ADVERTISEMENT

If the SEC expands to 20 teams. What 4 other schools should they add? Excluding Notre Dame, the Big 10 & Pac 12 teams

TopCatCal

Senior
Dec 10, 2012
My 4 would be

Florida State - I know the SEC already has the Florida market with the Florida Gators. But conference expansion is football driven & FSU is big name. With Florida being the 3rd most populated state in the country, it's big enough for 2 SEC teams. Plus you don't want the Big 10 to get them.

Clemson - I know that South Carolina isn't a heavily population state. And the SEC already has the Gamecocks. But Clemson has become such a football power, you've got to take them. Like with Florida State if the SEC doesn't take them, the Big 10 will.

North Carolina - I understand no football tradition at all. But you would be getting the state university in the 9th most populated state in the country. Plus it doesn't hurt that they are one of the top 4 or 5 basketball bluebloods of all time. Football wise with them being able to recruit as a football member of the SEC. They would be able to sign higher quality recruits than they ever have.

West Virginia - A small state I know. But they are the state university. And a lot of years I've seen them ranked in the top-25 in both football & basketball.

Reactions: jrm693
My 4 would be

Florida State - I know the SEC already has the Florida market with the Florida Gators. But conference expansion is football driven & FSU is big name. With Florida being the 3rd most populated state in the country, it's big enough for 2 SEC teams. Plus you don't want the Big 10 to get them.

Clemson - I know that South Carolina isn't a heavily population state. And the SEC already has the Gamecocks. But Clemson has become such a football power, you've got to take them. Like with Florida State if the SEC doesn't take them, the Big 10 will.

North Carolina - I understand no football tradition at all. But you would be getting the state university in the 9th most populated state in the country. Plus it doesn't hurt that they are one of the top 4 or 5 basketball bluebloods of all time. Football wise with them being able to recruit as a football member of the SEC. They would be able to sign higher quality recruits than they ever have.

West Virginia - A small state I know. But they are the state university. And a lot of years I've seen them ranked in the top-25 in both football & basketball.
Not North Carolina, aka The Filth. We have Bruce Pearl in the conference. That’s enough cheating scum without adding another.

UNC is a must. North Carolina is not a Southern state yet since they have no schools in the Southeastern Conference. Same goes with Virginia. Add both of them to be nice.

Then choose two out of FSU, Clemson, WVU, whatever. Maryland could be an option if we’re going by “Southern”, antebellum-wise.

I read that any additional teams added had to come from a certain predetermined group in order for schools to continue to get the same amount as part of the TV deal. Texas and Oklahoma were part of that A group of college programs. I cannot imagine there are many more when you throw out Notre Dame, Big Ten and PAC 12. I would imagine it will be much more difficult to add another school from Florida, SC, Georgia, Kentucky, etc than it was to add a TX school with some opposition from TAM. With that said, I would guess the only schools that would meet all requirements would be UNC, Virginia or Virginia Tech, possibly Maryland and maybe Clemson. I think more realistically an addition would come from the likes of USC and Notre Dame.

UNCheat and NC State are a package deal in any further expansion or movement. They are indelibly linked to each other. The NC legislature will see to that.
Clemson is a no-brainer from a brand recognition standpoint.
Florida State would seem to be the obvious choice from a brand standpoint and sizeable fanbase but, UCF has the largest student body of any school in the country and that means huge future revenue.
Adding those 4 schools would give the SEC a sizeable footprint on the east coast in states where college football matters. Sorry but, WVU and Virginia don't bring a lot to the table. Good programs but, they don't advance the SEC brand the way the others would.

Most natural fits imo would be Clemson, Florida St, NC State, and WV. I'm sure we'd rather add a Virginia team though. Probably Virginia Tech.

Reactions: TM2013
UNCheat and NC State are a package deal in any further expansion or movement. They are indelibly linked to each other. The NC legislature will see to that.
Clemson is a no-brainer from a brand recognition standpoint.
Florida State would seem to be the obvious choice from a brand standpoint and sizeable fanbase but, UCF has the largest student body of any school in the country and that means huge future revenue.
Adding those 4 schools would give the SEC a sizeable footprint on the east coast in states where college football matters. Sorry but, WVU and Virginia don't bring a lot to the table. Good programs but, they don't advance the SEC brand the way the others would.
If you are talking just football. Neither do UNC and NC St. WV and VA are equal or better when it comes to football.
Basketball wise, of course UNC is a brand but NC St is not imo. Both WV and VA are better programs.

