ADVERTISEMENT

If Gonzaga goes undefeated...

Gonzaga is just like Norte Dame in collage football. extremely weak ass schedule , extremely week ass conference .
No one in the SEC has played a schedule like ND. ND plays coast to coast and sometimes in different hemispheres. 90 percent of SEC schools won't leave their region. Florida, an SEC blue blood hasn't ever played a regular season OOC game outside the state of Florida. How is that even possible?

Reactions: KingOfBBN
Gonzaga is really good, but does anyone really think they’d go undefeated in a Power 5 conference? Hell no.
I bet you didn't think big blue wouldn't get 20+ wins this year either. Gonzaga was running through every conference this year with the Big 12 having the only two teams I think could have knocked them off.

WVU slowed the game down and they didn’t like it. Zags pulled away late to win but I think Baylor is the team that can control the pace then beat them.
I agree with this. You are going to have to have outstanding guard play and a big that can go out and defend the Zags big. Baylor is the squad I got doing it on 2 of my 10 brackets.

No one in the SEC has played a schedule like ND. ND plays coast to coast and sometimes in different hemispheres. 90 percent of SEC schools won't leave their region. Florida, an SEC blue blood hasn't ever played a regular season OOC game outside the state of Florida. How is that even possible?
Their most recent out of state OOC game was 1991 at Syracuse. But, when you have FSU and Miami built in state and one or both on your schedule every year, it's a little different.

Their most recent out of state OOC game was 1991 at Syracuse. But, when you have FSU and Miami built in state and one or both on your schedule every year, it's a little different.
They were'nt playing Miami and FSU every year.
In 2014 ND played at FSU, then the next game went to NY to play Navy in a home game for ND and then the next week went to ASU.

maybe. I mean what is Alabama in the SEC. they got what 2 losses? It’s not uncommon in some years to see winners of power conferences lose just a handful of games. So I don’t think it’s out of the realm of possibility this team couldn’t run the table in a major conference. It would just make it more unlikely to happen.

Add to that the fact that Gonzaga is really good this. I think there's a good shot that they could go undefeated in a conference not named the Big 10 this year. People are underselling this team because of their conference in this thread, but have you watched them? Very good players led by a very good coach at a program that is used to winning. And if they lose in the tournament if won't be a comment on how good they are, it just that hard to go undefeated.

They were'nt playing Miami and FSU every year.
In 2014 ND played at FSU, then the next game went to NY to play Navy in a home game for ND and then the next week went to ASU.
I'm not downplaying ND's schedule, just commenting on Florida's schedule. I also said "one or both" on their schedule referring to Miami and FSU. They have played FSU every year since 1958. They have played Miami 38 times in that same timeframe.

We played Michigan just a couple of years ago in TX early in the season.

And of course in basketball there is a lot of out of state non conference games.

If they can make it through the next 6 games, against a field of teams as loaded as any recent tourney, they deserve all the accolades they get... no asterisk.
It was a shortened season, 7 games canceled against non-power5 teams, but they still played WVa, Auburn, and KU. The only significant game they missed was vs Baylor... and they may get that shot if Baylor holds up their end.
The only way they get an asterisk is if by some stroke of fate... every team ahead of them through the tourney is affected by COVID.

Add to that the fact that Gonzaga is really good this. I think there's a good shot that they could go undefeated in a conference not named the Big 10 this year. People are underselling this team because of their conference in this thread, but have you watched them? Very good players led by a very good coach at a program that is used to winning. And if they lose in the tournament if won't be a comment on how good they are, it just that hard to go undefeated.

Yep exactly. They have had really good teams in the past but I think people are overlooking just how good this current team is.

What does UK have to do with Gonzaga?
Gonzaga schedule is crap 💩 if UK was in that conference in past years we would go undefeated most likely.
(Providing example of how poor the conference is) what’s there not to understand?

