called the same. Saying it isn't true is just willing ignorance (and/or they're an official).

Y'all got some jacked up calls and no calls during the spurrier years at UF. If your coaches had bichd and moaned as much as the visor, you might not have had as many, but I appreciated their restraint.

Reactions: UKFBFan78
Do you have any idea of what you are talking about, do you know what kind of money P5 officials make, and how hard it is to get there AND to stay there?

Yes, I do. Yes, I do. Yes, I do. I have also known some NFL officials. If you think people who are paid a lot of money don't lie, cheat, and steal because they already make enough, Bill Clinton would like to talk to you about a donation. Fkn hilarious the naivete of some folks

Yes, I do. Yes, I do. Yes, I do. I have also known some NFL officials. If you think people who are paid a lot of money don't lie, cheat, and steal because they already make enough, Bill Clinton would like to talk to you about a donation. Fkn hilarious the naivete of some folks

Sounds like you should be officiating the super bowl instead of being an expert at picking out things they did wrong. Seriously some of you experts should try it in live action without the benefit of different angles and slow mo. they would be glad to have some experts to help them out. They will be glad to give you a shot at it.

Is Bill Clinton a football official, I thought he was a fn politician that got a law degree so he could go into the real money game, politics.

ADVERTISEMENT