Virginia is a huge market. WV is a natural rival for KY and for VA. Just my opinion though.

Reactions: Blueworld_3.0
UNC is a must. North Carolina is not a Southern state yet since they have no schools in the Southeastern Conference. Same goes with Virginia. Add both of them to be nice.

Then choose two out of FSU, Clemson, WVU, whatever. Maryland could be an option if we’re going by “Southern”, antebellum-wise.
No. They are they biggest cheating filth in history. We don’t need that sort of massive decades long corruption. They are so dirty, it would even be cheating in the NIL era.

If you are talking just football. Neither do UNC and NC St. WV and VA are equal or better when it comes to football.
Basketball wise, of course UNC is a brand but NC St is not imo. Both WV and VA are better programs.

Virginia is a huge market. WV is a natural rival for KY and for VA. Just my opinion though.
Don't look at it totally on the basis of program quality. That's a consideration but, $$$ would be the determining factor. Does NC/NC State bring more potential viewers to the conference than WVU or Virginia? Look at the population of NC. The state is traditionally considered southern. Heavy Nascar interest, rural history with a strong industrial base. VA has a growing population but, a lot of it in the north is increasingly white collar DC types. No connection to the south and minimal interest in college football.
WV being a natural rival of Kentucky would get them few bonus points. Population is too small and they are geographically isolated.
All of this is being fueled by football and the intent is to renegotiate the SEC contract with ESPN at some point. The goal is to make the SEC the dominant sports league short of the NFL and to make ESPN pay exceptionally well for the exclusive rights to cover it.

Reactions: Cawood86
I would like to add a North Carolina and Virginia team. They are culturally and historically southern, more so than Oklahoma and Missouri. It also adds markets and keeps the SEC contiguous.

So UNC and UVA would be the logical choices. But I doubt anyone leaves the ACC.

I think the end game is four super conferences: SEC, Big 10, PAC-12, and ACC.

So the last real prize is ND. I think they will eventually have to decide which conference they want to join between the Big 10 and ACC.

I think the SEC stays at 16. It makes sense. It’s the perfect number for a conference.

Don't look at it totally on the basis of program quality. That's a consideration but, $$$ would be the determining factor. Does NC/NC State bring more potential viewers to the conference than WVU or Virginia? Look at the population of NC. The state is traditionally considered southern. Heavy Nascar interest, rural history with a strong industrial base. VA has a growing population but, a lot of it in the north is increasingly white collar DC types. No connection to the south and minimal interest in college football.
WV being a natural rival of Kentucky would get them few bonus points. Population is too small and they are geographically isolated.
All of this is being fueled by football and the intent is to renegotiate the SEC contract with ESPN at some point. The goal is to make the SEC the dominant sports league short of the NFL and to make ESPN pay exceptionally well for the exclusive rights to cover it.
Good points. I jsut don't see the bigger advantage. Virginia is alot of like NY imo. Small section of the state controls the rest but the rest do not identify with that small section.

UK playing WV in football or basketball is a bigger draw to fans than NC St imo. WV also borders to very talent rich states in Ohio and PA.

VA is a good basketball school and on par or above UNC or NC St in football plus it gives in roads to another talent rich state.

The UK-WV basketball game a few years ago was tremendous for both schools. ESPN gravitates to schools in the east and especially NE. Getting VA gives the SEC an area tht is like a hidden gem imo.

Bama coming to town for football or UK for basketball is a huge draw imo.

I would like to add a North Carolina and Virginia team. They are culturally and historically southern, more so than Oklahoma and Missouri. It also adds markets and keeps the SEC contiguous.

So UNC and UVA would be the logical choices. But I doubt anyone leaves the ACC.

I think the end game is four super conferences: SEC, Big 10, PAC-12, and ACC.

So the last real prize is ND. I think they will eventually have to decide which conference they want to join between the Big 10 and ACC.

I think the SEC stays at 16. It makes sense. It’s the perfect number for a conference.
I initially wanted UNC too, but my personal bias against them took over. I just can't stomach them. But your point is so true. NC is a very traditional southern state.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Good points. I jsut don't see the bigger advantage. Virginia is alot of like NY imo. Small section of the state controls the rest but the rest do not identify with that small section.