Gonzaga schedule is crap 💩 if UK was in that conference in past years we would go undefeated most likely.
(Providing example of how poor the conference is) what’s there not to understand?

Well yeah........that doesn't really tell anyone anything. Just because you could plug a UK or another powerhouse in there and they would do good doesn't mean that Gonzaga should be discredited.

The better question is how Gonzaga would do in the SEC.

Yep. So easy, that in the past 40 years, there have been over 11,000 seasons played by teams from non-major conferences. Exactly 3 teams (UNLV, Wichita State the other 2) have been undefeated going into the NCAA Tournament.
Yeah true those LMU, BYU & pacific university games back to back to back would be rough to get by for any team in the NCAA. Sorry you got me lol

Yeah true those LMU, BYU & pacific university games back to back to back would be rough to get by for any team in the NCAA. Sorry you got me lol
Again, tell me why it's only been done 3 times in 11,000 tries in the last 40 years if it's so easy.

Again, tell me why it's only been done 3 times in 11,000 tries in the last 40 years if it's so easy.
Because the big boys play in the big boy conferences.
Not an almost big boy playing against children.
If that analogy makes sense 😂

I bet you didn't think big blue wouldn't get 20+ wins this year either. Gonzaga was running through every conference this year with the Big 12 having the only two teams I think could have knocked them off.
What in the hell does our record have to do with the topic? Gonzaga would almost certainly not go undefeated in a power five conference. You don’t get 14 or so freebies in those conferences. .

No asterisk IMO, but it will be noted that it was an especially weird year with very few exceptional teams. That’s not to take anything away, you need luck and circumstance for it to happen at all. But I think anyone could admit 2015 was a much much stronger year overall.

What in the hell does our record have to do with the topic? Gonzaga would almost certainly not go undefeated in a power five conference. You don’t get 14 or so freebies in those conferences. .
In conference play for the zags they pretty much have to be a little focused on BYU maybe saint marys sometimes besides that just show up and play an average or slightly below average game and win by 15 against pacific U lol. Or play your best effort and win by 30 🤣
Bad shooting night for the the zags they win by 10+ against 90 percent of the teams there 🤣 ok I’m done

Reactions: BourbonBalz
The analogy makes sense, I just disagree with it. You're either really good or you're not. And Gonzaga is really good. Despite their conference, they still ran over their OOC schedule with a 2, 3, 3 and 4 seed on it, winning 3 of them by double digits. The same way UNLV ran through the Big West back in the early 90's. Hell, UNLV's championship team couldn't even get through the mighty Big West undefeated. They have proven they can go toe to toe with the big boys in their run over the past 6 years, winning 79% of their games against teams from major conferences and 72% of their games against ranked teams. People put way too much stock in their less than stellar conference imo

Reactions: Original_Irish
Why is this even a discussion. If, over the course of a full season, you play much better teams night in and night out, you have a MUCH better chance of getting an L. There are very few nights off in the power five. A few, but not the bulk of the conference schedule. It’s simple math. You stand a much better chance of getting hit if you walk out into an busy interstate than if you do so on a country road.

The analogy makes sense, I just disagree with it. You're either really good or you're not. And Gonzaga is really good. Despite their conference, they still ran over their OOC schedule with a 2, 3, 3 and 4 seed on it, winning 3 of them by double digits. The same way UNLV ran through the Big West back in the early 90's. Hell, UNLV's championship team couldn't even get through the mighty Big West undefeated. They have proven they can go toe to toe with the big boys in their run over the past 6 years, winning 79% of their games against teams from major conferences and 72% of their games against ranked teams. People put way too much stock in their less than stellar conference imo
Yes they have been really good and legit. BUT they will also always win more games most likely than for example UK. Who has a better chance of going undefeated in conference play or even more wins in conference play, a really good UK team or just an above average
Gonzaga team ?
Just an example

It doesn't. His point was, if it's so "easy" why hasn't any other team that plays in a mid major conference been able to do what the Zags have done.

