ADVERTISEMENT

If I am a opposing coach...

Blueworld_3.0

All-SEC
Sep 24, 2008
...I use the exact same game plan KU used against us on Sat. Double Oscar, get in the chest of CJ and play the odds of the Cat's being unable to hit shots from the perimeter.
On offense I spread the court and force Oscar to defend the pick and roll. I go at him and Toppin continually and tell my guys to use the shot fake. Oscar will be on the bench by the mid point of the first half with foul trouble.
Then, just count on Calipari to not be able to make any adjustments. Easy win.

...I use the exact same game plan KU used against us on Sat. Double Oscar, get in the chest of CJ and play the odds of the Cat's being unable to hit shots from the perimeter.
On offense I spread the court and force Oscar to defend the pick and roll. I go at him and Toppin continually and tell my guys to use the shot fake. Oscar will be on the bench by the mid point of the first half with foul trouble.
How I so hope the weather changes.

Fredrick missed wide open shots. Sit him and play Reeves more and tell Wallace to shoot more or sit him.

It’s been said here a million times, a zone would really help this particular team be more successful. Just pissing in the wind bringing it up but dang we need changes.
You are correct. I don’t particularly like the zone but if your team cannot play man, you have to give it a try. Kansas scored a lot of their points via the pick and roll and a zone should shut that down. But I am sure COWs coaching would render this defense useless also.

If the guys don't practice a zone I can't see it being a plus in games. Good Zone defense is more complex than people realize,

Communication from everyone and understanding how each defender moves is pretty important and needs practice reps.

I'm guessing Kansas' shooters eyes would have lit up had we tried to fumble through a zone defense.

Reactions: yes_takeaside
This team is just very limited on what it can do IMO.
For the most part you can count on Oscar, if not to score a bunch of points than to at least rebound.
But other than that.........what do we have here that's really been a consistent option?

While I agree a zone from time to time would be nice I don't really see that as the end all be all here.
Most teams play man the majority of the time. If you don't fix the man defense, than whether we zone or not doesn't really matter IMO

If the guys don't practice a zone I can't see it being a plus in games. Good Zone defense is more complex than people realize,

Communication from everyone and understanding how each defender moves is pretty important and needs practice reps.

I'm guessing Kansas' shooters eyes would have lit up had we tried to fumble through a zone defense.
Disagree
Not that hard

Reactions: ukwazoo
Hit 4 3's at end of game too...

Reactions: AzubuikeandFitch
If u are good enough to play basketball on the DI level and sign on to play at UK then you should be well acquainted with varying defenses.
I don't think most people expect zone for a large portion of the game, just an occasional possession to slow the opponent's offensive rhythm.

Cal's could't do that (us playing some zone) it might make the other team have to prepare for it. That would take time away from opposing teams to work on pick and roll offense, block out assignments ect. and inbounds plays, that we constantly getting our asses scorched on. It just would't be fair to the other team.

It's not just Oscar that doesn't know how to defend the pick & roll. Lance Ware is probably worse at it than Oscar is. When you have multiple players that doesn't know how to defend the pick & roll & it happens in multiple games over multiple seasons, last season Auburn dunked all over us. This is nothing but a severe lack of coaching.

It's not just Oscar that doesn't know how to defend the pick & roll. Lance Ware is probably worse at it than Oscar is. When you have multiple players that doesn't know how to defend the pick & roll & it happens in multiple games over multiple seasons, last season Auburn dunked all over us. This is nothing but a severe lack of coaching.
It's not a recent thing either. The pick & roll has been kryptonite for the best teams Calipari has ever assembled. It took a freak of nature/once in a lifetime player in Anthony Davis to overcome Calipari's coaching deficiencies to win a title. That's one of the reasons he will never win another one.

Reactions: blubo
Shhhhhh, don't give away team secrets. We wouldn't want Cal to have to design and implement a new offense.

200w.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT