ADVERTISEMENT

If someone had told you Knox to UK, Bamba to Texas, Diallo uncertain

I would have because I'm not big on Diallo, I like Johnson better, and not convinced Richards and an improved SKJ won't be fine for us inside.

It's really incredible how the narrative changes. If we had landed Bamba but not Knox, it would be that we don't have the perimeter scoring to compete. Seems we're always unhappy with what we have.

Definitely needed Bamba to be a real contender, but I didn't view next season as a potential title year anyway. Flawed roster, and not talented enough to be as young as we are.

I think where Bamba hurts is that it means bigger minutes for Richards and SKJ, which likely increases their chances to leave instead of having them back for a run in '19.

I mean, we don't really have a choice as to who commits and who doesn't. And we focus far to much on the Spring signings. I really like the makeup of our team for next year.

Reactions: AzubuikeandFitch
Probably not, but only because I'm greedy. But if you look at it objectively, UK needed more scoring (Knox) as opposed to more defense (Bamba).

I think Bamba will eventually be a great two-way player, but that's going to be long after he's gone from college. Don't get me wrong; this isn't one of those "he's overrated" posts that every fanbase makes after losing a player.

As I said, I wanted them both. But UK already has two 5-star centers on the roster. If the staff has done their job, that should be enough. What they were lacking was a go-to offensive force, and I think Knox can be that guy, or at least be a big part of the solution.

Yes. I've been saying for a while that people are crazy and short sighted for dismissing SKJ and Wenyen -- two incredibly athletic 6'10'' 5-star recruits. We might even see some improvement from Wynyard.

Kentucky's 4-5 grouping of Richards, SKJ, Washington, Gabriel and Wynyard is still one of the best -- maybe THE best -- in the country.

Knox is the big time scorer Kentucky needed.

I think SKJ and Richards can and will anchor the 5 spot. Wish we had gotten Bamba but we will still be scary good come March if we stay healthy. Knox Vanderbilt Washington will be hard to handle.

If UK doesn't get a 5 star stud at every position UK fans think it isn't enough. How many 5 stars do we need to compete for a title next season? Seems like if we get Diallo or Johnson that should be enough.

IMHO, Bamba didn't want the microscope that is UK Basketball. Also, part of his decision was the fact that we have 2 McDonalds All-American Centers here already.

With SKJ tweeting for everyone not to write him off, he must be more than confident that this coming season will prove his worth. I am hopeful that the chip on his shoulder will drive him to reach his high potential.

Reactions: IrishMike409
It's really incredible how the narrative changes. If we had landed Bamba but not Knox, it would be that we don't have the perimeter scoring to compete. Seems we're always unhappy with what we have.

Definitely needed Bamba to be a real contender, but I didn't view next season as a potential title year anyway. Flawed roster, and not talented enough to be as young as we are.

I think where Bamba hurts is that it means bigger minutes for Richards and SKJ, which likely increases their chances to leave instead of having them back for a run in '19.

So we needed Bamba to be a real contender, but you didn't view next season a potential title year anyway.... Makes sense.

At least Duke and UNC struck out.

I just hope Richards can be close to the shot blocking presence that I thought Bamba would be for us, and we're going to need Gabriel and SKJ to do some growing up. Right now I'm very grateful that we were able to get Knox, we'd be looking pretty rough without him.

Reactions: Sawnee Cat
At least Duke and UNC struck out.

I just hope Richards can be close to the shot blocking presence that I thought Bamba would be for us, and we're going to need Gabriel and SKJ to do some growing up. Right now I'm very grateful that we were able to get Knox, we'd be looking pretty rough without him.

I just see this as big of a postive as it as a negative. If Bamba came, it would be easy for our bigs to get a bit deflated. Now it's all up for grabs and the competition will be fierce....someone will emerge.

Reactions: TM2013
Our front court is already loaded so not getting him isn't a deal breaker for a top ten team. Need either Diallo or Johnson and there isn't any way around that unless a grad transfer or player reclassification comes out of no where over the summer.

Losing Bam and Humphries is absolutely idiotic now. The ONLY reason I didn't think those were a big deal is because it just made so much sense that we'd get Bamba.