Yes they have been really good and legit. BUT they will also always win more games most likely than for example UK. Who has a better chance of going undefeated in conference play or even more wins in conference play, a really good UK team or just an above average
Gonzaga team ?
Just an example
Considering Cal has had 2 really good UK teams (2012 and 2015) and they have both gone undefeated in conference and Gonzaga has had plenty of above average teams that have not gone undefeated, it's probably UK.

Definite asterisk in my opinion. This season was, at times, like an exhibition. Teams taking weeks off in the middle of play, moving games or cancelling them altogether, and just the whole uncertainty of it all does not make this a real season. It's still a hell of an accomplishment though, to be sure.

Definite asterisk in my opinion. This season was, at times, like an exhibition. Teams taking weeks off in the middle of play, moving games or cancelling them altogether, and just the whole uncertainty of it all does not make this a real season. It's still a hell of an accomplishment though, to be sure.
So 'bama in cfb has an asterisk too?

One of the interesting things is from a tournament perspective, this is the "truest" tournament in terms of true S curve, no homecourt advantage (i.e. Duke playing in NC, etc.) that we have had in a long time, if not ever. While the regular season was a bit of a cluster, if teams stay healthy, the post season will be the exact opposite.

I wont take anything away from Gonzaga for winning the championship but I wouldn't consider it the same feat as Indiana either or if KY had pulled it off in 2015. I guess the 91 UNLV situation is their best argument but they were the defending champions so a weak conference could have been overlooked some in their situation.

It’s really amazing to watch our fans trash and scoff at Gonzaga after the season we had and the fact that we have 54 losses since the 2015 Wisconsin game.
Because we had a top 15 schedule, lost a school record 4 games by 1 f in pt and lost 7 games by a total of 14 pts while the Zags play west coast surfer dude YMCA teams in conference and their sos is 94.
Dont act like there is no reason to scoff Sherlock.

If Gonzaga wins the Championship and by default goes undefeated, they will be heralded as the Greatest College Basketball Team of all time by the media. You can count on that.
Mark Few will be immediately deified and ESPN will produce a hour long show with panel members fawning over the unbelievable accomplishment of Gonzaga's undefeated season.
I'm telling you, get ready.

It doesn't. His point was, if it's so "easy" why hasn't any other team that plays in a mid major conference been able to do what the Zags have done.
Put UKs last team in the tournament which was the Herro team we go undefeated in that conference.
Put the Fox, Bam, Monk team in that conference we dominate it.

Put UKs last team in the tournament which was the Herro team we go undefeated in that conference.
Put the Fox, Bam, Monk team in that conference we dominate it.
What does that have to do with the post I wrote that you quoted? I'm so confused.

I don't see the zags going undefeated. Think they lose anywhere from sweet 16 to final 4.
WVU is a good solid team but imo no where near a title threat team and they took the zags to the final minute.
Refs stepped in. Oscar! Bs final few mins. Zags already lost imo. Doubt they win this.

Why does their need to be an asterisk? Everyone played in the same COVID-crazed season. Are we going to do that to all champions, College & Pro until the pandemic is over? Bama doesn't deserve one for the football title nor should they. Everyone played by the same set of rules. Instead of worrying if some other school is going to go undefeated and it not be Kentucky, use it as motivation to get better. Not sure why this is even being discussed when we all know an asterisk it's not happening.

Last edited:
That likely wouldn't happen. We routinely lose or at the very least struggle against multiple crappy SEC team every season. Even the 2015 team required overtime in the first two SEC games of their season.
Those crappy SEC teams still have a lot more talent than most of the teams Gonzaga plays. I always hear about how bad the SEC is, but when you look at recruiting, it's one of the best conferences for talent (I believe along with the ACC).

It's a lot harder playing against teams with the athletes of the SEC than the West Coast Conference. It will definitely be a shock to Gonzaga playing power conference teams again after a few months off.

ADVERTISEMENT