ADVERTISEMENT

If Skal went in the 1st round then Bam should also.

Skal can shoot plus he is a long four. And last years draft was absolutely pathetic. I don't even remember who got drafted outside uk players.

Reactions: ncukcat88
Skal was great in workouts, has great measurables and has a higher ceiling. If Skal played better in college, he would have went higher

Reactions: brianpoe
Smooth, you are top 5 worst posters. You never use any sense of reason. Everything is always emotion with you and it is always a stupid emotion. You are pathetic.
Wow I don't care for the poster either way but sorta harsh man . I was going to post that the OP has no idea what he is talking about as the NBA draft isn't bashed on who is better now it is based on who could be better in 5 years and Skal has oodles of promise . Hell if he could of even average 10 and 8 in his year at UK he would of been a top 5 pick.

I love Bam and hope he can go in the mid to late 1st round. He was way more productive at UK than Skal was but this is ridiculous. Skal has everything you're looking for in a stretch 4 except toughness and physicality. Bam is more physical and looks more like Dwight Howard than Skal but that's the only advantages he has.

Skal had better measurables, and projected more upside. He didn't get drafted off anything he did in college.
Yep, this is the answer. Skal was drafted on his measurables and the potential he had based on those numbers. Bam's "numbers" aren't as good. His issue, in my opinion, is that he was a disapointment compared to the expectations. Everyone thought he'd be a double-double guy from day one. They thought, at his size and strength, he'd absolutely dominate college competition, but he didn't. He didn't block shots like expected. The other issue he has is his lack of a consistent offensive game.

Now, if anyone thinks I'm bashing Bam, oh no. I think we started seeing what Bam can be down the stretch of the season. He was a double-double guy at the end of the year. His offense improved. His defensive positioning improved. His being foul-prone improved. His still didn't block shots and he still didn't score as much, though he had a couple dominant games. I personally think his prospects and potential first contract could dramatically improve with another season at UK.

why would anyone in their right mind want him to just get drafted mid to late 1st round? I want him back!! I want him to play a full year at the 4 and show he can go a solid year playing like he did the last quarter of this season. Bam back would be huge for us next year. Bam back and Bamba, if he chooses to come would be epic.

I disagree with everyone saying Bam compares poorly due to his measurables. First off, he shouldn't be compared to Skal, they are 2 entirely different style of players. He should be compared to Marquese Chriss.

Chriss was drafted #8, and averaged 13.7ppg and 5.4rpg
He is 6'8.7 (6'10 in shoes), 7'0.7 wingspan and 8'9 standing reach.

Bam averaged 13ppg and 8rpg.
He is 6'9 (6'10 in shoes), 7'1.5 wingspan and 9' standing reach.

His measurables are fantastic, and are even better than the #8 pick a year ago.

I disagree with everyone saying Bam compares poorly due to his measurables. First off, he shouldn't be compared to Skal, they are 2 entirely different style of players. He should be compared to Marquese Chriss.

Chriss is a stretch 4, Bam is a 5 in a 4 mans body

Chriss is a stretch 4, Bam is a 5 in a 4 mans body
I disagree. I think Bam has a good looking jumper, we just needed him to play more inside with Monk and Willis as our outside shooting threats. I think there is a lot more to Bam's game than he was able to show in college.

Wow I don't care for the poster either way but sorta harsh man . I was going to post that the OP has no idea what he is talking about as the NBA draft isn't bashed on who is better now it is based on who could be better in 5 years and Skal has oodles of promise . Hell if he could of even average 10 and 8 in his year at UK he would of been a top 5 pick.
He is single handily one of the worst posters I have ever seen and I have been here for almost 10 years.

Yep, this is the answer. Skal was drafted on his measurables and the potential he had based on those numbers. Bam's "numbers" aren't as good. His issue, in my opinion, is that he was a disapointment compared to the expectations. Everyone thought he'd be a double-double guy from day one. They thought, at his size and strength, he'd absolutely dominate college competition, but he didn't. He didn't block shots like expected. The other issue he has is his lack of a consistent offensive game.

Now, if anyone thinks I'm bashing Bam, oh no. I think we started seeing what Bam can be down the stretch of the season. He was a double-double guy at the end of the year. His offense improved. His defensive positioning improved. His being foul-prone improved. His still didn't block shots and he still didn't score as much, though he had a couple dominant games. I personally think his prospects and potential first contract could dramatically improve with another season at UK.

But by your logic Skal wouldn't have gotten drafted at all. He was definitely a disappointment compared to the expectations. Never really produced at all in college whereas Bam did. I think Bam will shine when he gets around to individual workouts with teams and they see him in person. Plus he played out of position all year.

Bam should be a first rounder and he's probably hitting a 10 footer away from being one. NBA is not high on Bam because he's undersized and has very little in the skill department. He won't get 5 wide open dunks in the NBA.

Reactions: sefus12
I find bam to be a very underrated pro prospect. Work ethic second to none, can't teach that. And did you all see this man's body as an 18 year old? He's a freaking train. Kids at age 18 don't look like that very often.

That was a pretty poor comparison. You obviously haven't watched Chriss very much if you think him and Bam are comparable players.

If Bam does very well in the workouts he could become a lottery pick. I like Skal but he was to soft.