UK playing WV in football or basketball is a bigger draw to fans than NC St imo. WV also borders to very talent rich states in Ohio and PA.

VA is a good basketball school and on par or above UNC or NC St in football plus it gives in roads to another talent rich state.

The UK-WV basketball game a few years ago was tremendous for both schools. ESPN gravitates to schools in the east and especially NE. Getting VA gives the SEC an area tht is like a hidden gem imo.

WVU only appeals to the few KY counties that border WV. Both WVU and NC St have similar quality in both big sports. But NC St opens to a much bigger market, the 2nd largest city in one of the 10 most populated states. I’ve lived in NC for 25 years. I would say the state is split 40% UNC, 25% NC St, 20% Duke, 5% WF, 10% other.

WVU only appeals to the few KY counties that border WV. Both WVU and NC St have similar quality in both big sports. But NC St opens to a much bigger market, the 2nd largest city in one of the 10 most populated states. I’ve lived in NC for 25 years. I would say the state is split 40% UNC, 25% NC St, 20% Duke, 5% WF, 10% other.
Good point. Plus getting NC St would upset the other frauds on tobacco rd. I just do not want UNC.

Doubt any of this happens though. 20 teams is too many imo. But it's good discussion fodder.

I've resisted saying this because this is a UK board and we all want to think UK is important in every sport. But, let's be honest here. If UK wasn't already in the SEC we wouldn't have a chance of getting in. Even based on our basketball history, we wouldn't get a sniff.
This is ALL football driven. Revenue derived from basketball is just gravy. It doesn't even compare to what football brings in and more importantly...what football COULD bring in the very near future.
With the new SEC deal, ESPN is looking at the national picture. Or, at least the picture that extends to Texas and Oklahoma and the South. The SEC is a cash cow and is positioning itself to be just one step below the NFL in revenue. ESPN wants in on that.

In order of want.

Clemson
W. Virginia
Florida St.
North Carolina

I personally think discussions are ongoing about the topic of adding at least 4 more schools over the next couple of years.

Another discussion might be , schools that may not be needed in the SEC. Logical choice is Vanderbilt but, do we need 2 Mississippi schools? I understand the history standpoint but, from the money and recruiting angle, see UT ad Oklahoma, do these schools add a great deal to the conference. I dont know for sure but some on here will have good info.

I’d add WVA and Virginia. Then take 2 of either Maryland Virginia Tech Clemson Florida St or Miami. Tobacco Road can stay in the ACC all of them.

NC is definitely a southern state

I think the SEC needs to stay at 16. Why water down the conference with inferior programs in football (which is really what drives all this)?

The ACC schools made an agreement that makes it very difficult for any of them to leave. The Big 10 schools won’t leave that conference. The PAC-12 makes little sense with the added travel. The Big 12 has nothing left to take of value.

You make room for ND, that’s about it, but ND has no desire to join the SEC.

I say stick to 16. The SEC just added the two biggest fish possible. They really don’t need any more.

Neither is Kentucky by what EVERYONE outside of a few in Kentucky understands about the uncivil war.

Why exclude anyone? We should snag Clemson, Ohio State, Michigan, UNC, VA tech and Virginia and just dominate the landscape.

I mean realistically speaking with regards to strengthening the conference and maximizing viewership:

UNC
Virginia
Maryland
West Virginia

I mean that takes care of such a large population and geographic area that the SEC would be ridiculous. Would literally have like 1/3 of the country

This ^ is a stupid statement. North Carolina is very much a southern state.

Virginia is too, although like Kentucky the border between north and south may divide the state, with the Alexandria area northern (like Louisville and the area of KY across from Cincy being northern).

And UNC is not the only option in NC for that market. NC St also has a large following, and is located in the state’s 2nd largest city (the county that Raleigh is in has 3 cities/towns with more people than Chapel Hill, essentially 10X more). I’ll give you UNC has a bigger following in the state, but NC St is probably 2nd, yes ahead of Duke. NC St has a comparable football profile, and a top 20 or 30 historical basketball one, but not at UNC level. And NC St would be easier to pull from ACC than UNC, who is not leaving Duke, and has this arrogance that will probably keep them from moving.

I’d say if you can get Clemson and FSU, you take them and then a school each from VA and NC. Most likely NC St and VA Tech.

ADVERTISEMENT