ADVERTISEMENT

If Cal would've took

Rupp'sRunt

All-American
Apr 19, 2008
Jarrett Allen would UT ever have been in contention? Makes you hate Bolden even that little bit more.

"I can’t say enough about the strides my friend Jarrett Allen made this past year. I saw his footwork improve. I saw the spots they put him in — where he was shooting, passing and stretching the paint like a modern five. Most importantly, I saw his confidence grow throughout the season as he distinguished himself as a possible lottery pick. I’m thankful for the blueprint he laid down and I hope to follow in his footsteps."

I really wanted Jarrett even before Bolden last year [sick]

Yeah, if he starts shooting jumpers. His stock will plummet.

Modern five still needs to do what fives core role is. Why do you think KAT has blossomed so quickly...

He will probably be mentioned as one of those recruiting mistakes or misses we made. Obviously hindsight is 20/20, but still just letting Allen go to UT waiting on Bolden was a mistake.

Allen wanted UK badly...maybe it was a huge miss that no one saw coming at the time.

Yeah, if he starts shooting jumpers. His stock will plummet.

Modern five still needs to do what fives core role is. Why do you think KAT has blossomed so quickly...
Wasn't Bamba saying he wanted to play the 4 too? I guess featuring monk and fox hurt us a bit in recruiting as bam didn't progress as much as he could've

Allen wanted UK badly...maybe it was a huge miss that no one saw coming at the time.
A lot of ppl saw it coming. He was much better on tape. More active and better rebounder. Bolden was a "low post scoring presence" with 0 vertical

Maybe he just wanted to be the big guy and not share the spotlight.He obviously doesn't care about winning.

Reactions: JC43
He could have also been looking at it from the Fultz kid's perspective. He went to a school where he would be the guy and would be able to pad the stats. Granted they didn't have a lot of team success, but it appears as though it's going to pay off for him personally as the #1 pick. Maybe Bamba figures he could so something similar.

He could have also been looking at it from the Fultz kid's perspective. He went to a school where he would be the guy and would be able to pad the stats. Granted they didn't have a lot of team success, but it appears as though it's going to pay off for him personally as the #1 pick. Maybe Bamba figures he could so something similar.
Fultz was a ready to play NBA guard. Bamba has a lot of offensive progression to be had.

He will probably be mentioned as one of those recruiting mistakes or misses we made. Obviously hindsight is 20/20, but still just letting Allen go to UT waiting on Bolden was a mistake.

Might cost us two titles.:angry:

Big what "if"

Allen
Bam
Willis--Gabe...IB
Monk
Fox....Dom

Might cost us two titles.:angry:
I don't know if I would go as far as saying it cost us a title. Humphries had a stellar game in the E8 and it still wasn't enough. Plus, Allen wasn't changing the refs mind to screw us. There is no guarantee Allen would have been any better in that game. Still though, it would have been nice to have the option of finding out.

Revisionist history. Allen was always UT's .The kid is from Austin . Silly to think otherwise. Cal did prefer Bolden but Allen was never going to be a Cat.
Uh Allen wanted to commit to UK Cal told him to hold off.

I don't know if I would go as far as saying it cost us a title. Humphries had a stellar game in the E8 and it still wasn't enough. Plus, Allen wasn't changing the refs mind to screw us. There is no guarantee Allen would have been any better in that game. Still though, it would have been nice to have the option of finding out.

Looking at not playing IB so much and with Allen , getting a higher seed.
Might work,,might not:weary:

We got five 5 star recruits coming in two four star recruits coming in and two 5 star recruits on the team already,not even counting Diallo.How many do you need to contend for the NCAA championship?

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
Looking at not playing IB so much and with Allen , getting a higher seed.
Might work,,might not:weary:
very good points, but IB did have the experience factor and could attack the rim at will most games. He was prone to bonehead mistakes and gave up inches defending the 3, but I'm still not sure you give up his positives in that sort of game. Tough call either way.

We have had Davis, Nerlens and Willie that all fit the mold of what Bamba is. To try and blame Cal and Jarrett Allen is stupid.

Bamba is a smart guy. He made his choice and knows exactly how to sell it. He isn't going to tell us the whole truth publicly.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
We have had Davis, Nerlens and Willie that all fit the mold of what Bamba is. To try and blame Cal and Jarrett Allen is stupid.

Bamba is a smart guy. He made his choice and knows exactly how to sell it. He isn't going to tell us the whole truth publicly.
Idt anyone here is "blaming" Cal or JA. The question was would UT have even been considered if JA had played for UK. And Bamba choice is his choice he doesn't have to sell it.

Idt anyone here is "blaming" Cal or JA. The question was would UT have even been considered if JA had played for UK. And Bamba choice is his choice he doesn't have to sell it.

Shaka would still be the coach, and that seems to have been a big factor in his decision.

My point is that if all of our incredible success with players like him wasn't a deciding factor, then how we hypothetically use Jarrett Allen wasn't going to matter.

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
Bolden was hyped simply because it was Duke and Kentucky.. and he was one of the few recruits left.

I'm just pointing out allen could've been ours. Idt Cal was wrong I think Cal just wanted to beat Duke out for Bolden badly. And to Jw it's true do research and you will find the answers you're looking for.

Edit: I'd totally boing Tyra. Even with that weird hairstyle
I've heard it on here many times but that's it, it's not proven except as a Rupps Rafters fact.

Shaka would still be the coach, and that seems to have been a big factor in his decision.

My point is that if all of our incredible success with players like him wasn't a deciding factor, then how we hypothetically use Jarrett Allen wasn't going to matter.
Agree Shaka being coach is a huge part. I just don't know if he would've followed without a "blueprint" like we have at UK. It's just an off season question

I'm sure Diallo wouldn't have helped.

Maybe he just wanted to be the big guy and not share the spotlight.He obviously doesn't care about winning.
or maybe he's been convinced that he can help that team win

it's worked with the recruits Stoops has gotten for football; help build this into a winning program. Maybe Bamba feels he can do that for Texas

it's worked with the recruits Stoops has gotten for football; help build this into a winning program. Maybe Bamba feels he can do that for Texas
I don't see how him being there one season will turn them into a winner.Kansas owns that conference and will again this season.Really different in football where you have to stay several seasons.

Lost their leading scorer to transfer. Won around 13 games last season. Stoops can get talent bc they have to stay 3 years. I think Bamba loves Shaka smart that much

Reactions: Bkocats
No . There was never anything to that. NO one in the know ever said that was true. A rumor . Could it of been true? sure but no one believes it to be.
Yeah I'm not as sold as you on that. Seemed like the allen camp was pretty sold on UK

I don't see how him being there one season will turn them into a winner.Kansas owns that conference and will again this season.Really different in football where you have to stay several seasons.
you misunderstand I think (probably wasn't clear)
I didn't say I think that is what will happen - actually agree with you on that aspect
I'm saying that maybe that is what BAMBA believes.

also I think that's how stoops got his first classes here, by using the same argument.

ADVERTISEMENT