ADVERTISEMENT

If Diallo returns & Bamba chooses UK - best recruiting class ever?

Coyote89

All-American
May 29, 2001
Might be the best ever even if UK doesn't land both guys, but with them, I can't imagine any recruiting class in history coming close.

Thoughts?

For me it will be yes of course if all 3 come, but even if not, the key as far as I am concerned is Bamba. He is the missing ingredient. Johnson would be a luxury as would Diallo returning. I have posted this before; I only want Diallo back because I think the circumstances that occurred with him coming for practice improvement only would be shameful for our program. Nevertheless, if only Bamba signs it would be our best "recruiting" class ever. Without him we have SKJ who couldn't make the floor for whatever mysterious reasons last season (so certainly of concern), Richards who sure looks like a work in progress to me especially on offense and rebounding, and Wynyard who maybe was one step ahead of SKJ but certainly no great shakes either. Bamba has a learning curve as well but showed much better basic rebounding skills and defense then our present centers. Cal's defense always seems to need that one interior shot blocker and that is Bamba's strength.

What do people want??? Dang right its one of the best but yet to be proven. Strictly based on #'s and need this class is fantastic and only getting better.

Reactions: chroix
Would any of these players be in the top 5 best recruits of the Cal era at UK? I'm not sure how the class could be the best ever if none of the guys crack your top 5.

Reactions: brianpoe
Hands down the very best!

I dont necessarily think Diallo needs to return for this class to be best but Bamba must come.

Green
Alexander
Baker
Knox
Vanderbilt
Washington
Richards
Bamba

Or
Harrison
Harrison
Young
Randle
Johnson

Or
Wall
Bledsoe
Dodson
Cousins
Orton

Or
Teague
Gilchrist
Davis
Wilcher

Or
Towns
Lyles
Booker
Ullis

I may not have all classes rightt as i am going of memory. If not the best pretty close w/o diallo and def the best with him.

Last edited:
What do people want??? Dang right its one of the best but yet to be proven. Strictly based on #'s and need this class is fantastic and only getting better.
Correct, but so many out there consider the Fab Five as the best ever and that is based on the recruiting numbers.
Yeah, they made title game appearances, but they didn't light the world on fire during the regular seasons that they played.
So, why shouldn't we use rankings to judge UK's classes?

Would any of these players be in the top 5 best recruits of the Cal era at UK? I'm not sure how the class could be the best ever if none of the guys crack your top 5.
So you are going to compare one class against an all star cast from all of Cal's previous classes? How does that work?

This is about a single collection of guys, we are comparing classes, not overall talent through the years aren't we?

Correct, but so many out there consider the Fab Five as the best ever and that is based on the recruiting numbers.
Yeah, they made title game appearances, but they didn't light the world on fire during the regular seasons that they played.
So, why shouldn't we use rankings to judge UK's classes?

Fab 5 had 4 burger boys that made the championship game twice.

Of course we had 6 in 2013 that made the championship game and final four (undefeated)...

Last edited:
As far as just number of five stars? I'd say definitely not as far as the quality of players.
How do we know the quality of each player in the 17 class? They haven't played a college game yet, but the ones they are being compared to played a full season (or 2) and up to 6 NBA seasons.

Reactions: JoeBeeHall
Easily. Hell if we add Bamba it is the best class regardless of Diallo or Johnson but getting either of those dudes and then it is by a mile.

With Bamba and Diallo we are getting players ranked by Scout at 1, 9, 10, 11, 14, 16, 22, 39 and 86.
That is "off the charts". SEVEN 5 stars. That has never been done before. UK had SIX 5 stars in 2013, which had never been done before. You have to rank the recruiting class based on how they are ranked
in the year of ranking and not how they do at later dates.

With Bamba and Diallo we are getting players ranked by Scout at 1, 9, 10, 11, 14, 16, 22, 39 and 86.
That is "off the charts". SEVEN 5 stars. That has never been done before. UK had SIX 5 stars in 2013, which had never been done before. You have to rank the recruiting class based on how they are ranked
in the year of ranking and not how they do at later dates.

Porter is #1 on Scout; not Bamba.

Right now today, if you told me I could have our '09, '11, or '14 class instead of this one, I would make that trade in all three cases.

Personally, I don't view deepest class as best class.

Now, ask me again in 11 months.

Reactions: brianpoe and 1war
Regardless, in a year of mass exodus of our freshman and vets, in a year when Duke was supposed to have the super class, in a possible bridge year next year, Cal whipped it out and has us #1 in the nation this coming season by many, especially when Bamba commits. This was by far his greatest single year recruiting to keep us not only competitive but likely front runners to win it all without a little bit of a down year, which I honestly expected. He will never top this year in terms of quality combined with the quantity. It's actually mind blowing when you think about what he has amassed in this class and he's not done.

it depends on how you judge the best class.......

this class would have the most 5 star players ever

if you judge by position, UNC 2006 I believe had 3 players who were #1 at their position (this class does not have that)

just saying.....

I'd take this class over any other that I can ever remember from any program based on the class as a whole

it depends on how you judge the best class.......

this class would have the most 5 star players ever

if you judge by position, UNC 2006 I believe had 3 players who were #1 at their position (this class does not have that)

just saying.....

I'd take this class over any other that I can ever remember from any program based on the class as a whole

2013 UK had 4 players #1 at their positions:

#1 PF Randle
#1 PG Andrew
#1 SG Aaron
#1 Center Dakari
IIRC #2 SF James Young

Reactions: catman111
Potential is there but potential never won a championship, still have to prove it on the court. Sounds pessimistic to some, I know, but I need to see the proof before crowning it the best. And, I thought many on here said this year is a weak class anyway, is that still considered true? Honest question.

2013 UK had 4 players #1 at their positions:

#1 PF Randle
#1 PG Andrew
#1 SG Aaron
#1 Center Dakari
IIRC #2 SF James Young
What if we compared players? Is Dakari better than Bamba?
How does Green stack up against Andrew?
Looks like we have several guys to put up against Randle (I love me some Randle though).
Would you take Aaron over Knox and/or Diallo?
Wasn't Young ranked pretty highly too?
It's interesting and something to look at after the 17 class plays a full season.

Fab 5 had 4 burger boys that made the championship game twice.

Of course we had 6 in 2013 that made they championship game and final four (undefeated)...
so 2013 UK is best ever to this point. ..I'm starting to forget who the Fab 5 was, now that call has now had 3 classes as good or better. 2017 is already better. Top3 UK =too 3 ever

Reactions: brianpoe
I think the downside, if there is one, is with so much talent Cal may be forced to platoon again. I think this cost us a title last time. Booker and Ulis should have been playing more minutes but the twins had to get their minutes and get them ready to move on. We all knew who deserved more time.

Also it takes young guys longer to get in a flow and longer to learn and develop when they're spread out. Just think how much faster Booker would have developed and scored had he been on the floor most of the game. So having a stockpile of talent looks great, it does have some possible drawbacks imho.

Yep! Better print more tshirts!
40-0UK-e1383606416857.jpg

Yes, if Bamba and Diallo come, I believe it is the greatest recruiting class ever made judging strictly by their HS rankings.

That doesn't even come close to guaranteeing a title, but it would most definitely be the best HS class ever recruited. Which is absolutely amazing.

I never thought Cal would top some of his other classes, but adding Diallo and Bamba would actually do it.

I hope Calipari never leaves. This is the golden era of Kentucky Basketball.

What if we compared players? Is Dakari better than Bamba?
How does Green stack up against Andrew?
Looks like we have several guys to put up against Randle (I love me some Randle though).
Would you take Aaron over Knox and/or Diallo?
Wasn't Young ranked pretty highly too?
It's interesting and something to look at after the 17 class plays a full season.

We can only hope one these kids turn out like Randle.

Reactions: Aike and kyjeff1
How do we know the quality of each player in the 17 class? They haven't played a college game yet, but the ones they are being compared to played a full season (or 2) and up to 6 NBA seasons.
Nobody here can see the future, but the odds heavily lean towards no. Even if we get Diallo and Bamba, I don't know if we have an all-American caliber guy on the roster. At least someone who is ready to come in and be that next year.

Nobody here can see the future, but the odds heavily lean towards no. Even if we get Diallo and Bamba, I don't know if we have an all-American caliber guy on the roster. At least someone who is ready to come in and be that next year.
The 13 class had 1 AA guy (Randle). But surely Knox, Bamba or Diallo can do that.
If one of them doesn't, it's because they shared so much with their teammates and sacrificed that.
But Diallo is being talked about by everyone as being a lottery pick in the 18 draft, so he has the ability.
Bamba is the #2 ranked player in this years class, surely he can make a Randle type impact.
We shall (er, might) see.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT