ADVERTISEMENT

If Scang is gone after the year ...

I think it’s looking more like he may be gone.

Him hinting at “being told to call things” and then stoops answering the question today that he has “very little” impact on play calling….starting to look like some blame game save face is going on and the Head Coach will win that fight everytime

Reactions: The-Hack
Mullen would be perfect for how Stoops likes to play. Mullen had some great offenses as OC at UF and at MSU, where he usually had good dual threat QB's.

Just read an article at KSR where Strops once again claimed to be hands off on the offense.

He‘s laying all on Scangs.
He did at his last two press conferences. He did say at times during games, (2-3 times a game, his words) that he will have say with the offense. He alluded to teams having trouble stopping the run game, he wants to stick to the run.

Just from everything that has come out the last few weeks. It seems CMS gives the OC/DC and umbrella to work under, pace of game, how best to attack an opponent, things like that it sounds like to me. I don't necessarily think that is great idea regarding the OC. By that I mean, when you have eyes in the booth and they see something that the opposing defense is doing or not doing, the OC needs the autonomy to attack that when they catch it. I could be way off in my thinking but you hire an OC a let them succeed or fail based off of running their preferred scheme.

There’s nothing at UK that’s like rehabbing careers at bama. Especially on the offensive side.
Could be. If he comes here and is Uber successful and our offense does a 180 back to Coen numbers…: it would look real good for him

Reactions: Lost In FL
If I had to guess it would be another pro style guy to keep up some sort of continuity. Somebody young again much like Coen who uses pro style systems but with some college style play like RPO and QB reads.

Has a Shannon Dawson vibe to it as the season comes to a close. He isn’t getting along with Stoops and vice versa. Honestly, unless we put 60 up against UL, I think he’s gone. But I think we need a smart college guy to come in here who can recruit and who has recruited in the past. Who’s been a OC. Stoops seemed to turn the offensive keys over to Coen last year. We need to get back to that level of trust because whatever this year is isn’t it.

Has a Shannon Dawson vibe to it as the season comes to a close. He isn’t getting along with Stoops and vice versa. Honestly, unless we put 60 up against UL, I think he’s gone. But I think we need a smart college guy to come in here who can recruit and who has recruited in the past. Who’s been a OC. Stoops seemed to turn the offensive keys over to Coen last year. We need to get back to that level of trust because whatever this year is isn’t it.
I don’t care how many we score against UofL, Scang must go regardless. That being said I’ll de damn surprised if we score more than 24 points.

What's ol Dan Mullen doing? I don't think broadcasting is gonna scratch the itch for him, think pride would be too much for him to be our OC?
I expect Mullen to end up in the NFL, won't have to recruit.

Pretty sure Sanders is out of coaching, Joker at NC St, Dawson TE coach at Houston.

Joker was not very good.
2005- 89th
2006- 43rd
2007- 15th
2008- 87th
2009- 69th

Sanders was really bad.
2010- 35th
2011- 117th
2012- 119th
thats fair, but when they had talent to work with, they did well. JMO
The 2007 team averaged 36.5 points per game. That is the highest at UK in the 26 years I've been tracking. (2nd was Couch's jr year at 35.9 and 3rd was last year's team at 33.3 ppg.)

The 2010 team was 6th at 31.2 ppg.

I think ALL of us would take 36.5 or 31.2 ppg on offense right now. [I concede 2011 and 2012 sucked.]

Last edited:
The 2007 team averaged 36.5 points per game. That is the highest at UK in the 26 years I've been tracking. (2nd was Couch's jr year at 35.9 and 3rd was last year's team at 33.3 ppg.)

I think ALL of us would take 36.5 or 31.2 ppg on offense right now. [I concede 2011 and 2012 sucked.]
@seccats04
Hey, i did a little more research and edited my post.

Maybe my recall of Joker and Sanders wasn't as accurate as the data suggests. Maybe i tend to recall 2007 and 2011 and flush the rest!

Reactions: seccats04
Because even when he’s had marginal to great talent his offenses score points. 06, 07, 2010. He utilized Burton, Dickie, Tamme, and Stevie. He helped develop Woodson, Hartline. He utilized Cobb as much as possible although I would have run him one more time against Tenn in 09 instead of having Newton tried to run outside on 3rd down. As a head coach no but as an OC and a recruiter on the offensive side of the ball, yes.

I don’t care how many we score against UofL, Scang must go regardless. That being said I’ll de damn surprised if we score more than 24 points.
Agreed, he’s been bad all season. Why should one game make a difference when we have a much larger sample size

I thought Sanders was awful, frankly. Every single year we had the same problem: it took 2-3 years or more to run his offense. Way too complicated, evidently. We never had a backup ready to do anything because the offensive scheme was like differential calculus.

Whatever scheme we run, I firmly believe that every QB on the roster should have a subset of plays that they can run in their sleep. Obviously, the starter should have a greater number of plays but every QB on the roster should have some number that, in an emergency, they can come in cold and have plays to run. Absolutely no excuse for backups to look like they have not practiced all year. Expecting a backup to come in cold and, all of a sudden, run the entire playbook has not, cannot and will not ever work.

I am not confident that Sheron, Wade and Hogan have those plays in their arsenal. That's poor preparation.

Don't understand the love for Mullen. 10-15 years ago - sure. His entire time at Florida he only had one good offense and it was with a QB he left on the bench until injury forced him onto the field.

Mullen is way outdated.

Reactions: phunterd
I thought Sanders was awful, frankly. Every single year we had the same problem: it took 2-3 years or more to run his offense. Way too complicated, evidently. We never had a backup ready to do anything because the offensive scheme was like differential calculus.

Whatever scheme we run, I firmly believe that every QB on the roster should have a subset of plays that they can run in their sleep. Obviously, the starter should have a greater number of plays but every QB on the roster should have some number that, in an emergency, they can come in cold and have plays to run. Absolutely no excuse for backups to look like they have not practiced all year. Expecting a backup to come in cold and, all of a sudden, run the entire playbook has not, cannot and will not ever work.

I am not confident that Sheron, Wade and Hogan have those plays in their arsenal. That's poor preparation.
What became of Hogan? Finished Spring as QB2, then Levis gets hurt and Sheron's QB2, Wade QB3 and Hogan nowhere to be seen. Was/is he hurt? The others beat him out? Seems he's now milk carton qualified as a missing person.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity

So 1 year and your opinion was he’s good? His entire track record is abysmal the stats prove it.

He did at his last two press conferences. He did say at times during games, (2-3 times a game, his words) that he will have say with the offense. He alluded to teams having trouble stopping the run game, he wants to stick to the run.

Just from everything that has come out the last few weeks. It seems CMS gives the OC/DC and umbrella to work under, pace of game, how best to attack an opponent, things like that it sounds like to me. I don't necessarily think that is great idea regarding the OC. By that I mean, when you have eyes in the booth and they see something that the opposing defense is doing or not doing, the OC needs the autonomy to attack that when they catch it. I could be way off in my thinking but you hire an OC a let them succeed or fail based off of running their preferred scheme.
That’s why he is hands off. Head coaches can override anything on both sides of the ball, but Stoops is not telling the OC what to run like some on here keep saying he does. How many times does he and even OC’s have to say he’s not telling them what to run. Just like he doesn’t tell White what to call or how to call his defense. Does he have input? Absolutely just like every other head coach at any level. After all it is their program or their franchise they are in charge of.

Because even when he’s had marginal to great talent his offenses score points. 06, 07, 2010. He utilized Burton, Dickie, Tamme, and Stevie. He helped develop Woodson, Hartline. He utilized Cobb as much as possible although I would have run him one more time against Tenn in 09 instead of having Newton tried to run outside on 3rd down. As a head coach no but as an OC and a recruiter on the offensive side of the ball, yes.
I still talk about that play with Cobb. Just unbelievable play call against the vols to win the game.

So 1 year and your opinion was he’s good? His entire track record is abysmal the stats prove it.
Ok. Prove it. 1. I backed my opinion up w facts. 2. In a subsequent post i stated that my memory may be of the positive and not the negative.

Having said that, the best in 26 years is still the best in 26 years. Name an OC who has done a better job at uk in the last 26 years.

So, yes. I am willing to say the oc with the best ppg in nearly 3 decades at uk was good. I didnt say great. But good. Geesh.

I can't believe people think coen has a chance of coming back as the oc. I'd love it but imo its near 0% chance. He will be an NFL HC in no more than 2 years from now. He isn't going to jump ship to be our oc

Reactions: K_TIME
Ok. Prove it. 1. I backed my opinion up w facts. 2. In a subsequent post i stated that my memory may be of the positive and not the negative.

Having said that, the best in 26 years is still the best in 26 years. Name an OC who has done a better job at uk in the last 26 years.

So, yes. I am willing to say the oc with the best ppg in nearly 3 decades at uk was good. I didnt say great. But good. Geesh.
You didn’t back it up with stats and stats don’t lie.

You didn’t back it up with stats and stats don’t lie.
Never said I backed up with stats. I said I backed it up with facts. Facts. It is a fact the 2007 has the highest ppg in the last 26 years. It is a fact that Joker was the OC. Do you dispute those 2 facts?

I can't believe people think coen has a chance of coming back as the oc. I'd love it but imo its near 0% chance. He will be an NFL HC in no more than 2 years from now. He isn't going to jump ship to be our oc
Yeah..
1. Coen isn't coming back to UK as OC. He might as Head Coach one day...but not OC.
2. Joker....for as great as the offense was in 2007....you don't bring back a former head coach as OC. Plus if he's such a master mind offensive coordinator still...why not a single team has decided to hire him as OC in the decade after he's left UK. He has basically been a WR coach since he's been gone.

The next OC will need to come down to if Stoops still wants this NFL-ish offense and this time he needs to be able to find a good coach of that caliber offense. Not just a coach that knows NFL but has had poor results mostly in NFL. Or do we shoot for a collegiate offensive coordinator and simply look to spend big $$$ to lure them to us like most of our assistants have left.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
ADVERTISEMENT