Not a single chance. The NBA isn't too high on undersized PFs who can't shoot and have horrible timing when it comes to shot-blocking.

you serious clark?...how much have you watched Chriss this year? I have seen plenty...talk about 2 different players. I think both have a bright future in the NBA, but way different games.

Bam was just born about 15 years too late. Hard for anyone that can't shoot and isn't 7' tall to get drafted high these days.

And unlike Bam, Criss does not commit a traveling violation on half his touches either. Bam is a tough-as-nails bruiser but he lacks the size to succeed with that in the NBA and he has no other skills on an NBA level.

That's not harsh unless you're a snowflake..

Skal had better measurables, and projected more upside. He didn't get drafted off anything he did in college.

Correct. NBA teams make some crazy picks. Giles will also go before Bam too, but not based on what they've done.

Skal got drafted as early as he did because of the Kevin Durant affect that is still reverberating throughout basketball.

7ft, long, lean, finesse, face the basket, decent little stroke, etc....

It's why Cal took a flyer on him and gave him way more run than he should have. The lure of the potential pay off.

Kids like Skal are slot machines, people see them and know the odds are slim but if everything clicks just right...pay day...

Same goes for WG FWIW...Cal knew from the get go the kid was/is a project, but had WG popped off or at least shown the slightest sign of some sort of offensive skill (mainly a shot) he's a lotto pick...Both players Cal probably would have passed on or played a whole lot less pre title and 38-1, but now he knows he has the room for error with these kids.

Skal got drafted as early as he did because of the Kevin Durant affect that is still reverberating throughout basketball.

7ft, long, lean, finesse, face the basket, decent little stroke, etc....

It's why Cal took a flyer on him and gave him way more run than he should have. The lure of the potential pay off.

Kids like Skal are slot machines, people see them and know the odds are slim but if everything clicks just right...pay day...

Same goes for WG FWIW...Cal knew from the get go the kid was/is a project, but had WG popped off or at least shown the slightest sign of some sort of offensive skill (mainly a shot) he's a lotto pick...Both players Cal probably would have passed on or played a whole lot less pre title and 38-1, but now he knows he has the room for error with these kids.

You really think Cal took a flyer on the number one recruit who happened to be 7ft with a more than decent stroke?

I believe the issue with Skal was that Cal thought he could develop his inside game, which is what that team needed. (Also proof that Cal wants to win).

Had Cal allowed him to play as a face up 4 we would have seen a much different player. (Without a post presence most likely wouldn't have changed the team's results)

WG is simply athletic and never garnered the attention or accolades Skal received in HS, in fact Gabriel came from nowhere his Sr year, shooting up the rankings.

I don't see Cal ever passing on the #1 7ft recruit pre or post title if he is a good kid and wants to come.

You really think Cal took a flyer on the number one recruit who happened to be 7ft with a more than decent stroke?

I believe the issue with Skal was that Cal thought he could develop his inside game, which is what that team needed. (Also proof that Cal wants to win).

Had Cal allowed him to play as a face up 4 we would have seen a much different player. (Without a post presence most likely wouldn't have changed the team's results)

WG is simply athletic and never garnered the attention or accolades Skal received in HS, in fact Gabriel came from nowhere his Sr year, shooting up the rankings.

I don't see Cal ever passing on the #1 7ft recruit pre or post title if he is a good kid and wants to come.

Yeah, exactly my point. Cal took a flyer on the idea of Skal's inside game which never came to fruition, and like you said Skal popping off as a finesse scorer really wouldn't have changed anything. We didn't need a shooter or scorer, we needed someone down low who take a little attention and pressure off our two all world shooters/scorers as well as grab boards to give them additional opportunities to score.

That team didn't need what Skal brought to the table, they needed what Skal didn't bring to the table and it was apparent from the get go. The project should have been nipped in the bud. I would have rather he given most of Skal's low post minutes to Hump who was more in the mold of what that squad needed and because going through some growing pains with him could have paid off at the end of last year vs IU and this season.

I understand that as a coach you have to go after the #1 player in the class, but you don't necessarily have to play him and you sure as shit don't have try to post him up if he is not a traditional post player, too thin, too nice, and just lacking overall in the traditional low post skill sets.

Yeah, exactly my point. Cal took a flyer on the idea of Skal's inside game which never came to fruition, and like you said Skal popping off as a finesse scorer really wouldn't have changed anything. We didn't need a shooter or scorer, we needed someone down low who take a little attention and pressure off our two all world shooters/scorers as well as grab boards to give them additional opportunities to score.

That team didn't need what Skal brought to the table, they needed what Skal didn't bring to the table and it was apparent from the get go. The project should have been nipped in the bud. I would have rather he given most of Skal's low post minutes to Hump who was more in the mold of what that squad needed and because going through some growing pains with him could have paid off at the end of last year vs IU and this season.

I understand that as a coach you have to go after the #1 player in the class, but you don't necessarily have to play him and you sure as shit don't have try to post him up if he is not a traditional post player, too thin, too nice, and just lacking overall in the traditional low post skill sets.

I don't disagree.

Cal had to reign in Cousins and KAT before their seasons ever started, and basically teach AD post moves. I'm sure he thought he could do it with Skal.

ADVERTISEMENT