ADVERTISEMENT

If it wasn’t for Oscar …

Blue63Madison

All-American
May 21, 2002
Savannah, GA
… we would be a terrible rebounding team. Tonight reminds me of the Notre Dame game. Rebounding beat us against ND, and rebounding is the only reason Vandy is keeping this one close.

Reactions: EliteBlue
I agree about rebounding being bad and inexcusable. But I also think we came out totally flat, STILL look flat, and the choppy game along with officiating has slowed everything down, which helps Vandy.
We definitely started flat. Have been most of the night. But the rebounding thing has been true most of the season.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
Haha, this is reply is too silly to reply to. So I won’t.
Yeah because what he said is common sense. Those rebounds would be distributed to our other PFs and whoever else was playing Center more evenly if you subtract Oscar. But we wouldn’t be a terrible rebounding team.

Rebounding is strategy as much as offense. If Oscar wasn't there, Cal would have more guys crashing the glass and team rebounding. Oscar allows more guys to get back on D or be ready for a shot.

Reactions: Bigblueincincy
If you take the National player of the year off our team, our rebounding will suffer. Watch out guys, Hot take train coming through.
Starting midway through the first half, Oscar had one rebound the rest of the game at ND. Nobody else stepped up. Tonight, nobody besides Oscar rebounded and it made the game much closer than it should’ve been. These two examples are probably the two least athletic P5 teams we’ll play. If Oscar gets in foul trouble, somebody has to be that man. Hopefully he doesn’t get in foul trouble when it matters most.

I wish Hopkins would get more playing time, the dude is a load. The way he moves with his size he could be unstoppable inside if he could ever realize what he could do. When you are six foot seven and weigh two thirty-five that's big enough if you know how to use it. Toppin didn't play much and Brooks only had four rebounds, that won't get it Saturday, but I realize tonight was maybe a slight let down after the Kansas win.

… we would be a terrible rebounding team. Tonight reminds me of the Notre Dame game. Rebounding beat us against ND, and rebounding is the only reason Vandy is keeping this one close.
And scoring around the rim.

We were 7-14 around the rim tonight. That's much lower in attempts and shooting % than we'd expect based on our previous games. They defended the hoop well, kept us from even getting there, and forced us to chuck from midrange.

We get to the rim or rebound at our normal rates and we cover tonight. It's a blowout if we did both well.

I wish Hopkins would get more playing time, the dude is a load. The way he moves with his size he could be unstoppable inside if he could ever realize what he could do. When you are six foot seven and weigh two thirty-five that's big enough if you know how to use it. Toppin didn't play much and Brooks only had four rebounds, that won't get it Saturday, but I realize tonight was maybe a slight let down after the Kansas win.
Other than Oscar, Hopkins is our best rebounder. Can’t wait to see him as a Sophomore.

For me, the bottom line came in the fact that they turned the ball over so many times, it negated their outrebounding us. Our free throw percentage and horrible shooting kept us from putting some space in this game.

I'd say they used another Cat life, to be honest, but the officiating was stop and jerk herky jerky with a ton of bullshit thrown in.

I really want to know who that crew was , they su... rendered a lot to be desired on my part. It was ugly and not a game where the crew was "invisible".....

Hopkins is not the answer this year. Next year he will be much better.

You do have to think.. if Oscar isn't here, some guys would pick up the slack. I imagine Oscar's presence and his elite rebounding ability, coupled with the team likely figuring "he'll get it", probably nixes our numbers a bit.

Speaking of fouling.. I remembered furing the game how worried we were about foul trouble for Oscar... aside from tonight, and a few games where he picked up 2 early.. he's been doing pretty well staying in the game. He's averaging the same amount of fouls per game (2.5) at Kentucky, as he did last year at WVU... despite playing 32 minutes here, and 19 minutes at WVU. That's huge.

you can say that about alot of teams

That’s something I love about this Team …Even though they came out flat and had a bad game they still scored 77 and won.
If you didn’t know the outcome and I told you Tyty had 7, Wheeler had 3, and Oscar had 11 you would probably think that’s a loss. I know I would.
How many teams can honestly say they have 6 players that can get you 20+ on any given night?

Nah we wouldn't be terrible. Just not as good as we currently are. 4th in the nation in offensive rebounding %. That would no doubt go down but a portion of those boards that Oscar got would no doubt be scooped up by other players on the team. IMO it would still be a strength of the team, just not a huge strength. I can't recall a time where we didn't have huge rebounding numbers especially on the offensive side under Cal.

The good news is we DO HAVE Oscar. Take any team and what they do well. Then take off the one player from that team that does that the best and they won't be as good lol.

We probably have 6 more losses without Oscar.

Oscar is definitely our most important player. I think Tyty may be our best.

But I also think some of our guys defer to Oscar on the rebounds. They just expect him to go get it, or when it's 2 UK guys battling for it, guess which one almost always has it. Toppin's reb-per-30 has gone down slightly, Ware's has gone up (but he is never in with Oscar), but Brooks has gone down significantly from 8.6 to 5.6. Yet when Oscar is out is when Brooks seems to go get some boards.

ADVERTISEMENT