I'm willing to bet the only person more shocked then us right now is Cal, he didn't expect this.

As long as Diallo returns my only real concern is the 4 spot, where Washington will be a little undersized for an elite PF.

I was hoping for some twin towers again, but whatever.

IMHO, Bamba didn't want the microscope that is UK Basketball. Also, part of his decision was the fact that we have 2 McDonalds All-American Centers here already.

With SKJ tweeting for everyone not to write him off, he must be more than confident that this coming season will prove his worth. I am hopeful that the chip on his shoulder will drive him to reach his high potential.

I think a lot of the time the reasons you pointed out Bamba probably chose Texas over UK, are valid. However, I think this was just one of those different kids and if you read his Players Tribune article, it seems that academics and relationship with the coach (biggest factor I believe) was what sold him.

Reactions: catben
So we needed Bamba to be a real contender, but you didn't view next season a potential title year anyway.... Makes sense.

Yes. We needed a guy of that caliber talent to be in the discussion, but even with him, I wouldn't have expected a title next season because this incoming class of recruits as a whole isn't talented enough to carry a team by themselves unless you nabbed 4 of the top 6 or 7 or something.

With Bamba, we'd have had a ceiling that *could* be a title contender. Now I think we're one of a handful of teams in that next tier down.

As long as Diallo returns my only real concern is the 4 spot, where Washington will be a little undersized for an elite PF.

I was hoping for some twin towers again, but whatever.

We're probably in better shape at the 4 than any other position. Washington is perhaps our most college-ready recruit and we have Gabriel and SKJ at their natural positions behind him, plus Vanderbilt and even Knox have the body to man that spot.

IF Nick Richards is elite or SKJ really explodes and Quade hits the ground running, we can be very, very good. But we have much less room for error than we would have with Bamba.

but I didn't view next season as a potential title year anyway. Flawed roster, and not talented enough to be as young as we are.

lmao

Look everybody, Gonzo is happy with losing potential game changing recruits because he didn't expect to be good anyway. i mean, cmon guys. Who cares, right? Throwaway season anyway.

If that ain't tardinal level logic, I don't know what it is.

The answer is obviously no.

...but, I am assuming diallo doesn't come back, so I don't even see that as a chance. I'm looking at 1/3, which is mehhh, but if it's 2/3, F YEA!

Reactions: Rupp'sRunt
Yes. We needed a guy of that caliber talent to be in the discussion, but even with him, I wouldn't have expected a title next season because this incoming class of recruits as a whole isn't talented enough to carry a team by themselves unless you nabbed 4 of the top 6 or 7 or something.

With Bamba, we'd have had a ceiling that *could* be a title contender. Now I think we're one of a handful of teams in that next tier down.
Oh geez. Now you'll tell me the handful of teams you're putting a head of us? In a weak talent pool next year we have serious talent. Bamba to UT doesn't automatically mean UK can't win a title

Yes.

My #1 concern preKnox was scoring and shooting. Knox provides both at an elite level, plus versatility.

Bamba is an elite defensive presence but not offensively. Richards provides almost as much as Bamba on defense and now this opens the door to see if SKJ can be that talented offensive big we hoped he would be coming in.

Quite frankly, a team with Bamba and no Knox or Diallo would have been painful to watch on offense.

Yes, but the popular answer will be no because anything short of all three makes online UK fan angry.
Gonzo you are the most level headed dude on this site . And the answer has to be Yes IF you understand what we already have. If you just look at what we lost without realizing we already have the best front court in the country then I guess you could say no. But I do want Diallo or Johnson as with one more stud we are hands down the best team next season.

Yes.

My #1 concern preKnox was scoring and shooting. Knox provides both at an elite level, plus versatility.

Bamba is an elite defensive presence but not offensively. Richards provides almost as much as Bamba on defense and now this opens the door to see if SKJ can be that talented offensive big we hoped he would be coming in.

Quite frankly, a team with Bamba and no Knox or Diallo would have been painful to watch on offense.
Spot the F on. I really want diallo or Johnson here though . Knox flat out saved our ass. He is now my favorite guy on the team as he wasn't afraid of competiton or the spot light unlike Bamba who does seem like a nice kid none the less . After hearing what the scouts said to Jones yesterday I think we get diallo back as his shooting is going to scare off anyone in the first round as athletes are a dime a dozen in the NBA.

I really really wanted Mo. I think we are very special come January with him

But stepping outside my UK fandom and trying to look at this thru a rival fan's eyes, I think we are are better off with Knox. he gives us outside scoring with size, 6'8" or 6'9". We have post players, Richards and SKJ. Richards being defensive minded for now and rebounds well out side his space. SKJ being very skilled offensively. They just need to show it now.

Diallo will be huge

Oh geez. Now you'll tell me the handful of teams you're putting a head of us? In a weak talent pool next year we have serious talent. Bamba to UT doesn't automatically mean UK can't win a title

I think Michigan State, Arizona, Wichita State, Kansas, and Carolina (with Bradley back) or Florida if he's gone are probably the top five to start. Our ceiling is higher than Carolina's, but they're veterans and seem to be living a charmed life instead of the death penalty.

Again, I just don't think this group of recruits is as good as people think, and we didn't even get the best of the bunch. That's fine if you need them as complimentary pieces, but they'll be our whole team.

There are going to be a lot of growing pains and it remains to be seen if those guys can be as good as we need them to be to win a title, especially if we go in as a 4/5 seed with a tough road and a bad whistle.

We saw this in '13 when the recruiting talent was down. A team full of "meh" who brought everyone back won it all. Obviously we aren't heading to the NIT or anything. I think we're an Elite 8 team just because Cal has proven that by March he can have us close to our best version, I'm just not sure how good that really is next year.

Edit to add: Also not saying we *cant* win a title. I'm saying we aren't the favorite and would need things to go our way. Similar to 2011, where a team like Ohio State is clearly "better" but we can still beat them.

I wasn't too concerned about Knox. I really wanted Bamba. And I still am convinced Diallo is staying in the draft.

But, regardless, we're still going to have a monster team next year, capable of bringing home the nets. In the end, I'll focus on the guys who play for us. Everything else will be just a footnote to what I envision being a championship year.

I don't think not having bamba is a big deal. With bamba I see kind of a platoon situation at the 5 spot between him and Richards. And I doubt either player wanted that. I like what richards brings and think a sophomore SKJ could be as effective as a freshman Bamba if the right progressions are made. IMO we either get Diallo back or Cam Johnson. So it's a win win on that front. With Cam we are looking at a lineup that is absolutely massive. Starting lineup would look like this.

Green 6'0
Cam Johnson 6'8
Kevin Knox 6'8
Jarred Vanderbilt 6'8
NIck Richards 7'0

Or
Green
Knox
Vanderbilt
Washington 6'8
Richards

I believe it's going to be the first lineup I have up. With either Diallo or Johnson at the 2. Either way can't beat it. That size will cause a lot of fits for an opposition.

Last edited:
From what I have read, Bamba is offensively challenged, but good on defense. Cal switches everything anyway, so Bamba would end up on a guard at the 3 point line, which means he could not guard the rim. Maybe we can get Johnson.

Best of luck to Bamba at Texas. Hope they have a good year.

I don't think not having bamba is a big deal. With bamba I see kind of a platoon situation at the 5 spot between him and Richards. And I doubt either player wanted that. I like what richards brings and think a sophomore SKJ could be as effective as a freshman Bamba if the right progressions are made. IMO we either get Diallo back or Cam Johnson. So it's a win win on that front. With Cam we are looking at a lineup that is absolutely massive. Starting lineup would look like this.

Green 6'0
Cam Johnson 6'8
Kevin Knox 6'8
Jarred Vanderbilt 6'8
NIck Richards 7'0

Or
Green
Knox
Vanderbilt
Washington 6'8
Richards

I believe it's going to be the first lineup I have up. With either Diallo or Johnson at the 2. Either way can't beat it. That size will cause a lot of fits for an opposition.

Don't get the horse in front of the cart, Cam not committed yet.

Reactions: bluesundown
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT