ADVERTISEMENT

If Kentucky isnt AP preseason number one

I don’t know how you could not have us in the top 3, but there are3 teams with a reasonable case for #1.

UK, Kansas, & who? Gonzaga?

I would not consider Duke a preseason #1 candidate. Not enough depth. Freshman often make silly fouls...injury or foul trouble & Duke is done.

It's perfectly reasonable if someone decides to vote Kansas or Duke #1

I disagree on Duke. So you have a good freshman class with no moving parts to go with it. I could see someone saying top 5 but the only reason anyone would logically vote Duke #1 is because its Duke & Coach K. No one else in the same circumstances would be a preseason #1 when you have a Kansas or UK roster or the talent & experience of a Gonzaga. Take the Duke goggles off & think logically.

I disagree on Duke. So you have a good freshman class with no moving parts to go with it. I could see someone saying top 5 but the only reason anyone would logically vote Duke #1 is because its Duke & Coach K. No one else in the same circumstances would be a preseason #1 when you have a Kansas or UK roster or the talent & experience of a Gonzaga. Take the Duke goggles off & think logically.
lol

Reactions: gracetoyou
I care notta about being #1 pre season or during season. Just cut some nets baybee

dreams.gif

Reactions: BBUK
In all seriousness, I'd rather not be preseason #1 usually just because of the unnecessary pressure; however, this group may embrace those expectations & that preessure.

Think about this way, UK is UK. Whether we are preseason #1 or #6 we still have a target on us because we're UK. We'll continue to be everyone's superbowl.

Reactions: Sawnee Cat
They'll put UK #1, KU #2 and duke #3. They will want it that way because they know what's coming on 11/6.
Ratings will be really good, but if they have #1 UK V #3 duke, they know even non college basketball fans will tune in.
But I don't see any way they pit dukevsny higher that #3 and even tgat is a stretch. UK or KU will get that top spot.

If we had Duke’s roster, they would rank us first or second, then drop us to ninth with our first loss. Maybe out of the poll with our second.

We’ve been #1 in most of the other preseason polls. I expect the AP will have us 1 or 2 with Kansas.

I would not consider Duke a preseason #1 candidate. Not enough depth. Freshman often make silly fouls...injury or foul trouble & Duke is done.

Depth can be overrated. Our 2012 title team really only had 6 great players who played (7th man was freshman Wiltjer and 8th man was Eloy Vargas). Didn't matter, as we had the best top 6 in the country and avoided injuries.

Our 2011 Final Four team literally played 6 guys, half being freshmen.

Arguably the deepest team in UK history failed to even reach the title game in 2015.

I wouldn't count Duke out based on "lack of depth".

Last edited:
Maybe the added pressure to start is a good thing. This team will most likely lose a few games, it's going to happen. Let them work with the #1 ranking into SEC play, where one or two of the stronger SEC teams smack us around on the road.

Being #1 will go a long way to ensuring a top seed. If they keep losses to a minimum, we'll stay at the top.

Depth can be overrated. Our 2012 title team really only had 6 great players who played (7th man was freshman Wiltjer and 8th man was Eloy Vargas). Didn't matter, as we had the best top 6 in the country and avoided injuries.

Our 2011 national runner-up team literally played 6 guys, half being freshmen.

Arguably the deepest team in UK history failed to even reach the title game in 2015.

I wouldn't count Duke out based on "lack of depth".

I don’t disagree with your sentiment, but we weren’t national runner-up in 2011, and Vargas played spot minutes every game in 2011. Very thin roster though, especially without Enes.

I don’t disagree with your sentiment, but we weren’t national runner-up in 2011, and Vargas played spot minutes every game in 2011. Very thin roster though, especially without Enes.

Yeah, you're right. Just Final Four in 2011. Runner-up 2014. Had a lapse there.

Point remains. 2011 team made it as far as 2015 team with a lot thinner roster. They had no depth and didn't have the top-end starpower of this Duke team.

If Kentucky isn't AP preseason number one....it doesn't matter even the smallest amount. Zero bearing on the season or any single minute of anyone's life.

Reactions: STL_Cat

We've been preseason number 1 with questionable depth before. The star power outweighs the depth.

ADVERTISEMENT